Start by marking “Tomorrow Factory: Collected Fiction” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow Factory: Collected Fiction

Tomorrow Factory: Collected Fiction

Twenty-three stories from one of speculative fiction’s up-and-coming stars, Pushcart and Journey Prize-nominated author Rich Larson.

Welcome to the Tomorrow Factory.

On your left, post-human hedonists on a distant space station bring diseases back in fashion, two scavengers find a super-powered parasite under the waves of Sunk Seattle, and a terminally-ill chemist orchestra
Published May 1st 2018 by Talos

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow Factory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow Factory

Fiona
Rich Larson is a young writer, with a unique voice, and a ton of talent. Our King and His Court remains one of my favourite Tor pieces, so the expectations going into this collection were super high and yet somehow met.

The imagination that has conjured these stories absolutely staggers me. We're in a world of reboots and adaptations, but brains like Rich Larson's demonstrate just why that's such a horror. Innumerable Glimmering Lights, the final story of this collection, takes a situation compl
Alan
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Angry young men
Recommended to Alan by: Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Some short-story collections make you take your time. Others make you want to binge-read them, one right after the other, creating their own internal momentum from story to story. Rick Larson's Tomorrow Factory is one of the latter—once I'd started reading this collection, I just didn't want to stop.

This is, by the way, a good thing, and I owe a hat-tip to Alvaro Zinos-Amaro for recommending this collection.

I must admit, though, that I'm a bit jealous of Larson's prolific output, especially for
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Rich Larson's debut collection is one of the strongest--first or not--I've encountered in years. His prose is consistently taut and supple, muscular but playful. Read this collection and marvel at the range of styles, tones, ideas; at the outrageous yet plausibly conceived scenarios and the invitingly torn characters peopling them. And then find your mind further boggled by the fact that these twenty-three pieces represent but a mere sampling of Larson's vast and ever-expanding body of short fic ...more
Leo Robertson
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Mr Larson’s stories in The Best Science Fiction of the Year Volume 2. You can read my review here.

And as I wrote back then, I found every story of Larson’s online that I could—yet only finally got around to reading them all now. But I never forgot--and have for a long time silently wondered if I’d ever see a story of mine alongside one of his...

It takes real skill to successfully integrate enough sci fi concepts into a short story to make a believable world, while also making the st
Peter Hollo
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been following Rich Larson's short stories for a few years now, but he's insanely prolific, so there's a large amount here I hadn't read yet. He's a master of the form at a young age, adeptly updating cyberpunk for the current zeitgeist. There's shades of William Gibson, Greg Egan, Paul McAuley... He's one of the very best in the current batch of SF writers. Can't recommend highly enough.
Jordi
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hell of a lot of fun. At least on the surface, that's how I would describe Rich Larson’s debut anthology. Fun not necessarily in a happy sense. It can be creepy - yes, but also manage to be moving at the same time.

Tagged as one of the most interesting new voices in science fiction by quite a few editors, including the late Gardner Dozois, and having read a couple of stories in a few Year’s Best anthologies, I was really curious about this collection.

23 selected stories from over a hundred publ
Allan Dyen-Shapiro
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A collection from a highly prolific author of short stories. The one that drew me to his writing and induced me to read his collection, "All That Robot Shit," is one of the best stories I've read in the last year. Like a few other gems in this collection, it resonates emotionally. Yes, I liked the concept of a robot learning to speak from AI processing of a sole shipwreck survivor's profane speech. But the brilliant idea of having the destroyed robot that was the love interest of the POV robot c ...more
David Scrimshaw
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
These are really good science fiction stories.

But they're not happy stories.

According to the bio, the author lives in Ottawa. So, I'm being careful to not annoy any strangers because I don't want to wind up being described as a jerk in a story.
Justin
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good debut story collection. Larson investigates the human condition through robots, drugs, modifications, social media to the extreme, and more. The stories are inventive, moving, gross, and fun. I'll have to check out his first novel, which also came out this year.
Jeff
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Interesting and slightly disturbing, this a collection of stories is great reading from a fresh voice, blending human & tech to odd ends.
Oscar
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So so good! I love that each story is a deep universe you want to get lost in. Come for the sci-fi and stick around for the tech, language play and wonderfully diverse fantasies.
Fresno Bob
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
excellent collection of short stories with author notes!
Cyber
Tilden
Jan 30, 2019
Alexa
Dec 14, 2018
Fantastična čitao...: Čitaonica - februar 2019: Rich Larson 13 11 Feb 17, 2019 09:18AM
Rich Larson was born in Galmi, Niger, has studied in Rhode Island and worked in the south of Spain, and now lives in Ottawa, Canada. Since he began writing in 2011, he’s sold over a hundred stories, the majority of them speculative fiction published in magazines like Asimov’s, Analog, Clarkesworld, F&SF, Lightspeed, and Tor.com.

His work appears in numerous Year’s Best anthologies and has been