Start by marking “The Boy Who Swallows Flies” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Swallows Flies

The Boy Who Swallows Flies

Warning Rated Kids-Only for Bug Grossness

Jarrod can view the memories of any bug. He just has to eat it. Its not the tastiest of superpowers and, lets face it, fly memories arent all unicorns and rainbows. Eating insects also doesnt net him many friends, and Bug-boy is an unavoidable nickname. But Jarrods ready to prove that he and his bugs are worth more than ridicule.

Published February 15th 2018 by The Publishing House

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Swallows Flies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Swallows Flies

Start your review of The Boy Who Swallows Flies
Sherry Fundin
Michael F Stewart has a way of taking a simple story and leading me down a road I didnt anticipate, but am so very happy to travel. He layers bits on top of bits and I cannot imagine any childor any person, for that matternot reveling in his imaginative, creative and excellently written stories that leave me anticipating the next one.

Jerrod faints a lot, thus the helmet on the cover. His falling out isnt all bad, in fact there is a benefit, but hes loathe to share it and Im sure not going to
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book was just so much fun to read and I recommend it to anyone who has a child even vaguely interested in reading. While it appears that it is geared toward boys (the whole bug thing) I liked it and I'm and adult AND female so I say it's a good solid read for anyone.

Jarrod, the MC, has these "moments" which doctors cannot explain. During these "moments" he passes out but when he comes to, he remembers seeing different things, but a lot of dog poop. Jarrod eventually discovers what is going
Elaine
The brilliant cover gives a huge clue to what a bugalicious, hilarious childrens superhero and mystery story this proved to be! Jarrod keeps having moments when he collapses then sees and hears things that have happened away from him. Initial medical enquiries dont reveal why this is happening but then he discovers for himself and so begins an adventurous escapade! With his best friend, trained cockroaches and other bugs he sets out to discover a hidden puppy farm and bring the perpetrator to ...more
Tonja Drecker
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Filled with tons of bugs and a boy learning his place in the world, this is a fun adventure with a great message.

Jarrod loves his bugs, and he knows them inside and out. Too bad, that's the only subject he's a whiz at. . .the only thing in life. He doesn't have many friends, gets bad grades and, to top it all off, has to wear a helmet thanks to his unexplained seizures. When he discovers that the seizures have something to do with swallowing bugs, everything turns around. Now, he not only has to
Laura Thomas
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had a feeling this would be a hoot to read and the author didnt let me down.

Jarrod has a condition where he faints for no reason. Thats why he wears a helmet to protect his head. It paints a huge target on him at school and the bullies dont miss a chance to pick on the Bug Boy. Hes been called weird and dumb often enough hes come to believe it. But his best friend tells him he just hadnt tapped into his potential yet. When he accidentally swallows a bug and can see its memories, he thinks he
Theresa Grissom
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3rd, 4th, 5th, middle-grade
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC of this book.

I have read several books by this author and enjoyed them all. The Boy Who Swallows Flies is no exception. Unique and just gross enough, this middle grade novel is sure to be a hit in my school library. I will never look at a bug the same again!
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Meet Jarrod.
Jarrod loves bugs.
So much so that he's earned the nickname 'Bug-boy at school. He has a short attention span, preferring to study the bugs in his classrooms than to pay attention to the lessons. To top it all off, Jarrod has to wear a helmet to protect his head due to suffering from moments, times when he inexplicably faints. Doctors haven't figured out what causes these spells.

One day Jarrod accidentally tumbles to the secret behind his 'moments. Jarrod finds his thing. By eating
Casia Courtier
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I received a copy from XPresso Tours for an honest review. Below is my honest opinion. I wasn't compensated in any way.

Okay, first off, I requested to review this book because I thought my own son, nicknamed Bug, would love to hear me read it to him. I still think he'd love it, but he refused to hear it before this review was due. Lame, I know.

That said, even though we won't have the opinion of a young boy on this book, I know he would love this story. It deals with what is right, superhero
Bonnie Dale Keck
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
NOT kindle unlimited, so guess got it on a freebie day or whatever. It says Warning Rated Kids-Only for Bug Grossness, though I have 2 kids and grandkids {they'll like it} so I don't gross out easy anyway. Definitely different, even as much as I read. Unlike most kids books have run across, not cutesy, just cute.

Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Jarrod is known as the Bug-boy. Why? Well, he loves bugs they are his best friends as he doesnt have many. But he does have one friend, Gavin who Jarrod cant understand why he likes hanging out with him as Gavin is very smart and he is not.

Jarrod has been sick for a long time. He has gone to doctor after doctor trying to find out what is the cause of his illness but with no luck. Jarrod has something like seizures. When he has a seizure he has come to look at it as he is having one of his
Hemdiva Dev
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bug-boy
Jarrod is ill and nor does he or anyone else understand what the problem is.

He has his "moments" and everytime experiences things that seem unreasonable.

He's also the 'Bug-Boy' for he's very fond of bugs. All kinds of bugs. He has them in his room and can't resist noticing them in the school or anywhere he goes.

His moments continue occurring often affecting his health, his grades and his social life.

Until one day when he realises that what he sees or hears is real. And someone somewhere needs
Jane
I want to thank Michael F. Stewart, author and Goodreads First Reads for my eBook Kindle copy of The Boy Who Swallows Flies that I won in the Giveaway.

Eighth grade is hard for Jarrod; he is small for his age, does not do well in school and has a medical problem disorder that requires him to wear a helmet to protect his head when he falls into a 'moment'. One day he swallows a fly by accident and sees what the fly saw just before it died, which changed his life. The second fly revealed a puppy
Michele
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everyone has "their thing," the thing they are good at or known for. Jarod's thing is bugs. He enjoys learning about them, shares his knowledge with friends, and lives with them. But Jared has another "thing" related to bugs, and it may explain his strange health issues. When Jared learns of a possible puppy mill, he uses all of his resources to try to save the day.

Very fun story, full of mystery and suspense. Look forward to booktalking this to my 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders.

Note: I received this
Donna
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
My kids loved this book even my daughter! I enjoyed it too even at 38! Cracking little read very funny and I loved the main character, going to look for more by the author for myself and the kids!!! 😊
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining!

A fun read. Perfect for adolescents, both boys and girls. Filled with mystery, intrigue and science. Whats not to like?
Sharon
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book to fascinate every boy. Science fiction, bugs, dogs in peril, unexplained episodes adding up to a very good book.
Lilybet Holt

• Pickles vs the Zombies
  • The Choice: Embrace the Possible
  • Coop The Great
  • Camp Average
  • Tess the Princess Dress (The Chronicles of the Clothes Mind Book 1)
  • I Will Love You Forever: A True Story about Finding Life, Hope  Healing While Caring for Hospice Babies
  • Dreaming on Both Sides of the Brain: Discover the Secret Language of the Night
Michael F. Stewart is an award-winning author of many books for young people in various genres, including Ray Vs. the Meaning of Life and Heart Sister (Fall 2020, Orca Books). Michael lives in Ottawa.

To learn more about Michael and his next projects visit his website at www.michaelfstewart.com or connect via Twitter @MichaelFStewart.