Start by marking “The Weight of the Stars” as Want to Read:
The Weight of the Stars

The Weight of the Stars

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,901 ratings  ·  927 reviews
Ryann Bird dreams of traveling across the stars. But a career in space isn’t an option for a girl who lives in a trailer park on the wrong side of town. So Ryann becomes her circumstances and settles for acting out and skipping school to hang out with her delinquent friends.

One day she meets Alexandria: a furious loner who spurns Ryann’s offer of friendship. After a horri
Published March 19th 2019 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of the Stars, please sign up.
K. Ancrum They are the distance in time between the last chapter. The book’s original title was “Ryan Bird, the Star Kid and the Incomprehensible Wait”, and the…moreThey are the distance in time between the last chapter. The book’s original title was “Ryan Bird, the Star Kid and the Incomprehensible Wait”, and the chapter titles were designed to emphasize and reflect the theme which is “the stretch of time” Ex: the time Ryann waited for Alexandria's Friendship, the time Alexandria was waiting for her mom and eventually, the time Alexandria waits for Ryann. But when Macmillan changed the title of the book for marketing purposes, a bit of the nuance of that was lost. :( (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Weight of the Stars
Lala BooksandLala
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
I feel like calling books like this "quiet science fiction" ? though that's probably not a real term. What I mean is a story that is character driven, introspective and existential, with science and space being the motivation for the setting, but not the vehicle for the story itself.

In this book we're following 2 teenage girls, a slow burning hate to love romance, family hardships, and the desperate lure of space travel.

Ryann is used to acting out and not expecting a lot of herself. She's from a
chai ♡
I finished this book and wandered downstairs in a dream, my head spinning, but acutely, achingly conscious that I was alive. A wild desire to go outside and lay under the cold of the stars gripped me, and that moment, seemingly ordinary, felt utterly surreal. The obscure unreality of it all expanded until it blotted out all else: nothing mattered, problems were futile, the planets spun, life went on, and I was my own celestial being.

Look, I'm just a simple girl with a highly detailed and romanti
Melanie
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: may ➹
So perfect... so very perfect.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

This was the January 2020 pick for the Dragons and Tea Book Club! 🐉☕
Elle (ellexamines)
description

All joking aside, this book was wonderful. @KaylaAncrum so kindly offered me an arc of The Weight of the Stars literally months ago, and my reading slump sort of destroyed my reading plans (oops), but. It. Was. Worth. The. Wait. Well-written, existential, and so so deeply human. And the last twenty pages are singlehandedly my favorite thing I’ve read this year.

Here, we’re essentially following three lead characters:
➽Ryann Bird, trying to raise her brother James and James’ adopted child Charlie.
emma
Anyone know if the program in this book, in which young people are recruited to spend their lives traveling through space in a rocket, is anywhere close to existing in real life? Because I’m interested.

I’d like to be vaulted out of the atmosphere, if possible.

Did this drag for me in the middle? Yes. Did the friendships and characterizations kind of stray away from what I would call “realistic” or even “pleasant and/or believable to read about”? Indubitably.

But overall, this was such a creative a
may ➹

I was just looking for a good time and instead I ended up crying myself to sleep at 1am because of this book, and K Ancrum knows exactly what she’s done and I know she’s out there smiling to herself!!!

The Weight of the Stars is about a girl named Ryann, who is struggling through her last year of high school while having to take care of her brother and his son. Alexandria is new to town, and she instantly intrigues Ryann, to the point where it gets her in trouble.

But there is more to Ale
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: lesbian mc, mixed-race Black lesbian li, poc side characters, side mlm relationship, side interracial polyam relationship

(yells from rooftops) BUTCH LESBIANS & SPACE & SOFTNESS & TRUE LOVE

i would give my life for kayla's writing but also her writing saves my gay life - Equivalent Exchange
Riley
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
i have no words for how much i loved this. just tears.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
All Ryann wants is to travel through space, but that’s not happening for a girl living in a trailer park, taking care of her brother and his baby—so she spends her time befriending the “misfits” at her school and trying to stay out of trouble. When Alexandria shows up, she wants nothing to do with Ryann and her friends, but Ryann’s never been one to back down from a challenge, especially when that challenge is a girl known far and wide for being the only daughter of a famous astronaut who wen
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Melanie
Shelves: queer
*hugs myself forever* brb i'm just gonna go cry for a decade don't mind me ...more
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jan 08, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
I tried to look up how much stars actually weigh and Google just showed me Kim Kardashian's butt.

