Start by marking “The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition (Star Wars)

The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition

(Star Wars: Novelizations #8)

Written with input from director Rian Johnson, this official adaptation of Star Wars: The Last Jedi expands on the film to include scenes from alternate versions of the script and other additional content.

From the ashes of the Empire has arisen another threat to the galaxy's freedom: the ruthless First Order. Fortunately, new heroes have emerged to take up arms--and perh
Audio CD
Published March 6th 2018 by Random House Audio Publishing Group

Start your review of The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition (Star Wars)
Khurram
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easiest 5 stars every. I am a huge Star Wars fans and loved the Last Jedi movie. I love this book even more then the movie. It does exactly what a book should adds to the story , adds to my Star Wars experience and great continuity between the books and the comics. Some people do not like having read other books/comics or play the game. I love this continuity. I am so glad Disney continued it when they took over the franchise.

From the intro the book starts with Luke having a Force dream telling
Sean Barrs
Star Wars novels are always hit and miss, and the movie novelizations almost always seem to be misses. This one was somewhere in the middle.

A good movie novelisation needs to expand on the film. If it’s just an exact repeat of what we saw on the screen then it’s just not worth reading. It gives us nothing new. What this book expanded on was the connections between characters. Leia’s ability to sense through the force was considered in greater detail. She could sense her son and the conflict with
Marianneboss
HELP, I HAVE AN UNHEALTHY OBSESSION WITH REYLO AND NOW I NEED TO READ THIS AND THE ONE BEFORE AND I'M DYING AND I CAN'T AND I'M REGRESSING TO A TWEEN STATE I NEVER HAD IN THE FIRST PLACE

Alejandro
The slowest space pursuit ever!

Once again, fellow readers in the Force, if you have been reading my reviews about Star Wars film novelizations, you already know that I’ll do several spoilers in this review (which is quite the opposite to my regular kind of review, but with Star Wars movie novelizations is quite hard not to fall into spoilers in the reviews about it. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

SITH’S ADVOCATE

OK, most people didn’t like Episode VIII in its movie presentation, and I guess
Avery TheLibrariansDaughter
Ship Reylo? Who, me? No way! I don't like Reylo at all! They hate each other and I definitely don't think that there is any kind of romantic subtext there AT ALL. Nope! Don't ship it!

...I hate myself...

Like... I hate this ship but I also love it?

Also, did Kylo Ren learn how to propose from Mr. Darcy?

description

Cuz literally, that whole "You're nothing, please rule the galaxy with me" thing Is like when Darcy proposes to Elizabeth the first time and he's like "You're poor and your family sucks and I've
Kat
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-3
This really picked up in the second half. Enjoyed the scenes between Rey and Ren, especially, and thought the author added a lot to those scenes, and especially the conflict between Ren on whether to stay dark or go back to the light. I am neutral on the whole shipping debate. Personally, I have always pictured them as siblings, but don’t really have a dog in that fight.

I also found it interesting at the VERY very end where it was included three times that the caretaker aliens (view spoiler)
Beatrice in Bookland
”You’re not alone.”
“Neither are you. It’s not too late.”

Was the book perfect? no

Was the movie perfect? definitely no

Was the Canto Bight scene still boring and unnecessary? yes

Was Rose's character unnecessary? ... eh yes (I adore Kelly tho)

Was Phasma's death anticlimactic and a complete waste of what could have become a very interesting character? yes

Was Finn's crush on Rey annoying af? oh my god yes, in the book he's literally obsessed with Rey

Was Kylo's character arc amazing? yes

Was Kylo and Le
Christa
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll be perfectly honest, I skimmed most of this book and read it for the scenes with Rey and Kylo.

Nicis
WOAH. This was so much better than the novelization of TFA! And I actually liked that one, but Jason Fry's work feels like, like, a real book. Like something completely new even when you can tell the source and not just a retelling of events in a screen.

A lot of new scenes, a lot of thigs that aren't mencioned in the movie (Snoke's background and past, How did Rey managed to beat Kylo at the end of VII, Ben Solo's past as a padawan and feelings, Leia's memories, Maz force sensitivity information
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
So much hate in the Star Wars fandom. It's insane. God forbid you say The Last Jedi is your favorite movie in the whole franchise or that you ship Reylo.
Peach Pettes
i’m waiting to see how this will turn out

...and also how the sexual tension in the movie will be displayed in the book too lol
Gemma F
Dec 28, 2017:

It's been two weeks since I watched The Last Jedi, my FIRST EVER Star Wars movie. The characters', stellar acting and plot completely blew me away.

I can't wait to see how the novelization will bring more into the characters' minds and actions.

March 2018 cannot come by fast enough!

Also- Really looking forward to both Rey (Badass female protagonist) and Kylo Ren's POV as he's one of the most interesting and conflicted character I've ever come across.
Ririn
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, sci-fi
I have a terrible flu so I can't write a coherent review yet ;__;

=========================================
eta:
bensoloonefearmeme

=========================================

So, because I was bored, and it was the holiday, I decided to watch The Last Jedi LOL even though I heard some butthurt fanboys hated this movie.

Aaaaaaannd holy shit why is Adam Driver's acting SO GOOD???!! He delivers as Kylo Ren. I was mystified and confused because I don't remember liking him in the first movie. Suffice to say afterwards
Aisyah ♡
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I live for the reylo moments
Lata
3-3.5 stars. Interesting and helpful to get some background and details on character motivations. Much of the story action made more sense.
The audio was well done with beeps, boops and booms in appropriate places. I did not care for Marc Thompson’s interpretation of Rose, though I liked his version of Luke.
It was a little hard seeing Leia in action in the story, knowing the woman who had inhabited her for years was gone.
Ashley
The movie did it better. To be fair, the movie always does it better than the novelization. Novelizations are nearly to a one marketing ploys. But after having read the novelization for Rogue One, I am now spoiled for all future movie novelizations. That book was fantastic. It was a piece of art all on its own, and I nearly liked it better than the movie.

