Start by marking “A Tale of Two Murders” as Want to Read:
A Tale of Two Murders

A Tale of Two Murders

(A Dickens of a Crime #1)

On the eve of the Victorian era, London has a new sleuth . . .

In the winter of 1835, young Charles Dickens is a journalist on the rise at the Evening Chronicle. Invited to dinner at the estate of the newspaper's co-editor, Charles is smitten with his boss's daughter, vivacious nineteen-year-old Kate Hogarth. They are having the best of times when a scream shatters the
Published July 31st 2018 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about A Tale of Two Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tale of Two Murders

Start your review of A Tale of Two Murders
Linda
"A very little key will open a very heavy door." (Charles Dickens)

Just the right pressure and just the right persistence can shed light on even the darkest of situations.

January of 1835 in Brompton, outside of London, ushers in the New Year and adds the age-old desire for an Epiphany celebration. Families dine at their tables whether in abundance or in simple appreciation of even the most meager of a shared meal. Tradition reigns.

Heather Redmond introduces us to a twenty-two year old Charles Di
OLT
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
(I guess one could say this was neither the best nor worst of reads.)
I had great expectations when I chose this book. As a big fan of neo-Victorian crime novels, I couldn't resist. Although there have been a few historical mysteries in the past with Dickens as protagonist ( Dan Simmons' DROOD and William Palmer's Mr. Dickens series come to mind), I guess you can never have too many.

However, this Redmond book may have been written with the best of intention but not with the best of execution. It
thereadingowlvina (Elvina Ulrich)
The year is 1835 and the young Charles Dickens is a journalist with the Evening Chronicles newspaper. One evening, while dining at George Hogarth's estate, his editor, they hear a scream and rush over to the Lugoson's home. A pleasant evening turns into a dismal one, when they find the young miss Christiana lying unconscious on the floor and by the next morning, she passed away. Charles later found out that exactly a year ago, a young woman also passed away under mysterious circumstances. A mere ...more
Melissa Rose
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first came across this book on NetGalley, I decided then and there that A Tale of Two Murders was a book that I needed to read.

I am a huge fan of Victorian Era mystery novels such as The Murdoch Mystery Series and the Dody McCleland series, so I figured that I would love this brand new book featuring Charles Dickens as the main protagonist. I was not wrong,

I enjoyed every minute of this book. So much so that I purchased the audiobook to accompany the text.

I loved that the mystery was reas
nikkia neil
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks Kensington Books for this ARC. All opinions are my own.

Redmond gives us a tale for the ages. Loved her version of Dickens and Kate. As much a murder mystery as a romance and foundation for further stores- its just right.
The Nerd Daily
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Noha Hashem

A Tale of Two Murders shows us a 22-year-old Charles Dickens as an aspiring journalist at The Evening Chronicle as he tries to unravel the mystery behind two possibly connected murders.

The book starts off with Charles having dinner with his boss’s family and enjoying the attentions of Kate Hogarth, his boss’s daughter and also his future wife, when they hear a piercing scream coming from the neighbouring house. Charles, Kate, and Mr.
Clare O'Beara
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this atmospheric murder mystery starring the young reporter Charles Dickens and the lady he later married.
While I noted references to Dickens' later works, they are not delivered in a cutesy kind of way, just naturally arising remarks.
A winter dinner party is disrupted by screams from the neighbouring house, where a young woman has been stricken by a mysterious malady. Dickens investigates, and finds links to a poisoning on the same date the previous year.

I like that the se
K.
Trigger warnings: murder, vomit, poisoning, domestic violence, implications of rape (in the past).

I was SUPER EXCITED when I found out about this because I'm complete and utter trash for Charles Dickens. And having him investigate a murder? SOLD.

Unfortunately, I couldn't quite engage with the story in this one. I mean, I read it. I didn't hate it. But I never felt completely hooked. I pulled out my phone to check Twitter more than I usually would while reading a book. Etcetera.

