Start by marking “A Gift from Abuela” as Want to Read:
A Gift from Abuela

A Gift from Abuela

In her first book for children, Cecilia Ruiz illuminates how things can change -- and the importance of holding on to our dearest relationships when they do.

The first time Abuela holds Nina, her heart overflows with tenderness. And as Nina grows up, she and Abuela spend plenty of time together. Abuela can't help thinking how much she'd like to give Nina a very specia
Published August 7th 2018 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about A Gift from Abuela, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gift from Abuela

Start your review of A Gift from Abuela
Skip
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Sometimes the most important thing to hold on to is each other.

Nominated by Goodreads as a best children's book of 2018, this is a story of intergenerational family love. Abuela falls in love with her granddaughter, Niña, at birth, and they love spending time together playing, cavorting, and visiting the local park to eat pan dulce. Abuela starts to save her money to buy a special gift, but economic times become difficult in Mexico City, and her savings appear to become worthless, but aren't.
Laura Harrison
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this one! A very special 2018 release.
Westminster Library
One of the great joys in life for grandparents is to see their children become parents themselves. This picture book shows the close relationship between Abuela and her granddaughter Niña who are very close and manage to stay that way despite life's challenges. Sometimes physical gifts pale in comparison to intangible ones. Spending time with loved ones and eating pan dulce -quality time indeed.

Find A Gift from Abuela at the Westminster Public Library!
KMWinn
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely made me cry happy tears! Now I want to go hug my grandparents and go spend the afternoon with them like I did in my childhood. This is a new favorite of mine that I would recommend to anyone.
KC
Adorable story between an again grandmother and her granddaughter.
Lin Lin
Abuela and Nina share great moments by doing simply things together. Abuela wants to save money to buy Nina a special gift, but economic changes breaks her dream. Their relationship is as strong. It's a good book to share with children that things could change, but the loving relationship persists.
Jillian Heise
LOVED. A book about the grandparent relationship, and #ownvoices story, a girl and an abuela who both grow older, the importance of keeping in touch with our families. It's all here in a beautiful, heart-warming book.
TaNera Rodriguez
This book was ok. I didn't care for it too much and neither did my daughter. I think it was sweet and what it was trying to teach was nice and I think maybe it was just because she's too young right now that it was lost on her. I'd read it to preschoolers.
Mike Scott
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

A Gift from Abuela is a short story of the love between Abuela and a girl named Niña. The story starts off speaking about the love that Abuela had for Niña the moment she was born. They spent all of their time together bonding and having fun. The two had a tradition that every Sunday they would go to the park and buy pan dulce, which cost ten pesos at the time. At some point, Abuela decided that she would save up pesos every week in order to buy something special for Niña that she would love or
Megan Helling
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
In A Gift From Abuela, Abuela and Nina spend a lot of time together. Abuela decides to save some money each week so she can buy a gift for Nina. After time goes by, Abuela and Nina spend less time together and life in Mexico gets harder. Abuela's money becomes worthless, but in the end Abuela and Nina are reminded of the true gift of their relationship.

One of the major themes in this story is the love shared between people is greater than any monetary gift.

I enjoyed this
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heartwarming. Books like this make me miss my grandma.
Linda
Niña and her Abuela have had a special relationship every since Niña was born. They spend lots of time together, but their favorite time is sitting quietly in the park, eating pan dulce. Abuela decides to save a little money every week in order to get Niña a special gift later. Unfortunately, things don't go well for her. The kind of money changes through government rules and hers becomes worthless and she forgets to do the proper exchange. The sweetest thing is that through the love between th ...more
Amy Lafleur Meyers
This a such a sweet story that I had to read through it twice. The book takes place in Mexico City and tells the story of Abuela and her beloved granddaughter Niña. The two love each other and do everything together from making banners and eating pan dulce. Abuela decides to save her pesos to buy a special gift for Niña. Then hard times hit. This text exudes warmth as with such words as "Abuela's heart overflowed with the tenderness the moment she held Niña for the first time." and descriptions ...more
Jana
This is a lovely picture book that celebrates the special love shared between a little girl and her grandmother in Mexico City. From the time the little girl was born, her grandmother and she had a wonderful relationship and spent time together playing, working, and eating special treats. Her grandmother had been saving her money to get her granddaughter a special gift, but as the years passed, financial times became tough and an expensive present was out of the question. Young readers will appr ...more
Kathleen
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good book both for children of Mexican descent and to show other kids a glimpse of their culture. It tells of how relationships evolve over the years, but caring for one another doesn't stop. A universal theme, for sure. You might have to give background on how money can become worthless and explain papel picado along with some other vocabulary. It is a lovely, beautifully illustrated book. I'm very happy to say that there is a happy ending. (I was afraid of what might happen to abuela ...more
Destinee Sutton
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This reminded me a bit of O Henry's "The Gift of the Magi" because it's about wanting to buy something nice for someone you love, but it doesn't work out the way you plan.

I thought this story was so sweet and full of love, so I was baffled by negative reviews from Kirkus and SLJ. Another recent picture book, I REALLY WANT TO SEE YOU GRANDMA by Taro Gomi, also depicts a strong bond between grandmother and grandchild, leaving the parents out of the picture, but it's clear the grandmother is not t
Libraryworker14gmail.com
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heart warming story about a little girl named, Nina, and Abuela. In the beginning of the story they spend a lot of time together, but gradually as time goes by they do not get to see each other as much. It also touches on the hardships of life and changes happening in Mexico City. Nina's and Abuela's relationship is full of love and kindness.
Loriann
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody who wants to learn about giving of one's self, and anybody who is learning a little Spanish.
Recommended to Loriann by: Goodreads
Abuela saves a few pesos every week to do something nice for Nina because they love to spend time together. Abuela saves until it is no longer feasible to do so, so how will Abuela do something nice for Nina, if she doesn't have any money to do it with?

This is an absolutely touching story of what is really important in the big scheme of things.
Inge
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm interested to see what age group responds best to this book. It's short enough for Pre-K to K to sit through, but the content about the money changing over and the country changing feels more 1st and 2nd. Still, a sweet story about a child and her grandmother spending time together and making the best of it.
Rachel Parrott
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Lovely illustrations accompany this sweet story of grandmother and granddaughter and the bound between them. There is also a glimpse of life in Mexico.

My copy was a gift through Goodreads First Reads.
Beronica
A great reminder that there is more to life that just money.
Maija
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very sweet story and it also gave you a bit of historical context about Mexico's money system that I would have otherwise not known without further inquiry.
Lanie Tankard
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here's my review at The Woven Tale Press:

Karrie Chajkowski
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Touching story of an Abuela who wants nothing more than the best for her granddaughter. Beautiful relationship and phenomenal illustrations.
Elizabeth
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, sweet book about an abuela and her granddaughter. I loved the illustration style, and the story will make you feel warm inside. A gem of a book.
Pita-eater
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Times change, but the love between Abuela and Nina stays the same.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Very sweet.
Mary Lee
Grandmother, granddaughter, life gets in the way, they work it out.
Megan
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Abuela and Nina have a very special bond and love to do things for each other.
Chacha Centeno
Reminds me of growing up with my grandparents. Beautiful story, could probably work for a preschool storytime or class visit (1st grade or above).

• Another
  • I Will Be Fierce
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • Dreamers
  • Mommy's Khimar
Cecilia Ruiz is an illustrator and graphic designer living and working in New York. She obtained a BFA in Graphic Design from Universidad Iberoamericana in Mexico City and a MFA in Illustration at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. The Book of Memory Gaps is her first book.