This was not that. It was competent. Nothing was wrong. But most importantly, it didn't really translate; the big moments did not hit here like
Emma
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The novel helped me view the movie better, I liked it, but the writing wasn’t my favourite. I felt it didn’t flow well. 2 1/2 stars.
Elaina
~4.5 stars~

This was another audiobook read, and I enjoyed it a lot! Loved the sound effects and music that are in there occasionally :) It has been a little while since I finished this...I really need to write my reviews AS SOON as I'm finished reading the book XD Or at least within a day or two lol So I apologize for another not so great review. I did enjoy it though and I can't wait for the next Star Wars movie to come out so I can see how this all ends!!
Jerry
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this! I love the film as well, so there was a good chance I'd enjoy the novel, but unlike The Force Awakens, there's more depth here. It feels like you're reading a novel, were TFA felt like you were reading a movie made into a novel? That probably makes zero sense. But go read it anyway.
Shadowdenizen
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
3.5 stars.
I'll preface this by saying I -liked- the Last Jedi. (Feel free to ask me why, but it's too long to go into here.)

I'll also say that the "New Canon" have been hit or miss with me: while there's been a few standouts ("Lost Stars" springs right to mind), none of them have truly spoken to me.

This book follows that trend: while it expands pleasingly upon some elements of the film, it still feels a bit rushed and anemic to me. (The best novelizations can still add to it's counterpart film w
Julie
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, tie-ins
Somehow she was certain of his presence—it was like a fleeting something captured in peripheral vision, or the tickling sensation between the shoulder blades that hinted at a presence behind you.

Goddamn, was this a good novelisation. Faithful to the movie while including a few extra cut scenes and moments, and expanding on the interiority & psychology of its characters -- everyone from Leia to Rey to Poe to BB-8 to freakin' Captain Canady (I really love the old grizzled Imperial veterans who jus
Lucie
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, ben-solo

From the moment I saw The Last Jedi for the first time in theaters, I became completely obsessed with it. It's almost been three months since it came out, and I still haven't calmed down. I hope I won't any time soon. I watched this movie ten times in theaters, when I'm not great at watching movies, I thought about it all the time, made a playlist about some characters, started reading Star Wars novels, because I can't get enough out of it. So you can imagine that I was eagerly anticipa
Lisa
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fyt
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read Jason Fry's book for the very first time and was completely blown away.
He captured beautifully the emotions and the untouched scenes crafted by Rian Johnson. I'm glad we get a little tidbit into Snoke's mind, Hux's past, Luke's struggle on his heroic persona and Ben Solo's never ending disappointment in the people he loved who failed him time and time again.
I may be the minority that loved the people Luke and Leia (and Han, may he rest in peace) had become. Like how Finn perceived Rey when
Scott Rhee
Rian Johnson’s “The Last Jedi” was a phenomenal “Star Wars” film, and an excellent film in general. Let me start with that, mainly to clarify where I stand with my fellow Star Wars fans, many of whom either have problems with the direction in which the franchise is currently heading or simply didn’t like Johnson’s contribution to it.

I loved the film. It’s everything one could ask for in a “Star Wars” film---action-packed, funny, beautifully-filmed---and more. Actually, though, I think it’s the “
Kate
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is exactly like the movie, with a few exception.

I really wanted more from this book than I got. You would assume going into a novelization that you would get more internal dialogue, maybe some important thoughts going through character's heads in emotional scenes? While you do get some of this, most notably from Luke and Snoke, its never to the extent I wanted.

The best scenes were the scenes that weren't in the movie, clearly Jason Fry had a better time writing scenes that didn't need
Portia
Jan 15, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
All I want is to read about Reylo all day long so this better be good.

Also, Reylo is like Anidala all over again and my heart isn't okay...
Marianne Moresco
4.3 stars + 0,20 for the hungry looks of Kylo Ren

I loved the movie. It has its (little) faults here and there, but it's a great film. Not just because of ReyLo, but overall I found it interesting and nuanced, highlighting the grey zone in which the good ones and the bad ones find themselves in such a vast conflict.
Let me say this: this book is a book. WHOA THAT'S ASTOUNDING.
But listen.
What I mean is: TFA novelization felt a lot more like a mere, dry literary adaptation of an action movie, adding
Sophie
Jul 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
The movie was incredibly racist and misogynistic and that's even without all of the character assassination and lack of understanding of the franchise, and completely took its own trilogy off track after a strong start. Truly a terrible movie in almost every way imaginable, so I was obviously going to avoid the novelization.

A friend got this for me and I felt obligated to read at least some of it. There were some nice scenes (I liked Luke and Rey dancing) and some of the scenes I liked in the m

• The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Last Shot: A Han and Lando Novel (Star Wars)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.25)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • Spark of the Resistance  (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #3)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)
  • Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
  • Bloodline (Star Wars)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • Thrawn: Alliances (Star Wars: Thrawn, #2)
  • Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #6)
  • Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)
I am the author of The Jupiter Pirates series published by HarperCollins -- visit the official site at http://jupiterpirates.com.

In addition to Jupiter Pirates, I've written or co-written more than 30 novels and short stories set in the Star Wars galaxy, including The Essential Atlas, The Essential Guide to Warfare, The Weapon of a Jedi, and the Servants of the Empire quartet.

I spent more than 12

Star Wars: Novelizations (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.25)
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)
  • A New Hope  (Star Wars: Novelizations, #4)
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Novelizations, #5)
  • Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #6)
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars: Novelizations, #7)