Start by marking “Space Unicorn Blues (Reason, #1)” as Want to Read:
Space Unicorn Blues (Reason, #1)

Space Unicorn Blues

(Reason #1)

A misfit crew race across the galaxy to prevent the genocide of magical creatures, in this unique science fiction debut.

Having magical powers makes you less than human, a resource to be exploited. Half-unicorn Gary Cobalt is sick of slavery, captivity, and his horn being ground down to power faster-than-light travel. When he's finally free, all he wants is to run away in
Published July 3rd 2018 by Angry Robot

Start your review of Space Unicorn Blues (Reason, #1)
Minx
True Rating 4.5 stars!

Space Unicorn Blues is a fascinating blend of science fiction with fantasy elements! This is the kind of story you can read and think you understand it all but then you re-read it and find nuances that you missed the first time around. It was spectacular. Also, it was not all unicorns and rainbows, there were lots of difficult situations that occurred as well as a few rather gross incidents, yuck. There is a lot to love with this story and the ending was nothing like I was
Kristen Burns
3 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

There were a lot of things to love about this book. An uncommon paranormal creature! Unlikely allies! LGBT+ characters! A disabled character! POC characters! Space adventure! But it ended up being not right for me.

I think the biggest problem was that I was expecting a fun, action-packed space adventure full of shenanigans and misfits, but this was slow-paced for most of the story and more serious
MissBecka
This book was AH-MAZING!!!!!!!
The world building is crazy, I mean the Jaggery stone ship was a self sustaining work of art in itself. Then we have all the cool new species of Balas and planets and whatnot. You should really read this!
The band of merry "heroes" are hella fun, like this weird dysfunctional family that isn't related and all kinda hate each other.
Sooooooooo entertaining to read about.
It ends on a cliffhanger.
But don't fear the author has already gotten the green light from her
The Nerd Daily
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Carolyn Percy

When humanity finally left Earth behind for the outer reaches of space, they mightve expected to encounter little green men but certainly not unicorns, pixies or elves. Known collectively as the Bala, they are a group of species who take the forms of just about any mythological creature you can think of. Despite having observed and even visited humanity over the centuries, they extended the hand of friendship, offering to help them
Esme
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
To understand the plot and characters, the world building has to come first for this one. Humans set out a few centuries ago from Earth after global warming makes it an almost uninhabitable wasteland. There were some people left behind, those who were too sick, or too poor to get aboard one of the generation ships that set off into space.

The humans were having a rough time of it when the least expected thing happened - a race of unicorns showed up to try and save them. They wanted to offer
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for the review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Space Unicorn Blues is a unique spin on sci-fi that mixes in supernatural creatures. Unfortunately however I quickly realized that this was not for me. I would like to say upfront that this had nothing to do with the writing style in itself. I thought what I had read was very well written. The one thing that appealed to me beyond that was that our main character was a half-unicorn who was also asexual.
Mercy
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun. I want to reread it because I missed some stuff at the beginning of the audiobook and there are words I couldn't understand even though I replayed it like five times. 😂 But I loved the rest and can't wait to read more about these characters. The last hour was a joy to listen to. 😍
L.D. Colter
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Space Unicorn Blues is a wonderfully crazy ride through space with a crew and adventures worthy of Buckaroo Banzai or Arthur Dent. The book opens with Gary, the half-unicorn protagonist, released from prison and setting out to reclaim his FTL spaceship. The diversity of characters he meets and the series of bizarre challenges Gary undertakes in Ricky Tangs bar are a perfect preview of the wild ride in store for both the characters and the reader.

Gary has a capacity for patience and forgiveness
Angel Hench
This book, THIS book, THIS BOOK. What do you get when you cross Star Trek with Terry Pratchett's Discworld, a splash of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and any three of your favorite fantasy series? You get Space Unicorn Blues. Humorous and fun with a splash of commentary on human nature. You will LOVE these characters and hate these characters. I cheered and sobbed (literally) while reading about the aftermath of a war between humans and magical creatures (in space!).

..and I have it on good
Liz
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Pratchett & Gaiman head to the stars to rewrite Firefly. With unicorns. Pretty much.🤗
Alan
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Rara aves
Recommended to Alan by: A killer theme
After recently reading a couple of heavyweight novelsJohn Steinbeck's monumental East of Eden and Jeffrey Eugenides' award-winning and astonishingly sensitive novel Middlesex, to be specificI was ready for something much lighter, and T.J. Berry's debut novel fits that bill, at least. Unfortunately, Space Unicorn Blues also turns out to be more like a typical sketch from Saturday Night Livedespite a killer premise, it draws things out way too long.

That premise is both awesome and gruesome: humans
Kristen
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here, on my blog!~

I dont actually think I even checked the reviews or whatnot on this book before I was all up in NetGalleys request button.

Unicorns. In. Space. Guys. I mean, the title of this book itself sounds like a Cowboy Bebop episode, FFS. Who doesnt immediately request that?!

