Start by marking “Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: 1955” as Want to Read:
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: 1955

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: 1955

(Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. #4)

Hellboy encounters unseen predators, strange cases of spontaneous combustion, and a weapon at an Air Force base that is more than it seems.

This volume collects Hellboy And The B.P.R.D.: 1955 Secret Nature, Occult Intelligence #1-#3, Burning Season, the 1955 story from the Hellboy Winter Special, and bonus material!
Published June 6th 2018 by Dark Horse Books (first published January 6th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 4

Start your review of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: 1955
Artemy
A bit better than the previous volume, but not by much. Out of the three stories collected here only one (Burning Season) was kinda good. Secret Nature was very similar to the story from the previous volume that was set in the Arctic, only this one was set in the woods, otherwise it was strikingly samey, even down to poor Woody getting some racist comments from an asshole who he's trying to help. And the main and the longest story in the collection, Occult Intelligence, was an absolute snooze — ...more
Chad
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
It's always good to get new Hellboy stories but Chris Roberson's storytelling moves at a snail's pace. This whole conspiracy angle seems to slowly be headed nowhere. Pretty much the same allusions are made in each of the longer stories for each year without advancing whatsoever. Brian Churilla's art was iffy as well. Some panels looked fine while other were way too cartoony. The Shawn Martinborough and Paolo Rivera one-shots look much better.
Paul E. Morph
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another rock solid Hellboy collection featuring three creepy tales of the unexplained. Chris Roberson is doing a great job on this book since he took over the writing duties from John Arcudi. The artwork is really nice too.
Wing Kee
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
One and dones and amazing world building.

World: The world building here is phenomenal, I think it takes a fan of the series to see the scope and the history and lore that is being played with here to really appreciate what Mignola is doing here. Sure to a new reader this book offers a look at American history with the Trail of Tears and also with the different Government agencies in the world that’s dealing with the supernatural but for long time readers these world building pieces piece of toge
Adan
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The various supernatural groups around the world that have been hinted at in previous ‘Hellboy and the BPRD’ volumes are getting closer and closer to some kind of showdown. I really like Woody and Susan, so I hope they don’t get killed any time soon. I mean, they obviously won’t survive until the present time, but still, I want them to retire, not get eaten by some nonsense. Also! Hellboy punches all the things!
K De
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Filling in the early years of Hellboy and B.P.R.D. with Mignola and friends. Some Cold War background that hints at more to come in the years afterwards. I enjoyed the story arc and how Hellboy is maturing. Worth reading to see how complete the Hellboyverse is reaching towards "dotting the 'i's' and crossing the 't's'".
Rick
Bam! Another slam-dunk from Mignola & Co. Good characterizations and fun, interesting stories. All the titles featuring Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. are all part of vast tapestry that just seems to get richer and more fascinating with each new volume. Yes, this is a prequel volume but it just adds more flavor and texture to what it already a great set of characters and an amazingly entertaining world. I simply can not get enough of Hellboy and company. ...more
Cale
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
We're starting to see some more of the conspiracies and shadow powers in this volume, as Bruttenholm explores the British supernatural scene to see what happened to his peers, and to try to recruit allies. That is juxtaposed with Hellboy and BPRD investigators dealing with E-Bombs and mutated turtles (which is a lot more disturbing than I would have expected) in some of the better action I've seen in the series. The first story here, "Secret Nature" doesn't do a whole lot story-wise, but it does ...more
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Happy to see that the central plot is picking up.
Lee
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Secret Nature - 5*

Hellboy is on assignment with Woody, the black cryptozoologist from Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1954 - The Unreasoning Beast. As this series is set in 1955 we ONCE again are exposed to the casual racism the caller displays towards Woody. I was gratified to see Hellboy stand up for Woody, who decides to be the bigger guy and just turns a blind eye to it (like most Asians have been told to do by their parents). One page later Hellboy asks Woody if he's bothered and I almost cry
Joseph R.
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This volume collects three stories from Hellboy's earlier years at the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.

Secret Nature--Hellboy visits a midwest farm with Woodrow Farrier, a black B.P.R.D. agent with a Ph.D. and an interest in cryptozoology. The local farmers have lost livestock to some vicious night predatory. One farmer is racist toward Dr. Farrier, a weirdness that's flagged up by Hellboy who asks if Farrier is annoyed that a red-skinned, horned and tailed demon guy gets a pass but n
Lacee
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed with this volume and I'm starting to worry that this series is on the decline. 1955 collects three stories. The first, Secret Nature, and the third, Burning Season, seemed typical in tone to most Hellboy comics. More like one-shots that don't really provide a lot to the storyline but are entertaining enough. The second, Occult Intelligence, is where this volume lacks. It was a bit of a slog to get through. I didn't like B.P.R.D. 1948 and this issue follows some of its ...more
Benjamin Barham
Three stories here. First being a throw away one-shot with the sole agenda of addressing racism (which needs to be addressed but maybe not through a poorly paced and hamfisted Hellboy tale). Second is a 3-part story shoehorning in a worldwide event that would have been talked about throughout the rest of the Hellboy stories. I feel like Roberson really shit the bed on this one. It injects something into the canon that doesn't really follow in my opinion. Also, a gross amount of exposition. The t ...more
Zare
This collection has two stories that are basically standard X-Files stories where Hellboy and his colleagues hunt down the weird creatures and phenomena.

