Start by marking “The Christmas Fling (Christmas Town, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Fling (Christmas Town, #1)

The Christmas Fling

(Christmas Town #1)

Sometimes it takes a village to fall in love.

Eccentric, reclusive, socially awkward project designer Evan Myles doesnt date. Paying for sex with professionals is so much more efficient and suits his needs well enough. But when hes on assignment in rural Logan, Minnesota, for the Christmas Town project and a handsome stranger at the bar catches his attention, Evan decides
Published December 12th 2017 by Heidi Cullinan

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Fling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Fling

Start your review of The Christmas Fling (Christmas Town, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I am going with 3 stars for this book because:

~ I love Heidi Cullinan's work and writing style; she's a master of prose.

~ Both MCs, while not necessarily likable, were complex and utterly real.

~ I really liked the Minnesota Christmas series and enjoyed visiting with the happy couples (except the whole Arthur/Gabriel/Dale situation, which I'm pretending doesn't exist *la la la I can't hear you* because way to fuck with a HEA).

~ The ending was kind of adorable, if a bit abrupt (I never got a
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

I put off writing this review for long enough, so it's about time I sucked it up and got on with it. This book was... underwhelming. Not bad, but not what I've come to expect from Heidi Cullinan.

The amount of deception, tiptoeing around, and hand-holding in this book is remarkable and went on WAY past the point of my patience. At don't mind a little mistaken identity "oops" plot-twistiness, but when the majority of the book is a total lack of communication, WILLFUL lack of
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**
Dec 11, 2017 marked it as not-gonna-happen-because-reasons

"hes kissed his share of frogs of both genders"

Image result for side eye gif

This is now the 3rd or 4th time I've come across this author being insensitive and/or exclusive. I'm saddened by this, especially since she writes (I believe, solely) LGBTQ+ romances. As someone whose newer releases I've found have crossed over into "preachy" territory, I'm just surprised.

Shame Ms. Cullinan.

Image result for do better gif
BWT (Belen)
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
While The Christmas Fling is the first book in a new series it is in the same location as the Minnesota Christmas series, Logan, Minnesota, and centers around "Christmas Town", which was first developed and introduced there. Cameos are plentiful, as the main characters in The Christmas Fling, Evan and Terry, get lots of help from the characters first introduced in those original holiday stories.

There were some things that I really liked about the story, like the dual third person POV that really
Karen
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm really torn on this one...

'The Christmas Fling' is the first book in Heidi Cullinan's series 'Christmas Town' a spin-off from her series 'Minnesota Christmas' which I diligently read and loved...even, 'Santa Baby' pulled 3.5 stars out of me, but while the first book in the 'Minnesota Christmas' series started off with a solid 4 star read for me...'Christmas Town' hasn't gotten off to such a good start.

Interestingly enough while I liked Terry and Evan individually...Terry and Evan as a
Ann
Unicornian Buddy Review with Adam!

2 .5 Hearts

I love Logan, MN and its inhabitants with all my Christmas heart so I was very excited to get my hands on The Christmas Fling. Ive missed this authors prose and have always fallen into her stories easily and have a hard time putting them down.

The Christmas Fling begins with a sorta kinda mistaken identity premise which leads to some incredibly filthy and delicious play between Evan and Terry (who wasnt Terry at the time to Evan) and the premise was
Catherine
The one thing that I will always say for Heidi Cullinan is that she writes complex characters and relationships that you see rarely - if ever - on the pages of a typical romance novel. They're usually intriguing, but sometimes difficult to relate to.

I think that was my case with this novel. I liked the story overall (and the naughty bits particularly) but the way that both of these characters were managed by every damn person in their lives seemed like they would be fucking exhausting as real
Adam
Tag team review with Ann!

The Christmas Fling is a spinoff from Cullinans Minnesota Christmas series. The previous series provides context for the Christmas Town plot, and existing characters do appear in secondary roles, but I think this book could work fine as a standalone.

The premise of this book requires a bit of a suspension of disbelief. The entire story rests on Evans inability to recognize Terry as Kevin. Granted, Kevin had a full beard and was skinnier when a drunken Evan met him on a
Eugenia
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
****3.5 Stars****
Man, the first sex scene in this novella was SCORCHING HOT. I loved every dirty, humiliating, sexy second of it. This was why I rounded up. Seriously. Just read that first hookup scene. Its hilarious and beyond hot.

Then the plot began. It wasnt bad. I totally dug Evan, who was somewhere on the spectrum. Terry/Kevin I thought I could like, especially after the first scene.

