Start by marking “Balance the Birds” as Want to Read:
Balance the Birds

Balance the Birds

A follow-up to Stack the Cats, Balance the Birds is a charming book about balance and relative size. When birds spot a tree and decide to land on its branches, it’s up to the readers to help them find the perfect balance. The concepts of greater than versus less than and heavy versus light are key early math skills for toddlers, making Balance the Birds an important concep ...more
Published October 2nd 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Balance the Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balance the Birds

Start your review of Balance the Birds
susie
Oct 02, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-made-this
Today is the day! Balance the Birds is finally out!

* true story: i worked on over 40 dummies of this book. that's over 1000 sketches.
* also a true story: i broke the first rule of picture books, which is "don't put anything in the gutter" -- in this book, the tree is a scale, and it tips to either side of the gutter.
* also a true story: this book's aesthetic is inspired by my finches! pictured here is xander. i've had him for 13 years and won him in a raffle (?!)

thanks for giving my book a chan
Mila Reads Alot  ☕
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful Bright colors to capture the children's attention.
Becky
First sentence: Here come the birds! Half on the left side, and half on the right. This is how the birds balance!

Premise/plot: Susie Ghahremani is the author of Stack the Cats which I reviewed last year. Like Stack the Cats, Balance the Birds is a math-related concept book for young readers. The concept being taught is weight, size, and logic.

My thoughts: I liked Stack the Cats well enough. It may be about math, but it was also about cats.

I didn't dislike Balance the Birds. I think that's impor
Edward Sullivan
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept-books
A clever, brightly illustrated concept book about balance and relative size.
Elisabeth
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
wish the illustrations more clearly demonstrated the concept of balance. Too small and too busy.
Alana Robinson
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Silly
Kristina Jean Lareau

A bright primer to weight and balance!
Rebecca Ann
I really dig this art, and fans of stack the cats will recognize the branding immediately. Even better is the cute and easy way the book teaches math (weight and logic) as the cover tells you. I'm so pumped to read this for a visiting kindergarten class and do a balancing activity. Each page has a different bird combo and challenges the reader to talk about if it is "balanced" or not. I think this could be a really cool interactive felt story as well.
Momo
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good concept book!
Meg
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
MUST USE FOR STORYTIME FLANNELBOARD, illustrations are very reminiscent of this author's other works... which I love. Could cut and frame pages for nursery decorations, and they would match the other works. Five stars because this book balances amazing art with awesome logic-building skills for littles.
Amanda
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finding balance in life is a tricky thing; trying to figure out where and how you fit in can seem to take forever. Maybe that's why I liked this one even better than Stack the Cats. The birds and the rambunctious squirrel won me over immediately; their faces were so soulful. Beautiful book.
Lilly
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, lively and engaging! Even my 3 month old is fascinated by this birds and their antics!
Barbara
Written and illustrated by the same author-illustrator as Stack the Cats, this concept book introduces some important mathematics tenets to young readers through the use of birds. Youngsters will see the concept of lesser than and greater than, balance and weight and size as demonstrated through a flock of birds, some of the same size but one that is very large. After watching the birds flutter to and fro and contend with the arrival of an enormous bird that throws everything off balance in the ...more
Heather Harden
I'm always excited to find a new preschool STEM picture books. This one didn't quite live up to my hopes. As a group storytime read aloud, I don't think it would fly. The small size of the book and the way the birds blend in with the background on some pages would make it hard to read with a group. However, as a one on one read or putting the ebook on a big screen, I'd use it to pair with a hands on weight STEM project. As a story it's a bit forgettable but it has potential to be a preschool go- ...more
Katie
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd Susie Ghahremani book that I've read. And I think I'm officially a fan.
There is some kind of intriguing alchemy about her baby books. Their picture are very clear and vibrant. And the story is always a little strange.
I tried Stack the Cats with my Baby Time and they were slightly baffled. We may have to work up to reading another of Ghahremani's books.

Debra
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, math
A brightly colored book for young children. Very few words and great visuals as they watch the birds alight on a tree, have it bend and sway as they need to adjust their weight to stay on the branches. Count the birds as they fly in and find the balance point. What happens as some of the birds fly off? What will happen as a squirrel jumps in and later a much BIGGER bird comes to visit the tree branch.? Cause and effect as well. Lots of fun trying to guess what will happen before you turn the pag ...more
Deuce Naftel
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: elliot
I checked this book out from the library, hoping to use it with my 3 year old granddaughter. But I had a hard time figuring out where the birds were on the tree several times. I think visually it would have worked better for me if there was more distance with the tree. The tree and birds were so close up, it was hard to grasp the balance.
Kristen Hylton
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
This is a good book for teaching simple math skills to young children! If I were to do it at storytime again, I'd be sure to have a felt play to go with it or plush birds and some sort of 'tree' so the kids could have an easier time making guesses about how to balance the birds. It was a bit hard for them to understand by illustrations alone. But it was still a fun read!
Lynn
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this bright and clever book a lot. Great way to introduce the concept of balance and relative size. My only quibble was that I felt the lens was just a tad too close. I found myself wanting to pull back a bit to have more of the tree in view.
Jessie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
I didn't love this as much as I did Stack the Cats, but it's still the same kind of bright and playful. It's a little more explicit about the mathematics than Stack the Cats was. It's all about balancing, starting with creatures (birds and a squirrel) of roughly the same size and weight, and then moving on to creatures of various sizes.
Alyssa Gudenburr
This is a great book that demonstrates balancing by numbers and weight. I wish it was bigger! It would be too small to read to a group of children. I loved the illustrations that popped and the simple sentences.
Erica
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Balancing the birds. Too few birds and the tree leans to one side, too many and it leans to the other side. Then balance a bird bird with lots of little birds.

Good for teaching little ones the concepts of balance, size, and weight.
Iggi
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
Iggi's Storytime Criteria
Age group: Preschool +
Content: birds, balance
Plot: birds come and go; didn't grab me, honestly
Wordiness: medium
Length: Medium
Illustrations: cute, designerly
Other:
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We love this book! Such a hit with my 3 year old. The animals are adorable which keeps her interested, and the story gives some foundation in beginning physics as the heavier bird needs lots of lighter birds to balance the tree.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
weight/size/logic
Mary Norell Hedenstrom
Nice illustrations and possible algebra/measurement connections but the text could do more to support readers' interaction.
Liz
I really liked her other book, Stack the Cats. This one incorporates more math and how numbers compare to each other.
Michele
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Kids weren't very interested in this one. I liked it, though. I'll work it in when we make our mobile craft, see what they think.
Erin
I think I like this even better than Stack the Cats. It would be great as a flannel activity in Storytime.
Robin
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Good idea, but some of the illustrations were confusing. Maybe turn it into a flannelboard? Ages 2-5.
« previous 1 3 next »

• There's a Dragon in Your Book
  • Because
  • Snakes on a Train
  • B Is for Baby
Susie Ghahremani is a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design. Susie independently designs a whimsically illustrated stationery and gift brand titled Boygirlparty®, one of Etsy's most popular shops.

Her debut as author-illustrator -- STACK THE CATS -- was named Best Book of the Year by both Kirkus and Amazon! A Kirkus starred review declared it "a book that can expand children's thought proce

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...