Start by marking “The Mad Reader 1” as Want to Read:
The Mad Reader 1

The Mad Reader 1

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
First of the anniversary reprints, with material from 1954 paprback.
Published March 1st 2002 by iBooks (first published November 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Mad Reader 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mad Reader 1

Jeff
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, comix, humor
I include the Mad stuff on my list because for me it was part of my evolution in reading. Children's books - Comics - Mad Magazine - reading stuff without pictures. The 50's/Havey Kurtzman stuff is the best.
Erik Graff
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: art
I loved Mad magazine as a grade schooler, apparently "reading" every one of their reprint collections. Back then the family lived in unincorporated Kane County, Illinois in one of the many developments springing up around the country to accomodate the veterans of America's wars and we baby boomers, their offspring.

The Meadowdale development had no sidewalks, no lawns, no shopping areas, no school when we moved there. I was five and didn't mind not having to go to kindergarten. Kids of my age abo
Rich Meyer
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I don't know about you, but Mad paperbacks were one of the many influences I had when I was learning to read as a wee lad. We used to be able to get them at the local K-Mart back in the day (y'know, back when K-Mart was trying to be Woolworth's), and I bought many of them, all long since disappeared in the mists of time. So when I find them astray at flea markets or on eBay, I snatch 'em up.

The Mad Reader was the first paperback edition that Max Gaines and the Usual Gang of Idiots put out, feat
Brenna
Before it became a humour magazine, MAD was primarily a humour comic book spoofing the popular genres of the day. It was decidedly less "satirical" and overtly big on the parody element.

This book, edited by the late Harvey "Kurtz" Kurtzman, includes some of the classic bits from the magazine's bygone days. Dead-on parodies of the 1950s popular pulp fiction include "Superduperman," "Starchie," and "Lone STranger," as well as some original articles looking at contemporary newspapers and advertisin
Trey
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm pretty sad this didn't resonate with me more. I can tell the detailed artwork filled with sight gags is a spot-on parody of whatever's being spoofed, but unfortunately, I just don't know the source material well enough to take full advantage. It's almost like this should be taught in a history of comics class instead of sold as a humor book.
Tara Calaby
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
These old Mad books are actually quite interesting from an historical perspective by this point in time.
Chris
rated it did not like it
Mar 23, 2012