Start by marking “Lady Bird & The Fox” as Want to Read:
Lady Bird & The Fox

Lady Bird & The Fox

Praise for Lady Bird & The Fox:

'Kim Kelly’s Lady Bird & The Fox is a marvel of a novel. It’s got it all: tragedy, comedy, adventure, romance - and history that makes you think as well as feel. It’s a story that will stay with me forever. ' - Wendy James, bestselling author of The Golden Child

'Reminiscent of Mark Twain’s dry humour, this rollicking ride through the 1860s’
Published April 18th 2018 by Jazz Monkey Publications

To ask other readers questions about Lady Bird & The Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Bird & The Fox

Start your review of Lady Bird & The Fox
Brenda
The grief which struck Annie at the sudden and horrid death of her father was upstaged by the brutal dismissal of Annie and her sister from the farm – the only home they’d known their whole lives. Annie’s sister headed to her boyfriend, while Annie was determined to find her grandfather. She had never met him, but her mother had spoken of him often before she’d died, as a great tracker – her determination to find him had her setting out on foot, dressed as a boy in her father’s clothes and boots ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Kim Kelly is a true pioneer in the Australian historical fiction field. Her ability to flawlessly bring to life pertinent moments in the history that shaped our nation never fails to astound me. Kelly’s latest novel, Lady Bird & The Fox is a true labour of love, it comes from her heart and is a passionate, as well as expertly told history of times gone by.

Lady Bird & The Fox opens in early settlement Australia. At the heart and soul of this tale is Annie Bir
☼♄Jülie 
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much!!

What a wonderful story!

Set in 1878 in the western reaches of country New South Wales (Australia) during the gold rush days when bushrangers were a real threat to dwellers and travellers alike.
Times were very tough as laborers and businessmen downed tools to take off for the gold fields in search of their fortunes, leaving loved ones behind to cope without proper means...open to exploitation from all quarters.

Annie Bird lives with her father and younger sister on a small
Matt Drewett
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Historical fiction is a relatively new discovery for me, and historical romantic fiction is the name of a bridge I never imagined I’d be so wantonly skipping across. For more than 30 years now, my interest has been firmly with Australian frontier history, or more specifically - as the seminal indigenous historian Henry Reynolds tagged it: The OTHER side of the frontier. The history we weren't taught at high school - the truth of what really happened out there. As a result of my fairly narrow foc ...more
Suze Lavender
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing

It's 1868 and Annie is working with her father on a farm and she enjoys helping him out. Unfortunately a bad stroke of luck leaves her without a roof over her head. She's now an orphan and is no longer welcome at the farm. She has a grandfather somewhere and finding him seems to be her only way forward. Her search starts in a disastrous way though. Bushrangers steal every belonging she still has left. Annie is powerless against them, but fortunately Jem comes to her aid. He accidentally steals a
Theresa Smith
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww2018
Lady Bird & The Fox would have to be my most anticipated read for 2018. In part, this can be attributed to having been ‘in the know’ about this novel for quite some time. Fortunately for me, I was able to read it in advance of publication. The other side to my anticipation is quite straight forward: it’s a new novel by Kim Kelly and I love every single thing she writes, from novels through to blog posts and even simple social media updates. If Kim writes it, I’ll read it. My expectations were hi ...more
D.M. Cameron
Just finished this amazing read. I don't know how Kim Kelly immerses herself in another era and characters from another time and different cultures so convincingly. I particularly loved the humour in this book. Kelly's compassion and intelligence jumps out of every page. A uniquely Australian tale told with respect and understanding. If you are a die hard romantic like me, you will love it.
Kelly
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kim Kelly doesn't just tell a story - she immerses her reader in another life. I think what I love most about her books is that the historic detail in her novels never feels forced, but rather the setting appears naturally around characters who quickly become friends.

Lady Bird & The Fox had me laughing aloud a few times because some bits are just plain funny. Despite the moments of brevity, this is certainly not a light read. At times it's actually quite an uncomfortable story, reminding us of
G.S. Johnston
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lady Bird & The Fox, Kim Kelly takes the reader along the roads and by-ways, deep into the dusty west of 1860s New South Wales. The gold rush was in full, glittering swing. Towns and populations swelled with hope, new money, new life, new possibilities. But in all this colonial newness, the imperial still reigned. Into this setting, two outsiders with disparate lives and aspirations are thrown together. The stage is set for a wild, enjoyable ride. ...more
Mrs.
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book (from NetGalley). All thoughts and opinions are my own.

This was a great novel! I wasn't sure what to expect, but this one delivered quite a handful. A quest type venture, longing, and unexpected obstacles fill the days and nights of Annie and Jem. What a lovely tale of redemption and acceptance in the tempest of racism that was (and still is) Australia. Thank you to NetGalley and Kim Kelly for an eye opening lesson on the current stat
marlin1
This is my first Kim Kelly book but I’m not sure about it. The premise of the book did appeal but for some reason I failed to be really enticed with it. Which did surprise me, as a number of my Goodreads friends rated it very highly.
For me I think it was the narration, I felt it was a bit simplistic and I didn’t ever really feel drawn into the characters. I also felt the alternating chapters between Jem and Annie didn’t have much of a ‘different voice’ and I often found myself skimming.
I’m obvio
Lisa Walker
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such an enjoyable story. Annie and Jem are unique and loveable characters and the story is a fascinating and occasionally disturbing insight into Australian history. I was sorry to finish.
Michael Burge
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like Bonnie and Clyde, Thelma and Louise and any other team of buddies you'd care to name, the central characters in Kim Kelly's 'Lady Bird & The Fox' get caught up in a series of incidents that quickly spiral beyond their control.

