Start by marking “Holly and Oak (Familiar Spirits, #2)” as Want to Read:
Holly and Oak (Familiar Spirits, #2)

Holly and Oak

(Familiar Spirits #2)

Once a year, the town of Ravenscroft celebrates the winter solstice by watching the Oak King symbolically slay the Holly King to ensure the death of winter. To most people, it’s a pagan ritual that has lost all meaning in the modern world, harmless fun during the week of Christmas. To the coven who founded the town, it’s a magic so important they entrusted it to the two st ...more
Published December 5th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Holly and Oak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holly and Oak

Relly
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-2018-read
Better

3.75 ⭐

I liked this one better than the first one by a long way. I commented in my review of the first book that this author uses miscommunication and not talking to each other as a common tool. It didn’t work for me in the first book, but this is one of the cases where that tool works, because there was a reason behind it. Not just one of the characters believing that the other wouldn’t want them and not trying, but actual events that lead up to where they are now.
I connected easily with
Ann
You definitely need to have a grasp of the Holly and Oak legend to appreciate the story fully, so read the blurb carefully, it gives good background that the story itself doesn't give until you're well in to the story.

I loved Chester and felt so bad for the raw deal he'd been dealt by the town. Getting to know he and Will as the story progresses is a treat and the two had so much more depth than the town gave them credit for. They truly embodied the characters in the legend and the author did a
Alison
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was lovely. I really enjoyed it. Not my favourite R. Cooper, but a goodie nonetheless.
Sierra
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
Rating 2.5 After loving A Little Familiar so much I was really disappointed in this one. I just didn't buy the relationship--and especially its change--between these two. I never could make myself like Chester and didn't feel that, as stated in the blurb, he had any affinity for other people at all. He is extremely prickly and awful with Will, making me completely at a loss for how Will comes to have feelings for him. The love on Chester's part is more easily explained, and the story of how he's ...more
Tori
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
4.5 stars.

Oh, I loved this. Chester and Will and their combative, yet sweet relationship were so good. I really liked the premise of Oak and Holly, and how they shared the power and what it meant for each of them to give it up.

I'm docking half a star because I felt, like in the first book, that too much was told rather than shown. I didn't really understand why Chester was kept away from Will, or why he was so hated by literally everyone.
Rachael Bradshaw
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5. I really like how the author creates atmosphere in both this and the first book in the series, but I find these books slightly hard to follow. The lack of plot clarity, along with a few editorial errors, keep me from enjoying the beautiful, seasonal atmosphere and rich details as much as I'd like to.
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
Cute, short story. Although, some of it was very hard for me to follow. Things just weren't clicking and I felt I didn't know what was actually happening. I'm chalking it up to me being exhausted while reading the story.

3.5*
emma
THIS WAS SO CUTE!!!! i wish it had been longer with a bit more plot but otherwise a nice light read
Katherine
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Winter bows to Summer

This was beautiful and heartbreaking, a story of two boys kept apart by a childhood misunderstanding and a town's contempt but kept together by that same town's need. Now adults, choices have changed and they face a whole new world that will change them and the town.

William and Chester are two very powerful witches. They are the most powerful in many generations, so their town decidedto to use them to enact an old ritual of power to bring prosperity to the town, one of the H
Kat
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming tale

I really enjoy these Familiar Spirits books! I have reread the first one many times. The author just has a way of making your heart squeeze with the characters feelings. It’s a perfect mix of anxiety and cheer.
Achim
3.5
What if summer and winter are just ordinary guys or maybe not that ordinary because they are witches and not really summer and winter but figures in a solstice ritual where the holly king and the oak king take the power and magic of the other depending on the solstice.

