Start by marking “Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story

Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story

(Mr. Pusskins)

Mr. Pusskins doesn't want to play mouse games.
He thinks snuggling is for the birds.
Having his fur combed?
Listening to cozy bedtime stories?

Boring!

Mr. Pusskins goes in search of adventure.
But along the way he finds out how much love is waiting for him at home.
Published December 26th 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published June 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Pusskins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Pusskins

AleJandra
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kasey-s-books
4 Nadie sabe lo que tiene, hasta que lo ve perdido STARS

Hace un par de días lleve a mi hija a una Play date, y la niña a la que visitamos tenia este libro. Y OMG lo ame demasiado, en serio me gusto tanto que me vi tentada a robárselo. LOL.
Creo que me gusto mas a mi que a las niñas.

description

Las imágenes son hermosas, tiernas y los colores son muy brillantes y llamativos, pero lo mejor es la historia.

Una historia entretenida y divertida, sobre un gato que lo tiene todo y no lo valora hasta que lo pier
Kathryn
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh, gosh! Mr. Pusskins is SO amusing!!! I found myself chuckling just based on the cover art. I have definitely known some Mr. Pusskins-esque cats through my work at the cat sanctuary ;-p The story is told in an endearing and engaging way, although there is nothing really ground-breakingly creative here. It's just a sweet, humorous story about how a grumpy cat who begrudges all the love and affection of his owner decides to try independent living for awhile. Though it's pretty obvious how things ...more
Miriam
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Grumpy Mr. Pusskins hates his cuddly girl and her stupid games and bedtime stories. But when life in the alley proves rainier than he bargained for, can he find his way home again? And will Emily want him back if he does?
4cats
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mr Pusskins, bloomin' marvellous!
Kate
Apr 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I will say this knowing full well the repercussions this statement could possibly have (and knowing this is why I write this blog fairly anonymously): I am not a cat person. Sigh. There you go. I said it.

It’s not that I don’t like cats or anything. The main reason we don’t mix is that I’m allergic to them. Beyond that, I guess I’m just a dog person. Odd for a library employee, I know, since it seems being a librarian and cat lover are synonymous. But that’s that. Let’s move on.

Mr. Pusskins and
Melissa
Took my son to the library the other day and let him pick the majority of books we read. This was one of them and of course he picked it because..well cats.

Mr. Pusskins is a mean cat. His owner shows him nothing but love. But Mr. Pusskins is not content and decides to venture out into the world. Till one day he realizes just how good he had it when he was back home.

The drawings in the book were fun. Mr. Pusskins was perfectly show to be a curmudgeon. I mean look at that cover! How much meaner ca
Saffron
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
One of my all-time favourite picture books. It tells the story of Mr Pusskins, who is doted on by his owner, Emily, but he craves a more exciting life so he escapes to the streets. After getting in with a bad crowd, he soon gets lonely and calls home to be rescued. He is eventually reunited with Emily and he finally appreciates how much she loves him.

The illustrations are superb - brightly coloured and Mr Pusskins himself is fantastically grumpy and spoiled-looking. I have read this to many cla
Dolly
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining tale about a contrarian cat who would rather be outside carousing and caterwauling than at home with his loving owner. He seems to be rather disagreeable and grumpy, but eventually has a change of heart. It's a good example of the maxim that 'the grass is always greener on the other side.'

The illustrations are very colorful and expressive and our girls loved Mr. Pusskins. We enjoyed reading this book together and have put Mr. Pusskins and Little Whiskers: Another Love St
Robin
Reads aloud extremely well. Great characters, dynamic illustrations, genuinely funny. Grouchy pampered cat embarks on the hero's journey.
Kate Hastings
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pre-K to Grade 2 cats humor bad days
Shelves: picturebooks
A grouchy kitty finds out he's got it good.
Becky

First sentence: This is the story of a little girl called Emily and her dear cat, Mr. Pusskins. Emily adored Mr. Pusskins.

Premise/plot: Mr. Pusskins does not appreciate Emily. At least not when our story opens. What we have here is a story of a prodigal cat: "He went places he wasn't meant to go and did things he wasn't meant to do, and made friends with the Pesky Cat Gang." But after some adventures and misadventures, Mr. Pusskins may be ready to come home again. Will Emily be waiting for him?

M
Tegan
Cute book. I like how it shows the relationship from both sides. Mr. Pusskins is super cute.
Angela Bailey
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Title / Author / Publication Date:
Mr. Pusskins: A love story. / Sam Lloyd. / 2007.

Genre: Fiction.

Format: Picturebook - print.

