Start by marking “The Bottle Imp of Bright House” as Want to Read:
The Bottle Imp of Bright House

The Bottle Imp of Bright House

A delightfully dark middle-grade novel reminiscent of the Newbery-winning classic, The Westing Game.

Think of a wish. Go big with it. A winning lottery ticket. Eternal happiness. School vacation for a year. Now, answer this question: If you know this wish will come true, would you still make it if you knew someone else would somehow have to pay for it?

That's the catch thi
Published October 9th 2018 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Bottle Imp of Bright House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bottle Imp of Bright House

Hannah Greendale
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Great illustrations by Gris Grimly, but The Bottle Imp of Bright House doesn't really start until page 32, and even then it never picks up. In his effort to write a tale that warns, "Be careful what you wish for!" Llewellyn seems to have been going for whimsy and macabre but his efforts fall flat.
The old man reached into the pocket of his jacket and pulled out a little bottle. It was white, but other colors danced across its surface. If I'd had to guess, I would have said it was carved from st
Karschtl
Tolle Idee, aus der aber bald schon die Luft raus ist

3,5 Sterne

Doktor Faustus, Timm Thaler, Gabriel Silver - sie alle erliegen der Versuchung all ihre Wünsche erfüllt zu bekommen, und verkaufen im Gegenzug ihre Seele an den Teufel. Wobei Gabriel, der Protagonist in diesem Buch, ein kleines Hintertürchen offen hat: wenn er seinen kleinen Flaschengeist verkauft bevor er stirbt, muss er selbst nicht dran glauben. Ha, nichts leichter als das! Denn wer würde ihm nicht so eine tolle Wunderflasche abk
Teresa Bateman
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Gabe Silver's family has fallen on hard times and they've had to move into a rattletrap apartment building in Tacoma. When he is approached by a man with a magic bottle that grants wishes it seems like all his dreams will come true. However, wishes come at a price--someone's gain is someone else's loss. And the last person left with the bottle loses his or her soul. What is Gabe going to do? This is a well-written story, and I live in Tacoma so I recognize some of the scenery. However, it's hard ...more
Irem Sunar-Ozat
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the story. It's a fun, easy-to-read book for middle graders. I also loved the way Llewellyn managed to tell the importance of taking responsibility for the decisions we make, without sounding teachery. The story is also a nice blend of spooky and fun.
Megan
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this because I loved Gris Grimly’s artwork. The artwork was great (and there wasn’t enough of it!). The story was interesting and makes you think a bit, but it was slow to get into. I liked how it ended.
Courtney
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book seemed a bit young for it's intended audience (or at least for the main character's age) and the characters, who I think were supposed to evoke the same kind of whimsy as Roald Dahl, just fell flat. It was, however, different and I appreciated that.
Alison
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute MG story about the dangers of getting anything you want. I found the bottle imp to be an interesting twist to familiar storyline.

Great for fans of Roald Dahl.
Jill Berry
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good, but there were times that it was really strange. Definitely unusual characters.
That One Librarian
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5+
Barb Dixon Palmieri
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come...
Sharon Lawler
Could be used to illustrate the meaning of "Be careful what you wish for....". You will get your wish, but someone else will be loose.
Andea
Adri is Reading
Apr 17, 2019
Ronnie
Dec 05, 2018
TOM LLEWELLYN grew up in a drafty, old house (without tilting floors) on the shores of the Puget Sound. One winter, the house got so cold that the water in the toilet actually froze. Tom survived (thanks to plenty of blankets) and went on to study creative writing at the University of Washington in Seattle.

He has worked as a trade journalist and copywriter, and is the co-founder of the guerrilla