Start by marking “The Grace Kelly Dress” as Want to Read:

The Grace Kelly Dress

Two years after Grace Kelly’s royal wedding, her iconic dress is still all the rage in Paris—and one replica, and the secrets it carries, will inspire three generations of women to forge their own paths in life and in love in this beguiling new novel from Brenda Janowitz.

“Exactly the type of book I love: charming, smart, and brimming with heart.”—EMILY GIFFIN, #1 New York
Published March 3rd 2020 by Graydon House Books

To ask other readers questions about The Grace Kelly Dress, please sign up.
Barbara Young Never mind. It completely escaped me that Joan's mother Birdie was Rose. …moreNever mind. It completely escaped me that Joan's mother Birdie was Rose. (less)
Alicia I would love to know the answer as well! The author does not reveal who Joanie's husband is but I really want to know. Rocky and Jesse were kind of si…moreI would love to know the answer as well! The author does not reveal who Joanie's husband is but I really want to know. Rocky and Jesse were kind of similar in their edgy style so it could make sense that he is her dad but I don't know!!(less)

Start your review of The Grace Kelly Dress
Katie B

Maybe other readers will disagree but I was hoping for a little more heart to the story. I did enjoy the book especially the seamstress parts of the story, but emotionally it fell kinda flat. I feel like this had the potential to be a teary-eyed type of story but I didn't quite get there.

Rocky is super successful in the tech world and is engaged to be married. A Grace Kelly inspired wedding dress has been worn by other women in her family and now it's Rocky's turn to wear the gown. The
Erin
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Three generations of women, from different periods of time and their connection to a heirloom wedding dress that was inspired by Princess Grace of Monaco. As each woman tries to be her true self, there are struggles of the heart and the family. We have dressmaker, Rose in 1958 Paris, daughter Joanie in 1982 and granddaughter, Rachel (Rocky) in 2020 who all alternate chapters in telling the story from their perspectives.

I felt that each of the three characters had a strong voice that made their
Berit☀️✨
A sweet, sentimental, multi generational tale. Brenda Janowitz’s storytelling completely swept me up in this enchanting story. Three generations of women connected buy this stunning wedding gown. Rose a Paris seamstress in the late 1950s, Joan a young proper college student in 1982, and her daughter Rocky A rebellious techie in 2020. Each woman had their own voice and their own story to tell. The story jumps around between these three women in short well crafted chapters. I was completely and e ...more
Suzy
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Grace Kelly Dress is a charming, multi-generational winner that I just loved!

The story focuses around three generations of women who are all tied together by a dress that was inspired by Grace Kelly’s wedding gown. Rose, Joan and Rocky - all brides in different eras - each have their own style and the thoughts on how they want the dress to look for each of their weddings. These women are all totally different in personality and style, so it was fun to read each of their sto
Theresa Alan
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Janowitz writes a novel told by three different women in three different periods of history. That is not easy to do, but she masterfully keeps the story moving by making the chapters short and the pacing spot on.

The story revolves around a bridal gown that three different women wore and passed down to her daughter. Each generation wants to make alterations to the dress, which was originally modeled to look like Grace Kelly’s wedding dress. In 1982, Joan wants to have puffy sleeves like Princess
Tina
A delightfully charming book steeped in tradition! The perfect book for these trying times.

I listened to this as an Audio. The narrator was fantastic and the story writing beautiful.

It is a story with three time lines. The Bride, The mother of the Bride as a Bride, and The Seamstress. The story of a bridal dress that was inspired by Grace Kelly when she married Prince Rainier of Monaco in 1956. The dress was all the rage and every lady in Paris was looking to re-create the look.

This is the story
Susan
What a Girl Wants

Choosing a wedding dress is an undeniable highlight of wedding planning for most women.

Unfortunately, Rocky won’t be able to participate in that time honored tradition because her dress has been thrust upon her by her mother. Worn by two generations in her family, her grandmother and her mother, it’s now Rocky’s turn. However, the dress doesn’t suit her but she can’t bring herself to rock the boat.

The dress was the epitome of fashion worn by movie star Grace Kelly at her nuptia
Jamie Rosenblit
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Where are my dual timeline historical fiction fans at? Personally for me, I love a historical novel that breaks up the past with a present day narrative and theorizing how the two timelines come together is one of my favorite things to do with these novels. Well, Janowitz ups the ante in The Grace Kelly Dress with a TRIPLE narrative - and it pays off.