Plot summary:
"Grumpy Mr. Pusskins hates doing ordinary cat things such as playing with his owner Emily but a night out on the streets in search of adventure makes him reconsider the advantages of a loving home" (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
cats, friendship, girls and pets

Review citation:
"Humorous illustrations capture this fluffy, ginger-
Cassie
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, cats
How could you not love that face?!? Mr. Pusskins is my new favorite cat book character. He's a grumpy, ole puss who learns that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. The bold illustrations are eye-catching and the expressions are priceless. A great choice for storytime or one-on-one sharing. Couple this with Nick Bruel's Bad Kitty or Melanie Watt's Chester for a frolicking, feline time.
Alice
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
From the cover of this book, Mr Pusskins is the grumpiest cat in the world, more grumpy the Dexter or Goosie. This book is all about "You don't know what you've got until its gone" Mr Pusskins lives the good life but is tired of the 'good life' so he goes out, parties with some rowdy cats and realizes...he loves his human!!
Sarai
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVE Mr. Pusskins.

Release date: December 26, 2006 | Age Range: 4 and up

Mr. Pusskins doesn't want to play mouse games.

He thinks snuggling is for the birds.

Having his fur combed?

Listening to cozy bedtime stories?

Boring!

Mr. Pusskins goes in search of adventure.

But along the way he finds out how much love is waiting for him at home.
Kathryn
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I just love his name, Mr. Pusskins. If I ever have a male cat I may use that name. Fun story, funny kitty.
Maggie
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story is a super cute picture book about a grumpy cat named Mr. Pusskins. He doesn't like his home or his human, Emily, so he runs away. He has a ton of fun doing a bunch of naughty things with the Pesky Cat Gang until he gets cold and lonely. Then he realizes how awesome Emily and his home was, so he tries to get back home.

I was smirking and "awww"ing throughout the whole book. The big and bold illustrations are great and really emphasize the story. Cat lovers will adore th
Jody
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have to read this book every week to a little girl where I work - despite there being a plethora of books to choose from, she always chooses this & its sequel. I don't know if it's because she shares a name with Mr. Pusskin's owner, or because she likes cats, but it's all she will let me read to her.

It's ok. The illustrations make it for me (I love the picture of grumpy Mr. Pusskins that Emily has beside her bed), but overall the book just doesn't do it for me.
Gwen Ayler
Storytime theme: Cats
A cute story to show how Mr Pusskins goes from thinking Emily is so boring to finally realizing what he's missing out on when he gets lost. I probably would have like it more if it didn't say "Mr. Pusskins" so many times because that wasn't a super easy one to read aloud to the storytime kids over and over.
Abigail
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Weird. I read it because my mom got it for my brother and I was really bored. Extremely cheesy. This is the most info I will give. You will have to read the book to find out how cheesy it really is. But it has a 'good' meaning to it.
Carolyn Jeziorski
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The illustrations make this story. The grumpy-faced cat is just too adorable. I am not a fan of cats in real life, and Mr. Pusskins basically is how I think of most cats--grumpy, unimpressed, unaffectionate, and blasé. He runs away, but then realizes he misses the cuddles and brushing.
Jeanni Cohagan
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book to my granddaughter so many times ... she loves it!
Margaret
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable picture book! I love the ending! My favorite picture is actually the dedication page where there is actually a tiny photo of the author's father on the fireplace mantle.
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This book is adorable. The cat's facial expressions made me laugh out loud and I loved the ending!
Mosley Allen
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, children
Mr. Pusskins a odd name for a kitty but somehow very fitting for his grummpy attitude. This book is worth a read, and I hope to stumble across the others in this series.
Sadia Mansoor
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Such adorable illustraions ^_^
Check out the book now.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqloz...
Jennifer B.
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very funny. Every unappreciative cat should read this!
Valleri
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The adorable story of Mr. Pusskins and his human, Emily, and how he came to realize that a cat's life isn't so bad because he is so loved :)
Alex
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I could not resist the cover of this adorable book! Very sweet story, and the grumpy kitty's face is so perfect!
  • Scrawny Cat
  • Chowder
  • Square Cat
  • Penguin
  • Say Hello to Zorro!
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Finn Throws a Fit!
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • Posy
Sam Lloyd studied at Brighton University where she gained a BA Hons in Illustration. Now Sam is the author and illustrator of many successful picture books for children. Her picture books include Happy Day, Sad Dog which won the Sainsbury’s Baby Book Award in 2003, Mr Pusskins which won the Booktrust Pre-School Award in 2006 and the V & A Illustration Award. Most recently Calm Down Boris publi ...more

Mr. Pusskins (7 books)