Start by marking “A Year Without a Winter” as Want to Read:
A Year Without a Winter

A Year Without a Winter

Today, weather extremes brought about by anthropogenic climate change pose relentless cognitive and imaginative challenges. Beyond news media, what are the cultural registers of this phenomenon? How can artistic and literary engagements with destabilizing natural patterns summon new planetary imaginaries--reorienting perspectives on humanity's position within the environme ...more
Paperback, Columbia Books on Architecture and the City, 184 pages
Published March 6th 2018 by Columbia University Press (first published February 2018)

To ask other readers questions about A Year Without a Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Year Without a Winter

Silvana
Amusing story about a smart house (yes, with voice command) and its pregnant resident who suffered allergic reaction caused by unexpected shifting seasons and GMO plant.
Danyel
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: shorts
This short story was not what I expected. I liked the exploration of both smart home technology, which is becoming ubiquitous, and the ways in which humans, in all of our complexities, interact with technology.
Edgar Perez
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
loved the point of view.
Even though the story is full of gadget, comic references, cultural references, climate changes, it still manages to be a story about a woman in the brink of giving birth.

The women who inhabits a house, make it part of herself. Loved the twist in the end.
Marco
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I had read and deeply loved Dr. Okorafor's work before and I was eager to read more. This short story does not disappoint: as usual the world-building is exquisite and the characters are intriguing. I would love to see this short story expanded into a longer format, since there is so much to this story that cannot fully shine in mere 15 pages. I cannot wait to read more by this author.
The story is set in a future Nigeria, deeply transformed by the GMO industry, where Anwuli find herself shunned
Shannon
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the smart house. I loved Anwuli and her stubbornness and determination. I love how deftly Okorafor weaves afro-futurism with climate change and all of that with the effects of misogynistic culture. I was also more than passingly reminded of Baba Yaga and now I'm curious to see if there's some mythological crossover there between Slavic and African myths. I really, really hope that Anwuli and Mmiri make it somewhere safe and hospitable.
Ellen
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Allergies, and a smart house make an interesting combination.
Jennifer Bradshaw
This was a great short story!
Joanna