Start by marking “The Anchor Book of Modern Arabic Fiction” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Anchor Book of Mod...

Denys Johnson-Davies

The Anchor Book of Modern Arabic Fiction

This dazzling anthology features the work of seventy-nine outstanding writers from all over the Arab-speaking world, from Morocco in the west to Iraq in the east, Syria in the north to Sudan in the south.
Edited by Denys Johnson-Davies, called by Edward Said “the leading Arabic-to-English translator of our time,” this treasury of Arab voices is diverse in styles and concern
Published 2006 by The American University in Cairo Press

To ask other readers questions about The Anchor Book of Modern Arabic Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anchor Book of Modern Arabic Fiction

Benjamin
about 12 stories were phenomenal, a few I even wrote down to reference later. Most are okay, some are downright unreadable, could be a translation issue, though. Definitely recommend if you have any cultural interest in the Arab world.
Lisa
Jun 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
We chose this for our book club because none of us knew anything about Arabic fiction. There are some great stories in here, but it's a lot to get through... someone should have read it first and picked out selections. As it was, even with a whole month to read it, a lot of the stories blended together in my mind. I didn't like that many of the selections were excerpts from longer works; I guess the editor did that to give us more exposure to some of the better-known novels, but it was tough eno ...more
Steve
Mar 07, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Archaeologists, the curious, travellers
Ever wandered through Diwan book store in Zamalek and wondered which if the modern Arabic novels were worth buying? OK, maybe not, but I have often felt overwhelmed while in Egypt by the choices. This anthology provides a nice selection of lesser-known modern authors from the entire Middle East, all of which are available in longer form or in multiple translated works.
Mesut Bostancı
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arabic
the selections are often so short that you can't get a sense of the writing style, and certainly not the plot of many of these selections. It would have been better to include less authors and more of each of them.
Linus
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really great collection of excepts from the work of great authors across the Arab world. Managed to create for myself a reading list of Arabic fiction from this book and I highly recommend it to anyone hoping to find a good introduction to the world of Arabic literature.
Josephina Kilzi
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautifully put, again, even though I wished it was in Arabic. I got too excited when I was reading, Sudan's own (where I come from) Tayib Saleh's excerpt, from his book 'season of migration to the north. ' the feeling was too nice
David D'Ambrosio
Someday I will work up the courage to steal this this from Samantha's bookshelf...
Suzanne
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing collection of middle eastern writers writing short stories, some never before translated. It's very interesting.
Rachel
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always read this over and over again
Jeremy
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are several very good stories, but the excerpts are so short! It's hard to get any appreciation of the story when you have (sometimes) two pages to work with.
Matt Keefe
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In English. Perfect introduction to the Arabic short story.
Phil
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While a few stories are great reads, this is overall a mediocre collection.
James Baldwin
Apr 08, 2012
Daniel
Apr 01, 2012
Robert Fanuzzi
rated it did not like it
Dec 10, 2014
rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2008
Eugenia
Jul 25, 2008
Denys Johnson-Davies (Arabic: دنيس جونسون ديڤيز) (1922-2017) was an eminent Arabic-to-English literary translator who has translated, inter alia, several works by Nobel Prize-winning Egyptian author Naguib Mahfouz, Sudanese author Tayeb Salih, Palestinian poet Mahmud Darwish and Syrian author Zakaria Tamer.

Davies, referred to as “the leading Arabic-English translator of our time” by the late Edwar