I think perhaps
Anna Lee Huber
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Redmond deftly transforms a young Charles Dickens and his future wife, Kate Hogarth, into Victorian sleuths in this first installment of a new series. With meticulous attention to historical details and the known elements of Dickens’s life, A Tale of Two Murders unfolds a complex mystery that cunningly explores how Dickens might have been inspired to write the plot of his most well-known book, A Tale of Two Cities. Sharp, incisive, and delightfully twisty. I’m sure I won’t be the only reader exc ...more
Anna
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A murder mystery with Charles Dickens as young man playing detective. The mystery is decent, plenty of suspects and red herrings. Dickens makes an awkward detective because he doesn't really have a good reason to be one and Redmond handled that awkwardness well. Redmond seems to have done a lot of historical research and the detail she uses makes the world come alive, but sometimes it is too much and makes the story drag.
Elizabeth Lapp
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads_wins
I LOVED this. It totally reminded me of those awesome murder mystery dinners, 'who done it' kind of story.

Also, I hate to admit, but I have never read anything by Charles Dickens, and this book really has given me some awesome insight about him and his writings, I definitely have added his novels to my TBR list!
Cat Tutt
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by two trusted sources, so I decided I should give it a read. I requested it from the library and was the first person to get one of the copies when it came in, which I always love.

It's not listed as a cozy mystery, though it reads somewhat like a historical cozy mystery. I'm a cozy fanatic, so that gave the book extra brownie points for me. I also love historical fiction, which this one primarily was. The settings were great, I loved all the characters, and I th
Sarah  Loves Books and tea
Historical mystery

This was a an intriguing historical mystery full of twists and turns. The story follows a very young Charles Dickens as he and his future wife Kate investigate the suspicious deaths of two young ladies a year apart. I loved the Victorian London setting and the author obviously did her research well as there was so much historical detail. The mystery element was really good as well and I would definitely recommend this if you like books set during the Victorian era.
Rebecca
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I came across this book in the new releases section of the library and grabbed it based solely on the title and cover. It wasn't on the same level as some of my favorite historical mysteries, but it has potential. I found the characters more entertaining than the mystery, but it did not meet my great expectations for a young Charles Dickens.

I will likely try the next installment.
Dianne Freeman
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love it when an historical mystery really draws me back to another time. In A Tale of Two Murders, Heather Redmond achieves total immersion into Victorian London. In this first book of her new series, a young Charles Dickens and his future wife, Kate Hogarth set out to unravel a complex mystery involving the deaths of two young women, one year apart. The characters are believable and engaging, their actions true to the era, and the mystery compelling. I enjoyed this story and look forward to m ...more
Jo
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
~Personal review~
This was a good romp through early victorian England. I liked it and I’ll read the sequel when it comes out in June but I wasn’t wowed by it.
I think the author could have ended it about 150 pages in but she kept going and stretched it out needlessly.
Overall, it was well done and enjoyable, just a little dull at times.
~Heads up~
Some swearing
Promiscuity
Literary Soirée
A wonderfully imagined historical mystery with Charles Dickens and his future wife as sleuths. Set in 1830s London and as atmospheric and twisty as all get out! 5/5

Thanks to the author, Kensington Books and NetGalley for the review copy.

#AtaleOfTwoMurders #NetGalley
diane mccardel
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
It looked very promising, but was super disappointing. Clunky and dull.
Benjamin Thomas
The year is 1835 and Charles Dickens, age 22 and a rising young journalist, is having dinner one evening with his boss, William Hogarth (the newspaper’s co-editor), along with the boss’s intriguing 19-year-old daughter, Kate. A scream from the neighbor’s house intrudes upon their delightful evening and when the three rush to determine the source, they discover a Miss Christiana Lugoson lying unconscious. In the morning she is dead. Soon Charles learns of a similar death, exactly one year prior a ...more
Lesa
Heather Redmond launches a new mystery series with Charles Dickens as the amateur sleuth. Dickens, who is working as a journalist, with his eye on a writing career, is a fascinating character in A Tale of Two Murders. It appears that the series will be called "A Dickens of a Crime".

