Start by marking “The Traitor God (Age of Tyranny, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Traitor God (Age of Tyranny, #1)

The Traitor God

(Age of Tyranny #1)

A city threatened by unimaginable horrors must trust their most hated outcast, or lose everything, in this crushing epic fantasy debut.

After ten years on the run, dodging daemons and debt, reviled magician Edrin Walker returns home to avenge the brutal murder of his friend. Lynas had uncovered a terrible secret, something that threatened to devour the entire city. He tried
Published June 5th 2018 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about The Traitor God, please sign up.
Cameron Johnston It works as a stand-alone novel, however book 2 of the duology is coming, and will delve deeper and darker into the mysteries of the world and magic.

Start your review of The Traitor God (Age of Tyranny, #1)
Bookwraiths
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

The Traitor God by Cameron Johnston is best described as an action-packed video game come to life; a thrill ride of adrenaline, action, blood, and intrigue wrapped up in a story centered on one man’s pursuit of justice. Not every second of the book will dazzle you, but overall you will find yourself having a fun time and wanting more, more, MORE!

Edrin Walker is a liar, a scoundrel, and a damn dangerous magician. His past misdeeds and a deal with the rulers of h
Nick Borrelli
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 out of 5

Click here for full review:

Angry Robot Books is a publishing company that just keeps churning out quality authors and books lately. It has gradually become one of my favorite publishing companies and I have read quite a few amazing titles over the past few years from them. So when I first saw the absolutely gorgeous cover art of THE TRAITOR GOD written by Scottish author Cameron Johnston, I already had an inkling that I wanted to know more abou
Dyrk Ashton
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's taken me forever to get this review up, and it's short, but don't let that be an indicator of how much I did or didn't like it. Because it's fantastic. The Traitor God is a super refreshing and fast-paced fantasy that breaks from the epic journey and focuses on a simple plot but a thrilling story of redemption and revenge. Gruesome and funny at the same time, which is a difficult thing to pull off, but Johnston does it. Highly recommended!
Anna Stephens
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.
An assured and complex debut novel with a main protagonist of questionable loyalty and morals that, despite yourself, you can't help but love.
It's not often you come across a fresh voice and a fresh take on magic, but The Traitor God gives both. Moments of absolute horror sit cheek by jowl with humour of the blackest kind and some of the monstrous creations in this book are nauseatingly wonderful. After a slightly slow start I foun
Jody
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully dark and disturbing! Strapped full of action and mixed with an enticing story. Edrin Walker is one of my new favorite grimdark characters. Some of my favorite heroes are the ones that don't act the part and never wanted to be one in the first place.

"Nothing is ever quite as terrifying as your own mind."

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars ****
Ed McDonald
Spoiler free review.

There are certain themes that I've always deeply enjoyed in fantasy, and while they do not exist to the exclusion of others and I have enjoyed a wide range, The Traitor God hit upon several themes that hark back to some of my early idols.

Power, magic and terrifyingly unstoppable wizards. Fans of Glen Cook's The Black Company are going to get right behind Johnston's take on magic and the mages of the Arcanum. From lowly sniffers, whose gifts are mundanely workaday, to the towe
Antigone
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Edrin Walker is coming home.

Ten wretched years of exile have been shattered by the howl in his head; the agonized cry of the friend to whom he had secretly (and illegally) gift-bonded before he left. It was part of the condition of his banishment, that the friend and his family would be protected throughout the course of his absence. Promises had been made. Promises were broken. All bets were off.

No one wants Edrin Walker swaggering back down the streets of Setharis. A rogue mage with the rare t
Gary
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book wasn't bad. It started out really well- the narrator had a dark sense of humor and the first-person perspective reminded me a lot of Jim Butcher's writing. The book got into the head of the main character quite a bit, which was good at times, but sometimes the plot seemed to stall while the narrator alternated between flashbacks and insights into the world around him which was elaborately developed and dumped quickly through the narrator.
I would've liked to have the other characters fl
Anna Spark
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Visceral and gripping fantasy, horribly and hugely enjoyable.
The Captain
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

This was one of those times where the stars aligned and the read was the perfect fit for me mood. I read it in one sitting. It was entertaining, engrossing, and a bit violent (Arrr!!). I even refused to get shut-eye and instead stayed up into the wee hours of the morn turning pages because I just had to know how it ended.

