Start by marking “Obsidian (Los Reyes Dragones nº 1)” as Want to Read:
Obsidian (Los Reyes Dragones nº 1)

Obsidian

(The Dragon Kings #1)

La joven Aspen de diecisiete años de edad es una adicta al paracaidismo, al alpinismo, en fin, a la adrenalina. Toda su vida se ha sentido fascinada por los dragones que rondan cerca de su casa en el Parque Yellowstone. Sí, dragones. Aunque ningún humano ha podido acercarse lo suficiente a ellos como para tocarlos.
Excepto Aspen.
A pesar de que la mayoría de la gente evita
Published February 11th 2017 by Red Empress Publishing (first published February 17th 2016)

Blackinky
I originally bought this book because the preview didn't seem too bad and there were some good reviews on here. At first it started out okay, but then it quick devolved into something I really had to push myself to get through. Fortunately it was short.

All of the characters act as if they are emotionally dead. They don't seem to have much of a reaction to any of the major things that happen. A lot of characters die in this book, but their deaths are usually followed up by the family playing a ga
Reviews of  A Shameless Fangirl
Aspen lives her life on the edge, not to mention her love for a notoriously dangerous species, Dragons. Set in modern day North America Aspen lives in your average teenage life. There are mobiles, computers, television... and Dragons? Yeah that's where things got a little curious. I love the concept of this world, the fact that Dragons have always existed within our modern day society, and how we have adapted our world around them.

Except that we don't really get an explanation of how we adapted
Amanda
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s my own fault, you know. Agreeing to review one of her books. I get a copy and start reading it, and that’s it. Nothing else gets done. I’m totally hooked.

Warning: Although I don’t feel there are spoilers here, I do mention some key facts about the book. If you want to be completely surprised, take my word for it that this is worth your time and stop reading this review. Go read the book instead.

Although it’s sometimes hard to tell who the protagonist is in a book with multiple points of v
Ashley
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can see this and other reviews on my blog: Book Nerd Paradise

As you can see, there's not much of a summary to go on for this one. Hopefully I can help fill in the blanks so you can decide for yourself.

Obsidian is a quick read at around 200 pages but it's compelling enough to make you want to read straight through.

Our MC is Aspen, which is a name a really love here. It shows her outdoorsy nature. Aspen loves taking pictures of dragon, even though most people think they eat humans. Then, we
Aspen is a bit of a daredevil. She is the only one in her sleepy little town near Yellowstone brave enough to try to get close enough to dragons to photograph them. It is this bravery that captures the notice of Obsidian, the newly appointed King of the local dragon community as he fulfills his required 10 year study experience as a human. Aspen really doesn't like "Sid" the human, but they bond over dragons. They seem to be the only ones that think dragons are not to blame in the recent murders ...more
Millie
Mar 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*shhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeshhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeee*

^^ that is this plot GASPING FOR AN EDITOR. Nothing made sense. Unlikable characters everywhere. Stilted, amateur dialogue that sounds nothing like normal human conversation. I am disappointed because the premise is effing interesting and, while I kind of despise shapeshifter stories, I'm weirdly into dragon shifters. But this is barely coherent in some parts.

This reads like a first draft. A bad one that does NOT handle PTSD adeptly. Which is offensive
Prashansa
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has me dying for answers because it ended as a cliffhanger!!! ughhhh I NEED TO READ THE OTHER BOOKS OF THIS SERIES!! WHO IS THE DRAGON THAT EATS THE PEOPLE??? Does Aspen die? Will Obsidian and Aspen end up together? I have so many questions. But this book was seriously amazing. I could not stop reading this. You won't be able to put down the book before finishing it.
Parvati Patil
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
3.5
That ending, though.
V

I have stalled for a day reviewing this book... Honestly, though, I don't really know why. Obsidian by Kimberly Loth was a pleasant surprise. To be honest, I totally judge a book by its cover (admit it, everyone secretly does) and when I looked upon this cover my thoughts were something like, "Ew, why am I going to read this again?" I hate the cover, but I was overjoyed with what I found inside.

