Start by marking “All the Little Children” as Want to Read:
All the Little Children

All the Little Children

When a family camping trip takes a dark turn, how far will one mother go to keep her family safe?

Struggling with working-mother guilt, Marlene Greene hopes a camping trip in the forest will provide quality time with her three young children—until they see fires in the distance, columns of smoke distorting the sweeping view. Overnight, all communication with the outside wor
Published September 1st 2017 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about All the Little Children, please sign up.
Jo Furniss Hi Carol, I'm not planning a sequel. For me, the story ends with the resolution of Marlene's 'coming-of-age' as a mother. I'm currently working on…moreHi Carol, I'm not planning a sequel. For me, the story ends with the resolution of Marlene's 'coming-of-age' as a mother. I'm currently working on another standalone novel for publication in August 2018, called Trailing Spouse. Thanks for asking the question! Jo(less)
Cora The author said that there is no plan for a sequel right now (someone else asked this same question). I think the end did seem to be leading to a…moreThe author said that there is no plan for a sequel right now (someone else asked this same question). I think the end did seem to be leading to a sequel and personally, I wouldn't really want to read a sequel since there isn't much else that can happen... I would have just preferred for this book to have a better ending or at least an epilogue that takes place a year or so later.
(less)

Bridgett
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I actually had to look this author up while I was in the midst of reading the book to see if it was actually a woman...because I could not, for the life of me, imagine a woman portraying mothers like the two in this book. When I confirmed that Jo Furniss is, indeed, a woman, I researched whether or not she was a mother. Lo and behold, she is.

All I can say is...wow.

This book drops you right into the action. There is no build-up. No character development. One minute you're opening the book, the ne
Amy
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
For some reason I didn’t pick up on the fact that this was a dystopian novel based on the blurb so when I started reading it, I was a bit surprised. I don’t mean that in a bad way, I’m not opposed to a post apocalyptic book, I just didn’t catch the hints in the description (duh Amy) and I had to adjust my mindset and expectations right away. But once I did I found this book to be a pacey, compelling read though I did have a few issues by the end.

The entire thing is told from Marlene’s point of v
Dash fan
3☆ A Unique Read

All the Little Children is very different from the books I usually read, as it is a dystopian mix with apost apocalyptic / thriller mix.

The reasons I rated a 3☆ was this really isn't a genre i usually read so I found it a little difficult to fully engage with the story.
However I did enjoy it and it's in no reflection of the Author it's just down to my personal taste.

Secondly the ending! It felt like the ending was left on a cliff hanger instead of finishing it with an ending. I d
Meagan
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason why this got 4 stars instead of 5 is because of the ending. I didn't know it was going to be part of a series or at least set up for a part 2. Ugh.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
All the Little Children is a book that interested me because of the dystopia theme. A family, two sisters with their children out camping, and then they realize that something is wrong. They can't contact anyone and they see fires in the distance. What has happened? Are they the only one that has survived?

All the Little Children is a book that engrossed thanks to the brilliance of the narrator and the thrilling story. You don't know what will happen next all through the book. What I really like
Emma
Aug 06, 2017 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Whilst the premise sounded great, I can't stand the main character.

DNF at page 115.

I received an early copy of this via Kindle First.
Nicole
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the Little Children is a pulse-pounding free fall of a novel. The story of an unnatural disaster and one mother’s fierce battle to protect her children rings both hauntingly true and terrifyingly possible. As Furniss wrestles with questions of love and sacrifice, readers are embroiled in their own moral dilemma: What would you do to save the ones you love? All the Little Children is gorgeously written, utterly riveting, and bound to be the book everyone is talking about this fall.
Kristina Horner
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, audiobooks
Stumbled across this book on audible and decided to give it a try -- a mother and her kids are camping in the woods when a disaster strikes. They have no knowledge of what's going on until they return home and find that there aren't any people around, and those that are, have died.

This is a post-apocalyptic, government conspiracy, great characters, lots of suspense, reminiscent of Lord of the Flies meets the end of the world kind of book. I liked it.
K Allen
Aug 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing

This is my first one star review on Kindle. I usually only review books I really like to encourage other people to read them. If I don't like a book I figure it's a matter of taste and others might enjoy them. This novel on the other hand was such a colossal waste of time (and I only read half of it) that I felt the need to share this, especially after seeing several 5 star reviews (??).

This was by far the worst Kindle Firsts in a long time and the first book I just couldn't fi
Angie
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ending?

The story was good. Loved the main character . The ending??? I don't want to completely spoil it for other readers but we are clearly missing some info for this to make sense.
Sinovera
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What the actual *bleep*?

I came here to leave a review saying that the book was mediocre and that it was nowhere near compelling enough for me to continue its story in the sequel... only to find the author saying there WON'T BE A SEQUEL?! What the hell is that ending about then? Original rating was 2 stars but I'm dropping it to 1 since if this is intended as a full rounded story in and of itself then it's sorely lacking.

Alright, ending and lack of sequel aside, it's still not a very good book.
Dramapuppy
I got this free from Kindle First, but I waited to review it till it was published because I didn't want to two-star a book before it even came out. But now I can complain about it guilt free!

Okay, so as much as I love the premise, this book was never going to be more than three stars. The writing leaves a lot to be desired. "Nowadays, my principles were about as firm as my pelvic floor. And yet the outcome was the same: neither maternal instinct nor higher intellect has time for heroism." What
Krissy
I started this thinking it was a mystery/thriller but it ended up being a post apocalyptic novel. Not exactly what I was in the mood to read. Then that ending was horrible. It just ended. Wtf happens? Guess we'll never know since this is a standalone and not part of a series.
Nancy
I had a hard time deciding how many stars to give this book when I finished reading it. I like the overall story of what happened and how it was being handled by those in authority. I kept thinking, could this really happen? It was different than some of the other books I had read. Also, I liked that we were not following up a bunch of preppers or survivalist or former military that just happen to have every skill for every situation.