The story follows Edrin Walker, a magician,
Emily
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I guess I don't have much to say about this one. I enjoyed it, will read the next one.
Jeremy Jackson
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fine debut, reminiscent of Ed Macdonald, with perhaps a dash of Daniel Polansky thrown in. Action-packed and well-paced; dark enough, without advancing to "grimdark"; indisputable character arc. TTG concluded with a satisfying climax that sealed my purchase of the next book in the series.
Adah Udechukwu
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Traitor God was freaking explosive. It is a top-notch action novel
David S Meanderings)
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Heroism could get a man killed.”

4.5 stars. With these words we are introduced to Edrin Walker. A Rogue Magus with a penchant for trouble making and a desire for his friends to be safe that knows no bounds or moral codes. Edrin was the sole perspective of this novel and was a great character to follow. The premise of him killing a God, but not remembering any specifics about the event was what hooked me in the first place. Getting to know him, his motives, his passions, his personality, was what
~Dani~ LazyTurtle's Books
Read this review and more at Book Geeks Uncompromised!

I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Edrin Walker's mind is loosely linked to that of his childhood friend, Lynas, although he has not seen Lynas in a decade. When Walker experiences the violent death of his friend through their link, this sets off a story of revenge and mystery as Walker uncovers the truths behind Lynas's murder and what his killers hoped to conceal.

This book is absolutely one that dr
Kitvaria Sarene
3,5 Stars

I especially enjoyed the main character who is not a good guy, but also not actually evil. I clicked with him very early on and loved his character development over the course of the story!
The side characters were also interesting and well enough fleshed out to stand in their own and not feel like cardboard cutouts as a backdrop.

Some parts of the books felt a bit stretched out to me and could have been a bit tighter.
The violence and fighting especially sometimes felt like a very over t
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Sometimes what you need is just an opportunity to decompress, to unsheathe your blades and to rid your foes of their guts with an unrestrained series of stabbing and slashing. As if he read my mind, Cameron Johnston invites readers to tag along the magician Edrin Walker in his quest for vengeance after 10 years on the run and there’s absolutely nothing pretty about what is about to go down.

Edrin Walker has been hiding from daemons and debts for
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Video Review: https://youtu.be/vxFOWyIazmg

This story blended together a classic revenge plot with a mystery as the protagonist attempted to investigate the situation surrounding his friend’s untimely death.

The best part of this novel was easily the main character, Edrin, who was a fouled-mouthed individual with plenty of snarky personality.  Told in a first person perspective, we, as the reader, were given a front seat to Edrin’s inner thoughts, which made it easy to connect with him
Christian Freed
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book grew on me. Dislike: first person. Ugh...it always seems to self serving and I'm not that guy. Now on to the likes. My favorite part of this book was seeing the internal struggle Walker has with who he is, what he was, and what dark force he might become if he lets his control slip. That was strong enough to carry the whole story. Most of the book read like an old 1950s film noir detective mystery. Sure, there was magic and a little bit of some mean viking like dudes looking for a figh ...more
Rob Hayes
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Traitor God is the story of Edrin Walker, a surly deviant of a magician who has spent the last ten years running away from a past he can't quite remember. He's fairly certain, however, that it has something to do with his murdering of a god. But when his best friend is killed and enemies from abroad start to invade, Edrin returns back to his home city in an attempt to unravel the plot and his past both.

I'll start by saying I listened to this one and it was narrated by Paul Woodson who did a
Jenny Engelbrektsson
I really enjoyed this book, and think that it needs to be talked about a lot more than it is. Very nice take on a MC that's not a teenager, but rather a middle aged man with a past and a history. I also liked the fact that he, among with most of the other characters, were very much no-nonsen, and "oh fuck, here we go again, let's do this shit then".
I'm a really shitty reviewer, but never mind that, read this book, cause it's bloody good! Starting the second one immideately.
Queen Terrible Timy
Actual rating: 4.5*
This review was originally posted on RockStarlitBookAsylum!

