Start by marking “The Study of Silence (Lady Evelyn Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
The Study of Silence (Lady Evelyn Mystery #3)

The Study of Silence

(Lady Evelyn Mystery #3)

Lady Evelyn Carlisle has returned home to England, where she is completing her degree at St. Hugh's, a women's college in Oxford. Her days are spent poring over ancient texts and rushing to tutorials. All is well until a fateful morning, when her peaceful student life is turned on its head. Stumbling upon the gruesome killing of someone she thought she knew, Evelyn is plun ...more
Published February 27th 2018 by Bookbaby

To ask other readers questions about The Study of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Study of Silence

Start your review of The Study of Silence (Lady Evelyn Mystery #3)
James
The Study of Silence is the third book in the 'Lady Evelyn Mystery' series written by Malia Zaidi. A cross between historical fiction and a cozy mystery, readers will find themselves whisked away to a time nearly a century ago when life was quite different. Solving murders was more complicated without the internet, cell phones, and other modern technology. Lady Evelyn must rely on her strong sense of intellect and intuition, and even then, people weren't as direct as they are today.

In this inst
Malia
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Forgive my bias, but I am rather fond of this one:-)
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
“I cannot quite imagine her—slender, fearful girl that she is—ramming a knife into a beating heart, not once, but repeatedly. The very thought brings a taste of bile to my throat and I take an unwilling sip of milky brew, privately wishing for a drop of something stronger. I am getting nowhere”.

Oh but you are getting somewhere Lady Carlisle...you always do ..
.....we love your tenacity!!
Even Inspector Stanton wouldn’t have ‘Evelyn’ any other way!!!
Sure he thinks she meddles in every
Lee
Lady Evelyn is studying at Oxford when one of her professors is murdered and she discovers the body. She’d briefly met the detective in charge of the case, Stanton, previously and obviously the book follows as she takes up the mantle of amateur sleuth and investigates alongside him.

This is the third book which has featured Lady Evelyn and, as I haven’t read the first two in the series, I have missed some of the back story of the characters. I didn't have any trouble picking up on who was
Sophia
Another Lady Evelyn murder mystery adventure set in the sparkling 1920's that provides an engaging murder for her to solve while she ponders the lot of women and faces a little more of her past.

The last book left Evie and Daniel looking to return to England after a long sojourn and several adventures since either of them last touched home soil. Evie has put off Daniel though she knows for certain that she loves him. He has returned to London to attempt reintegrating into his family b
Archana Aggarwal
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Net Galley. A delightful cozy mystery that had me looking for the first two books in the series. Perfect for a commute.
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

The Study of Silence, third in Lady Evelyn Mystery was cozy historical fiction with new murder mystery and adventure of Evelyn in Oxford. It was about challenge women faced in 1920s, social differences and preconceptions, love, betrayal, abduction, mistreatment and abuse and murder.

Book Proceeded one year after Evelyn’s previous adventure in France, with arrival of Briony’s (Evelyn’s cousin) baby in the world of Evelyn w
Susan
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
It's 1926 and Lady Evelyn Carlisle has finally returned to England, to complete her degree at St. Hugh's, Oxford. Following an end of term dinner party the body of one of the tutor's is found the next morning.
As Evelyn discovered the body she feels the need to investigate the murder, hoping to receive the help of Detective Stanton who she had previously rescued.
An enjoyable, gently paced, character driven mystery which takes its time to resolve.
A NetGalley Book
books are love
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall I really enjoyed this entertaining story. I liked the plot twists and turns. I loved Daniel and the detective inspector. The plot had several subplots that keep you on your toes and guessing and you never really truly know who killed Longfellow until the very end and even than it is surprising.

We see so many stories evolve in this mystery. We have the story of Evelyn and her journey in finding herself and her future. How she keeps Daniel at a distance out of fear and needs to
Amy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is the 3rd in a series but can be read as a stand-alone. However, I think I would have preferred to have read the other 2 in the series as this book references back a lot. Almost everything from the other 2 books are explained without any major spoilers, which I was glad of.

I enjoyed the main character, Lady Evelyn, and seeing her develop as the story unfolded. I also really enjoyed how progressive the female characters were in this book. They were not afraid to push bounda
Lindsay
The Study of Silence is baffles me as to what the true plot is. Though, it is good read. I know there a murder in the book. Why, the person is murdered, you will not by no mean until the end of the book.