It's a familiar journey in popular culture, and Kelly's set-up in this Australian goldrush tale hits all the marks; although right from the get-go readers will be under no illusion that this story contains several remarkable points of difference.

Heroine Annie is a mixe
Mary
Jan 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
This story is boring to me. I realized that I have read it before and nothing has improved! Set in Australia, a young woman sets out on her own after the death of her father, who previously was one of those sent there from England for prison punishment.
A.M.G. ☮Hippie/Fantasia☮
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aussie reads
Rating: 3.7 / 5

For the most part, this was a good read. Original, witty, charming, and overall pleasant and enjoyable. The story follows the adventure of Annie Bird and Jeremy Fox, she a half-Aborigine who's left alone in the world following the death of her father and so decides to search for her grandfather, and he a Jewish rich boy who's frivolous and flamboyant but an optimistic and likable fellow.

The personalities of both Annie and Jem are distinct, though exact opposites. She's the respons
Davina
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The idea of my never having met an Aborigine before suddenly seems the most crushing, dreadful fact - in this, that was once their uninterrupted country."

Pheww this book!
I've loved it from the first sentence. And it only got better and better (until the end). First off: Kim's writing style is absolutely lovely. It's fresh, quick, fiery and always with a hint of humor. The alternating between Annie's and Jem's perspective was energetic and enrichened the plot very much. Everything was so anti-cl
Kayla
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 ⭐️

I had to pause reading this while I was doing some readathons but I’m glad I got back into it!

My goodness this book was wonderful. I loved it so much 😭❤️
Many marked pages and highlighted passages for my favourite spots and sentences.
Jem is gorgeous and my favourite kind of misguided and misunderstood character. But I love him 😍

Everything about this book was fantastic ! I love history and I love the Australian countryside.
Kim did a great way of describing it and how history is a mess becau
Monique Mulligan
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lady Bird and the Fox by Kim Kelly is one of the best historical fiction titles I’ve read in a long time, a claim boosted by the familiarity I felt with the setting (not far from where I grew up). It’s rich in description, passionate in the telling, and immersive as a reading experience.

Annie and Jem are terrific characters with a sassy spark that had me willing them to get their acts together as the story moved on. I laughed, I wiped away a tear or two, but most of all, Kelly got me thinking a
Polly Krize
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the relationship between these 2 very relatable characters, Annie Bird and Jem Fox. Orphan Annie Bird, must make her way to the goldfields of late 1860s New South Wales in an attempt to find her grandfather. Encountering Jem Fox after being robbed, she is now in uncharted waters, although they have the common bond of wanting to get back home, but not much else (for now). Readable and well written.
Deb
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This was a thoroughly enjoyable novel set in 1868 in Colonial Australia. Our history is for the most part full of violent, dark and disturbing events, but Kim Kelly is able to balance this with the romance between Jem and Annie.
This novel is a witty, charming and at times unpredictable story that kept me interested right until the end.
Daniella
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
A clean romance with a nice touch if history and great characters, I enjoyed Annie and Jem's story. The adventure is solid, and the romance is a lovely slow burn. It's great to get to know Annie and Jem better as the story progresses. I highly recommend this book for both romance readers and fans of history. This is a voluntary review of an advance reader copy.
Tanya
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Australian history brought to life by incredible characters and perfect prose. Loved it.
Sallieann Thompson
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story which I loved so much. This book gives you the real story of 1860's Australian history
Kim Russell
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable

I loved the two voices in this novel, which started as an adventure in the outback and ended as a satisfying love story. I wanted to shout hooray!
Diana
Nov 30, 2019

• The Other Bennet Sister
  • The Grass is Greener
  • The Woman in the Green Dress
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • The Spitfire Girls
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • 食戟のソーマ 8 [Shokugeki no Souma 8] (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma, #8)
  • 食戟のソーマ 4 [Shokugeki no Souma 4] (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma, #4)
  • 食戟のソーマ 9 [Shokugeki no Souma 9] (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma, #9)
  • Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Vol. 1
  • 食戟のソーマ 6 [Shokugeki no Souma 6] (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma, #6)
  • 食戟のソーマ 10 [Shokugeki no Souma 10] (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma, #10)
  • 食戟のソーマ 7 [Shokugeki no Souma 7] (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma, #7)
  • 食戟のソーマ 5 [Shokugeki no Souma 5] (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma, #5)
  • Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Vol. 3
  • 春待つ僕ら 1 [Haru Matsu Bokura 1] (Waiting for Spring, #1)
  • Defy the Worlds (Constellation, #2)
  • Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma, Vol. 2
‘colourful, evocative and energetic’ – Sydney Morning Herald
‘impressive research’ – Daily Telegraph
‘Why can’t more people write like this?’ – The Age

Kim Kelly is the author of ten novels, including the acclaimed Wild Chicory and bestselling The Blue Mile. Her historical fictions are compelling and whimsical, and driven by strong characters of all kinds.

With warmth and lyrical charm, she leads her