But true meat of this book is Occult Intelligence series - in it professor Bruttenholm comes across the evidence that there is parallel occult Cold War going on and that B.P.R.D's place in it is not what he expects because it is not only enemies behind the Iron Curtain that B.P.R.D gets in conflict with.

Very interesting story-line that makes the
Bill Coffin
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another fun addition to what is a comparatively lightweight section of the Mignolaverse. We all know there can't be any higher stakes than what has already been laid out in Hellboy, Abe Sapien, and so on, but like, say Lobster Johnson, Hellboy and the BPRD inhabit a smaller stage that is nevertheless enjoyable. These stories further the relationship between Hellboy and his early BPRD comrades, and the more we learn, the more se understand that Trevor Bruttenholm's backstory isn't one without its ...more
Koen Claeys
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Hellboy was one of my favorite comic book characters. I have some Hellboy figurines and my first interview with a comic book creator was with Mignola. It's a shame to see how, during the last few years, Mike Mignola has been been more concerned with quantity rather than quality, with everything getting even worse since Jon Arcudi left as a writer for the B.P.R.D.-series. Most of the time the latest output doesn't deserve to be labeled as mediocre. This trade paperback doesn't make me enthusiasti ...more
Óscar López
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This series is going downhill, I'm afraid. Both artwork and writing are so-so and "Occult Intelligence", the longest story in the volume, is a spy tale that doesn't suit the horror/mystery tone of Hellboy.

At least there seems to be something interesting cooking for future issues, but so far this has been the weakest and most disappointing Hellboy saga. I kinda liked "Secret Nature", that's about the right tone I expect in this comic, even though it's unoriginal and lacking the polish of Mignola'
Anne
Aug 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
The deep lore and mythology, as well as the amazing artwork, of Mike Mignola are missing in this era of Hellboy. The stories and characters are the same, and this is fun comic book stuff, but its just not as grand. Kind of seems fitting, then, that this art/writing team should be tackling Hellboy's early years on the B.P.R.D. Everything is a bit simpler and more surface level. Not bad, but not mind-blowing either.
Fraser Sherman
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A good collection. Hellboy and a black agent deal with racism and demons. Hellboy and Susan investigate spontaneous human combustion. And in the central story, Hellboy and a collection of pretty much every agent of this area investigate monstrous goings on in the Marshall Islands where they discover Russia and the UK have occult programs of their own (as Trevor, talking with old colleagues in England, likewise learns). Solid.
Ronald
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was fun. A little cold war seeping into the Hellboy world. The British are being dumb and stubborn and the Americans have a million bureaucratic fiefdoms not talking to each other. Both ignoring the B.P.R.D. and that is just stupid not just on the characters in the story but for the author. Anyway much better than the other reviews I read lead me to believe.
David
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Been enjoying Hellboy and the BPRD and this volume has my favorite story in it. I'm a big fan of Paolo Rivera and it's so very cool for me that The Burning Season takes place literally down the street from my parent's house!
John
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Paint by numbers.
Craig
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Not the greatest. Stories are unfocused and the artwork is quite variable.
Paul
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amverbo
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siguen las historias de los inicios de Hellboy. Diferentes dibujantes que cubren bien la función.
Paul Wilson
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
So much fun. Fascinated by the occult Cold War going on behind the scenes. Some of the Hellboy one liners in this are classic. Very enjoyable.
Andres Pasten
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Las historias unitarias son casi relleno. El peso se lo lleva Occult Intelligence y la historia del especial de navidad. Pudo haber sido mucho mejor.
Aaron
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I think I liked this one a bit more than 1954, still not an amazing use of the character nor any genuine weirdness beyond the usual for Hellboy stories.
I did appreciate that the BPRD partner is an African American man in this universe's iteration of 1950s America, and has to endure casual racism while standing next to a 6+ ft tall red demon who is generally accepted. They don't often take the time to acknowledge that sort of thing in books like this.
Peter Wild
Jun 20, 2018
Linton
Nov 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 3: The Mysteries of Unland
  • Doctor Star & the Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows
  • Pulp
  • The Dreaming Vol. 1: Pathways and Emanations (the Sandman Universe)
  • Lazarus X+66
  • X-Men: Grand Design - X-Tinction
  • Doomsday Clock Part 1
  • Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War
  • Firefly: The Unification War  Vol. 1
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. (5 books)
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: 1952