Start by marking “White as Silence, Red as Song” as Want to Read:
White as Silence, Red as Song

White as Silence, Red as Song

International bestseller White as Milk, Red as Blood, has been called the Italian The Fault in Our Stars.

Leo is an ordinary sixteen-year-old: he loves hanging out with his friends, playing soccer, and zipping around on his motorbike. The time he has to spend at school is a drag, and his teachers are "a protected species that you hope will become extinct," so when a new his
Published September 4th 2018 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 2010)

To ask other readers questions about White as Silence, Red as Song, please sign up.
Iris Certamrnte perché Leo e Bea riescono a rispecchiare quello che c'è veramente in ognuno di noi. Anche so non sembra chiunque come Leo sarebbe disposto …moreCertamrnte perché Leo e Bea riescono a rispecchiare quello che c'è veramente in ognuno di noi. Anche so non sembra chiunque come Leo sarebbe disposto a puntare in alto per rendere felice la persona che ama.(less)

Start your review of White as Silence, Red as Song
DJ Sakata
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Favorite Quotes:

Perhaps she was a dog in her previous life? I enjoy giving people a former life in my head. It helps explain their character.

I can’t believe it. I am sleeping under the same roof as Beatrice and I didn’t even know it. This sends me into hyperkinetic rapture.

Mom yells at me to get out of the bathroom and stop doing indecent things. Why don’t grown-ups understand anything? What do they know about what’s going on in your head? They’re convinced that the only things in your head ar
Samadrita
A fine way to advertise your book is to call it the Italian 'The Fault in our Stars' which I admit was a YA book worth reading. But throw in a protagonist in the form of an irritating high schooler with the maturity of a 5 year old, that ugly cover and an extremely horrendous English translation and what you get is the exact opposite of the best-selling John Green book.
Avoid.
Iulia
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

I had the chance to read an excerpt from this in Netgalley's Buzz Books, and I instantly knew that it would be a book that I would love.

I don't believe that the Italian "Fault in Our Stars" is an accurate description of what White as Silence, Red as Song really is. It honestly reminded me more of Catcher in the Rye or The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

L
mollusskka
Like it or not, some part of this book did remind me of A Walk to Remember, The Catcher in the Rye, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The romance, the personality and the mind of the main character, and the relationship between the main character, Leo, with his teacher, sounds like Charlie and Bill to me.

It's a story of Leo, a coming of age boy who fell in love with a girl suffers from Leukemia, Beatrice. When other boys setting a goal to become a dentist, a painter or something else in the
Julie Parks
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Oh, Signor D'Avenia, this book is so beautiful and emotional, and also so true.
A few years back, I used to teach English to Italian teenagers not far from Milan and I must say reading this felt like re-living that atmosphere. Brilliant!

I cried and I laughed. And my face was a wreck when the last line of words was finished.

The main protagonist goes through such an eye-opening journey in life, dealing with such high concepts as friendships and girls, life and death, popularity and honesty. It's bo
Flor Méndez
INSOPORTABLE
Maddy
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
To be perfectly honestly, I think that this book is either going to be a hit or miss. For me, it was a hit.

Leo, the main character, is a 16-year-old trying to make his way through life. He's tired of the white in his life, the plain and everyday routine. Beatrice is the girl with red hair. Red, the color of passion and love. The girl with the disease.

This book is honestly unlike any other book I've ever read. It's so deep and real, and I just loved it. The story is in first person and there is
Robyn
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leo is your average high school student. He is only sixteen years old and acts like any normal teenager. He is in high school, but doesn't really like any of his classes or teachers. He has good friends, plays sports, and he is just living in the moment. He experiences his first crush in Beatrice, a girl a year ahead of him in school. She doesn't really know Leo other than in passing, but he loves her regardless.

Leo is infatuated with colors and hates white as it is the color of silence. White
The Anxious Bookaholic
I was born on the first day of school; I grew up and grew old only for two thousand days.

I feel like I’ve been waiting to read this book since forever and when I finally got my hands on it yesterday I just couldn’t stop. I probably should not write this review, since I closed the last page, just a few moments ago but I guess its stronger then me.
I admit that the first thing that drew me to this book was the front cover –not just the fact that the girl is totally gorgeous; but the sadness in
OutlawPoet
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This book sold about a million copies in Italy and was also made into a movie. It's hailed as an International entree into the 'Dying Teen' subgenre.

