Start by marking “All Are Welcome” as Want to Read:
All Are Welcome

All Are Welcome

A warm, welcoming picture book that celebrates diversity and gives encouragement and support to all kids.

Follow a group of children through a day in their school, where everyone is welcomed with open arms. A school where kids in patkas, hijabs, and yamulkes play side-by-side with friends in baseball caps. A school where students grow and learn from each other's traditions
Library Binding, 44 pages
Published July 10th 2018 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about All Are Welcome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Are Welcome

Margie
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whether you've lived in the same community your entire life or it's brand new for you, today is a different day. Today is the start of something filled with potential and unexpected twists and turns. Today is about being your best self and helping others to be the same.

As individuals open the doors of their school and walk down the hallways, they need to know everyone is accepted and appreciated regardless of physical characteristics, ethnicity, or religion. All Are Welcome (Alfred A. Knopf, an
Dorothia Rohner
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading ALL ARE WELCOME felt like getting a big hug. Kindness and inclusiveness trump hate. I love this book. The art and text sing! Children will enjoy all of the detailed illustrations that bring the story to life. An uplifting book for anyone who needs a spark of hope.
Mrs. Krajewski
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book for the first day of school. All children need to know they are welcome in their classrooms. ❤ ...more
Jillian Heise
In rhythmic phrases, emphasizes the inclusiveness, acceptance, and celebration of all cultures in a school community. Perfect for a first day of school read aloud!
La Coccinelle
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Wow... Now that is a diverse children's book. Although, I guess if it wasn't, it would kind of defeat the whole purpose (and the title wouldn't make much sense)!

This simple rhyming picture book illustrates our differences and our similarities in a cute, accessible way. There are plenty of cultures represented, along with varied sexual orientations, family units, and disabilities. On the surface, it's a book about a school, but it goes deeper than that, too, with friendships that happen outside t
Melissa Eddington
A wonderful picture book that repeats the statement, “All Are Welcome Here”. A great message for all to hear especially for our president.
Michele Knott
I hope this book ends up in all classrooms and libraries.
Garrett
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it-rhymes, story-time
This was clearly published in Canada.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
It's the first day of school and the endpapers of this lovely book show a large group of wonderfully diverse kids and their parents/caregivers walking to a school with a big "All Are Welcome" banner across the entrance. Inside, kids spend their day getting to know each other and learning about their different cultural backgrounds through music, art, and stories. Even their lunches reflect their heritage and who they are. School here becomes what school should be everywhere: "We're part of a comm ...more
Aeicha
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Alexandra Penfold's picture book, All Are Welcome, readers follow a diverse group of school children as they learn, eat, and play side-by-side in a world where all are welcome.

All Are Welcome is such a charming and timely celebration of diversity and inclusivity! Through sweet, fun rhymes Penfold creates a heartwarming and positive atmosphere and message of love, respect, and kindness. From the clothes the young characters wear to the things they eat, traditions they follow, religions they p
Becky
First sentence: Pencils sharpened in their case. Bells are ringing, let's make haste. School's beginning, dreams to chase. All are welcome here. No matter how you start your day. What you wear when you play. Or if you come from far away. All are welcome here. In our classroom safe and sound. Fears are lost and hope is found. Raise your hand, we'll go around. All are welcome here.

Premise/plot: All are welcome at school. This picture book is written in verse. The first half seems to focus more on
Linda
Many families are pictured with happiness in this rhyming picture book with double-page spreads by Alexandra Penfold and Suzanne Kaufman. Cute rhymes and happy pictures show children, and families, in the story of what seems to be the first school day. The lines on the first double-page: “Pencils sharpened in their case./Bells are ringing, let’s make haste./School’s beginning, dreams to chase./All are welcome here.” Each verse following includes more of the day, during several lessons, at recess ...more
Andrea
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely example of a rhyming story with a positive message for children. The repetition of the line "All are welcome here" is so effective. I can see myself using this throughout the year as a reminder, or even to post in the classroom. What a brilliant choice of words! I especially liked the way the illustrations show diversity & inclusion with different skin colors, clothing, and family groupings.

Laura G
This book would make a great read aloud especially at the beginning of the year to establish a classroom tone of inclusiveness. There is nothing subtle about the message, but it’s an important one for every student to understand. The illustrations are colorful and playful, and I like the small details like the children’s missing teeth.
Viviane Elbee
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for the start of the school year to help everyone feel included & welcomed.

It is not really a story, more like a poem, but it’s lovely. The illustrations are perfect for this book. Kids enjoyed it and voted to give it 5 stars.
Amanda
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This very inclusive book shows over and over again a message that many of our younger readers need for a variety of reasons, at school you are safe; at school you are loved; at school you are accepted no matter where you come from or who you are. Beautiful message.

If only all of our schools/classrooms acted this way.

Kris
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If you are looking for a diverse and inclusive picture book, this is it. It is a little simplistic, but it is comforting, and it is a worthy message. My son was fascinated with the Chinese dragons included, and we ended up watching videos about them after we read this. “We’re part of a community./Our strength is our diversity./A shelter from adversity./All are welcome here.”
Kirsten
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Wouldn't it be fabulous if our children's classrooms were as culturally diverse as this book suggests? I'm sure there are some, but, sadly, not where I live. Bright colorful illustrations jump off the page as all kinds of religious traditions, family situations, and cultural backgrounds are recognized and celebrated in this delightful picture book.
Jenny
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The rhyming text welcomes children back to school. The illustrations really help to emphasize the diversity of the students and the reality that students are all welcomed at this inclusive school. A wonderful back to school book and a wonderful book to build rapport with and among students.
Ro Menendez
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This idea of All Are Welcome, truly being accepted and appreciated for who you are, is always necessary, but never as much as right now. All Are Welcome will help school communities to set the tone of learning from each other, of having safe living spaces in school & the community, not only for children but for adults as well! Within the pages of All Are Welcome we, adults and children, can see a place where diversity of every kind is accepted, valued and celebrated, and be inspired to striv ...more
Mary Harmon
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-justice
An amazing celebration of our country’s diversity. Maybe children can be the answer to making sure everyone feels safe, loved, and accepted. I recommend it for classroom read aloud everywhere.
Wendy Garland
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a special book that should be shared widely!
Jae
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
social justice storytime here i come
Kristen Iworsky
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must have for teachers.
Clementine
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
lovely, timely, important.
Linda
A sweet story to read at the start of the school year that celebrates embracing differences.
:Donna Marie
ALL ARE WELCOME If ever there was a time the world needs a book like this--it's now (2018). Inspired by a poster by illustrator Suzanne Kaufman, author Alexandra Penfold wrote words that, combined with Suzanne's beautifully-detailed renderings, has created a book with a powerful message. It belongs on the desks of every teacher and librarian, along with the one sitting in a very oval office.
Jessica
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully illustrated book about how all are welcome. It is just a gorgeous book -contents and illustrations. It's bright and has most every type of person it it. Love it!
McKenna Paul
Published July 10th 2018 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
Multicultural Picture Book
The perfect book for the first day of school! Lesson on accepting friends no matter their race, religion, or background. We all come together at school. My classroom is its own community and I want it to be an (if not better) reflection of the surrounding community outside the school.
  • Dreamers