Start by marking “Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life” as Want to Read:

Discover the critical link between your brain and the food you eat, change the way you think about how your brain ages, and achieve optimal brain performance with this powerful new guide from media personality and leading voice in health Max Lugavere.

After his mother was diagnosed with a mysterious form of dementia, Max Lugavere put his successful media career on hold to l
Audio CD
Published March 20th 2018 by HarperCollins (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Genius Foods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genius Foods

Elyse Walters
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was released this year - in March of 2018- just 4 months ago. 196 reviews are posted on Amazon at the moment - with a solid 5 star rating across the board.
As far as nutrition books go - especially relevant to brain health - ( preventing cognitive decline and dementia- all according to the latest science), and overall sound nutrition- advice......
I’ve not read a more readable book- easy to grasp useful health guide book in
a long time - enjoyable too. The facts are easily presented- inc
MusselWoman
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is my new go-to resource to which I may refer to people when they ask, "What do you do?" So
many people struggle with their weight, and because I am relatively fit and lean, they ask me what I do. I
have a Word document I put together with a list of people and reference materials with internet links
(including "breadheadthemovie.com"), but now, I plan to recommend reading Genius Foods. This book
has it all! What I have been learning about and incorporating in my life is everything I ha
Darius Murretti
Mar 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nutrtion
EXTREME WARNING : MAX LUGAVERE HOLDS NO HEATH DEGREE OF ANY KIND . HE HAS NOT APPEARED IN PUBLIC DEBATE WITH ANY HEALTH AUTHORITIES . HIS ASSERTIONS ABOUT CHOLESTEROL AND FAT CONSUMPTION ARE EXTREMELY CONTROVERSIAL AND EVEN ROGUE. . (if he where ever to appear in debate with Dr Joel Fuhrman or one of his peers he would be utterly destroyed )

While Lugavere’s book is glibly written and contains some helpful data . Lugavere does NOT have a degree in nutrition and is extremely uncircumspect in his
Karen
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative, well written book on how to keep your brain healthy through diet, exercise and meditating. This author is a believer in eating all the good fats (basically olive oil) and veggie veggie veggie with little or no carbs. Fiber thru veggies is his mantra not thru grains. Has the medical info to back it up on the "why" it's good for your brain and how your gut plays such an important part to keeping that brain healthy. Did you know that the weight of all the bacteria in your gut equals th ...more
Cindy Rollins
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2019
Well written summary of all the information on diet and health floating around in the last few years. The author’s conversational style made this an especially enjoyable book.

His 10 Genius foods hook was a great way to simplify all the science.

I also like how he acknowledged that there is good stress as well as bad stress. Stress is how we grow, in many cases.

Living with a family member with dementia can make broccoli very palatable.
Dan Connors
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books

Since I'm significantly overweight, I try to read at least one diet book per year. I didn't want to read this book, because I knew it would challenge me on many of my food preferences like pizza, ice cream, breads and starches. It did not disappoint.

One thing that is unique about Genius Foods is its focus on brain health. As I reach age 60 this year, I can notice a small decrease in my ability to retrieve information, and the need to keep brains healthy and functioning is timely and important. T
Bill Yeadon
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been the year of reading books on eating healthy. How can so many doctors totally disagree with each other?

While Max Lugavere falls into the low carb camp at least he is not a hard line zealot. Also, he is not a doctor (didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express while writing) maybe he realized he is not infallible.

I enjoyed his journey of how and why he got to his decisions. Sometimes staying in the middle of the road allows you the flexibility to change when science has updated its bel
Sonia
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book, period.
RbbieFrah
Mar 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nutrition
EXTREME WARNING : MAX LUGAVERE HOLDS NO HEALTH DEGREE OF ANY KIND . HE HAS NOT APPEARED IN PUBLIC DEBATE WITH ANY HEALTH AUTHORITIES . HIS ASSERTIONS ABOUT CHOLESTEROL AND FAT CONSUMPTION ARE EXTREMELY CONTROVERSIAL AND EVEN ROGUE. . (if he where ever to appear in debate with Dr Joel Fuhrman or one of his peers he would be utterly destroyed )

Paloma
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a few essential doubts and questions about this book and the foods he advocates for.

Firstly, in his book, Lugavere advocates for a low carb, high (good) fat diet, that is low in carbohydrates, including those those from starchy plants such as sweet potato, on the basis that they spike insulin even acutely or over a long period of time. I have also been reading about the world's 'blue zones' too, and the research done on the longest living (and healthiest) people on earth, and these studi
Michael
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Of all the available old and recent studies on food and nutrition, Genius Foods references a very small and narrow portion of them to reach some very questionable conclusions. Although the author only says it once in the whole book, you should definitely question all information, including that which comes from this book.
KC
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the exception of grass-fed beef, I am well on my way to keeping Alzheimer's at bay. Will check out his documentary Bread Head.
Susanchitter
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author writes a very informative and motivational narrative on the foods we need to eat to keep a healthy mind and body. Although I knew extra virgin olive oil, avocados, blueberries, wild salmon, dark leafy greens, eggs, grass-fed beef, dark chocolate and almonds were good for you his explanations made total sense. I have a huge sweet tooth but he has convinced me to change my ways. I truly hope this will be a life style change for me.
Kelly
What foods are best for your brain? This book will give you the answers and offer up tips for maximizing the power of your mind through what you eat. Lugavere isn't a scientist, but rather, found passion in the average Western diet when his mother developed Alzheimer's at a young age, with no family history of the disease. What could cause it? This book synthesizes all of the research he did to find any clues as to answers.

I hate diet culture, but I am utterly fascinated with food, eating habit
Anastasia
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed and interesting.
Katharine Kovan
Practical and approachable information for someone looking to support brain health/improve brain function through diet modification. Better used as a reference text than read cover-to-cover.
Kjo1984
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many times the media will take a small part of a study and write headlines proclaiming that this food and that food are now unhealthy. It's confusing and not correct.

