Start by marking “Tomorrow Factory: Collected Fiction” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow Factory: Collected Fiction

Tomorrow Factory: Collected Fiction

Twenty-three stories from one of speculative fiction’s up-and-coming stars, Pushcart and Journey Prize-nominated author Rich Larson.

Welcome to the Tomorrow Factory.

On your left, post-human hedonists on a distant space station bring diseases back in fashion, two scavengers find a super-powered parasite under the waves of Sunk Seattle, and a terminally-ill chemist orchestra
Published May 1st 2018 by Talos

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow Factory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow Factory

Start your review of Tomorrow Factory: Collected Fiction
Fiona
Rich Larson is a young writer, with a unique voice, and a ton of talent. Our King and His Court remains one of my favourite Tor pieces, so the expectations going into this collection were super high and yet somehow met.

The imagination that has conjured these stories absolutely staggers me. We're in a world of reboots and adaptations, but brains like Rich Larson's demonstrate just why that's such a horror. Innumerable Glimmering Lights, the final story of this collection, takes a situation compl
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Tomorrow Factory felt like such a catch when I got a review copy on Edelweiss. But then when I started reading it, it just failed to capture me. It's written well, and the ideas are fresh and quite strong, but I guess in the end it just wasn't for me. You'll like it if you're into the eerie and cold robotic future scifi though!

The Stories Have A Running Theme

It was hard to pick out at first because the stories are so different from one another, but they do have a running theme. Havin
Alan
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Angry young men
Recommended to Alan by: Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Some short-story collections make you take your time. Others make you want to binge-read them, one right after the other, creating their own internal momentum from story to story. Rick Larson's Tomorrow Factory is one of the latter—once I'd started reading this collection, I just didn't want to stop.

This is, by the way, a good thing, and I owe a hat-tip to Alvaro Zinos-Amaro for recommending this collection.

I must admit, though, that I'm a bit jealous of Larson's prolific output, especially for
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Rich Larson's debut collection is one of the strongest--first or not--I've encountered in years. His prose is consistently taut and supple, muscular but playful. Read this collection and marvel at the range of styles, tones, ideas; at the outrageous yet plausibly conceived scenarios and the invitingly torn characters peopling them. And then find your mind further boggled by the fact that these twenty-three pieces represent but a mere sampling of Larson's vast and ever-expanding body of short fic ...more
Peter Tillman
TOC: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?6...
Highlights:
• All That Robot Shit • (2017) • short story. A man stranded on a desert island with a bunch of robots. They’re not all friendly. 4+ stars
• Ghost Girl • (2014) • short story. “Set in Burundi and featuring a police officer, a little girl, and her very big guardian…” -- APS. 4+ stars
• You Make Pattaya • (2016) • short story. Sex farce in Thailand. An extortion setup that goes wrong. 3.5 stars
• The Ghost Ship Anastasia • (2017) • novelette. Se
Leo Robertson
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Mr Larson’s stories in The Best Science Fiction of the Year Volume 2. You can read my review here.

And as I wrote back then, I found every story of Larson’s online that I could—yet only finally got around to reading them all now. But I never forgot--and have for a long time silently wondered if I’d ever see a story of mine alongside one of his...

It takes real skill to successfully integrate enough sci fi concepts into a short story to make a believable world, while also making the st
Peter Hollo
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been following Rich Larson's short stories for a few years now, but he's insanely prolific, so there's a large amount here I hadn't read yet. He's a master of the form at a young age, adeptly updating cyberpunk for the current zeitgeist. There's shades of William Gibson, Greg Egan, Paul McAuley... He's one of the very best in the current batch of SF writers. Can't recommend highly enough.
Jordi
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hell of a lot of fun. At least on the surface, that's how I would describe Rich Larson’s debut anthology. Fun not necessarily in a happy sense. It can be creepy - yes, but also manage to be moving at the same time.

Tagged as one of the most interesting new voices in science fiction by quite a few editors, including the late Gardner Dozois, and having read a couple of stories in a few Year’s Best anthologies, I was really curious about this collection.

23 selected stories from over a hundred publ
Charles Dee Mitchell
Whether Larson's tomorrows are just around the corner or in the far future, they tend to be equally dire. Humans, especially younger humans, are enthusiastic about all the pharmaceuticals and high tech enhancements, but they often prove to be diminishments, and in one case may destroy all life in the universe. (Kids, don't play around with old-fashioned bubonic plague.) Gender and desire are predictably fluid in these new worlds, and one of the tenderest relationships depicted involves three eit ...more
David Brennan
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I finally finished my own book club pick. 23 stories was maybe a bit long. Some of them weren’t even proper stories. Like those bullshit tracks on albums that last like 40 seconds? And sometimes the riffs are really good! Like, ‘Why didn’t you expand on that?’. And then other times they aren’t any good and you wonder what the point was. There’s a poem in there also. Meh.
I really liked the collection overall. Larson has a great imagination and has probably predicted the future an awful lot. Fro
Allan Dyen-Shapiro
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A collection from a highly prolific author of short stories. The one that drew me to his writing and induced me to read his collection, "All That Robot Shit," is one of the best stories I've read in the last year. Like a few other gems in this collection, it resonates emotionally. Yes, I liked the concept of a robot learning to speak from AI processing of a sole shipwreck survivor's profane speech. But the brilliant idea of having the destroyed robot that was the love interest of the POV robot c ...more
Carmen McLaughlin
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book all in a couple days because I just couldn't put it down. I was bumping into doorways all weekend, bumping into walls. With twenty-three stories in a single book, they're all fairly short, and even the longest stories move at a brisk pace that kept me turning pages. Which isn't to say they're all fast-paced in the action, some are more thought provoking and emotional, but never linger in one place long enough to get boring. My husband isn't a big reader and even he was compelled ...more
Edward Fenner
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
I saw this collection of short stories on the Newly Arrived Books display at my local library. The title intrigued me so picked it up. I had not heard of this young author before but I'm always interested in science fiction and speculative fiction. This book has plenty of both and a few things not quite fitting either genre.

