Jump to ratings and reviews

The Pedagogy of Pathologization: Dis/Abled Girls of Color in the School-Prison Nexus

Linking powerful first-person narratives with structural analysis, The Pedagogy of Pathologization explores the construction of criminal identities in schools via the intersections of race, disability, and gender. amid the prevalence of targeted mass incarceration. Focusing uniquely on the pathologization of female students of color, whose voices are frequently engulfed by labels of deviance and disability, a distinct and underrepresented experience of the school-to-prison pipeline is detailed through original qualitative methods rooted in authentic narratives. The book's DisCrit framework, grounded in interdisciplinary research, draws on scholarship from critical race theory, disability studies, education, women's and girl's studies, legal studies, and more.

200 pages, ebook

7 books4 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (3%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews
Profile Image for tiffany.
100 reviews13 followers
August 25, 2020
annamma does a fantastic job of weaving empirical research with both the personal narratives of 10 dis/abled girls of color in the prison nexus and her own life story. it sifts through the complex intersections of race, gender, and disability within education and the school-to-prison pipeline and offers a clear, compelling perspective on the ways that institutions and schools are failing young, dis/abled girls of color.
Profile Image for Beck Sanchez.
15 reviews
January 25, 2023

I want to start by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed the firsthand narratives from the girls in the author's case study - by the end of this book I felt so much warmth for them & I felt how crucial this book was in making it so their voices didn't continue to be suppressed (at least to the extent they were before they were immortalized through this publication). That itself is disruptive and makes this book very powerful and important. The descriptions of the juvenile justice system & prison industrial complex that the girls found themselves enmeshed in were also very profound and jarring - something I very likely won't forget for a long time.

I really wanted to enjoy this book more than I did - I think the biggest issue I had was how the flow of the book was continuously disrupted with citations (which yes are necessary but I wondered if they could've been put into it in a different way) and how I felt like I was over and over again reading the author's commentary/reiterations of the girls' statements which in my opinion could hold their own ground. By the end of the book I'd read the word "divestment" and "multiply-marginalized dis/abled girls of color" so many times that it's now in my just-right OCD worst words mental category. I think there's an extent of stating phrases where it can become watered down enough to where the brain just skips over it and by then the intention of it (to disrupt the reader for a bit to consider the meaning of dis/abled) is not effective.
Profile Image for Z.
38 reviews1 follower
January 21, 2021
Annamma's text is rich, provocative, and important. The idea that multiply-marginalized girls of color are made criminal, and that schooling is itself a part of the criminalizing process (what Annamma describes as a pedagogy of pathologization) is sharp, and her ability to elucidate the myriad ways the U.S. invests in prisons and criminalization through these girls is both heart-wrenching and necessary for us to grapple with. I truly believe all educators should read this book, as well as people who care about education, schools, and schooling.
October 13, 2021
Annamma approaches this literary research from an intimate perspective that teaches Dis-/Crit but also fosters empathy for the four girls. By viewing the girls as co-constructors of knowledge, she is able to illuminate their strengths and teach us from their skills developed in the juvenile justice education system. It takes a poststructural perspective to race, disability, marginalization and intersectionality by situating these themes within lived experiences. 5/5 if you want to feel challenged, angry, despair at the system, and possibly - hope for better!
Profile Image for Mo.
604 reviews15 followers
April 2, 2018
This an excellent book. Though it has an academic publisher and academic-sounding title, it reads like good non-fiction. That's partially because Subini Ancy Annamma is a wonderful writer and partly because the practical framework is an in-depth, two-year, qualitative study with ten incarcerated, disabled girls of color, so it's a study that lends itself to a strong narrative. It's a painful subject, but I absolutely love the connections Dr. Annamma makes and the ways she makes them.
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.