I know the story is somewhat told in a third person i believe anyway. I was wondering if was more about human nature or if the story was more set to be about Evelyn. Why someone is after her when she not does much to find out. Evelyn seems to get sucked into the murder and danger acci
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A suitably dark English noir, country murder mystery. While this reads perfectly fine as a stand alone, I think this series is best enjoyed in sequence.
It deals with dark topics that are as timely today as they were in the 1920s, the era in which this book is set. Women are struggling to find their place while still trained to please parents, authority figures, and for the most part, men in general.
If you have even a passing interest in classic literature you will appreciate this mystery.
EmmaFz
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This third Lady Evelyn book is probably my favorite of the series so far. Apart from the interesting (and relevant) mystery I have enjoyed the element of light heartedness in this book, the tongue in cheek moments, as well as her thoughts about life and the world in her time, often very relatable to our time and our questions as well.
For me, even though the story is really engaging, it is a character based book.
Evelyn and a number of other characters in the series feel very real, touchable, th
Peggy
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful cozy mystery that takes you back in time... Which I am really starting to love these types of books! Event though this book is part of a series and as always I always recommend to read a series in order you can read this one as a stand a lone and be able to follow with no troubles.
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This book was received from the publisher in return for an honest review

When I got the email asking if I’d like to take part in a weekend blog blitz for The Study of Silence I was intrigued, the plot sounded fascinating, and while I tend to stick to police procedurals by authors like Ian Rankin and Alex Gray, and more recently Carol Wyer and James Oswald I’ve read the odd book that falls into the cosy crime and mystery area of crime fiction and enjoyed them so I volunteered and I was
Kirsty Stanley
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Despite being the third book in the Lady Evelyn series it didn’t matter that I hadn’t read the previous two; author Malia does a good job of introducing all of the new and existing characters.

Told from Evelyn, or Evie’s perspective I immediately was drawn to her as a character. Like any murder mystery “detective” Evie has a knack of being around when someone is killed. In this book she has returned from Greece and is studying Classics at Oxford. I loved the inclusion of Greek myth and history a
T R
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Lady Evelyn is back in England. Both she and Daniel have returned to England after a long vacation and much excitement. She’s in Oxford and he is in London. They see each other on sporadic weekends. He returned for his family business and she to attend a women’s college in Oxford. All is copacetic until a murder takes place involving a professor and Evie can’t help but look for and track down clues. It is in this quest where the story tension and conflict arises and the author involves the reade
Homerun2
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads

This third entry in the Lady Evelyn series was a bit unsatisfying. After the brilliant second book, this one seemed to spend a little too much time in philosophizing. And what has seemed to be admirable independence in the main character is beginning to feel like persistent foolhardiness.

Lady Evelyn, after tragically losing her parents at a very young age and being raised by a stern aunt, seems to finally be coming to terms with her life situation. The series beg
Tracey
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
*This ARC was received in exchange for an honest review*

Set in the 1920’s this is the story of Lady Evelyn Carlisle who has returned to Oxford to finish her degree at St Hugh’s Women’s College.
It seems that trouble finds Evie again where she comes across a murder, but that doesn’t stop her trying to investigate this murder herself by tracking down the clues and putting herself in danger much to the chagrin of the new Police Detective Lucas Stanton and her family.
Reading this is so
Bill Pitkin
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great edition. When is the next coming out?

I enjoy these books even more than other historical fiction mysteries because they are so embedded in real places I can google earth to my heart’s content. I have been physically to Oxford, but now the narration has taken me down the streets, and into buildings. Thanks!
Wilda Finn
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story

Looking forward to the next book. This female protagonist is a winner. I do wish she would make up her mind about Daniel though. 😀
Moria Sheehan
Apr 03, 2018
sally heath
Apr 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Quilted Heart Omnibus (Quilted Hearts #1-3)
  • Sovereignty
  • The Camelot Kids: Volume One (The Camelot Kids, #1-4)
  • The Misadventures of Michael McMichaels, Vol. 4: Double-Dog Dare
  • Killer in the Band
  • A Heart's Disguise (A Journey of the Heart, #1)
  • Saffire
  • A Plain & Simple Heart (The Amish of Apple Grove, #2)
  • The Journal Of Biddy Owens, Birmingham, Alabama, 1948
  • Abuse of Discretion (Dre Thomas Series Book 3)
  • Michelangelo's Ghost (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #4)
  • Last Stop in Brooklyn (Mary Handley, #3)
  • The Devoted (The Bishop's Family #3)
  • Dawn of Destiny (Epic, #1)
  • Who the Bishop Knows (The Amish Bishop Mysteries #3)
  • Hearts Made Whole (Beacons of Hope, #2)
  • Kaya and Lone Dog: A Friendship Story (American Girls: Kaya, #4)
  • Vostok

Hello and thanks for stopping by!
I am the author of A Poisonous Journey, A Darker Shore, The Study of Silence and The Golden Hour the first four novels in the new Lady Evelyn Mystery series.
I'm always happy to discover new books to add to my toppling pile:-)

Check out my blog, The Princess and the Pen: http://www.princessandpen.com/

or get in touch here:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Malia-Zaidi-...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MaliaZaidi

Hello and thanks for stopping by!
I'm always happy to discover new books to add to my toppling pile:-)

Check out my blog, The Princess and the Pen: http://www.princessandpen.com/

or get in touch here:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Malia-Zaidi-...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MaliaZaidi

Reviews Published

Lady Evelyn Mystery (4 books)
  • A Poisonous Journey (Lady Evelyn Mystery #1)
  • A Darker Shore (Lady Evelyn Mystery #2)
  • The Golden Hour (Lady Evelyn Mystery #4)