As the most powerful witches of the small town of Ravenscroft Chester and William are more or less forced into those roles for the benefit of the town and the surrounding area and act to their roles. Friendly and sunny Will lik
Elizabeth Hanelt
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I hope Cooper writes one for each point on the Wheel Of The Year

I just finished reading this actually. Cooper's depth of description and delicacy of touch and subtle references. Every book of hers I've read has been satisfying. There's just something about the way she sets up the conflict between characters, and the circuitous flirtatious path characters take towards resolution. In sensuous and beautiful turns of phrase, backstory builds, and even details of things like weather, which could be u
Anne Crow
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, queer, romance
I would give this 3.5 if I could. On first reading I wasn't as taken with it as "A Little Familiar" - I didn't get as strong a sense of Will as I would have liked (would have welcomed shifting perspectives), and I also felt I needed a better understanding of both the ritual and the history of that town and its coven. And of their history - individually and together - high school was referenced frequently and yet they're both in their late twenties - what happened in the years in between? And yet ...more
Heather
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not going to go into any of the plot as Holly & Oak is definitely one you have to experience to fully appreciate the story and the characters. As for Chester and Will, well they both have some growing up to do or at least it appears that way but then as the story progresses you learn a few things and realize it isn't just them. Truth is they are both a delight but I would have to say that Chester probably touched me more but they both deserve to find the happiness that has been denied th ...more
Jess ORourke
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The thing about R. Cooper stories is you are sort of dropped in the middle (or at least the middle of the beginning or maybe even end of the beginning) and you don't know what is going on. It takes me about 1/3 of the book to figure out the story. Once I figure out the story and the characters and who is who and what is what, I think it is a solid book. But until then, I am always grasping at the ideas of who and or what is important. It is confusing.

Holly and Oak is no different. It seems like
Lindsay
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magic and wonder

Ches has been in love with Will for years, they are the strongest witches in their town coven and are used to herald in both summer and winter.
They begin to talk at long last after ches has been warned off talking to Will making them both unhappy, R Cooper is the writer of misunderstandings between MC's
Theopulas Jerome Robinson
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely holiday read

I enjoyed A Little Familiar and I really enjoyed Holly and Oak. The story is engaging and Chester and Will adorable. I also loved the familiars. This book as the first will become a part of my holiday reading.
Bishonen
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Morgan
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little bit more confusing then the first book, but still an adorable read. I love that they refer to the other as "my King" or Holly/Oak- it was just adorable and added to the importance of their positions (and did I mention it was just adorable?)
Marianne
I liked the concept of Holly and Oak. Chester and Will's relationship was sweet, and I really liked Chester's friendship with Mercy. Overall I enjoyed the book, but I did find the last "chapter" dragged a bit. A short epilogue with flowers would have worked better for me.
Emma
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just love this series so intensely.
Kris
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick and easy read, this story had more characters and interactions than the preceding story, which made it a much more rounded and satisfying read.
Evamaria
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m, romance
Bob
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book.
Sunny
3.5
The veil was a bit thicker to read through this time, and I really don't like communication issues, but I still love how Cooper puts words together,
Kate
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Absolutely fantastic - the only bad part was that the book ended! More please!
Drianne
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, sf
This was nice, but I just wanted there to be more there... there. But it met my expectations.
Rin
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

This was a really sweet read and I loved the characters. The context felt a bit fuzzy at the edges (plus the fact that I did not read the first book in this series and may have been left out on some world building) but it eventually got slightly clearer as the book progressed and I liked how I slowly got to know what was really happening.

The misunderstanding between the characters may feel a tad drawn out but I enjoyed the story as a whole and Chester and Will really felt like they wer
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
I'm a somewhat absentminded, often distracted, writer of queer romance. I'm probably most known for the Being(s) in Love series and the occasional story about witches or firefighters in love. Also known as, "Ah, yes, the one with the dragons."

Feel free to friend me on Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr.

Twitter: @rispacooper
Facebook: @thealmightyris
Tumblr: sweetfirebird.tumblr.com

Or just visit my websit

Familiar Spirits (3 books)
  • A Little Familiar (Familiar Spirits, #1)
  • Nothing More Certain (Familiar Spirits #3)