Start by marking “Realm of Ruins (The Nissera Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Realm of Ruins (The Nissera Chronicles, #2)

Realm of Ruins

(The Nissera Chronicles #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Valory’s power is different . . . it’s dangerous, unruly, and destructive. But can she channel it to crush a cunning enemy and save the realm from chaos?

Welcome to Nissera, land of three kingdoms and home to spectacular magic.

A century after her legendary ancestors overcame a bloodthirsty tyrant, seventeen-year-old Valory Braiosa attends a training academy for elicromance
Expected publication: December 4th 2018 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Realm of Ruins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Realm of Ruins

Cait • A Page with a View
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-arcs, ya-fantasy
This is a companion novel to Kingdom of Ash and Briars, but you definitely don't need to read that first. There are some references to events in the distant past that might spoil parts of the first book, but otherwise you could totally follow this story on its own since it reads like a standalone.

This had SO many YA fantasy elements I love that I was freaking out in the first half. The story was like everything I wanted to see... There's a magic school, a test of powers, a council with their ow
Brooke Buchanan
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading an early copy of Realm of Ruins, and I could not "put it down" (as it were). The story hits the ground running and maintains a quick pace while still allowing for plenty of time getting to know the characters and how their journeys affect them. My favorite types of stories are the ones where you can't begin to guess where the story is headed next, compelling me to keep flipping the page and unfolding new corners of its world, and that is exactly what RoR does here.

I love
Kelly Brigid
Oct 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
I AM HYPER-VENTILATING RIGHT NOW! I NEED THIS BOOK!!!! THIS IS EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!!

Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Realm of Ruins (Nissera Chronicles #2) by Hannah West, 464 pages. Holiday House, December 2018. $19.

Language: PG (5 swears, 0 ‘f’); Mature Content: G; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: MS, HS - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

In the ages since Bristal was thrown into the pond and discovered her elicrin powers, elicrin powers have been harnessed, tamed, and doled out to those “in favor”. Valory only meant to support her best friend as she underwent her trial, but Valory touches the Waters and destroys t
Amanda Hagerty
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. In return for my honest thoughts and review. I am so glad I won this book. I really enjoyed it. Now you don't have to read the first one. But I highly recommend that you do read the first book. Because there a lot information that refer back to book one. This book is about a young girl Valory who is training for a eliccromancer stone. Then on her birthday party she fellows her friend to the magical water. Then gets sent to prison for a crime that she didn ...more
Dana Linde
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this book as part of a goodreads giveaway. I would not have purchased this book on my own, so I'm glad I won it since it was such an enjoyable read. Like all fantasy books, it's sometimes hard to keep track of the unique settings, names and experiences, but this book was worth the effort. I especially liked how the author subtly tied experiences within the book to fairy tales we have grown up with. My only real criticism which leads to to a 4.5 rating rather than a 5 is how the final clima ...more
Chasty
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-read
I would call this a back story fantasy. To me this story gives you the story of how Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Snow White came about and I absolutely loved it. Valory is our hero that puts it all into action. This story just made me go wow I can see that being the back story. Well written and executed beautifully.
USOM
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

What I loved about Realm of Ruins is that it looks about the cost of ambitions and the price of the rules when they are broken. It's almost like a mixture of Beauty and the Beast with The Little Mermaid and more! It feels like this blending of stories you know, but always with a new twist, a different option - another ending. One of the things I adore about this book is that i
Erin Arkin
Full review to come
Anika G.
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewers
Realm of Ruins is a really good book with a strong plot. It explained the characters so thoroughly that I did not even know that it was the second book in a series. However, I think that people should read the first book in the series to fully understand what's going on.
Kali Katzmann
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome awesome awesome book! For anyone who appreciates a book with strong female characters, sexy and intelligent men, Disney references, fantasy and magic....this is the book for you! And that is really just the tip of the iceberg. I read this book in ONE NIGHT. I could not put it down, and I was crazy tired the next day. I didn't care though. This is the kind of book that leaves you wanting more. Which is wonderful and frustrating :) Hannah West -- write faster!!! I need more books.

This is
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Realm of Ruins took everything I loved about Kingdom of Ash and Briars--the complex characters, unique magic system, awesome antagonists, and gorgeous writing--and amped it all up. West's latest novel is dark and intense, with intricate plotting and an underdog main character you'll love to cheer on.
Caleb Bollenbacher
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent story from Nissera! Timely yet timeless; classic but approachable; familiar and fresh all at once. I highly recommend this to anyone who's looking to scratch that fantasy itch!
 Debra (WifeEclectic)
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
More like 4.5. I really liked this book. Well written.
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
West's new book takes place about a hundred years after the events of Kingdom of Ash and Briars. It's the same kingdom and some characters are descended from the earlier characters, but luckily readers don't really have to remember the details of the first book in order to enjoy the new one. West expands that world and creates a story with a lot of action and some court intrigue thrown in. Plotting keeps readers on their toes and there are a few characters from this one that I wouldn't mind seei ...more
Rose
Sep 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Thank you for the book as I won it.
The story line is very well written I couldn't put it down!! Unfortunately taking away from this is a lot of crudity & lewdness which definitely wasn't needed. Too much to take out. Good author but leave the junk out.
Vince Penick
Madison Banfield
Oct 30, 2018
Neonila
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This book, and this series in general, wasn't quite what I expected. I was kind of disappointed, really.

The writing was decent and so were the characters, but it all fell kind of flat. I was bored and confused at times, which lead me to not being really interested and invested in what was happening.

Overall, I don't think this was a bad book, per se. It just felt like a foundation of what it should have been. Someone else might actually love this book, but it wasn't my thing.
Eileen (BookCatPin)
Melissa
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Caitlyn Morris
Mar 21, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Delete and Makes Changes to a Book 5 20 Jul 24, 2018 12:43PM
Hannah West is the author of Kingdom of Ash and Briars and its companion, Realm of Ruins. She's always loved writing about magic and fairytales, but her time studying abroad in Orléans, France inspired her to finally write and publish a fantasy novel. She's a freelance writer and vegetarian living in Texas with her husband and their rambunctious blue heeler.

The Nissera Chronicles (2 books)
  • Kingdom of Ash and Briars (The Nissera Chronicles, #1)