Start by marking “Nicholas in Trouble” as Want to Read:
Nicholas in Trouble

Nicholas in Trouble

(Le Petit Nicolas #5)

In the fifth title in this beloved series of books, Nicholas and the gang sell raffle tickets for a good cause, learn how to cross the road safely, and bring all kinds of interesting things to school to the surprise and consternation of their long-suffering teacher. Illustrations."
Published October 22nd 2008 by Phaidon Press (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Nicholas in Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nicholas in Trouble

Start your review of Nicholas in Trouble
Ahmad Sharabiani
Le petit Nicolas a des ennuis = Nicholas in Trouble (Le Petit Nicolas #5), René Goscinny, Jean-Jacques Sempé (Illustrator)
Nicholas in Trouble contains 16 new stories about Nicholas and his friends. In this collection of adventures, things are never easy for Nicholas and his gang: the lady in the shop won't let them buy chocolate, their teacher won't let them play Geoffrey's fantastic new game, and Jeremy is none to pleased about his new little brother. Following on from the publication of
Magda
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
My husband & I love the series so much that we decided to name our child after the main character.

What is not to love about Nicholas. He is small, cutely naughty & believes to have the best parents in the world.

Nicholas is always up to something, mostly not good. He has group of friends alike him and they all get in trouble all the time & love playing.

Mikolay’s world is very simple, not too complicated by any kind of worries & full of childhood adventures, even though he isn’t
Phoenix2
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: classics
A great read. Loved reading about Nicolas andentures in school, along with his freinds. The drawings are beautiful and the writing, simple, but entertaining.
Clare Cannon
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7-12 years
Shelves: 08-12yrs
If you liked Diary of a Wimpy Kid, you’ll enjoy Nicholas taking you a little further back in time. Created by the author of Asterix in 1964, Nicholas is a cheeky French schoolboy whose exploits will entertain for hours.

Nicholas and his gang do what little boys are best at: turn everything into a game that winds up in trouble. But let’s be honest, that’s what makes it so much fun!

Like when a burst pipe floods their classroom, so class is held in the boiler room, and chairs need carrying from the
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Somewhere halfway between Dennis the Menace and William, Nicholas is a regular French schoolboy who gets into various scrapes at school and home. With its schoolyard politics, tantrums, visiting grannies and whatnot these tales feel like snapshots of a kind of childhood that felt universal when I was a child myself but is already markedly different from what most urban children today experience.

These are not very deep stories, they're more like pleasantly entertaining squibs, and a great way to
Tina Gh
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book of Nicola series I read, and it was so great and fun that I decided to buy the rest of its series. My parents enjoyed that as well! I would recommend it.
Kelley
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I haven’t yet convinced you to meet Nicholas, I’ll continue to make my case:

Exhibit A: Jeremy, one of the gang, has just had a baby brother arrive. He spends a full chapter making sure everyone knows what a miserable lot his is.

“… he was going to leave home, so there, and everyone would be sorry, and they could keep their sappy old Lionel, and his parents would miss him a lot when he’d gone, especially when they heard he was a captain of a warship earning lots of money …”

Matthew wonders who
Alastair Hudson
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nicholas is on home ground here; School, Gangs, Teachers and Parents.
All the elements needed for the simple tales that the author manages to give a surprising amount of depth.
As bedtime reading for children my mistake was to read two Nicholas volumes back-to-back. Too much of a good thing made this volume seem a bit tired, but that was my mistake; these tales should be treated with respect and not consumed like a glutton. I bought a third one too; but that's going to be left for my youngest to
MisterFweem
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found these wonderful stories when i lived in France for a few years, and I revisit them often.

It's clear, reading Sempe's words, that the travails of children are universal. I love the stories' self-centeredness and innocense, because that's what I recall the most from childhood, and see the most in my children (even if mine are older than Nicholas et compagnie).