Unfortunately, while Evan and his quirks delighted me, Terry started racking up asshole points really
Chris
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-contemporary
I enjoyed this sweet read. Heidi sure knows how to write about unique souls and her MCs came with their own issues. Mix an Aspy with an Anxiety disorder ( not to the level of Emmet & Jeremy ) and throw in a humiliation kink and you have quite a blend ! Watching these two get together was like trying to hold onto fairy floss in the wind !
I actually enjoyed it because as always Heidi pays respect to her characters and highlights their challenges as more of celebrations- and I love her for
Cadiva
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5*

One thing I can guarantee getting from Heidi Cullinan is a story with a twist and this one was no different.

Not a traditional Christmas romance in any shape or form but very much a tale of connections and emotions and love nevertheless.

Set in the delightful Logan, home to her Minnesota Christmas series, this is the first spin off and it retains much of the wonderful heart and soul of that community feel.

There are appearances from all the Logan couples/triads as this story focusses on Dale's
Debra
Review originally posted at Sinfully.

This is a spin-off of the Minnesota Christmas books, where the idea of turning the small town of Logan into Christmas Town began. Here we meet two of the men involved in that undertaking, Evan and Terry. You can easily read this as a standalone though the characters from the prior series all appear here in support.

Both men have their own issues. Its pretty clear from the start that Evan has Asperger syndrome or a similar condition. Commitment is a
JenMcJ
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Ummm....well, I liked the beginning of this book. The first few chapters start with some pretty kinky sex that jumps off the page with chemistry and anticipation of something fated, inescapable.

Then the next chapters start and we wait until practically the end of the book to get back to any kinky sex which is scaled way back when it does happen again because of Terry's issues with his kink. The misunderstanding in between is drawn out way too long and makes everyone seem manipulative rather
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 4
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.5

So Im thinking.. under normal circumstances, I may or may not have enjoyed this book a little less than I did this time around.

The reason? Terry.

But seeing as Im in an early Christmas read mood I decided that not even his erratic jumping around crazy ass would get me totally wound up.

I really enjoyed Evan Myles. He kept me interested in finishing this book solely because of his unique ways.

He made an interesting out of the norm character and
UnusualChild{beppy}

Synopsis: Evan is a project designer who is on location in Logan in order to make Christmas Town a reality. He's not very good with people, so when his assistant challenges him to go pick someone up in a bar since he can't get escorts in Logan, he does. Kevin is not his usual type, but he comes home with Evan and they have a great time together. When Evan wakes up in the morning, Kevin is gone, and Evan and everyone working in Logan can't figure out who he is or where he went.
Terry is
Bibliophile
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
I feel like my reading habits have been tuned to the Hallmark channel because this if the 4th holiday book I've read in a row. Heidi Cullinan is a favorite author of mine (I particularly love Dance With Me and Dirty Laundry). What she excels at is the rare combo of sweet/kink. I don't know how she does it, but she's great at creating sweet love stories with a high degree of depraved, kinky sex. It's such an odd combination that it *shouldn't* work...but somehow it does.

What I liked about this
Joyfully Jay
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

The Christmas Fling is the first book in Heidi Cullinans new Christmas Town series. The series is a spinoff of her fabulous Minnesota Christmas series, and those books lead very directly into this one. All of the main characters from that series appear here, some in significant roles, and Christmas Town gets its start in that series. So while this is officially the start of something new, I really think that having that background will be a big help in understanding
Emily Seelye
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Sexy and sweet. Started out with a bang, but most of story simmered on the slow burn.

Enjoyable, but Terry let the mistaken identity go on for too long
ReadingAllNite
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc-read
2.5 Stars rounded up. I really dislike giving a less than stellar review to an author I usually enjoy reading. Unfortunately, this particular story just didnt work for me on too many levels. It seemed to start out well, with a promising mistaken identity trope. Evan was a wonderful character, on the autism spectrum, but highly functional, quirky, eccentric and often lacking in interpersonal skills. I enjoyed his dynamic with Charlotte and Dale, who also helped him manage his life. Terry was ...more
Monika

2.5 Stars

Don't know what happened with this story but I struggled with it all the way through. There were a few shiny moments but not enough for me to get excited about it.
Mia Sciberras
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You always know you're going to get something special from Heidi Cullinan, especially when it comes to her Christmas stories. The Christmas Fling is book 1 in her new Christmas Town series, set in the same location as her Minnesota Christmas series. This is subtly different from the Minnesota Christmas stories even though we have a perfect cross-over from that series and many of the characters are involved in Terry and Evan's story.