The story follows a girl named Aspen. She lives the normal life... almost. Ever since she was
Sandra
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, own-it
2.5 stars. I liked parts of it and I am engaged in the story enough that I want to find out what happens next but it suffers from the usual YA flaws of insta-love, inattentive, clueless parents and unbelievable coincidences. Aspen was hard to connect with and not overly likable. She seemed very self-involved and was often very unsympathetic - such as in relation to her twin brother and his anxiety and not seeming that bothered by the death of her supposed friends other than people suspecting her ...more
Roberta
Jul 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
BOOK CONTAINS RAPE SCENE. I was quite enjoying this until 80% of the way through, we have a rape scene, then an attempted rape and kidnap with a gun. Followed by a dragon being killed, for reasons it turns out aren’t true. Then one of the main characters is possibly killed (but probably not as the next book is named after her). Then it ends. Definitely won’t be bothering to continue, though I enjoyed the first 80%. Would have been 3 or 4 stars without the rape and attempted rape. I read for ente ...more
Kavitha Sivakumar
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Young adult novel, creative way of describing dragons, hooking narrative flow, still...lacking something...credibility of the human emotions and behavior described here?
B
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another reminder that a book should not be solely based on plot, character development and world building are key. It was such an interesting idea but lacked execution.
Kelly
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Obsidian is a dragon that really just wanted to coast through life with Skye, his girlfriend/dragon. He was one of several dragons (not blood brothers but called brothers) who would someday become king of the dragons. Obsidian didn’t want it. He was also supposed to spend 10 years as a human so he could read and learn. He put that off until the last minute. That last minute is when he found himself not appearing as a gold dragon anymore but a black one. There is only one black dragon and that dr ...more
Maghon Thomas
am completely hooked!! I loved this one and I adored Aspen with her crazy antics and Sid with his seriousness and even Pearl the sister. This was a fun adventure with twists in dragon lore and some seriously strict politics and a murderous dragon on the loose. I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm dying for book two!!

Aspen is the danger child. Her parents are park rangers so she's constantly out in the wild doing crazy things, like chasing dragons. I love that dragons are part of the real
Micaela R Grill
Not for me

Oddly perfunctory writing style flattened the story into something that read more like a synopsis than a finished product. The heroine, Aspen, scudded along with about the same emotional depth for all situations -- had lunch, car broke down, lost a friend, got scolded by authority figure, recalled traumatic event, got dressed up for big date, was late to class -- ho hum, it's all the same. Her insistence on vilifying the new love interest because he strongly resembles a past tormentor
May Sage
I loved a lot of this about that book to start with: the idea, the world, the plot. The first few chapters, I was pretty much ready to give it a 5/5
The writing got awkward in places, but it wasn't too much of an issue. The short, staggered chapters at the end were a bit amateurish, but again, no problem,

What got to me first was the fact that the grumpy teenagers were overplayed; Tori, particularly, but Aspen also had her twelve-year-old moments. A lot of them.

But ultimately, what ruined it was
Marisa
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect with this one, but I absolutely fell in love with Aspen. She’s a spunky badass who is willing to take on the world. I found Aspen’s approach to life endearing and even inspirational in some ways. Despite being willing to try anything, she also takes care of those who are close to her and has her own areas in life that she hesitates in.

Obsidian is clueless, but has good intentions. I thought some of his approaches a little creepy, but he redeemed himself in the
Karla
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons
Sigh. Instalove, instalove everywhere!

Everything happened so fast, I swear I got whiplash. Too many questions left unanswered, even if I can predict how a few things will turn out in the next book. There are so many holes in the story that I hope gets improved on in the sequel.
Teya Peck
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huh, this book caught me off guard. In a good way. It was a new author and that always makes me nervous. The author dud great! Even a deep issue of scarring and healing. I'm moving on to the next installment of this series. Hoping it stays clean with a good story line like this one.
Leslee
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. I haven't been able to read about dragons for a long time. Just haven't been able to get into them. This one was a little slow in the first chapter but then took off and I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to read more of Kimberly Loth's books.
_Blues_
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really cool and interesting characters and a pretty unique plot.
Megan
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ummm.....that ending was abrupt. is that all?
Heather
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the series, but the first book was definitely my favorite. The third book felt like a lot of repeat from the first book, just with different characters.
Kaitlynne
This wasn't my favorite book in the whole wide world, but I loved every second that I was reading it. AND I read it in one sitting. Does that make any sense whatsoever? No, it absolutely does not.

So let's talk about my conflicting opinions, shall we?

Things that I L O V E D:

1. Friends to Lovers trope: It is one of my absolute favorite tropes in the whole wide world. I thought that the dynamic between Sid and Aspen was hilarious. I loved how she was always giving him a bad time about EVERYTHING a
Elyse
If you have a Kindle Unlimited account, this book series is free.

There is not much setting as to how or why, but dragons are living in the normal human world, like any animal. Human prefer to stay far from them, since they are quite scary.

