Jump to ratings and reviews

Foreign Wife Elegy

This debut collection bears witness to the compassion of nurses, the hardships of injury and illness, and the solitude brought on by marrying outside one’s culture. In these quiet and deceptively simple poems, Taniguchi’s words become a haven for human frailties and peaceful reflection. The child of a Hiroshima survivor, Yuko Taniguchi was born in Yokohama, Japan in 1975. At the age of fifteen, she came to the United States alone and attended high school in Maryland. She studied at the College of St. Benedict/ St. John’s University and the University of Minnesota, where she received many awards for her poetry. Currently, she teaches -English at Rochester -Community and Technical College and lives with her husband in Rochester, Minnesota.

64 pages, Paperback

First published February 1, 2004

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Yuko Taniguchi

3 books4 followers
Yuko Taniguchi, author of the critically acclaimed book of poetry Foreign Wife Elegy, was born in Yokohama, Japan, in 1975. At the age of fifteen, she came to the United States and attended high school in Maryland, obtaining her collegiate degrees in Minnesota, where she continues to make her home.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
3 (14%)
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews
Profile Image for Dafydd.
130 reviews7 followers
October 1, 2021
This is a rarity, a contemporary book of poetry that's actually distinct, well-written, and ultimately interesting, rather yet another book of poems about cranes, descriptions of paintings, and other banal crap.
Profile Image for Heidi.
170 reviews1 follower
February 22, 2023
Beautiful and haunting in their mundane ordinariness. I would love to have a cup of coffee with the author.
Profile Image for Molly.
Author 6 books86 followers
November 28, 2010
Yuko was my Intermediate Poetry instructor when I was an undergraduate. Years later, I will teach that same class again this spring, not in its entirety as I'll spend February and some of January on maternity leave, but I will enter the same building and work with a similar group of students. (This one won't have my dear friend E in it, but I will forgive that.)

I am always tentative approaching collections by those I've known--what if I hate it / what if I love it? How will that change memory or future encounters?

I loved the quiet of her book, the way I could imagine it coming into being, the calm that emanates from its pages. I was most engaged in the first section of the book, where Taniguchi explores and observes, via her husband, moments expressing humanity within the hospital corridors. My thesis manuscript is taking a look at the medical world, so these places were familiar and unfamiliar at once.
17 reviews1 follower
May 16, 2008
I, personally, don't really get a lot of poetry, but some of this spoke to me. The loneliness, alienation, and disconnection from husband and homeland come through strong.
Profile Image for Bethany.
58 reviews5 followers
July 15, 2012
wasn't great but it had some pleasant moments. most of the poems didn't surprise me, they were just pleasant. which isn't bad.
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.