Start by marking “What Runs Over” as Want to Read:
What Runs Over

What Runs Over

Born from the isolation of rural Pennsylvania, a life of homeschooling, and psychological and physical domestic abuse, Kayleb Rae Candrilli’s memoir in verse, What Runs Over, demands attention. Unfurling and unrelenting in its delivery, Candrilli has painted “the mountain” in excruciating detail. They show readers a world of Borax cured bear hides and canned peaches, of ur ...more
Published December 2017 by YesYes Books

To ask other readers questions about What Runs Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Runs Over

Start your review of What Runs Over
Dave Newman
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, an extended narrative poem about growing up in extrememly rough circumstances on a mountain while also coming to terms with your sexual orientation. Beautiful. Painful. So much grit mixed with a genuine lyrcism. Can't wait to read their next book.
sylas
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
So beautiful, smart, raw. If I weren’t so overly-saturated in poetry right now, I think I’d love this. I’ll come back to it someday, I think.
Claudia Cortese
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
A memoir in verse about growing up queer in Appalachia, this book hooked me from the start. Each poem is untitled and understated, yet each bursts open with a story of trauma or coming out or trying to survive living on a mountain with an abusive father. I love this book
james
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
so good
Sarah Cheshire
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
stunning and haunting
Derek
I cannot recommend this enough. Slamming, gentle, thorny poetry that I guarantee will speak to you in some way.
Carly Miller
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow, what a book. Candrilli takes us into the mountains and forests of childhood pit against coming-of-age via realizing who they are and who they can become once given their own autonomy. "Hunger is all the woods left in me," Candrilli writes. I gobbled this book, its woods, its language, up.
Robin
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This is such an ambitious piece and there is so much about it that I enjoyed. As with any collection, some pieces were more successful than others, but there's great trajectory and development throughout, and definitely doesn't pull its punches.
Alex
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, queer
A shattering debut of survival, of rural queerness & its violences. Kaveh Akbar described it as "so full of energy it practically vibrates in your hand" & I couldn't agree more. What Runs Over is the kind of book you read in one sitting & come out of gasping. All of the trigger warnings. ...more
Rachel
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece! Kayleb draws the reader into their world so intimately, and once you see that world through the eyes of the main character, you need to escape it as desperately they did. They've crafted a truly important memoir.
Kelsey  May
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
HOLY SHIT
Jackie Papanier
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow y’all. I’ve never read a more dazzling, hauntingly enchanting, cinematic book. It’s ravishing & I guarantee you’ll love the way this book slams & climaxes. ...more
Missy
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Oh wow, read this through in one breath. Gritty, sexy, gutting.

I saw Kayleb read a few years ago at Lit Crawl in PDX and had the same reaction. Looking forward to what comes next.
Mercedes Rathswohl
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely powerful, albeit disturbing, book of poetry.
ariella
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Read Candrilli's Transgender Heroic in my poetry class last semester and was overwhelmed with how struck by it I was. What Runs Over is a great addition to Candrilli's canon, but I do think I prefer Transgender Heroic. Still very excited for All the Gay Saints!!
Sarah Sgro

• Anodyne
  • If They Come for Us
  • Wet Land
  • Fantasia for the Man in Blue
Kayleb Rae Candrilli is author of What Runs Over, winner of the 2016 Pamet River Prize, with YesYes Books. What Runs Over is a 2017 Lambda Literary finalist for Transgender Poetry. Candrilli is also author of All the Gay Saints, winner of the 2018 Saturnalia Book Prize and forthcoming in 2019.

Candrilli has served as the nonfiction editor of the Black Warrior Review and as a feature editor for NAN

News & Interviews