Start by marking “The Grace Kelly Dress” as Want to Read:
The Grace Kelly Dress

The Grace Kelly Dress

Two years after Grace Kelly’s royal wedding, her iconic dress is still all the rage in Paris—and one replica, and the secrets it carries, will inspire three generations of women to forge their own paths in life and in love in this beguiling new novel from Brenda Janowitz.

“Exactly the type of book I love: charming, smart, and brimming with heart.”—EMILY GIFFIN, #1 New York
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Graydon House Books

Start your review of The Grace Kelly Dress
Katie B

Maybe other readers will disagree but I was hoping for a little more heart to the story. I did enjoy the book especially the seamstress parts of the story, but emotionally it fell kinda flat. I feel like this had the potential to be a teary-eyed type of story but I didn't quite get there.

Rocky is super successful in the tech world and is engaged to be married. A Grace Kelly inspired wedding dress has been worn by other women in her family and now it's Rocky's turn to wear the gown. The
Theresa Alan
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Janowitz writes a novel told by three different women in three different periods of history. That is not easy to do, but she masterfully keeps the story moving by making the chapters short and the pacing spot on.

The story revolves around a bridal gown that three different women wore and passed down to her daughter. Each generation wants to make alterations to the dress, which was originally modeled to look like Grace Kelly’s wedding dress. In 1982, Joan wants to have puffy sleeves like Princess
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where are my dual timeline historical fiction fans at? Personally for me, I love a historical novel that breaks up the past with a present day narrative and theorizing how the two timelines come together is one of my favorite things to do with these novels. Well, Janowitz ups the ante in The Grace Kelly Dress with a TRIPLE narrative - and it pays off.

The Grace Kelly Dress is set in 1958, the 1980s & 2020 - each time period focusing on a wedding, a family and of course, a wedding dress.
Megan
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Grace Kelly Dress by Brenda Janowitz follows three generations of women and a dress inspired by the iconic wedding dress of Grace Kelly. This is a charming and heartwarming story; it moves seamlessly between the lives of a grandmother, mother and daughter. Each woman has a captivating and unique voice but I enjoyed that the three women had the same spirit. While their love stories were all different, the wedding dress has a clear impact on all of their lives. The author handled three ...more
Meghan
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from HARLEQUIN - Graydon House Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was mesmerized by this book of the magic and history Brenda Janowitz incorporated throughout this book with the stories of Rose and Rachel. All of the plots had to do with love and the conflict that comes with it all because they want to recreate the magic that was once Grace Kelly's wedding dress. I was speechless and
Pam
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute. Light weight. Was just ok for me. I loved the author’s The Dinner Party so had high hopes. The book focuses on three women and one of the stories felt very incomplete to me like it was wrapped up quickly because Book was almost over. Overall kind of a let down.
Sue
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This beautifully written novel is about a wedding dress and three generations of women who wore it. It's a story about tradition versus individuality all reflected through the wedding dress and the three women who wore it.

Paris, 1958. Rose is a seamstress at a popular shop where the elite have their wedding dresses made. The wedding dress that Grace Kelly wore several years earlier is still very popular and many women want a wedding dress just like hers. Due to an unforeseen circumstance, Rose
Michelle
Three women, of three different generations are tied together in this story by a wedding dress.

Rose made the wedding dress, it was inspired by Grace Kelly’s wedding dress.

Joanie wore the dress in the 1980’s. The dress was her mother’s wedding dress.

I’m 2020, Rachel AKA “Rocky” is to wear the wedding dress. She doesn’t like the dress. She respects the tradition and she doesn’t want to hurt her mother or grandmother’s feelings but she does not like the dress.

Each of the woman’s story is told.
Rachel McRady
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a longtime fan of Brenda’s work, I can confidently say this is her best book to date. I was lucky enough to score an advanced copy and can’t wait to share this book with my friends and family. It is a triumph for Women’s Fiction. The way she effortlessly weaves the three storylines together, giving each leading lady her due, is truly remarkable. I cared about each of the main characters equally and loved where their stories took them. In my busy day I rarely get time to read much but I made ...more
Heather Webb
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Being a Grace Kelly fan myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this beautifully rendered tale of family, legacy, and love. Janowitz expertly weaves together three narratives with a compelling cast of women, and I cared deeply for them all. I can't help but be a sucker for historical threads so Rose was a favorite, but I enjoyed Rocky's spunk, and was endeared to Joan and her struggles with a life-long secret. Well-paced and satisfying, THE GRACE KELLY DRESS is a wonderful read.
Natalie
I was of two minds about the book. Some of it was decent reading, but it seemed like Janowitz used some bizarre formula to pull it together. Facts changed, stereotypes were followed and then others were reversed. Let’s call the bride Rocky and her flirty, girly sister who is a lesbian, Amanda.

The story of 3 women and the beautiful gown they wore was just very bungled. Rose, the little seamstress grew up as an orphan in 1940’s Paris, but Janowitz fails to mention WW II, which might help us
Falguni Kothari
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three generations of women linked together by one wedding gown - a dress that is styled to emulate the famous wedding gowns of princesses.
The Grace Kelly Dress does a wonderful job of showing us what brides go through in the months leading up to their wedding. How sometimes heirlooms are more like albatrosses. And how the meaning of love changes from person to person and time to time.
Janet
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing "cool" to do but reading sitting in front of the a/c as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader. (Yes it is hot and humid in Canada!)

