Start by marking “Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness” as Want to Read:
Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness

Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  367 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The Sutra has been studied, practiced, and handed down with special care from generation to generation for 2,500 years. In these commentaries, Thich Nhat Hanh guides the reader to an understanding of the fundamental basis of the Buddhist practice and encourages application in daily life. The book describes the four methods of mindfulness: mindfulness of the body, the feeli ...more
Published September 9th 2002 by Parallax Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Transformation and Healing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transformation and Healing

deZengo
Oct 25, 2008 marked it as sacredspace-studio
The more I read, the more I want to read. This is a short passage from Hanh that I found online when I was researching the book.
------------------------------------
Anger. There's a seed of anger in every one of us. There is also a seed of fear, a seed of despair. And when the seed of anger manifests, we should know how to recognize it, how to embrace it, and how to bring [ourselves] relief. When the seed of fear manifests itself as energy in the upper level of our consciousness, we should be abl
Mariana
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
This great Sutra, I hope, will help me become more aware of the inner wounds and scars that keep me from enjoying the present moment.
Glenn
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for students of mindfulness.

A deep teaching on mindfulness from Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh, which illuminates this practice as the heart of Buddhism, practiced in still meditation and all the rest of life. As always, Thich Nhat Hanh writes for all walks of life. You need not be a Buddhist per se to take away great wisdom from his words.
Joel
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this faster than I really should have. This is more a book about spiritual practice and I read through much of it today. Obviously, I should have approached it with a greater patience--and oh, there's some irony there--but I needed to get it back to the library before heading out of town.

One part that struck me, though, was when Hanh talked about how neutral feelings and sensations can become pleasurable sensations when given the proper consideration. I'll quote:

"If we don't know how to d
James Carroll
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
If everyone read and applied the teachings in this book, the world would be a very very different place. These practices don't require that you accept any religious dogma, nor do they require that you reject whatever you may currently believe about God or the soul. Rather, they provide a set of techniques, things you can actually do, and try out for yourself. Those that try these things out, almost universally conclude that they are happier, more joyful, and more content afterwards.

This book is
Joe Tedesco
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
He talks about how many people confuse desire or wants with happiness. He also speaks on the great awareness of practice of being aware of your body mind feelings and thoughts. It was especially enlightning for me was the distinction between happy unhappy and neutral feelings or thought . He goes on to state that most of our feelings and thoughts are neutral not happy or unhappy but rather neutral. And if we can be mindful of our neutral feelings we can transform them into happy feelings and ben ...more
Demi Black Cre8tive Dreamz
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: budhism-hindu
A very easy read. Actually, I've read this book three times. (I don't get to this site often enough to update my reading list) However, every time I read this book, I discover something new in the process of of healing transformation. The mindfulness of the four establishments, help you maintain present awareness. Beautiful as are all the Thich Nhat Hanh books I've read thus far.
Jesse Passler
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
In a decade of Buddhist study, practice, and reading, Thich Nhat Hanh's commentary on the Sutra of the Four Establishments of Mindfulness is perhaps the best, most comprehensive, and most simple yet profound instruction on the importance of mindfulness in Buddhist practice, what mindfulness is, and how to appropriately and most beneficially put it in to practice.
Brett Bartow
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read. I wouldn't say it was for beginners. A more advanced book. Probably hit it just right in that it showed me things I was ready to see. Helped me take the next step in making my practice more active. Great discussion of how to use meditation to look deeply and transform your suffering.
Pro Mukherjee
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredible depth within the simple language and practical exercises of the Sutra - which Thich Nhat Hanh brings to life with his deep understanding and compassion.

An actual experience of healing and transformation ...
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • How to Meditate: A Practical Guide
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • Each Moment Is the Universe: Zen and the Way of Being Time
  • The Bliss of Inner Fire: Heart Practice of the Six Yogas of Naropa
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...