"Almost every powerful magus I'd ever met had disappeared up their own arse long ago. Bugger that for a game of soldiers. Me, I was content to be a nobody."

I've been meaning to read The Traitor God for a while now, but the timing was never quite right for that. I've read samples of Johnston's other works which just made me want to read it even more. Finally the time has come and I have to say, it was worth the wai
Ross Thompson
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Traitor God is a book set in a world which has seen its fair share of turmoil. The once powerful Escharric empire crumbled centuries ago and their achievements and discoveries are still sought after. Magic plays a large part in this world, with some people born with a Gift (an affinity for a certain strain of magic), able to work their way up through the ranks (assuming they survive their tests) and hope for a place in leadership of Setharis, the most civilised of the remaining cities.

The ma
Logan
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book felt like a noir, urban fantasy mystery, mixed with sword and sorcery adventure. Lots of magic and the story mostly took place within a single city.
I really liked this book. It was fast paced and just plain fun. The main character was morally grey, but very well done. His relationship with his magic was interesting and provided a lot of conflict. I look forward to the second book.
Al Burke
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one has languished on my TBR for far too long, courtesy of giving preference to ARCs, so when I finally got around to reading it, I couldn’t believe I’d put it on the long finger for so long. The story tells of Edrin Walker, a mage who had faked his own death, but now must return to the city where he was a wanted man to discover who killed his friend. He’s not only hunted by his own cadre, but demons from another dimension who have been summoned by a mystery figure. Walker knows whoever kil ...more
Esme
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Edrin Walker is an exiled mage who has been on the run for more than ten long years. It’s been a hard life, he’s lived mostly on the move going from tavern to tavern just one step ahead of those who are hunting him. He has a lot of debt that’s built up over the years, he managed to fix that by faking his death. The demons are harder to shake off, however, and shadow cats stalk him from town to town. One night as he was enjoying some ale (which mages aren’t supposed to do) someone busts down the ...more
C.W. Snyder
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blood and bone and madness. It starts with a slow burn investigation and erupts into gleeful chaos that draws you in and has your heart pounding.

A fantastic debut from Cameron Johnston, I'm eagerly looking forward to the next in the series.
Adele
Thank you Angry Robot Books, via Netgalley for allowing me to read The Traitor God by Cameron Johnston in exchange for an honest review.

What drew me towards The Traitor Gods was initially the cover; I mean, it’s beautifully illustrated, and it’s so interesting. There’s so much to look at! The second thing that drew me towards this novel was the title: The Traitor God. The title alone sparks my imagination. I can honestly say that when the title drop happened, I did not expect it to happen in the
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always find that with first person novels my enjoyment completely hinges on whether or not I like the main character. You do, after all, spend the entire novel in their head so if they don’t come across as likeable or at least understandable then the whole novel can fall apart. Thankfully, The Traitor God introduces the reader to a very interesting protagonist in Edrin Walker. I thought he was great. He was rough around the edges but with a very likeable side. The rest of the characters were a ...more
Edward Cox
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Traitor God by Cameron Johnston is part murder mystery, part detective story, and all fantasy that's full of magic, shady villains and even shadier heroes. A hugely enjoyable tale and definitely a 2018 debut to look out for. Marvellous stuff.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
/r/Fantasy Discus...: February 2020: The Traitor God 3 44 Mar 02, 2020 03:12PM

• Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark #2)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • Empire of Silence (Sun Eater, #1)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal #1)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
  • Smoke and Stone
  • The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • Kings of Ash (Ash and Sand, #2)
  • Blood of an Exile (Dragons of Terra, #1)
Cameron Johnston is a Scottish writer of fantasy and horror and lives in the city of Glasgow in Scotland. He is a student of Historical European Martial Arts, a member of the Glasgow Science Fiction Writers' Circle, and enjoys exploring ancient sites and camping out under the stars (when Scottish weather allows).

Age of Tyranny (2 books)
  • God of Broken Things

News & Interviews

“Nothing is ever quite as terrifying as your own mind.” 1 likes
“I’d been disappointed far too many times for that, but everybody deserved a chance. What they made of it was up to them.” 0 likes