Obsidian is of the royal dragon line and is chosen as the next dragon king. To complete his ascension, he must spend the next ten years as a human. His older brother Prometheus is spending the time with him as his mentor to the human world.

Aspen is one of the
Evelyn
Aaaaaaaahm ok....that was weird. I constantly had the feeling I missed something. Some moments were just left out which I thought would be meaningful moments in the story...like their first flight together or something.
Overall I didn't really liked the characters....actually that's wrong. I could have liked them, but they were just so shallow. No depth and partially I found them really rude and childish. Yeah, they are teenagers but I just found them to be very unsympathetic.
The heroine was an
Chrystal
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing to read a book where it's not play by play, minute by minute even second by second of what they are thinking or doing, brushing their teeth, clothes to wear, what to eat, who's walking the dog, etc. Lol Days or weeks can go by without an interruption of the story line. I really liked this book and half way finished with the 2nd book. Aspen is your spunky, daredevil young girl who falls in love with Obsidian the dragon but not realizing that Sid is the dragon she really gives him a run ...more
Diane
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s really like a 3 1/2. I liked the story and I’m on book 3 currently but it wasn’t one of those can’t put it down stay up all night to finish kind of series’s.

I loved the female lead. She was actually a really normal character and wasn’t stupid like a lot of female leads in paranormal fantasies. She reminded me a little bit of Anna from Sweet Evil.

The male lead is ok. He’s not on my book boyfriend list though. I think maybe he just seems a little too normal LOL! And I was kind of like ok wh
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Young Adult Book ...: Obsidian ~ September #3 Series 1 2 Sep 09, 2018 08:49AM

• Shock Me (Shock Me, #1)
  • Howl (Winter Pass Wolves #1)
  • Dark Innocence (Dark, #1.5)
  • Atone (A Fairytale Trilogy, #2)
  • Hades (Modern Descendants, #1)
  • External Forces (The Laws of Motion #1)
  • Aequus (The Royal Protector Academy #2)
  • Zocopalypse (Death Fields, #1)
  • Torn (Reflections #2)
  • Fields of Air (Magnificent Devices, #10)
  • The Bolingbroke Chit (Love Takes Root Book 4)
  • The Duke and I (Forever Yours, #2)
  • Dylan (Bowen Boys, #3)
  • Rush for Love (Snow Kissed Love, #3)
  • Jolt: An American Time-Travel Romance (Lightning Riders, #1)
  • A Beauty So Beastly (Beastly #1)
  • Dark Moon (Red Moon, #3)
  • A Springtide Meeting
Kimberly Loth can’t decide where she wants to settle down. She’s lived in Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Utah, California, Oregon, and South Carolina. She finally decided to make the leap and leave the U.S. behind for a few years. Currently, she lives in Cairo, Egypt with her husband and two kids.

She is a high school math teacher by day (please don’t hold that against her) and YA author by night.

The Dragon Kings (5 books)
  • Aspen (The Dragon Kings, #2)
  • Valentine (The Dragon Kings, #3)
  • Skye (The Dragon Kings, #4)
  • The Kings (The Dragon Kings #5)
“What was she supposed to do with all the Xes? Whoever put letters in math was crazy.” 0 likes
“top, just to race to the bottom. Travis dug in his bag and found his camera. The air around him suddenly felt ten degrees warmer. Sweat beaded on Travis’s forehead. A hot wind whooshed from above him. He clutched at his camera and looked up. The golden underbelly of the dragon was only about ten feet above him, flying over him quickly. The thing had to be a hundred feet long from the snout to the tip of its tail. Travis felt his jeans go wet. If he lived to tell this tale, he’d leave out that detail. He reminded himself to breathe. As fast as it had come, it was gone. Travis couldn’t move. He watched the dragon turn and head back toward him. Travis clutched the camera and took a picture as the dragon opened its wide mouth. Its teeth were three feet long and wicked sharp. Seconds before the jaws clamped down on him, he dropped the camera. The air from the dragon’s throat blistered his skin, but it didn’t spew fire. Travis’s final thought was, What a horrible way to die. As the dragon flew away, thoroughly pleased with his meal, he didn’t realize he left behind not one, but two souvenirs. The camera. And a foot. Chapter One The sea’s salty air reached into the hideout and woke Obsidian. Not ready to get up, he stretched his wing, feeling for Skye. Instead of finding her warmth, he met the grimy cave floor. A shot of panic zipped from his horns to his tail. She” 0 likes