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Kayla Dawn
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
God, I really really wanted to love this..

"The Wicker King" is one of my favorite books and my hopes were so high for this one.. I was sure Ancrum would be one of my new favorite authors.
But I just didn't enjoy this one. Neither did I care for the plot nor the characters.. and the writing style felt way different than it did in Wicker King.

I don't know. I'm sad now..

(But everyone else seems to love it so far, so maybe I'm just weird lol.)
Lex Kent
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn this book! Such a good read but it completely wrecked me. I’m emotionally and physically exhausted but in a good way. I wanted to end the year by reading a few books that have been on my to read list all year long and I’m so glad I picked this one because this book was excellent. Ancrum writes really well and I was completely sucked into the book. I read past 3am and had to keep going until the end, I could not put this down.

It’s interesting that the older I’m getting the more I appreciate
amy ☂︎
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-rep, 2020
This young-adult novel featuring high school seniors shows the heavy weight of mistakes, both inherited and self-made. It portrays palpable emotions such as grief, protectiveness, anger, hope, and love, and it does this all with a beautifully diverse cast of characters.

As for the rating, this novel started out as a 3 for me (mainly because I wasn't quite sure where it was trying to go), the story progression later on had me at a high 4, but that author's note...OMG, a solid 5. K. Ancrum can del
nat
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here I am, getting nostalgic enough about my favorite books to finally write reviews for them. The Weight of the Stars was my favorite book of 2019, and despite how much I had screamed about it last year, I don't think I've even ever mentioned it in a descriptive manner in like . . . 7 months. And I don't really know why, either? Because this book is so amazing, brilliant and special, and as my one-line review said, "I LOVE THIS BOOK PLEASE READ IT."

This follows a Black lesbian named Ryann, and
Julie Zantopoulos
"Fighting for yourself is another way of loving yourself."

Ryann Bird has been fighting for herself, for her family, for so long she doesn't remember what it feels like to be a gentle thing. Ryann has been taking care of her brother Jamie since their parents died and as if that wasn't enough on her eighteen year old shoulders she's also trying to keep her grades up so she can get into a space program. She's the glue that holds her friend group together and she's tough as hell with a heart of gold
Gabby
DNF at 205 pages
I knew I was taking a risk by putting a young adult book in my five star predictions.. but I’m still really shocked I didn’t love this. I think my problem is that I went into this with false expectations and I didn’t really understand what this book is even about going in. I thought it would involve more sci-if and space elements. It’s really just a moody coming of age story in a futuristic setting and sometimes they mention astronauts and space stuff.

I didn’t connect with any of
C.G. Drews
I'm always very emotional about K. Ancrum books (The Wicker King having filled my whole soul in ways I very much needed) and I definitely finished this one feeling messy and complicated. I really really like the very last chapter and I have hope. TWK was about clinging desperately to what you love (which means a lot to me), but TWOTS is about leaving, which I confess does leave me in ruins. That's not a criticism of the book! I recommend everything this author writes because these books are diff ...more
Acqua
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Weight of the Stars is the kind of novel that reminds me of the power of quiet books. There are no grand revelations, surprises or explosions; just two girls, their friends, and the stars - and yet it feels so wide, carrying so much weight sometimes in just a paragraph, so much emotion in the unspoken moments.
It does feel like looking at the stars.