This book really delves into the science that we currently have today around eating. And it makes a good case for eating as described in the book.

I've been meaning to eat more fish for years and am now very much motivated to do so! Also looking into IF and lowering my carb intake. Why? Read the book for the details, it better fo
Amanda
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually terribly interested in diet books, but speaking as a pure novice, this book was really interesting. "Genius Food" is full of information about nutrients, proteins, acids, etc, how we process them, how best we can fuel our bodies and minds while avoiding do either harm. While there are certain suggestions that seem a bit extreme (ie intermittent fasting) there are elements from this book I fully intend on integrating into my own personalized overall picture of health.
Drobg62
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scientifically based diet to optimize brain health

If you are interested in understanding how diet and nutrition effect brain health this book is required reading. I found it engaging, easy to read, and highly applicable.
Tammy
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could read this book over and over again. I think it is the best on this subject because of the author’s experience. This book hits close to home. This book gave me a ray of hope. That is truly what is needed.
Deneen Spence
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started out ok, but ended up extremist. I guess thats how the boundaries get pushed out.
Aubrie Wancata
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was truly life-altering. It scared the bread right out of my hands. I am now one month in to eating this way, and haven't felt this great in a long time.
Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies
3.5 And it's not because I paused to think of how to type in Genius, thinking it started with a J and I'm passive aggressive. It's another book on health but something about the summary in the form letter e-mail I got from Blinkest intrigued me so I gave it a shot and listened to it. This is probably not the way to go if you're seriously going to take what the author and his sidekick Dr. Paul have to say.
It tries to be palatable for the average person- which I do think I am, maybe a little less
Kerry
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have read on why the recommendations in the book (and those given, for example, by Mark Sisson) work on a physiological level. Lugavere explains the mechanisms by which the body uses (or is abused by) compounds in food and chemical reactions and how our state of health is reflected in our levels of inflammation. Furthermore, it goes deeper into the affects of inflammation and takes for granted that elevated levels are the underlying cause of or contributor to a ho ...more
Glenys
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent easy to read summary of so much of the latest research. So many of these books are repetitive and drag out the information or regurgitate over different chapters - not so this one! EVERY chapter is worth reading and backed up with solid research. If in any doubt just look at the reference section. I particularly like that Max isn't trying to sell supplements or an expensive programme.
This is an awesome book - great reading no matter what age you are, but it's never too late to take
Ching Yu Tan
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, science
No other book on health has gotten me to change my habits until I came across this book. I’m not one who really bother much about my health and appearance, but what I do care is the wellbeing and efficiency of my brain. Just by following the simple principles and consciously choosing genius foods to put into my body, this book has helped me lose 7.5kgs over the course of 6 months and reaching my ideal weight, by just changing my eating habits and not even having a regular exercise regime. I high ...more
Tina
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, 2018, nutrition
Max wrote a book to help others to have healthy brains and lives after learning that his mom had dementia and that there may be ways to prevent it.

Most of all, there are nutrition tips. Eat fish at least once a week to prevent memory loss. Women should eat beef 3 times a week to prevent depression. A helpful menu of meal ideas is included.

Get enough sleep to prevent problems with stress, hunger, memory and more.

Three days a week of moderate exercise is as effective may be as taking antidepress
Ricky Valles
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I greatly enjoyed this book. Most of the genius foods I already knew, but this book put them into a new perspective that resonated even deeper for me. For example I have a deeper understanding of the dangers of using Vegetable/Canola oil and a new found desire to only use extra virgin olive oil. My favorite chapter is the last chapter because it really brought the whole book together and showed the practicality of all the genius foods without being restrictive to your life. I like how flexible ...more
Lauren
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Explained what these foods do to help keep our bodies healthy and why the common western diet is so bad for our health. A motivating read for anyone who wants to start eating healthier
Marie
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
"We deserve better brains and the secret lies in our food."

"Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around."

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What are the qualifications of the authors? 1 14 Mar 31, 2018 08:26AM

• Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss
  • The New James Beard
  • The Big Book of Casseroles: 250 Recipes for Serious Comfort Food
  • The Story of You (And How to Create a New One)
  • Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life--And How You Can Get Back on Track
  • Well Nourished: A Guide to Mindful Eating, Inner Nourishment and Feeding Your Whole Self
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker
  • Keto: The Complete Guide to Success on The Ketogenic Diet, including Simplified Science and No-cook Meal Plans
  • Quantum Wellness Cleanse: The 21-Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Mind, Body and Spirit
  • Eat the Yolks
  • The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking: 80 Low-Carb Recipes that Offer Solutions for Celiac Disease, Diabetes, and Weight Loss
  • Crumb: The Baking Book
  • Superlife
  • The Antianxiety Food Solution: How the Foods You Eat Can Help You Calm Your Anxious Mind, Improve Your Mood, and End Cravings
  • Hungarian Cookbook: Old World Recipes for New World Cooks, Expanded Edition
  • Simply Delicious Amish Cooking: Recipes and stories from the Amish of Sarasota, Florida
  • Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life
  • The Chili Cookbook: From Three-Bean to Four-Alarm, Con Carne to Vegetarian, Cookoff-Worthy Recipes for the One-Pot Classic
“What they found was striking: higher levels of the inactive form of IRS-1 (signifying impaired insulin signaling in the brain) predicted Alzheimer’s disease development in patients with 100 percent accuracy.20 Even more breathtaking, the difference in these blood markers was evident ten years prior to the emergence of symptoms. This suggests that maintaining the brain’s insulin sensitivity throughout life may be a major step toward preventing the disease.” 0 likes
“alone.” 0 likes