Start by marking “Basketball Jones” as Want to Read:
Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones

E. Lynn Harris has wowed and seduced more than three million readers with the wicked drama and undeniable heart in his novels. Now he’s back with another winner sure to top the bestseller lists—a rip-roaring tale of sex, secrets, betrayal . . . and blackmail.

Aldridge James “AJ” Richardson is living the good life. He has a gorgeous town house in always-flavorful New
Published January 27th 2009 by Doubleday (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Basketball Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basketball Jones

Start your review of Basketball Jones
Carmen
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with an Interest
Sometimes I don't know if I chose the life I lead or if it chose me. No, I don't mean the age-old question about whether or not one picks one's sexual orientation (I know I was born this way), because I've always been comfortable with the skin I'm in. I'm talking about the situation I'm in with Dray. Why couldn't I have picked someone who wanted only to be with me? Why didn't I meet a man who was man enough to admit who he really was?

I remember reading this book when it came out in January of
Diane Wallace
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An awesome read! spicy,steamy,soap opera and drama filled storyline that will keep everyone reading over and over again because it's that good and so well written...recommend to all..(paperback!)
CrabbyPatty
This is my first E. Lynn Harris book, and while the plot is like a beach read / soap opera, there is just something about the book that made it compelling. A.J. (Aldridge James Richardson) has a 7-year-relationship with Dray Jones, a professional basketball player he met at Clemson when Dray has a freshman (and A.J. a senior getting his degree in architectural design).

A.J. is the keeper of the secret - devoting his life to Dray, setting aside his career (other than charity projects) and ready
Reno
Jul 22, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the first novel I read by E. Lynn Harris. It's about a guy named AJ who is in love with Dray, an NBA basketball star. For me, it played out a little too much like a soap opera, but I can appreciate the sincerity in AJ's voice. What resonated for me was how honest their love was for each other, even if they had to succumb to society's pressures. In the end, does love prevail?

With the passing of E. Lynn Harris, I appreciate his contribution to the literary world, tackling controversial
Anne Holcomb
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
All right, I'll admit that I picked up the audio book of "Basketball Jones" because of its cover image! : ) This is the first book I have read/listened to by E. Lynn Harris and I'm very sorry to see he passed away in 2009 because I think I am a fan. The story centers around an issue I had never really thought about before: closeted gay male athletes in professional sports.

Aldridge "AJ" Richardson is the secret boyfriend of a hot NBA player, Drayton Jones. Dray has been taking care of AJ ever
Ozimandias
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
I've read several of Harris's books and am deeply grateful to him for even writing books for the broad market about not only gay men, but minority gay men. That I can say without reserve. I tend to lose my admiration however, when I start reading the books, which tend to be about the gossipy and intriguing lives of a supposed African American elite, where everyone is wealthy, beautiful and still connected to their mamas and comfort food. In this book, you have a beautiful black man with soccer ...more
Aղցela W.
This was one of Mr. Harris best books I loved how the story flowed and how real it was. This was my second time reading this book Mr. Harris was my first introduction to M/M. AJ Richardson is living the good life he lives in a nice townhouse in New Orleans that his lover pays for. Drayton "Dray" Jones has it all NBA career a secret his lover AJ who tutored him in high school when some of the guys on the team start questioning his relationship with AJ he marries Judi who I didn't like. AJ goes ...more
Sara
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This was addicting and pretty problematic (fatphobic and misogynistic, to name two specifically). It ends how I wanted it to end, but it took a long ass time to get there. Maybe it's just me, but we spend so much time in AJ's head, but some of the best details aren't revealed til the end!! Was it supposed to be a series? I think Harris died in 2010 and this book is set in 2007, so idk if maybe he was planning on doing more for AJ.
Anyway, I always wanted to read E Lynn Harris and now I have! I
Jay DeMoir
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
AJ was W E A K! I almost don't even feel sorry for him for the things that happened in the book due to his own behavior. The only thing I feel bad about is what happened to him as a teenager.

I did appreciate the fast paced plot. it was also nice seeing the 2007/2008 celeb references. #nostalgic
Shelby P
Aug 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
LD  Durham
May 15, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was tossed at me, so I walked into it pretty blind. But I admit after the first page I was hooked.

I've read E. Lynn Harris before. In fact, his was the very first gay book I ever touched back in my early teen years. And, amazingly enough, it dealt with the exact same thing: a gay man falling in love with and willing to play secret lover to a "straight" guy. Angst and frustration abounds. But Harris got me to feel not just frustration at witnessing the story, but I felt the same
OOSA
Feb 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Time Out

E. Lynn Harris' latest endeavor, "Basketball Jones," takes readers into a very familiar setting. Aldridge James "AJ" Richardson is an openly gay man. The love of his life, however, is not. Dray Jones, an NBA player, has been involved with AJ since college. Because of society's prejudices, his status as an athlete, and his family, AJ has been sworn to secrecy about their relationship. But when someone threatens it all, is it time to come out of the closet?

"Basketball Jones" is a very
Elisa
Sep 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Much of this was a soap opera. There did become a mystery element halfway through, and I was intrigued to see how that would play out. But for most of it it was kind of a sappy romance novel. The characterizations were strong, but of a variety of weak-willed characters!