Both MCs have A LOT to work out - socially, personally and
Andrea
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really struggled to finish this book. The MCs were difficult to like so I honestly didn't care what happened to them. I really should have moved it to the DNF shelf rather than continue reading. I kept hoping for it to turn around, but it never did.
Bo
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Minnesota Winter Freezes Brains

You have to have already read the "Minnesota Christmas" series (which I loved) to get past Chapter Two of this one which features two of the most complex, conflicted, confounding and, in the end, totally confused MC's you will ever hope to meet. You will be itching to be able to smack them upside their heads.

And the odd thing is that even though I finished the first two chapters and put the book away because I did not like Evan in Chapter One and Terry in Chapter
Christy
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, on-my-kindle, holiday, arc
I was very happy to see the author write a bit of a spin-off to her Minnesota Christmas series as that is a definite favorite of mine. I was instantly drawn in by the description, especially of Evan, because I have a serious soft spot for geeky, brilliant, and horribly awkward men. I figured if anyone could help Evan and Terry get to their happy ever after it would be the multitude of fairy godfathers running around Logan, Minnesota.

I am 100 percent positive that I have never, and I mean never,
Anu
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, love love love LOVED this book so much!

OK so I'm a card-carrying Heidi Cullinan fan and this one did not disappoint.

Set in the Logan, Minnesota - the home of the Minnesota Christmas series. We see the heroes of the other series here - Dale features prominently in the story but the others get a good look-in too - but it is not necessary to have read the series before delving into this one, just more fun if you have.

Evan and Terry meet in less-than-ideal circumstances, while they
Pjm12
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved these Christmas Town stories and found this one by accident, so great when I get a lovely surprise.

I like the two boys, Terry and Evan and was impressed to see all the townsfolk rally to help them.

A couple of small niggles. Tagging as spoilers just in case.

(view spoiler)

Hope there's more.
K
Dec 14, 2017 marked it as lurking-in-kindleland
Back to lurking on the kindle with this book... I fear that my days of reading this author may be numbered... just so many problems (not just the editing)...
namericanwordcat
3.5 Stars

I am excited about this new Christmas series from Heidi Cullinan. She is one of my favorite writers.

Evan and Terry and both a bit of a mess. I tend to like that. I love the revisit to the setting and the circle of friends.

I do enjoy the dynamic between the heroes. However, the secret goes on too long and takes time that could have been spent building a stronger connection between the heroes. And Terry could have used the therapy he gets for his issues with anxiety earlier in the book.
Nevaeh Wright
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a spin-off from Heidi Cullinan's Minnesota Christmas series, and I had forgotten that it had an edgier, darker, kink-fueled angle, especially the last book, since it's been a while since I'd read them. Thus, the opening scenes took me completely off guard, but once I managed to orient myself again The Christmas Fling was, as expected, a solid, well-told, deeply moving tale of human frailty, hangups, love and fears, featuring MCs that are very real and human without the shine of ...more
Heather
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Evan Myles may be socially awkward and eccentric but he is also sweet and honest but its that social awkardness that has left him paying for escorts and sex, it just makes life easier with no emotional messiness. Terry Reid has a few hang ups of his own that has left him a bit on the neurotic side. When Evan and Terry's worlds collide, their controlled set of personal rules are thrown for a loop. Will the Logan Christmas Town project give them common ground to build on or will it throw one too ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Spring Strings
  • Better Not Pout
  • Mission: All In (Brantley Walker: Off the Books, #1)
  • Throwing Hearts
  • Rough Terrain (Out of Uniform, #7)
  • Nailed (Four Bears Construction, #2)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Next Season
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Santa Daddy
  • Fakers (Licking Thicket, #1)
  • Milo (Finding Home, #2)
  • Throwing Stones (Glasgow Lads on Ice, #1)
  • Taming Dante (Dante's Infernal #1)
  • Will & Patrick's Endless Honeymoon (Wake Up Married, #7)
  • On Davis Row
Heidi Cullinan has always enjoyed a good love story, provided it has a happy ending. Proud to be from the first Midwestern state with full marriage equality, Heidi is a vocal advocate for LGBT rights. She writes positive-outcome romances for LGBT characters struggling against insurmountable odds because she believes theres no such thing as too much happy ever after. When Heidi isn't writing, she ...more