The Grace Kelly Dress is set in 1958, the 1980s & 2020 - each time period focusing on a wedding, a family and of course, a wedding dress. Janowitz
Zoe
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sentimental, heartfelt, and enchanting!

The Grace Kelly Dress is a sweet, captivating tale that takes you on a journey into the lives of three main characters. Rose, a young Paris seamstress employed by the esteemed Madame Michel in the late 1950s to handcraft dresses fashioned after the one worn by Princess Grace; Joan, a college student at NYCU in the 1980s who is struggling with the loss of her sister and a new engagement; and Rocky, an independent, tech CEO whose modern-day, upcoming nuptials
TXGAL1
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
THE GRACE KELLY DRESS, by Brenda Janowitz, was a quick and enjoyable read. This was accomplished by the short, alternating chapters and the flow of the writing.

The “dress” was the main character in this story which revolved around the lives of three generations of women: Rocky in 2020, Joan, as Rocky’s mother as a bride herself in 1982, and Rose, a seamstress in 1958 Paris.

Chapter 1 began with Rocky’s upcoming nuptials and the ensuing wedding planning, followed by Joan’s life during her engageme
Lisa Leone-campbell
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written tender love story about three women each a generation apart, one wedding dress and their stories of how they ended up with this iconic Grace Kelly wedding dress.

Rose is a timid French seamstress who reluctantly agrees to make a wedding dress for a well-to-do woman whose only request is that it resemble the wedding dress of Grace Kelly. Very young and naive, as Rose creates the dress she begins to develop feelings for the woman's brother who himself is getting ready to wed.
Anna
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paris 1958, Rose is an apprentice at an infamous atelier known for creating beautiful wedding dresses. Brides are still infatuated with Grace Kelly's wedding dress, wanting something similar for their walk down the isle. Rose is entrusted with designing the gown of a wealthy client, determined to make a truly memorable gown. What she doesn't expect is to become infatuated with the bride's brother. Knowing the risks she resists her feelings, not wanting to cause a scandal for the atelier.
As the g
DeB MaRtEnS
4.5 stars My mother hated sewing, and when I wanted to make doll clothes she handed me Speed Sew. In a little school, at the age of twelve, my first real sewing project was a box pleat skirt with an inset zipper- all done by hand. Sewing machines, patterns, more hand stitching followed- oh, the joy- and I’ve loved fabric, clothing, fashion, decorating- ever since. So- “The Grace Kelly Dress” was going to be a winner for me, because it was about dresses - I was a fan before I opened the book.

The
Stefanie
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful book.

The Grace Kelly Dress is a dual (actually triple) timeline story about a wedding gown that spans three generations of women.

Told from the perspectives of a mother and her daughter and the seamstress that crafted the dress, this novel takes you on a journey about the importance of family, friends, and true love.

I truly connected with each character in this book, which is a rarity for me. I loved Rocky’s edginess and her need to be uniquely her. I loved Joanie’s personality a
Pam Jenoff
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Grace Kelly Dress by Brenda Janowitz. This smart, funny, heartfelt book tells of a replica of Grace Kelly's wedding dress made in 1950s Paris and the love stories that surround it when it is made, sixty years later and in the generations in between. ...more
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
A historical novel seeded in traditions, family, love and the history of one particular dress that brings them all together.

I'm not quite sure I'm the exact right reader for this novel as we don't have a lot of traditions within my family and I've never been married. A lot of this didn't really resonate with me. But what I can relate to is the trying on of a dress and the intricacies of the mother/daughter dynamic. My mother and I took a long time for us to understand each other and my favorite
Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks)
From the stunning cover to the beautiful story inside, I devoured this book! The Grace Kelly Dress is about so much more than a dress...the love of family that is passed from generation to generation. Love, love this book!
Marilyn
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Grace Kelly Dress by Brenda Janowitz was just the type of book I was looking to read during these trying and unprecedented times. I was looking for a book that would be uplifting, one that I could easily get lost in the story and feel lots of varied emotions. This heartfelt and beautiful novel gave me everything I was looking for. It touched upon the importance of family and friends upmost but there were elements of love both new and old and love that was rediscovered in more meaningful ways ...more
Lorilin
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, arc
In 1956, Grace Kelly fulfills every Disney dream imaginable and marries her real-life prince in a grand and luxurious wedding. Her elegant four-piece wedding gown becomes an instant inspiration to millions of brides around the world, and seamstresses are inundated with requests for wedding dresses in the gown’s likeness.

gracekellyweddingdress

Two years later, Rose, an atelier in a small but renowned Parisian bridal shop, works with a young bride who has requested a dress very similar to Grace Kelly’s but with a modern
Melissa
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only other book I've read by Brenda Janowitz was about a dysfunctional family having a Passover Seder. So I did not know what to expect from The Grace Kelly Dress, but I really enjoyed it and definitely need to go back and read more from this author.