This is a story about Ryann, a queer butch girl, who falls in love with Alexandria, a biracial black girl whose mother left to live in space and n
Romie
I don't know how to talk about this book without saying, first and foremost, that it's such a beautiful one. such a brilliant one. such a unique one. it's so different from what I've read in the past, especially when it comes to f/f relationships.
it's a book that broke my heart, again and again. it gave me a group of friends, lonely people coming together and forming a family, helping one another no matter what. it gave me a commentary on loneliness and humanity, and what it means to go after so
Thomas
Ugh I dislike writing negative reviews of books by queer BIPOC authors so I’m gonna try to make this one quick. I appreciated the nonproblematic representation in The Weight of the Stars, ranging from the Black lesbian romance to the polyamorous parental relationship to the prominent Sikh character. Reading the author’s note, I liked how K. Ancrum cared for characters and how they represented people confronting their issues and overcoming their problems through love, knowing their worth, and con ...more
Silvia
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was kindly sent this book as an advanced copy by the author for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Okay let me tell you about this book and not because technically I kind of have to review it but because I just really need an outlet for what I'm feeling after finishing it.

THIS BOOK is very different from The Wicker King but it's also very similar. But kind of not. I'M ALREADY NOT MAKING SENSE HERE but I'm really trying.

The Weight of the Stars throws you in an initially seemi
jade
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: teenagers with a love for space? i think?
Recommended to jade by: various book clubs
“all i am is a terribly brave small thing, with a terribly brave small life, and a terribly brave love that spans eons.”

… i really, really wanted to love this. spoiler: i didn't.

this is a story of a bunch of kids who fuck up and don't always get it right; who love each other deeply, but have their own unique way of showing it. there's broken families; there's whole ones. there's rawness and violence, and hugs and pinkie promises.

coming of age with trauma and space themes. sounds righ
mina reads™️
I haven’t cried while finishing a book in so long but I’m sobbing over this one...I don’t know what to do with myself right now

The Weight of the Stars is a YA title about a young girl named Ryann Bird who dreams of space travel, however a career in space seems unattainable for a young girl who lives in a trailer park. No parents to speak of, just her taking care of herself, her younger brother James and James’ son. One day she meets a girl named Alexandria and Ryann is desperate to integrate the
Michelle
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Weight of the Stars is the second book that I have read by K. Ancrum. The first, The Wicker King, I read along with the Dragons and Tea book club here on Goodreads. I loved that book so much that I contacted the author personally to ask for this ARC and bless her heart she was gracious enough to send me this beautiful gift.

When Ancrum says "Love is such an awful, powerful thing," she means to warn you. For she breathes it into her prose. Her writing is so beautiful that at times you have to
literarylesbian
May 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Very interesting premise, I loved the writing style as well. A quick read that makes you feel things, definitely recommend.
katie ❀
i say that i don't cry easily, but that is an absolute lie. and me reading books like this PROVES IT.

"Don't...take time for granted. You have all this freedom and opportunity and people around who love you. Make sure you use the time you have to love them back."

the plot, the banter, the characters--every single thing about this book broke my heart and then sewed the pieces together again.

this is the exact opposite of a fluffy story, but i loved it so much and i'm just SCREAMING. i can actu
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sol ~ TheBookishKing by: Melanie
“Love is not about holding people where you want them. It is about doing what’s best for them because you need them to be okay.”

Do you ever read a book that you want to hug so close to your soul but at the same time want to chuck it across the room cause it messes you up so bad? Welp that’s exactly how I felt with this one, I did not expect to completely fall in love with it. K. Ancrum stays winning with her books and can’t wait to see what else she has in store for us!

If I was to sum this up qu

• You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Felix Ever After
  • The Henna Wars
  • Iron Heart (Crier's War, #2)
  • The Falling in Love Montage
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Cemetery Boys
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle, #1)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Honey Girl
  • Watch Over Me
  • The Dark Tide
  • Written in the Stars
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Elatsoe
  • When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain (The Singing Hills Cycle, #2)
See top shelves…
K. Ancrum, is the author of  the award winning thriller THE WICKER KING,  the interstellar lesbian romance THE WEIGHT OF THE STARS and the upcoming Peter Pan thriller DARLING. K. is a Chicago native passionate about diversity and representation in young adult fiction. She currently writes most of her work in the lush gardens of the Chicago Art Institute.

Articles featuring this book

If you like books about queer kids falling in love and having adventures, you're in for quite the treat this month. June brings a great...
“Diversity is a flower that blooms with greater beauty and greater strength each time it is cross-pollinated.” 21 likes
“All that I am is a terribly brave small thing, with a terribly brave small life, and a terribly brave love that spans eons.” 17 likes