Start by marking “The Problem of Susan and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Problem of Susan and Other Stories

The Problem of Susan and Other Stories

From Hugo, Eisner, Newbery, Harvey, Bram Stoker, Locus, World Fantasy, and Nebula award-winning author Neil Gaiman and P. Craig Russell (The Sandman, The Giver), Scott Hampton (American Gods), and Paul Chadwick (Concrete) comes a graphic novel adaptation of the short stories and poems: The Problem of Susan, October in the Chair, Locks, and The Day the Saucers Came.

Two
Published February 12th 2019 by Dark Horse Books (first published January 23rd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Problem of Susan and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Problem of Susan and Other Stories

Start your review of The Problem of Susan and Other Stories
Chad
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: hoopla, 2019
These are some pretty blase translations of Gaiman's short stories and poems. The art doesn't really add much of anything. But I'm sure these sell well for Dark Horse given Gaiman's rapid fan base and P. Craig Russell seems determined to translate every work of Gaiman's into comic book form.
Rod Brown
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dark Horse keeps pumping out these lifeless adaptations of Neil Gaiman's short stories. I keep checking them out from the library despite rarely enjoying them very much.

I feel we're caught in a cycle of mutual assured boredom...
Cale
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I was familiar with most of these stories and poems from other places, so this is more a rating of the artists' artwork in retelling them. I'd consider 'The Day the Saucers Came' the high point, with Paul Chadwick's artwork exploding the poem into a larger sense of scale. And Scott Hampton's style adds a bit of extra flavor to October in the Chair. I was less impressed with the presentation of Russell's work on Locks and The Problem of Susan - the art is fine but doesn't really expand the story ...more
Vintagebooklvr
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
Like the author, I always had a problem with how Susan was dealt with at the end of the Narnia books. Just because she began to like makeup and perhaps want a normal life didn't mean she had given up her faith or that she couldn't find it again. She had been disappointed in Narnia: what would it be like to grow up to adulthood in Narnia, think about making the correct political marriage for its citizens, maybe falling in love, and then going back to a young adult during a war. That couldn't have ...more
Stewart Tame
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Does the world really need another comics adaptation of Neil Gaiman stories? As long as we're talking talent on the level of P. Craig Russell, Scott Hampton, and Paul Chadwick, that answer is always going to be “Yes.” The day will come when everything Gaiman has ever written--even his early journalism. And the Duran Duran biography--will be available in comics form. And what then? Dark Horse will be on the phone. “Come on, Neil! Help us out. We’ve got top notch artists ready and waiting. Even a ...more
Newly Wardell
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel like I'm missing something. I was not interested in this story. The art didn't save it and maybe it wasn't trying to. I wasn't impressed again. Just not my cuppa
Trevor
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This collection adapts four Neil Gaiman stories, all of which are about stories, how we tell them, and how we respond to them. My favourite was "October in the Chair," but for this review I'm going to focus on the title story.

In The Last Battle, C.S. Lewis includes a few lines about Susan that have caused a fair amount of controversy:
"Sir," said Tirian, when he had greeted all these. "If I have read the chronicles aright, there should be another. Has not your Majesty two sisters? Where is Queen
Alicia Marie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful illustrations. I love the Narnia books, and I thought expanding on Susan, as Neil Gaiman did was actually clever. It was surprising the twist he took between Aslan and the Witch, and honestly I’m not sure what to think of it. All I could think of was ‘what would C.S Lewis have responded with?’ But that’s the beauty of stories, they can be anything at all.

Reading the second to last story in the book was actually a pleasant surprise. I had heard the October In the Chair story such a
Otherwyrld
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely collection of stories, enlivened by outstanding art work.
Dakota Morgan
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Featuring a pair of Neil Gaiman's lesser short stories, as well as some back-up poems, The Problem of Susan feels extremely slight. The titular story is underwhelming unless you have a deep attachment to Narnia. Only "October in the Chair" feels unique and fascinating. I'd read a longer version of that story any day, perhaps giving each month the opportunity to weave a tale. The illustrated poems are skippable. P. Craig Russell's artwork, as always, is expertly matched to Gaiman's words, ...more
Jamie Connolly
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
What in the world was that bullshit? This comic SUCKED! I’ve read every book and graphic novel Neil Gaiman has ever published and I gotta say, this sucks just as bad as all his other stupid graphic novella anthologies that he’s written. They are garbage cash grabs and a waste of money. He’s turning into James Patterson(who as we all know is the devil). Except for murder mysteries, don’t bother with any of gaimans graphic shorts. Oh and a study in emerald. That was a good one.
Ain Ashura
Fiction State Of Mind
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
These gorgeously illustrated stories and poems showcase Neil Gaiman's story telling with some gifted artists. The stories have influences from The Lion Witch & The Wardrobe, ghost stories and interesting poems. A really interesting collection.

Coyer Scavenger Hunt
Read a Book With a Talking Animal- 3 pts
Mainon
The title story is a sly critique of the end of The Chronicles of Narnia. The remaining stories are slightly uneven but overall very good.
Rebecca
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
October in the Chair is the best of these, the others are fine, but as a whole the collection isn't very exciting.
Jonathan Hansen
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The Problem of Susan" is an incredibly hard-hitting criticism of Lewis' allegory of Susan as the apostate. Gaiman uses a surreal ending dream sequence to bounce the story out of its well earned melancholy and into something more sinister.