The Grace Kelly Dress is a sweet story about different generations of women and the dress that connects them. I liked all three women (I couldn't even choose a favorite) and how their situations were timely, but also relatable. Sometimes their s
Jypsy
Aug 20, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley and Graydon House for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

By: Brenda Janowitz

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
The Grace Kelly Dress was an elegant and lovely story. Three women in three different eras share a connection through the Grace Kelly wedding dress. I've always thought about objects and their memories. If the dress could speak, what would it say? Imagine the places, faces, drama, gossip and such the dress has bee
Gayle Tennant
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wouldn't normally be a book I chose to read but the title caught my attention as I'm a Grace Kelly fan. I enjoyed the three generations of women as they each love and live their lives . The Grace Kelly copied wedding dress being the central theme. Its a light read for these times but has some themes we can appreciate. ...more
Pam
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute. Light weight. Was just ok for me. I loved the author’s The Dinner Party so had high hopes. The book focuses on three women and one of the stories felt very incomplete to me like it was wrapped up quickly because Book was almost over. Overall kind of a let down.
eyes.2c
Traditions and love!

A story of traditions, of precious things passed down. In this instance a wedding dress modeled on Grace Kelly's.
As the story weaves between the woman who designed the dress, the French
grandmere, the current mother of the bride, and the bride, strands of what it is to love, loss, standing your ground, knowing when to say no, familia relations, the fifties, the seventies and the now are braided to get her with loving care.
There's Rose, the seamstress in the Parisian xx, Joani
Carleen
Mar 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was more like a YA novel than an adult book. The characters and writing were simplistic and the chapters were just 2-3 pages. This was my first book by this author and I definitely won’t be reading any more of her stories.
Joan Nehls
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was expecting a historical fiction but didn’t get one. Characters and storyline felt flat.
Cyndi Becker
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this story to be very enjoyable and a delight to read. The story explores the relationships between three generations of women and their relationship with a dress created in Paris as an ode to the unforgettable wedding gown worn by Grace Kelly.

The story begins with and focuses on, Rocky, daughter of Joanie and granddaughter of Rose. We see them as they experience and reason through their romantic entanglements, and their paths to wedded bliss. With each woman, we follow along as they re-
Wendy'sThoughts
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brenda Janowitz Fans, Women's Lit
3.5 Mothers and Daughters Stars
* * * 1/2 Spoiler Free A Quick Review
I happen to appreciate a story that spans generations when in the mood. This book fulfilled that need for me. It is a telling of family, beliefs and the ever-challenging relationships between mothers and daughters.

A gifted copy was provided by author/publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.
For more Reviews, Free E-books and Giveaways
Lori Spielman
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this clever, touching novel, where three generations of women share one common denominator: the Grace Kelly Dress. Brenda Janowitz weaves a romantic, heartfelt tale that will leave you smiling. I highly recommend!
Carla Johnson-Hicks
The Grace Kelly Dress revolves around a bridal gown that three different women wore and passed down to her daughter. The story is told in three different timelines, narrated by the different women. It tells their stories and connections they have to the dress. It was originally designed to look like Grace Kelly'e wedding dress, but each wearer makes their own changes based on personal likes.

Rose is a French seamstress who agrees to design and make a wedding dress for a well-to-do woman whose onl
A Mighty Blaze podcast 1 4 Apr 06, 2020 08:25AM

• The Other Mrs. Miller
  • The Dutch House
  • No Bad Deed
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Show Your Anxiety Who's Boss: A Three-Step CBT Program to Help You Reduce Anxious Thoughts and Worry
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • The Wedding Dress Christmas (The Wedding Collection)
  • Inland
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • A False Report: A True Story of Rape in America
  • Trace Elements (A Commissario Guido Brunetti #29)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Dating Charade
  • Burning Island
  • The Unbreakables
  • The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
Brenda is the author of six novels, including THE GRACE KELLY DRESS, which was published by Harper Collins/ Graydon House in March 2020. Her work has also appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Sunday Times (UK), Salon, Redbook, USA Today, Bustle, The Forward, the New York Post, Publisher’s Weekly, Hello Giggles, Writer’s Digest Magazine, WritersDigest.com, and xojane. She is the ...more