It was, however, a very quick read. I read it in one afternoon!
AL
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
E. Lynn Harris (may he rest in piece) is and has always been a brilliant write. Needless to say I finished this book in less then two days. It was a really great story, although a little too far fetched for the averaged brotha. But I loved it.
Sharmaine
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book I read over the summer was basketball jones. I realy enjoyed this book. this was about two men that had been dateing for seven years and his friends still did not know about him being on the down low. The two main characters of this book was AJ and Dray.
Chineka Williams
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From the first word of this book I wanted to know more about the main character and read as many pages as possible.
Shanika Turner
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A page turner could not put it down.

Davey Kirk
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sorry but this book made me questions everymans sexuality! Great book though!
Lisa
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Way out of my normal reading. Well written. Good characterizations. Interesting plot twists.

I would read him again.
SℓιM
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
good book ,very interesting, i give this. book a 5 star...
Daisya Spencer
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
April
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my second time reading Basketball Jones. I have this book in hardcover and signed by one of my author idols. It's a sacred treasure so when I got the email from BookBub that the ebook was on sale for $1.99, I jumped right on that.

Reading this book a second time gave me an insight into relationships with celebrities that I haven't explored yet in my own writing. I think that's why I love this book. It's not just a star-crossed lovers romance. It's a story of friendship, betrayal, and
Carlton Mckenzie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
E. Lynn Harris novel Basketball Jones is truly a breathtaking piece of writing on scarifices and how one can in some way loose their sense of self. AJ's character finds himself in a relationship with Dray (the guy chasing his dreams) while AJ is kept in a fashionably expensive closet because of love.

At first all is well for AJ because he's hopelessly in love with Dray and wants to keep a promise of keeping their secret. But as time goes by AJ begins to realise how much of himself he has lost in
Buck S.
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I remember this book...it was the first book I ever read by this author. I also remember than maybe a week after reading this, it was announced that he had died. I loved the book back then...but looking back on it now as an older guy....The blackmail part was kind of predictable, and did it really take the whole novel for AJ to realize what he did with Dray? Dray and AJ relationship was my favorite part of the book, the other plot points were just boring...Maurice, Jade, and the homoerotic ...more
Robert Kingett
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would wager that this would be dick lit. I kept getting really frustrated at all of the characters and their actions of, either, stupidity, or just one dimensional behavior. There is not a lot to remember from this book. It is just a light read that will be an entertaining soap opera fellow for gay men. It was often aggravating that there was not really a threat of danger or a conflict. In fact, I actually wanted Drey to be outed so that the characters would have something to face but that ...more
Nicholas Falconer
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Not his best novel but I really enjoy E. Lynn Harris’s work. This particular story was very predictable but I still found it to be a page turner. The main character could be insufferable at some points but mostly likable. I enjoyed all the references made to major events in 2007 - 2008. It really felt like a time capsule. The sex scenes were very brief and to the point which I didn’t mind because the plot was more compelling. I’d say this could be a quick read if you have nothing to do one day.
PHONTAINE
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW
BASKETBALL JONES
By: E. Lynn Harris

*Heart Pounding
This book is a really good read. It had moments where I felt like I was really watching a movie and everything was playing out right in front of me. The only thing I did not like is that I thought it was really going to take me to another place towards the end of the book, but it didn't. It didn't end with a cliff hanger and that's cool. All books don't end with you wanting a part 2. 4 stars
Eliza
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh. I’ve read better from the author. It was a solid story with a shaky ending. Lots of pop culture crutches & conveniently placed conversations (as well as some darlings that should have been slain in editing because hey added nothing to the story).
Deedee Henson
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I've never given this man books anything less than a 4 star but this didn't read like an E Lynn Harris book. I definitely missed the sophistication of his writing
Andrew
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
LIVE!! Cleveland Cavaliers VS Brooklyn Nets | Online 1 1 Nov 22, 2017 07:06AM

• 2nd Time Around
  • Got to Be Real: Four Original Love Stories
  • B-Boy Blues: A Seriously Sexy, Fiercely Funny, Black-on-Black Love Story
  • Addicted
  • On the Down Low: A Journey into the Lives of 'Straight' Black Men Who Sleep with Men
  • How Stanley Got His Back in Groove
  • Black Friday
  • Bad Men and Wicked Women
  • Who Asked You?
  • Still Hood (Hood Rat #2)
  • Before We Were Wicked
  • The Best of Everything (Reverend Curtis Black, #6)
  • The Man in 3B
  • The Prodigal Son (Reverend Curtis Black #11)
  • The Darkest Child
  • Casting the First Stone (Reverend Curtis Black, #1)
  • Hood Rat (Hood Rat #1)
  • The Best-Kept Secret (Reverend Curtis Black, #3)
E. Lynn Harris was born in Flint, Michigan and raised, along with three sisters, in Little Rock, Arkansas. He attended the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville where he was the school's first black yearbook editor, the first black male Razorbacks cheerleader, and the president of his fraternity. He graduated with honors with a degree in journalism.

Harris sold computers for IBM, Hewlett-Packard,