But it's really not.

This is a coming of age novel. Is there a dying teen? Yes. But it's not really about her or about their romance. It's about a teen named Leo who finally grows up.

Part of the difficulty for me may be cultural. I love Italy and Italian lit. However, when I read a YA book, I expect some authenticity. And while Leo felt like a self-c
Rachel
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
A teen-aged boy’s self-discovery amidst illness and death is the focus of this translated coming-of-age novel by Alessandro D’Avenia.

I cannot tell you how eager I was for this book. It was dubbed as The Fault of Our Stars of Italy, and that alone got my attention. Add to that a very enticing blurb, and it won me over, so I requested it.

Sadly, White as Silence, Red as Song didn’t quite measure up to its potential.

The story follows and is told by 16-year old Leo. He’s witty and sarcastic: a ty
Luupi "The Reading Queen"
So, I only read 10 pages maximum back in the day and I decided I would never read this book. There's nothing wrong with it, the problem is that there exist a boy in real life that I hate that has the same name and personality as the main character in this book.

I think that's one of the reasons why I love fantasy, usually names on those books are so strange that I would never meet someone call that, therefore I wouldn't compare it with a real human. It's sad because this might be a good book but
Franko
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I DID like the book, I was utterly annoyed with the whole relationship or better yet, one part of the relationship with Leo and Beatrice. You barely know her, Leo.
Kelly Gunderman
Check out this, other reviews, and more bookish things on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

***Actual Rating: 3.5/5 Stars***

I had a really difficult time trying to figure out whether or not this book was for me, and even still, while I'm torn about it, I do have to say that White as Silence, Red as Song is definitely a beautifully written book that prompts the reader to really think about what it is that they are taking in.

I like books that make me think. I like books that tr
Vicky Again
This book has so much potential, and I really hope that the version I read goes through a few more touch ups before it's published.

Because seriously--an Italian TFIOS! a coming of age story! These are all really great elements.

Yet, this book ended up being a let down for me for multiple reasons.

My biggest issue with this book is honestly the narrator. I just really did not like Leo for most of the novel. He consistently hates on teachers and calls them losers for no reason, he blames everyone
Rebekah Gyger
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always up for a novel that has been translated into English, both because it helps support the arts from other cultures and because it allows a glimpse into life outside of the English speaking worldview.

This book is told solely from the perspective of Leo, a teenage boy who starts of the book behaving like all the children who made me give up substitute teaching. And for that reason, I definitely had a hard time getting into the beginning of the story. However, as the story progressed and
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
In the interest of full disclosure, I received an advance reader edition of this book from Open Road Integrated Media and Net Galley for the purpose of review.

This is Leo's story. It is a story of love, loss, connections, separations, death, grief, life, fear, friendship, learning, and growth. Leo brings the reader along during this pivotal point in his life.

Leo falls in love with Beatrice despite the fact that they have never spoken. He is an average teen who plays on the soccer team with his f
Hallie Szott
3.5

White as Silence, Red as Song is an odd YA story. Leo carries it with a stream-of-consciousness-esque narration, so naturally, it focuses on the aspects of his life: school, soccer, friends, and his crush on Beatrice. At times, Leo comes across immature and makes questionable decisions (he is a teenage boy, after all), but his growth through the story, thanks to injury, illness, and a teacher that makes him think, is interesting to see.

When I picked up White as Silence, Red as Song, the compa
Michelle
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This was a heart warming story of a young man in high school and how he falls in love with a girl who is diagnosed with Leukemia. I found it refreshing to read about young love and the many trials and tribulations that come along with being a typical teenager. I felt many emotions while reading this book. Some parts made me laugh, some parts made me happy, and some parts made me feel sad.

The main character Leo has quite a way with words and was easy to like as a character in the book. I enjoyed
Patrick
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young adult novel. Italy’s version of Fault in our Stars. Pretty good. Interesting writing!
Michaela Bush
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This book seemed like it would be very interesting, and I am still struggling to decide how I felt about it...hence the rating. I found it as confusing as Dante's work itself, and I'm not sure if this was clever and purposeful or merely a writing choice that could have been changed. I considered putting it down several times, but once I was halfway through,
Cecily Kyle
There is definitely a frantic energy with how the MC speaks and sees the world. It was very well done though with some beautifully thought provoking writing and really pulled on the heart strings. Quite emotional.
Beautiful read!
Leyla
Sono nato il primo giorno di scuola, cresciuto e invecchiato in soli duecento giorni.