Overall, I quite liked it. Larson has talent, that much is obvious. He has a penchant for gore, horror, and things with tentacles. That's fine and he does some cool things t
Justin
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good debut story collection. Larson investigates the human condition through robots, drugs, modifications, social media to the extreme, and more. The stories are inventive, moving, gross, and fun. I'll have to check out his first novel, which also came out this year.
David Scrimshaw
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
These are really good science fiction stories.

But they're not happy stories.

According to the bio, the author lives in Ottawa. So, I'm being careful to not annoy any strangers because I don't want to wind up being described as a jerk in a story.
Chris Guppy
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impressive first collection

Very interesting from a young writer. There are elements of other authors in some of the tales which he makes no bones about in his notes including taking a new look at cyberpunk. I'll be looking for his first novel.
Ned Davis
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rich Larson is a very different type of SciFi writer. His stories are very modern using today's technology to some unreal conclusions. The short stories are very clever and some haunting if things like this can happen. He is in his own category of SciFi science writers.
Fresno Bob
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
excellent collection of short stories with author notes!
Oscar
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So so good! I love that each story is a deep universe you want to get lost in. Come for the sci-fi and stick around for the tech, language play and wonderfully diverse fantasies.
Jeff
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Interesting and slightly disturbing, this a collection of stories is great reading from a fresh voice, blending human & tech to odd ends. ...more
Sven
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This is an author with a great imagination and very strong writing skills.
Benjamin DeHaan
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Visceral, mind-bending collection of SF short fiction.

Favorites were:

Circuits
Motherfucking Retroparty Freestyle
Tehila
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Talented writer but not to my taste
Kirk
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Some pretty good stories
AJA
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Majority were very good. Skipped 2 or 3 that I couldn't get into.
Eddie Arthur
Jun 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Not a bad set of sci-fi stories, but not particularly memorable.
Corinne
Read:
Chronology Of Heartbreak 2* Flash fiction. Romance revenge with the help of a time travel machine. I wonder how long he spent with her in the past to cause such a reaction.
Free here: https://dailysciencefiction.com/scien...

The Sky Didn't Load Today 2* Flash fiction. A little girl is noticing glitches in the sky & her mother. Not enough of a story to make sense.
Free here: https://dailysciencefiction.com/scien...

Ghost Girl: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Micaela Cockburn
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tomorrow Factory is an excellent showcase of Rich Larson’s ability to create impressively elaborate dystopian worlds and present horrors one (or I, anyway) wouldn’t have come even close to thinking up otherwise.

With the large variety of characters and settings he has woven into the book’s 23 short stories, Larson pulls readers in and out of many worlds. And though some of those worlds are far, far from the one we live in, others feel closer, with technologies and social norms that seem frighten
Elana
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because the cover looked pretty cool, I love futuristic stories, and it was only a couple of bucks as an e-book. I don't typically enjoy short stories as much as full length novels, but I figured, why not give a new author a chance?

Holy crap! Am I ever glad I did. Some of Rich Larson's military SF reminded me of Neal Asher. Slashy, bitey aliens from your darkest nightmares? Check. "Extraction Request" ticked all the boxes. But there was more. So much heart in Larson's work, e
Angela
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some of the stories in here are really really excellent and on their own would be worth fours stars. but the collection as a whole is really nice.

Also a pleasant surprise whenever I find out an author who's work I like actually lives in my city. O my country. also nice to find out which other countries said author has lived in. It's nice to see see some of that in his work as well.

I hope to see more work from this author in the future. both our actual future and his fictional ones. Some of his

• Europe in Autumn
  • Deathworld 1 (Deathworld, #1)
  • Accelerando
  • In Tooth and Claw: Tales of Horror and the Supernatural
  • The Light Brigade
  • Glasshouse
  • The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse
  • Stoker's Wilde
  • Empress of Forever
  • Travel Light
  • Skink--No Surrender (Skink #7)
  • The Hollow Man
  • Painless
  • The Municipalists
  • We Are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast
  • Schaum's Outline of Basic Electricity
  • Conspiracy Theory in America
  • The Essentials of Hinduism: A Comprehensive Overview of the World's Oldest Religion
Rich Larson was born in Galmi, Niger, has studied in Rhode Island and worked in the south of Spain, and now lives in Ottawa, Canada. Since he began writing in 2011, he’s sold over a hundred stories, the majority of them speculative fiction published in magazines like Asimov’s, Analog, Clarkesworld, F&SF, Lightspeed, and Tor.com.

His work appears in numerous Year’s Best anthologies and has been tra

News & Interviews