The main character, on the other hand pissed me off at the en
Michelle Morrell
While out camping, disaster strikes and a mother finds herself trying to survive with a whole passel of kids. Quelle horror!!

She reminded me of myself, actually, but she had more patience over the things that would have made the top of my head pop off. Little kid feeds all their scavenged food to a dog? POP. Teenager keeps running off with a boy without telling anyone that she's even going? POP. Still, I totally respected how she just kept going and going and going because all these kids were re
Wendy
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well THAT escalated quickly!

A little clutch people, mainly two mums and their little ‘uns, are standing on the edge of civilisation (camping in Shropshire to be precise) and beyond the isolation of their holiday hideaway all hell has broken loose. Soon the story gives a whole new meaning to the phrase ‘getting back to nature’.

That first impression of loss begins with mobile phone coverage which could be reasonably explained by their location. But this progresses to uncertainty over loved ones wh
RedRedtheycallmeRed
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only thing I didn't love about this book was the end, which leaves juuuuust enough of a door open to generate a sequel. But our main story is, for the most part, nicely wrapped up, so it didn't bother me too much. I read a lot of "end of the world" stories and this was the first that tackles the excellent question, "how would you manage that while still taking care of your kids?" Not the noble warrior children we see in most post-apocalyptic fiction, but a whiney three year old who has tantr ...more
Victor *we were on a break!*
This is more like a 2.5 star read for me. I only really cared for three characters and they were all kids - Peter, Charlie and Maggie.

The decisions made by the older characters were sometimes ridiculous.

This story needed more Maggie... and more cowbell.
Rick
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was nothing more than a list of unrelenting miseries with very little redemption at its abrupt end. Perhaps if there was a single character for whom we could root, the book would have been more enjoyable.
I really, really wanted to like this. It had all these amazing elements, all this potential. But the main character Marlene just ruined everything. Jolene was a little better, but by the end....well. I could easily go on a rant about Marlene, her lack of parenting, empathy, understanding, her selfishness. Do not say well, if you were in her shoes, because if I was in her shoes, I would be different. I mean who the fuck thinks its ok at the end of the world (view spoiler) ...more
Venus Maneater
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. The story of a woman who needs a literal disaster to discover her kids are probably best off without her.

Mar is not a good mother. She's not a bad mother either, but she sure isn't good and the single best decision she makes for her kids is when she leaves them.

This is a book about a woman who was perfectly comfortable in her role as the absentee mom. Trips to China, long days at work, always online and herding the kids towards their nanny or dad. And when you're home there's only tim
comfort
This has a shocker of an ending and I can't believe a Mother would act like that, but all in all was a pretty good read.
A family go off for a bit of a camping weekend in the country, when suddenly things start to go wrong.

Firstly a large fire is noticed by her son, in the distance, then the mobile phones don't work. They drive into the local village and people are lying dead on the street. Now, being of that generation that watch zombie shows I was expecting them to re-animate and eat them all,
Karen
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sara
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chose this book as a Kindle First, and I'm so glad I did. That said, this book is unsettling at times, and there were times I wanted to shake Marlene and Joni both because their reactions befuddled me. And the ending! The ending leaves in a cliffhanger with no plans by the author to write a sequel.

However, it's an apocalyptic novel and it isn't supposed to feel cheery. Nor can I fault Marlene's or Joni's missteps even though I didn't always understand their actions. I felt I was drawn into the p
Lisa Cleveland
My thanks to Lake Union Press and Netgalley for allowing me to read/review this book. I'm a bit frustrated because Ms. Furniss has obvious writing skills, but her characters were so unlikable, and did the most idiotic things, that I just couldn't get past it. About 40% on, I started speed reading to get to the finish. That's when my proverbial crap hit the fan! There is no ending to this book. What happens next? Well, what about...? Nothing. I can't recommend this story, and I'm not even sure if ...more
Ruth Dryden
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down!

A well written, very believable book which really made me think of what I would do in the same situation - not many books have made me do that! Quite frightening in its way because the storyline is about something which could actually happen. I couldn't put this book down. The characters are well fleshed out and believable and the storyline is excellent. If you like a gripping post apocalyptic thriller which is so true to life that its scary - then this is for you!
Kerry
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. We all wonder what we would do, how would we survive, if the world does come to an end. And having small children sure would make it more difficult. I almost passed the book down in the first part, the woman was driving me crazy with her very stupid decisions and mistakes. But I am so glad I stick with it, even though it didn't really have an ending. I assume there will be another one.
Joann
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I didn't know that it was a dystopian book as they are not my favorite books and I don't read many of them. It took me awhile to get into the book as Marlene is so arrogant and she is just someone I couldn't care about. I found the instant death of everyone difficult to believe, as the most deadly viruses don’t kill people right away. There is an abrupt ending but I feel that leaves it open for a sequel. Just not my type of book.
A.K. Smith
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mother’s Armageddon

Enjoyed this debut novel set in England in a distant future of survival- I hope the terrorists don’t read this- well done-
“You know how people say they would die for their kids? I never got that. What good are we dead? What’s hard is living for your kids. We only matter because we matter to them. It’s doubly true now.” 2 likes
“A moment when the worst had already happened, so there was nothing left to worry about. I wanted to stop forever in that pause between cause and effect. A place where I didn’t have to be responsible for everybody all of the time.” 0 likes