This book was amazing. Moving. Funny and touching at the same time.

It left me speechless. The simple writing, perfect for the thoughts of a sixteen-year old boy, and the bare clarity of his feelings made this book a piece of art, a sublime example of an high school student in love whose life suddenly changes, and not in a good way.

The hero's name is Leo.
Beatrice is his life, his heart, his happiness, his red
Cheryl
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have never read or seen the movie for the Fault in our Stars. Therefore, I can not compare this book to it as some other readers have. Yet, I will tell you that this book didn't really deliver for me. The theme is "love makes everything possible". Thus the reason that Leo felt he could do anything including being Beatrice knight in shining armor.

Here is why this book didn't really work for me. I felt a bit uncomfortable to the point that Leo came off as kind of stalkerish. He kept obsessing a
Patrycja
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished this beautiful novel and I still have tears in my eyes.
This novel broke my heart into thousand little pieces. It shuttered it, and than threw it and broke more. It is put back together at the end, but the pieces don't fit the same anymore....

This story starts funny. And I laughed at teenage Leo. At his typical teenage behavior. ( Hey, we all have been there). But than the sadness took over the story.

"I was born on the first day of school and I grew up and old in just two hundred da
Kate (KitKat07210)

White as Silence, Red as Song sounded like a very interesting read to me. Unfortunately as hard as I’ve tried, I haven’t been able to read the book.

Leo is an annoying main character. His lion’s main hair obsession is making me wonder if he ever even washes it, and I’m not enjoying being stuck in his head. His obsession with Beatrice, the supposed love of his
Sandra
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen-year-old Leo is in love. He is too shy to approach red-haired Beatrice, until he learns that she is ill with leukemia. He decides to do all he can to make her life better at this difficult time. But it is when he experiences terrible loss that he discovers what he has really wanted all along!

I love how this book is written. Leo narrates his story, and, as I read this book, it was as if an actual teenage boy was telling me his story. Leo is very real, thus making this story unforgettable.
Jelena
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I would give 6 stars to this book if I could! I loved it because it was alive for me, reading was much more than seeing the written words, but actually going beyond by making me feel, experience it.

When I read, I usually keep a pencil at hand in case I like some thoughts to underline. Well, this book was one of the few ones where I kept on underlining and underlining sentences that spoke to my heart more than just the words.

I`m not saying this is the best book ever. It dosen`t have to be! What
Dora
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the English translation, of course...so I'm hoping that the book didn't lose on it's value due to the translation. Anyway, I really like the way the author was able to make you believe that they're a teenager! This was great...at some points I actually wanted to strangle the main character for being such a drama queen (well, king actually) about certain things but then I'd remember: Oh! He's in puberty! And this was, I think, the effect the author was going for.

The ending was just amazing
Jolene
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Interesting read of a young teen who has fallen deeply for a girl he barely knows, This book has love and much heartache throughout, but I like how the author has "the dreamer" with his lessons and words of wisdom and advice. Gave the moments of despair another outlook.

Although I enjoyed the book, I found it a little slow paced for me, sometimes to much time
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Ma le stelle quante sono
  • Io sono di legno
  • Il rumore dei tuoi passi
  • The Solitude of Prime Numbers
  • Fai bei sogni
  • Nessuno si salva da solo
  • L'amico ritrovato
  • Me and You
  • Primo Levi e Se questo è un uomo
  • Per questo mi chiamo Giovanni
  • Alfredo
Alessandro D’Avenia, born in 1977 in Palermo, holds a PhD in classics and is a high school literature teacher and screenwriter.

D'Avenia nasce il 2 maggio 1977 da Rita e Giuseppe D'Avenia, terzo di sei figli. Dal 1990 frequenta il liceo classico Vittorio Emanuele II di Palermo, dove incontra padre Pino Puglisi che insegnava religione nello stesso istituto e dalla cui figura viene fortemente influen

News & Interviews

“Una vida sin sueños es un jardín sin flores, pero una vida de sueños imposibles es un jardín de flores falsas...” 42 likes
“L'amore non esiste per renderci felici, ma per dimostrarci quando sia forte la nostra capacità di sopportare il dolore.” 41 likes