Certainly not me. :D

This one was interesting right out the gate. This book takes place in the future of our own universe, but it turns out that the first aliens that humanity ever met was a species, or
Dumbledore11214
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Kylie
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
There were a lot of things to like here, but I just didnt end up enjoying it that much. The characters, the plot, and the setting all had great potential but didnt deliver. ...more
Carolyn
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
ARC provided in exchange for review. Review will appear on the Nerd Daily & then here closer to publication date.
Madison Keller
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great Science-Fantasy tale. You'll love to hate the four main characters at first until more of their story comes out, and then you'll just love them (three of them at least). I loved the blending of myth and science-fiction. The story is a pot-boiler that will keep you at the edge of your seat until the end.
Ida Lindskog
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, own
Great, great fun, made me realise you're actually "allowed" to write about ANYTHING. Love it!
Jim
Sep 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Weird & not funny. Seems pointless. Abandoning.
rosamund
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: disability, sf, lgbt
If you ever feel like modern sci-fi just isn't weird enough, then this is the book for you.

Humanity has left planet Earth, which has become uninhabitable, and in their search for a new home, they discover the Bala. These are powerful, magical beings, who resemble creatures from Earth myths and legends (unicorns, phoenixes, elves, fairies) because they have visited Earth in the past. But humans cannot live peacefully with the Bala and have all but destroyed their planets and populations. This
Adam Duclos
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tim Hicks
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Reija
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review is based on an Advanced Reader's Copy.

If I'm being completely honest I didn't think I was going to like this book as much as I did. The goofy premise drew me in and I was curious in a positive way, but I was also a little skeptical because that kind of goofiness can go both ways. It's either going to work well, or fall flat.

I'm happy to say that with Space Unicorn Blues it really works.

The story and world have a lot of goofy, tongue in cheek elements, but the overall product is
Kend
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's quite a lot to appreciate about Space Unicorn Blues, although for many readers its temporally proximate publication to Catherynne Valente's blockbuster hit Space Opera is bound to affect its reception and appreciation. In tone as well as substance, however, these books are dramatically different from each other, even though they share a loose fantastical approach to science fiction; where Space Opera is a fundamentally optimistic take on the future and the aftermath of war, Space ...more
Pamela
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sad and funny and meaningful. Everyone has regrets, most learn from them. All the characters are great. Except Jim. Hes the typical privileged white guy who thinks things like Why everyone couldnt be normal people with normal food and normal clothes was beyond him. Everyone wanted to make things complicated so they could get attention. In Jims mind anyone different from him needs to be controlled, owned, imprisoned, or killed. ...more
Heather
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: speculative
Thoroughly enjoyable while also being deeply uncomfortable. Manages to present a spacefaring romp with a small group of unique characters that will appeal to fans of Firefly, while skewering various types of bigotry and establishing a unique version of FTL travel and space colonization. I look forward to the sequel. The only reason I won't recommend it for purchase in my library is we're too small to have enough members of the likely audience. But I may buy personally...
Felicity
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique, bittersweet, redemptive

This is a surprising and fast-growing story that is born from a mind with the imagination of Douglas Adams or Cat Valente, with a cast of characters that a reader truly cares for.
Joseph  Zak Bailey
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A very unique combo of space opera and fantasy involving mythical creatures as the aliens. Full of interesting characters and world building. Moments will be touching, hilarious and have you questioning the nature of humanity. Warning: Will make you want a grilled cheese.
Adri Joy
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full review coming - this is a fun mesh of gritty SF and western fairytale with a diverse and interesting (if occasionally predictable) cast of characters.
Christopher
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Sigh.

There were some things to like about the book but there were also things to dislike. Too many times I was lost in regards to who was speaking because an editor didn't notice that the wrong name was used in the "___ said" part of the writing. I mean, I read the same page five times trying to figure out how person X, who literally ran away at the beginning of the conversation, was suddenly knee deep in the conversation. The only way the thing made any sense was a bad editor.

The character of
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Free Chocolate (Chocoverse #1)
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe (The Salvagers, #1)
  • Empress of Forever
  • The Return of the Incredible Exploding Man
  • The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • The Sisters Mederos (Tales of Port Saint Frey, #1)
  • Smoke Eaters
  • Rosewater (The Wormwood Trilogy, #1)
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1)
  • Finna
  • Space Opera
  • In the Vanishers’ Palace
TJ Berry has been a political blogger, bakery owner, and spent a disastrous two weeks working in a razor blade factory. She now writes science fiction, fantasy, and horror from Seattle with considerably fewer on-the-job injuries. She's the author of Space Unicorn Blues and Five Unicorn Flush from Angry Robot Books. Find her on Twitter @TJaneBerry.

Reason (2 books)
  • Five Unicorn Flush (Reason, #2)

News & Interviews

“the best way to extract yourself from under a man’s control was to pretend you needed his expertise.” 0 likes