Start by marking “The Bottle Imp of Bright House” as Want to Read:
The Bottle Imp of Bright House

The Bottle Imp of Bright House

A delightfully dark middle-grade novel reminiscent of the Newbery-winning classic, The Westing Game.

Think of a wish. Go big with it. A winning lottery ticket. Eternal happiness. School vacation for a year. Now, answer this question: If you know this wish will come true, would you still make it if you knew someone else would somehow have to pay for it?

That's the catch t
Published October 9th 2018 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Bottle Imp of Bright House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bottle Imp of Bright House

Start your review of The Bottle Imp of Bright House
Hannah Greendale
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Great illustrations by Gris Grimly, but The Bottle Imp of Bright House doesn't really start until page 32, and even then it never picks up. In his effort to write a tale that warns, "Be careful what you wish for!" Llewellyn seems to have been going for whimsy and macabre but his efforts fall flat.
The old man reached into the pocket of his jacket and pulled out a little bottle. It was white, but other colors danced across its surface. If I'd had to guess, I would have said it was carved from
Karschtl
Tolle Idee, aus der aber bald schon die Luft raus ist

3,5 Sterne

Doktor Faustus, Timm Thaler, Gabriel Silver - sie alle erliegen der Versuchung all ihre Wünsche erfüllt zu bekommen, und verkaufen im Gegenzug ihre Seele an den Teufel. Wobei Gabriel, der Protagonist in diesem Buch, ein kleines Hintertürchen offen hat: wenn er seinen kleinen Flaschengeist verkauft bevor er stirbt, muss er selbst nicht dran glauben. Ha, nichts leichter als das! Denn wer würde ihm nicht so eine tolle Wunderflasche abk
Barbara
Ah, be careful what you wish for, and never, never make a deal with the Devil. In this particular story, thirteen-year-old Gabe Silver is terribly disappointed when his family moves into Bright House. Down on their luck financially, his parents work several jobs, and his father has signed a one-year lease for their new apartment. It's a dump, though, and so crowded that Gabe barely has room for the mattress in his bedroom. When his path crosses that of a wealthy elderly man, Gabe buys a bottle w ...more
Olivia
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Olivia 6th grade

The Bottle Imp of Bright House by Tom Llewellyn is a book about a boy who has just moved into the bright house apartment, he buys a bottle imp from a man while in the town one day. He is told to wish for anything and it will be given to him, but there is also a dark side. If he dies with the bottle then his soul belongs to the devil himself. At first he despises the bottle imp until he makes his first wish, after that he believes in the bottle imp and is impressed. So he makes mo
Teresa Bateman
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Gabe Silver's family has fallen on hard times and they've had to move into a rattletrap apartment building in Tacoma. When he is approached by a man with a magic bottle that grants wishes it seems like all his dreams will come true. However, wishes come at a price--someone's gain is someone else's loss. And the last person left with the bottle loses his or her soul. What is Gabe going to do? This is a well-written story, and I live in Tacoma so I recognize some of the scenery. However, it's hard ...more
Sarah Heavin
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t have loved this book more. Has all the greats of a good story- friendship, characters you relate to, watching children make decisions between what helps them but may hurt others. So many mysteries within a mystery. A must real aloud for school aged kids.
Irem Sunar-Ozat
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I liked the story. It's a fun, easy-to-read book for middle graders. I also loved the way Llewellyn managed to tell the importance of taking responsibility for the decisions we make, without sounding teachery. The story is also a nice blend of spooky and fun.
Megan
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this because I loved Gris Grimly’s artwork. The artwork was great (and there wasn’t enough of it!). The story was interesting and makes you think a bit, but it was slow to get into. I liked how it ended.
Courtney
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book seemed a bit young for it's intended audience (or at least for the main character's age) and the characters, who I think were supposed to evoke the same kind of whimsy as Roald Dahl, just fell flat. It was, however, different and I appreciated that.
Danielle
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I am admittedly not the target audience for this book, but it seemed pretty slow.
Meghan Davis strader
I picked this as a read aloud with my kids and we all enjoyed it. It ran really wordy in some places and didn’t seem to end in a very realistic way; but it was an entertaining read.
Diana
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and Gris Grimly’s illustrations were (of course) a marvelous addition!
Alison
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute MG story about the dangers of getting anything you want. I found the bottle imp to be an interesting twist to familiar storyline.

Great for fans of Roald Dahl.
Jill Berry
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good, but there were times that it was really strange. Definitely unusual characters.
That One Librarian
Nov 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-new
SM
Sharon Lawler
Could be used to illustrate the meaning of "Be careful what you wish for....". You will get your wish, but someone else will be loose.
Andea

• Creature Carnival
  • The Robot and the Bluebird
  • Old MacDonald Had a Farm
  • The Death of Yorik Mortwell
TOM LLEWELLYN grew up in a drafty, old house (without tilting floors) on the shores of the Puget Sound. One winter, the house got so cold that the water in the toilet actually froze. Tom survived (thanks to plenty of blankets) and went on to study creative writing at the University of Washington in Seattle.

He has worked as a trade journalist and copywriter, and is the co-founder of the guerrilla