Start by marking “Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,719 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Unlock the Artist Within

Collage is the perfect medium to help you unleash your creative potential. You can gather materials from just about anywhere, glue them down on a surface and magically create a work of art. There are no mistakes, only discoveries. What could be more exciting?

In Collage Discovery Workshop, acclaimed collage artist Claudine Hellmuth shares 15 of her f
Published December 8th 2003 by North Light Books (first published November 24th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Collage Discovery Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collage Discovery Workshop

Darby
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: artists, scrapbookers
This book is a how-to-book for collage artists. This is hands down the best book I have seen on this subject. I probably own about 4/5 collage artist type books (one of which will be another review soon and should have happened before this one as I read it before this one.) But this book has good techniques, good instructions, good photographs and is just in general offer clear, helpful, practical advice for collage artists.

If you don't believe yourself to be an artist or creative, but would lik
Jenn
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Feast your eyes on Claudine Hellmuth's collage style!

Not only does this book include beautiful (and instructive) photographs of Claudine's collage work, but the reader is also treated to many versatile techniques, all presented in Claudine's engaging and thoughtful conversational style, along with very helpful discussions of design issues.

The first part of the book focuses on adding several techniques to your artist "toolbox". For example, Claudine offers explanation and instruction for several
liberal sprinkles
I found this a very useful introduction to collage. Claudine Hellmuth explains very clearly several basic techniques for making collages (including peeling paper, peeling paint, textured paint) and image transfers, as well as using wax as a collage medium. The instructions are very well illustrated and there are several tutorials that easily take a beginner from the start to the end of projects to create some fun and whimsical collages. Hellmuth also guides readers in composition and gives ideas ...more
Mary
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in collage/art/expression.
Recommended to Mary by: found it myself
Another way of looking at collage. I learned several new techniques and ways to use some of my art supplies that I hadn't thought of (fun when that happens!) Found most excellent projects to try, my own way.
Stephanie
I found this book inspiring... it gave me plenty of ideas to try. Some of her artwork looks a bit dated to me, or maybe just not to my taste, but she teaches several relatively simple techniques for collage that would never have occurred to me. Very fun!
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book. Claudine is a clear and encouraging instructor, and the way she describes her process throughout the book is very helpful. I tend not to be drawn to the same kinds of images she uses, but I learned a lot in the areas of technique and process.
Cat
Aug 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent -- it has easy step-by-step instructions for all kinds of techniques, with big useful pictures, lists of tools & supplies, etc. I was able to successfully execute all 4 types of image transfer (caulk, contact paper, heat, and wax) the first time I tried.
Joan
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Alot of hype seemed to follow this book but I just didn't see it myself. There is great information and ideas to check out and the style is certainly Claudine through and through. This does show you how to use pieces of ephemera to make your pieces really interesting.
Angie Dasner
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The author, Claudine Hellmuth, shares 15 of her favorite collage techniques. She guides you along, with friendly advice, on how to develop your artistic voice and turn an ordinary collage into something special.
Jo
Oct 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: altered-art
This book is excellent and I learned several new techniques with its easy step-by-step instructions and guide to which new tools & supplies you need to accomplish some great collage work.
Lucia
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-crafts
excellent.
great photos, instructions, and inspiration.
how to rust bottlecaps and mint tins, how to decide on composition...
must try practically everything in here some day!
opl.
Judy
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Incredible . . . I can't wait to get some paint on my fingers! This book easily met or exceeded my expectations.
Jillian
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mixed media artists and scrapbookers.
Classy, beautiful, and inspiring. If you like Etsy, or Anthropologie--you'll love this. Also, check out her great website: http://www.collageartist.com/links.htm
Jamie
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art
The styles of the very specific projects weren't to my taste, but there it does touch on copyright on page 15.
Sue Rhinehart
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
fun projects
Leslie
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Some really interesting techniques for collage and some beautiful examples of the author's work
Marcie Lovett
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great ideas and techniques.
Bonnie Jeanne
Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera by Claudine Hellmuth (2003)
Clara Dearmore Strom
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great book for us wanna be artists who need a step-by-step guide with pictures.
Andie
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book makes my mind race..what kind of project can i do next....
Maureen
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fascinating book...it certainly makes me wish I could take an actual workshop with the author.
Fran
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Working with it now as I create some new collaged journal covers.
Erin
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved the way this book was organized and the projects that it included. Claudine Hellmuth is a brilliant artist and wonderful teacher- can't wait to read the next book!
Jordan Michael
Aug 07, 2014
Jennifer Cohen
Aug 04, 2014
  • Collage Lost and Found: Creating Unique Projects with Vintage Ephemera
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Kaleidoscope: Ideas & Projects to Spark Your Creativity
  • Artist Trading Card Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • Pretty Little Things: Collage Jewelry, Trinkets and Keepsakes
  • In This House
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Secrets of Rusty Things: Transforming Found Objects Into Art
  • Collage Unleashed
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Altered Books, Collaborative Journals, and Other Adventures in Bookmaking
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspirations from Working Artists
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up & Create! Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99