The other two stories included, "Goldilocks" and "October in the Chair", are a pure joy. They both extoll the virtue of telling stories to ourselves and to each other.
Pop Bop
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Second-Level Gaiman

I very much admire and enjoy pure Gaiman novels like "Neverwhere", "Stardust", and "The Graveyard Book", and appreciate many, if not most, of his short stories. The "Sandman" series is a remarkable achievement. That said, Gaiman seems to be more and more willing to just sign off on graphic adaptations that are remarkably uneven in quality and appeal. The fact that something is "From" a Gaiman novel, story, or poem, is not necessarily a guarantee of anything, especially when
Tamara✨
I had been meaning to read this short by ol’ Neilman for AGES and then when I saw this graphic novel in the Barbican library in London, I decided I would sit and read it there and then. I never read the Narnia books as a kid because my mum started with The Magician’s Nephew, which was probably a bad idea because it’s the most boring of the lot (if you ask me). So I read them while in High School and was so charmed by the stories, and how simple but rich they were. BUT!! SUSAN!!! I WAS SO MAD ...more
Tim
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical
A colourful splash of Gaiman short stories.

The titular problem is why was C S Lewis such a bastard to Susan from the Narnia tales. What faux purity was he thinking of? All four children had lived (and how!), and killed (such great battles), for years in Narnia before returning to soggy war-torn 1940's England. The covenant depicted here between the Lion and the White Witch is fitting.

"Locks" is Goldilocks and the three bears, and how bed-time stories can pack a lot of layers into well known
Dan
Neil Gaiman has been doing prose so long, I keep forgetting he writes for comics. This story collection reinforces how readily visual his prose is. I remember reading a short story of his in some "erotic horror" collection and was impressed at how vivid the writing was. I can't recall the story or the plot, but it reaffirmed what a quality storyteller he was.
This collection has all that I love: classic comic artists and weird stories with sexy bits and graphic violence. It makes me want to read
Nadina
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I read this hoping for some resolution for Susan, and at the beginning I felt there might be, but then "The Problem of Susan" turned into this bizarre mess with Aslan and the witch and it disappointed me.
With "Locks" I was just confused, the whole thing seemed a bit of a mess and I was really confused as to the characters and plot and what even was going on.
"October in the chair" was just generally sad. Though at the same time again, a little disappointing, a little confusing.
"The day the
Zachary Henez
This is the latest comic adaptation of Neil Gaiman's short stories and poems (two short stories and two poems). The problem with susan is the first short story and is Neil Gaiman's commentary on what many people have issues with in CS Lewis' the last battle. Locks is next and was my least favorite of the four in this collection. October in the Chair has always been one of my favorite short stories and the day the saucers came is a nice way to wrap this up. Worth a read for any fan of Neil ...more
Jon
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t know what brought me to buy this book without checking it out first, but what a happy surprise. I knew it contained one of my favorite Gaiman stories (the titular one), but was happy to discover it also featured my favorite poem of his, The Day the Saucers Came. What I didn’t expect to find was a new favorite! October in the Chair was totally new to me, having never encountered it before, and I have to say that the whole concept was amazing. I loved the idea of the months gathering like ...more
Esutterlin
3 star review strictly personal, not thorough, since I Did not finish reading the book. I just skimmed through parts of 2 of these ADULT fantasy graphic novel anthology, presenting four adaptations of the Goldilocks fairytale.

I'm Entering this review to add to my Graphic novels recommendation list for teens or adults who are considering entering the library's graphic novel contest. 77 pages total, but two of the stories are much shorter than the others, and Show how much can be conveyed in just
junia
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kewl

Pretty pictures and I like that they bring a different dimension to the words .. but I prefer to imagine them myself. The Problem of Susan is a rather sad story. I've written about Gaiman's spirituality before, and yeah, it just makes me sad that he doesn't see the full picture of Susan. Although props for that whole story.

Anyway a 3 because... I'm just sick of him recycling everything. :/
Mikael
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stephanie R
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
So it was hard to decide on a star rating for this book because the were 4 parts, and I didn't enjoy all of them (especially the artwork), but parts I really liked. I probably rated it higher than I might usually have because I enjoy Neil Gaiman so much. Since if the artwork just wasn't for me.
Owen
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful adaptation of four of Neil Gaiman's short works. P Craig Russell does his usual phenomenal job, but it was fantastic seeing Paul Chadwick & Scott Hampton putting out such beauty as well. I had forgotten how much I love their work until I saw it in this collection.
Jesse Richards
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The third story in this 4-story collection is phenomenal, and the last is a nice bit of fun. But the first two, even though they feature Russell's mind-blowing art, didn't do it for me. Confusing allegories referencing unclear things and jumping around randomly.
Anna
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book, while full of some interesting short stories, may have been better as a book than a graphic novel. The artwork was beautiful, but I think some aspects of the stories were confusing without more written description or clarification.

• The Dreaming Vol. 1: Pathways and Emanations (the Sandman Universe)
  • Giraffes on Horseback Salad: Salvador Dali, the Marx Brothers, and the Strangest Movie Never Made
  • The Quantum Age, Vol. 1
  • November Volume I
  • Books of Magic Vol. 1: Moveable Type (the Sandman Universe)
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Sleepless, Vol. 2
  • Bad Weekend
  • Batman: Damned
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Lucifer Vol. 1: The Infernal Comedy (the Sandman Universe)
  • Is This How You See Me?
  • Plastic Man
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 3: Age of Doom Part One
  • House of Whispers Vol. 1: The Power Divided (the Sandman Universe)
  • Basquiat