Start by marking “The Search for a Soul: Taylor Caldwell's Psychic Lives” as Want to Read:
The Search for a Soul: Taylor Caldwell's Psychic Lives

The Search for a Soul: Taylor Caldwell's Psychic Lives

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  221 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
One of Jess Stearn's most dramatic and provocative explorations of the hidden dimensions of man's mind, this book delves into the psychic lives of bestselling novelist Taylor Caldwell. A skeptic about reincarnation, Miss Caldwell agreed to undergo hypnosis "in the interests of setting the theory of reincarnation to rest." Yet once in a trance, she lapsed into memories of o ...more
Published January 1st 1973 by Doubleday & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Search for a Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search for a Soul

Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fascinating....read this one about 20 years ago, and still recall it. TC is a bit passe these days, but I love her novels still
Missy
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of the author Taylor Caldwell. She writes historical fiction w/ amazing detail. I have loved every single one of her books. Many of them are portrayed from biblical times. The stories always left me wondering how she can write w/ such fantastic depth and knowledge. Her "characters" were made real w/ her written word, so much so that it begs the question how? How does she create these people and situations? The books are the type that get to your heart emotionally and leave you thi ...more
Donna
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A captivating read that plumbs the mysteries of past lives. Her coast to coast experiment with the author was to use hypnotic regressions to explore memories Taylor Caldwell may have of previous lifetimes. Taylor Caldwell didn't believe in past lives, but agreed to participate in a series of hypnosis induced regressions. The agreement, though, was that she would not know the content of her sessions (Each was taped and noted in detail)until the book was written. She recalls many journeys. The vig ...more
Elizabeth Cleve
Intriguing but a bit drawn out and boring at times. I skimmed through at least half of it.
Virginia Ann
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone with an imagination.
Recommended to Virginia by: found Caldwells writings long ago in the library.
Personally, I have had no luck with being hypnotized,tried several times ... however, I do believe..used correctly..it is a powerful tool for life changes.
The second time I tried the hypnosis, the theraphyst said that there were some people who just cannot go there...so I found it quite interesting that Calwell slipped so easily into that state.
I take what Stern writes about Caldwell with a grain of salt.
Probably a bit embellished (or not)...but basically an entertaining book...She is one of my
Laura Lynch
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Internationally acclaimed author Taylor Caldwell explored the idea of reincarnation in her 70’s. I have read a number of books by Taylor who brilliantly melds history and medicine into fiction. I was intrigued by "The Search For A Soul"(published in the 70’s) found in the paperback exchange at our local library. It appears that some of Caldwell’s past experiences made their way into her books with no conscious knowledge. The past life regressions in "The Search For A Soul" jump around quite a bi ...more
Maudie
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
One of my missions this year is to read again some of the Taylor Caldwell novels I have enjoyed in the past...so, coming across this little book at a yard sale, I thought to give it a go and found it to be a very quick and entertaining read...Would I recommend it?...No...With this one, you're on your own...
Janine
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book gave me a great deal of food for thought and really asked more questions than it gave answers. Taylor Caldwell is aa well respected, and serious author who in allowing herself to be regressively hypnotised then to find that many of her stories were as a result of memories from previous lives must have been a revelation in a way.
Tiffany Gellner
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the first books I read on reincarnation when I was about 14. I was riveted by this book and went on to devour everything I could on the subject eventually leading me to practice past life regression. Regardless of whether or not it still holds up to modern standards I'll always have a very special place in my heart for this book.
Kate Hart
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thought provoking read and very enjoyable. In this book, Jess Stearn explores the subject of reincarnation, specifically as it applies to the past lives of Taylor Caldwell (a renown writer in her own right).
Judy
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nf-memoir-bios
I read this soon after reading Dear and Glorious Physician. I was fascinated. Now that I'm remembering the book, I think I'll see what I can find out about Jess Stearn.
Doris Pearson
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Veddy interesting...
Margaret Robinet
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love this book. I originally read this book in the late 70's and it has been with me ever since. I recently picked up another copy so I could re-read it and share with friends.
Mike S
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cayce, reincarnation fans
Shelves: metaphysics
Inspired writing, hypnotic regression, good writing, a few Edgar Cayce references... a really good read if you like the subject matter.
Lorrie
Oct 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great exploration into the past lives of Taylor Caldwell. Stearn hires a hynotist to take her back in time to reveal her reincarnations even though she does not believe any of it.
Kara
Sep 07, 2016
Lenora Dinunzi
Mar 06, 2012
Priscilla Del Gesso
rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2017
  • Kitty Foyle
  • Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star
  • Diary of a Witch
  • Heaven and Earth: Making the Psychic Connection
Stearn was a Jewish-American journalist and author of more than thirty books, nine of which were bestsellers. As an author, Stearn specialized in sensationalist speculative non-fiction. His early work focused on outsiders and marginalized individuals such as prostitutes, drug addicts, and homosexuals. His later work focused on spirituality, the occult, and psychic phenomena. His most popular works ...more
More about Jess Stearn

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99