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Two years after
joyce w. laudon
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Grace Kelly dress is, of course, inspired by the beautiful wedding gown that Grace Kelly wore although this story is not about Grace Kelly. Rather, it is about three women and one wedding dress that was inspired by the one worn by Princess Grace.

Rose's story begins in the 1950s in Paris. Rosee is an orphan who works in an atelier as a seamstress. The very talented Rose makes a wedding dress for the lovely Diana and, while doing so, they become friends despite the class barriers. Rose is
Taffy
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Opening line:
"She hated the dress."

Rocky, Joan and Rose all share a couple of things in common: a wedding dress and family. But all is not as it seems with each person and how they come to grips with what they want in their lives and what they think their mothers or mentors want of them, including the wedding dress.
Rose is a successful seamstress in Paris in 1958 who falls in love with the wrong man. I really, really wanted this story to finish with who she marries and where they live, etc.
Jessie May
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I love reading historical fiction, particularly about famous royal women such as Grace Kelly, so I had high hopes for this book. Unfortunately, I was left with mixed feelings after reading.

What I liked:
I enjoyed the split timelines focusing on the three generations of women who would wear the wedding dress. Rocky's story was my favorite and I enjoyed Rose's, but Joanie's fell a bit flat for me. It was fun to read about each woman as they planned their wedding, or in Rose's case made the
Carolyn
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Grace Kelly Dress by Brenda Janowitz is thoughtful, well written novel which follows the history of one particular wedding dress, from its creation to its third wearing by the granddaughter of its original owner. Told in three voices, by the dressmaker who made it for a society woman in the style of Grace Kelly's wedding gown, by the second wearer of the dress who had it altered to add Princess Diana sleeves, and by the third wearer, who doesn't want to wear it all, it's an engrossing story ...more
Linda Stasi
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Got an advance copy, and loved every sentence of this book. Brenda Janowitz is one of those writers who puts you square in the middle of every scene in every locale and inside the mores of each time and place. In this one it's 2020 Brooklyn, 1958 Paris and 1982 Long Island with three generations of women and one dress: The so-called Grace Kelly wedding dress.
The wedding dress, like the three generations of women whose lives were impacted by both its creation and its history, is woven layer by
Janine
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brenda Janowitz has another winner on her hands. This is the story of an iconic dress passed down through three generations. She highlights the time period and depicts love in it’s various stages. The characters and their stories come to life and she keeps you turning the pages as you become completely immersed in their lives. She also had me thinking about my own family heirlooms and their importance. Great job! I thoroughly enjoyed it! #TheGraceKellyDress #BrendaJanowitz #NetGalley
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christine Moore
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about 3 different women all tied together by a replica wedding dress of Grace Kelly's. It was a very enjoyable and fast read and I loved how all three stories were tied together. All 3 women went through their own issues as planning a wedding never goes smoothly. I loved the characters and it was great way to spend a day cuddled under a warm blanket with a good book! I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
Ellen
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Three generations will wear a dress originally made in a small atelier in Paris. Rose, her daughter Joanie, and granddaughter Rocky will all fave losses and challenges in their lives, altering the dress just enough to fit their personalities. The tradition of an heirloom and its meaning for this family is at the basis of the story. The book was just okay for me. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC
Sharon Naylor Toris
Lovely. I'm a fan of multiple timelines that carry you through different characters' experiences and values, all connected by a single item or ideal. I did find one of the storylines to be just a bit shy of the others', but I have no complaints here! A sweet story that sings along wonderfully. Very visual and very charming.
Katelyn Zingg
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
8/10. This was really lovely, and I immediately spent half an hour Googling Grace Kelly's wedding dress (and then comparing it with Kate Middleton's). The author did a great job keeping all the secrets of who ends up with who, as well as dealing with family dynamics and grief. I feel like this gave me more confidence in asserting what I want for my own wedding someday.
Minerva Conrad
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
If I had to read one more time that she didn’t want to wear the dress......the book was too stilted and read like a teen book.
Whitney
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice easy read that I enjoyed. I liked following the three generations of woman that have worn the dress and the unfolding of their love story and how the dress connects them all .
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Loved the mother/daughter relationships and the emphasis on traditions. And the different time periods. Didn’t love Rocky. Like the romance.
Alyson Goodman
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Brenda Janowitz's The Grace Kelly Dress is a great multigenerational story. The story follows the lives of Rocky in 2020, her mother Joanie in 1982 and her grandmother in 1958, and how they are all connected to one wedding dress, a replica of the dress Grace Kelly wore. It was a very sweet story with some history mixed in, and the family dynamics made it hard to put down!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a digital ARC.

• Meg and Jo
  • The Light After the War
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • The Girl in White Gloves
  • Pretty Guilty Women
  • On the Corner of Love and Hate (Hopeless Romantics, #1)
  • The Red Lotus
  • Minor Dramas & Other Catastrophes
  • Glass Slippers, Ever After, and Me
  • Writers & Lovers
  • Cartier's Hope
  • Vacation
Brenda is the author of five novels and the Books Correspondent for PopSugar. Her sixth novel, THE GRACE KELLY DRESS, will be published by Harper Collins/ Graydon House in March 2020. Her work has also appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, Salon, Redbook, USA Today, Bustle, The Forward, the New York Post, Publisher’s Weekly, Hello Giggles, Writer’s Digest Magazine, ...more