Start by marking “The Kingdom (Berkeley Blackfriars #1)” as Want to Read:
The Kingdom (Berkeley Blackfriars #1)

The Kingdom

(Berkeley Blackfriars #1)

An unhinged tycoon. A lodge of evil magicians.
A plan to steal every child from the face of the earth.

Fr. Richard Kinney is having a crappy week. He’s not at all sure he’s the best leader for the demon-hunting Berkeley Blackfriars, his boyfriend has just broken up with him, and his last exorcism did not go well.

Kat Webber is in over her head. After discovering her brother’
Paperback, Revised edition, 428 pages
Published November 1st 2017 by Apocryphile Press (first published September 15th 2010)

Kriselda Gray
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
J.R. Mabry has done a great job creating one of the most interesting collection of characters I've come across. The main characters are a group of Friars, who are part of the Old Catholic church - an independent group of churches that have separated from the hierarchy of the Roman Catholics - but they're not what you'd expect for Catholic clergy.

For starters they're decidedly not celibate, and there are a couple of rather explicit scenes involving gay sex. They swear, drink, smoke weed and will
Jess
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book was such a surprising read for me. Based on the cover, I figured there would be an urban fantasy novel with magic, yet I never imagined that friars would be the dashing heroes in this novel. I never grew up with religion, so I tend to avoid novels that focus on God and Jesus. However, the author created the most unconventional priests, who make you smile and laugh. These characters are probably the most unconventional cast of characters I have ever read in a novel.

Mabry's writing also
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliantly written book, with a wide variety of personalities and talents, to make up both the main and supporting characters, which meant the story was filled to the brim with an excellent depth of interaction and detail. The world was also excellently detailed, making the story very easy to connect with.

I found the overall story very interesting and unique. I loved the storyline and the way the characters and their actions took that and ran with it, really building a full story to
Sharon
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won the book in a Goodread contest giveaway and I'm still trying to figure it out (not the fact that I entered and won) but the book. It's a great book on so many levels. I'm into my third rereading and still discovering levels to the book that went previously unnoticed. The book works as a fantasy because of the setting, the author gets into theological discussions (as how could he not when one - if not the major - characters is a gay monk? There is also a married religious couple added to th ...more
Conny
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a First Read Winner of this Book and I really enjoyed it. I was not really sure what to expect but I found myself unable to put the book down because I just needed to know what would happen next. I loved the motley crew of old-catholic friars, who love to drink, smoke weed and are not afraid to use some colorful language. If you are offended by openly guy characters than this book is not for you, I found it rather refreshing. There was plenty of action, suspense, romance, magic, demons, an ...more
Jackie Rogers
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Really don't know what to say about this book. Is fantasy, mystery, humor,God, and demons. Is written as a satire or a take off. Is weird! Has exorcists as main characters who fight demons through out. They are in process of being excommuncicated from the church due to their sinful appetites. Is laughable and serious at the same time. Very confusing at times as it is on the edge of truth. Thanks to Goodreads.
Joan Mitchell
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have-won
This is a great sci-fi story about some imperfect priests that perform exorcisms. Sounds scary but is mostly funny with true to life people facing their own problems while helping others. Their adventures and how they face them is inspiring. I will surely read the next two books in the series. I received this book from Goodreads for free.
Sue Ellis
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wasn't sure what to expect but this was actually a lot of fun, irreverent and heretical maybe, but it pokes a bit of fun a religion while looking at what faith truly is meant to be, of course there's a great adventure at the same time, can't wait to see what this author comes up with next.
Georgina Makalani
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun romp with a group of old-catholic friars trying to save the world from demons and magickians.
I enjoyed this story and I'm curious to see where it goes to next. I found the beginning a little frustrating but glad I stuck with it.
Denise Worley
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was soooo good!!! I won this book from a goodreads giveaway and sooo glad I did! I could not put it down! The story was compelling and intriguing!! The characters are unique and down to earth where they are connectable to you. I am sooo looking forward to more books!
SARA Brooks
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
If you like Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files then you should give this book a chance.
Raven Wiley
Fallie Kehoe
Sep 21, 2018
Mrsfry
Feb 18, 2018 added it
I won this book from a goodreads giveaway. I was looking for something different from my usual reading, and boy did I find it. This was a really good book. It was a page-turner. I loved the characters and wanted to know what was going to happen to each of them in their journey of saving the world from the demons. I thoroughly enjoyed this read and I'll recommend it to my friends.
Viv Carvalho
  • The Ways of Wolfe
  • Tangle Wood Collector's Art Edition: 20 drawings to colour & keep
  • Chesapeake Crimes: This Job Is Murder
  • Castaway Dreams
  • Love Potion Number 10 (Jana Bibi Adventures #2)
  • Murdered Twice
  • The Secret Journal of Dr Watson
  • Crafting with Wood Pallets: Projects for Rustic Furniture, Decor, Art, Gifts and more
  • Jean-Baptiste Cléry: Eyewitness to Louis XVI & Marie-Antoinette's Nightmare
  • Novel Living: Collecting, Decorating, and Crafting with Books
  • Deadly Addiction (Deadly Vices, #2)
  • Murder on the Orion Express
  • Lake Country

Berkeley Blackfriars (3 books)
  • The Power (Berkeley Blackfriars #2)
  • The Glory (Berkeley Blackfriars, #3)