Start by marking “Wonderland” as Want to Read:
Wonderland

Wonderland

From Barbara O'Connor, the beloved author of Wish, comes a big-hearted story about the meaning of friendship, the challenges of growing up, and one lovable runaway dog.

Mavis Jeeter is fearless and bold, but she has never lived in one place long enough to have a real best friend. Her flighty mother has uprooted them again to another new home and taken a job as a housekeeper
Published August 28th 2018 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (Byr)

To ask other readers questions about Wonderland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonderland

Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, books-i-own
This was a wonderfully cute and warm-hearted read for both the intended younger audience as well as for any age across the lifespan.

From each unique character to the Southern charm writing style, it was an enjoyable and fun quick read. Additionally, along with the entertaining moments of the story, there were also suitably emotional moments that come with some of the discoveries and lessons of growing up.

This book was not the story of one main character and was instead the story of many indivi
Clare Lund
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet story about friendship and finding a place to call home. Didn’t love it as much as some of Barbara O’Connor’s other books (Wish and How to Steal a Dog are my favorites!), but still a worthwhile read. Ages 9 and up.
Leigh Anne
Wonderland is one of those books that warms your heart and tickles your toes. You will recognize Mavis and Rose in your life. They may be your daughters, your granddaughters, your nieces, your neighbors, your friends, your students or maybe even your own best friend. Each book of Barbara O'Connor's becomes my favorite of hers, and this one is right there on top.

Mavis is a girl who doesn't stay in one place for very long and is searching for a best friend. That is kind of hard to do when you mov
Mary Lee
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, dogs, friends, pov
This is a character-driven story of growth and change. A spunky girl, a sassy mom, a timid girl, an old man who's lost his gumption, and a dog who needs a home -- no one is in the right place at the beginning of the story, but by the end, everyone has found who/where they need to be. Told through three points of view, readers can empathize with both girls and the dog. Interesting contrast of lifestyles (economic diversity) might provide some window/mirror moments.
Dylan Teut
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Barbara O'Connor does it again. This book has it all- humor, heart, and a magic about it that only Barbara could accomplish through her signature writing style. Young readers will quickly join in cheering Mavis and Rose on in their mission, while being gripped to the storyline, eager to see how the plot wraps itself up. A gem of a book.
Jana
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this middle grade fiction novel both through my #BookRelays group and NetGalley. I’ve been very excited about reading it ever since I read Barbara O’Connor’s book, Wish! I really enjoyed reading this story of friendship, people’s abilities to grow in positive ways, and the realization that people are multidimensional – no one is all good or all bad in real life.
We learn all of these awesome lessons through the story of Mavis Jeeter, Rose Tully, M
Melanie
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Barbara O'Connor truly is the queen of middle grade fiction. Everyone knows what it feels like to long to belong to someone, and Barbara adeptly portrays that feeling in four different ways. You're bound to fall in love with Rose, Mavis, Mr. Duffy and Henry the greyhound. Pre-order this gem that comes out on August 28, 2018.
Ms. Yingling
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Mavis Jeeter and her mother have moved around a lot, mainly because her mother is never happy with any of her jobs. It's hard on Mavis, who just really wants to stay in one place and make some friends. When the two move to Alabama so her mother can be the housekeeper for the Tullys, Mavis is superexcited. Not only do they have a nice, if small, apartment as part of the job, but there is a girl, Rose, just her own age. There's plenty to do in the gated community, includin
Allison
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-books
I adore Wonderland by Barbara O'Connor. The characters (both human and canine) are fantastic. Readers will relate to Mavis and Rose and their struggle to be best friends. The emotion and introspection is believable and will help young readers navigate the ups and downs of friendship. Henry, the stray dog who also wants a best friend, stole the show. I read the book in one sitting because I just had to find out about Henry's background and know what the future held for him! Love this book and can ...more
Wendy Garland
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderland captures true friendship over and over. Two girls from very different walks of life become friends and they seek an elusive dog to help the failing gatekeeper. Barbara O'Connor embraces childhood and the freedoms associated with it - the freedoms to dream and not let adult notions and preconceived ideas get in the way. This book is a celebration of friendship, the innocence of childhood, and the power of man's best friend.
Scott Fillner
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Barbara O’Connor is a talented story writer. For fans of How to Steal a Dog and Wish...you will most certainly fall in love with this story as well. Barbara is in her groove when she is writing stories like this. This book will be sure to warn reader’s hearts come August.
Alicia
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This delightful middle grade with three (actually four if you count Mr. Duffy) vivid characters, Mavis, Rose, and the dog, Henry. When Mavis moves into the garage above Rose's parents' house to be their housekeeper, Mavis and Rose form a special bound and when Rose brings Mr. Duffy's a newly widowed pet owner, the relationships take on a more meaningful connection as everyone learns to be themselves.
Stacy Scherr
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
My kids (ages 13, 10, 5) liked this book MUCH more than I did. It's not that I disliked the story, just that I enjoyed other Barbara O'Connor books at a 5 star level making this read feel a little meh. Overall, still a good read with plenty of discussion points (standing up for oneself, making friends, feeling connected, the value of animals in our lives and of helping others) to expound upon with kids.
Laela
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fic, dogs
Did you love the Penderwicks? Then this is the book for you.