If there's one detriment to these books, is that in reading them while learning French, you learn a more colloquial, schoolyard
Alexandria
This took me way too long to get through, mostly owing to my laziness but it's a good practice for beginner/intermediate French readers. Each chapter is like its own little story.
Jamie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nicholas just can't help but get into trouble every time is the main feature of this book.
Noah Kellstedt
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
so far i have read quite a lot of the book but i have decided to stop here and give you a short summary of the book so far nicholas's friend jeremy has ben mad because he now has a new brother , the lady wont let him
buy chocolate and they cant stach chairs in ths part i read from page 63 to 74 in this part of the book nicholas and his friends where assigned a very specialb project. they where supposed to bring a a souvenir to school and disscuss about it.when nicholas got home he asked his dad
Agata
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nicholas in Trouble is a funny little book by the French author Rene Goscinny. So far, I have read 3 books in the series of 5 and this is probably the funniest yet. Divided into 16 short stories, this timeless classic is loveable, naive and absolutely hilarious. My favourite story in this book is called 'Roulette', in which one of the boys at Nicholas's school brings in a roulette wheel and all the boys start playing with it. Like most of the stories involving Nicholas's friends, it ends in a ...more
Nicolás Rojas Jiménez
René Goscinny has creares through the stories of Nicholas and his friends a door to childhood, to the games and the adventures that children always have.
Nicholas in Trouble holds the innocence and sense of wonder of kids and allows the reader to recognise himself in the many adventures of the characters, built on the ambitious yet humble idea of daily small interactions between children.
Illustrated by the amazing Sempé, whose drawings are simultaneously detailed and quick, Nicholas in Trouble is
Leah
May 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
So much fun! Well, not so much fun for Petit Nicolas, what with all the ennuis, but so much fun to read. All the problems that could possibly befall a kid (or his friends, or his parents, or his teacher...), all those pesky rules, unfair circumstances, and ironic situations come into play here. There's always someone "qui se mis a pleurer," and there's no telling how many times someone calls, "viens te battre si tu es un homme!" Ah, good times.

Lokesh Singh
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am a child with no brain , i have a torch but no crime , i am happy trotting around, with my chair , i love to brag and i don't care, so there ! ............i am a child with no brain, but i am smarter than everyone else so there !! And i have no brain :P
Saichonnanee R
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Always make me smile
Ian Tymms
Great fun and a great Upper Primary/Lower Middle level read.
Debbie
May 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading these stories - Nicholas is like Calvin sans Hobbes! They always leave me smiling.
Carlotta*
Sweet and funny as always; the end is a tiny bit sad!

(view spoiler)
Christina
I love all Petit Nicolas stories!
I've read them all at least twice!
Michael
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to the others, so it is unfortunately repetitive. But, still adorable and marginally better than "Les Vacances". Some new characters are introduced.
Belebe
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's fun to read, reminds me of my experience with the lower primary boys during my volunteering stints.
Muneera Salem-Murdock
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
First read while living in Nice, 1982.
SsRs
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One phrase is sufficient for a review: All ages from seven to seventy can enjoy Jean-Jacques Sempé's
"Petit Nicolas"
D
Sep 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french, comedy
Hilarious, as all the books in the 'petit Nicolas' series.
Margaret Pinard
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is the cover and it was a hardcover, but I read it in French: "Joachim a des ennuis" :)
Yasmin Moghadamnia
God I LOVE this boy. And everything about these stories make me laugh so hard they have to take me to ER :) I just bought the french version, so I can really enjoy the humor
Peace
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super super cute.
Robert
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dated, but still good fun.

• بار دیگر شهری که دوست می‌داشتم
  • همخونه
  • Ян Бибиян
  • Worth the Battle (Heaven Hill, #4)
  • Dirty Little Secret (Heaven Hill, #5)
  • Second Chance Love (Heaven Hill, #6)
  • Mafalda #1
  • Mafalda 4
  • To the End of Hell: One Woman's Struggle to Survive Cambodia's Khmer Rouge
  • Mafalda 3 (Mafalda, #3)
  • Mafalda 1
  • Mafalda 5 (Mafalda #5)
  • Mafalda 8 (Mafalda, #8)
  • Mafalda 9 (Mafalda #9)
  • Mafalda 7 (Mafalda, #7)
  • Mafalda 11
  • Mafalda 12
  • Mafalda 10 (Mafalda, #10)
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix

Le Petit Nicolas (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Le Petit Nicolas
  • Les Bêtises du Petit Nicolas
  • Le Petit Nicolas et ses Voisins
  • Le Petit Nicolas Voyage
  • Les Surprises du Petit Nicolas
  • Le Petit Nicolas, c'est Noël!