Wonderland is good clean fun with the most adventures thing that happens is the girls cross the road without permission. Also great for the kid who worries too much. Added bonus for a sweet runaway dog named Henry.
Julie Kirchner
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great middle grade story that fans of Wish and How To Steal a Dog will love. Sweet story of unlikely friendships.
Cassidy
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I had read Wish first and it became one of my favorite books of 2018. Then I read Wonderland, and loved the story-line, loved the characters, and also, being a dog lover, loved the ending.
I'd read it again and again and again and recommend it to anyone!
Holly Mueller
Barbara O'Connor has done it again - written the perfect middle grade realistic fiction book. Like I've said in other reviews about her previous books, she capture childhood perfectly - the doubts, fears, triumphs, and joys. The other gift that O'Connor gives us with every book is that perfect sense of nostalgia. I just finished Daniel Pink's new book, WHEN: THE SCIENTIFIC SECRETS OF PERFECT TIMING, and he says: "Like poignancy (which O'Connors books also contain), nostalgia is a 'bittersweet bu ...more
Jacqueline
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of Barbara O'Connor and was delighted to get an ARC of this book at BookExpo.

O'Connor does an excellent job in Wonderland of juxtaposing the problems of a wealthy child and those of a child struggling with poverty. Mavis and Rose are unlikely friends but the way in which they help each other grow is touching. A satisfying story of friendship and overcoming one's fears.

Favorite line from the book p. 168 "You can't keep trouble from coming, but you don't have to give it a chair to sit
Laura Mossa
A very special thanks to author Barbara O’Connor for sending Wonderland to my #bookexcursion group. all opinions are my own.

Mavis Jeeter and her mom never stay in one place for a long time, which makes making friends challenging. At the beginning of the story, Mavis’ mom accepts a job as a housekeeper for the Tully family. Mavis desperately wants a true best friend and hopes she has found one in Rose, the Tully’s daughter. Like Mavis, Rose has never had a real best friend either. She does not l
Barbara
Like many other readers, I love the stories told by Barbara O'Connor. Not only is she a gifted storyteller that keeps readers enraptured during the entire tale she's weaving, but she creates characters that seem drawn from real life, sets them into challenging situations, and often depicts experiences that while common in real life, aren't frequently the focus of books for children. Mavis Jeeter's situation is a case in point. Much as she loves her mother, Mavis is tired of bouncing from place t ...more
Laurie
Have you ever had to move from place to place, never staying in one city long enough to even make a best friend? Have you ever lived somewhere your whole life but just never seemed to fit in enough to have a best friend? This is Mavis and Rose. Mavis and her mom are always moving. Her mother never seems to be happy with her current dead-end job or her current dead-end boyfriend. They barely have enough money to scrape by. Rose is the opposite. She has lived in a gated community in Alabama where ...more
Diane
“I’m Mavis. You be my best friend, okay?”**

Mavis Jeeter is moving again. Her mother gets tired of a job and moves to the next one. Now they’re moving to Landry, Alabama where Miss Jeeter is going to be a maid in the Tully household. “Mavis wasn’t a moper. Mavis was a doer. A problem solver. An adventure seeker.” Mavis asks questions and challenges the status quo. She is all confidence.

Then, there is Rose Tully. Rose seems to be the exact opposite of Mavis. She is quiet, worrisome, and accepts th
Mandy Stallard
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookposse
Mavis' mom is never happy with her job, so she is constantly moving them around, looking for the next best thing. Mavis desperately wants to stay in one place long enough to make a best friend. Her mom is once-again moving her to a new town so she can be a maid for a wealthy family. When Mavis finds out that her mom's new boss has a daughter named Rose, she immediately decides that Rose will be her best friend.

Rose's mom never seems to be satisfied with her. She always wants her to join activiti
Mary Sanchez
Barbara O'Connor does it again, but this time with three perspectives about friendship through the eyes of Mavis Jeeter, Rose Tully and Henry, the greyhound dog.

The two girls become on-and-off again friends after Mavis and her mother move in the room above the garage in Rose's home at Magnolia Estates in Alabama. Ms. Jeeter is the new housekeeper and Marvis hopes this time her mother will love her job so they can stay in one place long enough for her to really make a best friend.

Mavis and Rose
Amber Webb
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When the worlds of four very different lives collide, you find yourself in Magnolia Estates. Mavis comes into Magnolia Estates with her flighty mother who lives a very transient life always moving from one place to another looking for happiness. Rose Tully lives in Magnolia Estates with her high faluting mother and deals with Dad and is trying to figure out just where she fits in. Mr. Duffy runs the gates of Magnolia Estates and is entering a very sad phase of his life. And then there is Henry w ...more
Shaye Miller
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Meet Mavis Jeeter, an almost 11 year old whose mother has taken on a wide variety of jobs for years. At the beginning of Wonderland, Mavis’ mom has taken a new job as housekeeper for the Tully family. And as luck would have it, the Tully family has a daughter who is the same age as Mavis!

Rose Tully is a shy worry wart who does seem to fit in anywhere. Her closest friend is Mr. Duffy, the gatekeeper of their community. But after the loss of Mr. Duffy’s beloved dog, he is extremely depressed and u
Miz Lizzie
Turns out one sure-fire way to get me to read (or even discover) a book is to put a greyhound in it. This one not only has a greyhound pictured on the cover but the plight of ex-racing greyhounds is actually part of the plot. Mavis is sick of constantly moving from one place to another as her single mother looks for a job and place to stay that she likes. Mavis doesn't hold out much hope for her mother's new job as live-in cook and housekeeper in a gated community. That is, until she meets Rose, ...more
Susie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having just finished Kate DiCamillo's Louisiana's Way Home, there were several similarities that struck me; what is it about stories with tween southern girls as the main characters? And many who have not lived in one place for a very long time? And few with father figures?
Wonderland is a story of two well-written main characters, who have more in common by book's end than when it starts. It is also a story of contrasts: of Mavis, who has undoubtedly spent more time fending for herself and adap
Lorie Barber
Thanks to author Barbara O’Connor for sharing Wonderland with our #bookexpedition reading group. I had loads of students reading Wish this past school year, and I know they’ll love Mavis and Rose just as much.
As for me, I delighted in the different points-of-view, especially when we were introduced to sweet Henry, and I really enjoyed how the short chapters kept the pace moving, and I know this will build my emerging novel reader’s’ confidence as well. But within those chapters... wow. Wonderla
Karen McKenna
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wish by Barabara O'Connor was one of my favorite reads last year, and so I was very excited for her new novel. It did not disappoint. I loved the chapters written from Henry the dog's point of view. I loved the difference between the two main characters, Mavis and Rose, and how the story was told through both of their perspectives. This is a sweet story about unlikely friendships, finding the courage to stand up for yourself, and what it means to be a friend. As a reading intervention teacher, I ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Merci Suárez Changes Gears
  • Nickel Bay Nick
  • Strongheart: Wonder Dog of the Silver Screen
  • Things That Surprise You
  • Duke (Dogs of World War II)
  • Going Where It's Dark
  • Lions and Liars
  • The Science of Breakable Things
  • The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
  • Paper Chains
Barbara O'Connor's awards include the Parents Choice Gold and Silver Award, American Library Association Notable Books, IRA Notable Books for a Global Society, School Library Journal Best Books, and Kirkus Best Books. Her books have been nominated for children's choice awards in 38 states and voted as a state favorite by children in South Carolina, Indiana, Kansas, and South Dakota.

Barbara was bor