Dickens is at dinner with the Hogarths, his editor's family, when they hear women screaming. Dickens, Hogarth, and the eldest Hogarth daughter, Kate, rush next door where a widow lives alone with her two children. The
Waverly Fitzgerald
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I heard from a friend that Redmond really knew her Victorian period and I thought that couldn't possibly be true since I've read so many Victorian mysteries that get it all wrong. So I was delighted by her impressive knowledge of food, transportation, street life, clothing, etc.
And the Epiphany cake that opens the first scene! Yum! I've been writing about seasonal holiday traditions for a long time and had never heard of this version of the celebratory cake.
She also does a great job of situatin
Ioanna
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it

London,1835. Young Christiana Lugoson feels unwell, and in a matter of hours she perishes, No one is sure why; the girl was healthy and everything seemed fine with her. But, as the story unravels, everyone will sound find that a lot of people could have been involved.

Charles Dickens, a then young journalist and aspiring author, is having dinner with his editor's family when piercing screams are h
Tammy Heitmeyer
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: physical-books
This book I feel is just ok. The characters were well developed and three dimensional in my mind's eye. The author did a good job incorporating enough backstory in just the right places to keep the reader in the know. There was a lot of back and forth of who did it and why. But the ending is why I gave it 3 stars. The author just didn't bring it all together in the end. It was cleaned up neat and tidy for William and Julie, but not for Charles and Kate, who were by far, the main characters as th ...more
Judy
I enjoyed this novel using Charles Dickens and his future wife as the amateur sleuths when a next door neighbor dies in agony during a holiday feast. As they investigate, other deaths seem to be similarly suspicious. There were certainly lots of suspects (too many?) and familial entanglements before the murder is solved when the murderer tries again one too many times. I found the descriptions of life in London in the 1800's beguiling and the relationship between Dickens and his future wife swee ...more
Linda Romer
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I enjoyed reading A Tale of Two Murders. I just love Historical Fiction and Mysteries. I loved the setting in London during the Victorian era. The young Charles Dickens was very persistent when trying to figure out who committed the two murders. he was aided by Kate Hogarth his boss's daughter whom he is totally smitten with. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in A Dickens of a Crime Series.

I give A Tale of Two Murders 4 stars for its interesting read.
I would recommend this book to His
Tatiana  Coțofan
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I usually like the transposition of writers into characters. The problem with this book is, as I see it, that when writing a book about Dickens, one should not try writing like Dickens. Obviously, the author of this book is not Dickens and her attempt to mimic his style makes this book awfully boring, if not worse.
Pallavi
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, arc
****4.0****
I found it difficult to get into it for the first 25% of the book. I found the narration hasty when the story started, especially the first death part, which is still a bit dull in my mind. But it is a good mystery book and a nice plot which after 25% kept me busy.
Amy
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A Tale of Two Murders, book one of the A Dickens of a Crime series, is a good read. Looking forward to more in the series.
3 1/2 stars.
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, netgalley
3.5/5 Enjoyable ARC from NetGalley
Nichole
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I was delighted to receive a Goodreads giveaway copy of this book. A Tale of Two Murders is a good mystery that kept me guessing. I enjoyed the historical aspects taken from Charles Dickens and the time period, though I would recommend not researching too closely into Dickens and Catherine Hogarth as it might accidentally darken their relationship in the novel for you a bit.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Knife in the Fog (Margaret Harkness and Arthur Conan Doyle #1)
  • A Gentlewoman's Guide to Murder (A Gentlewoman's Guide to Murder #1)
  • And Dangerous to Know (Rosalind Thorne Mystery #3)
  • Ask Me No Questions (A Lady Dunbridge Mystery #1)
  • Murder at Ochre Court (Gilded Newport Mysteries #6)
  • Tell Me No Lies (Lady Dunbridge)
  • Death of a New American (Jane Prescott, #2)
  • The Disappearance of Alistair Ainsworth (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries #3)
  • A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery #2)
  • The Vanishing Man (Charles Lenox Mysteries #0.2)
  • The Hangman's Secret (Victorian Mystery, #3)
  • A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #1)
  • Murder at Morrington Hall (A Stella and Lyndy Mystery, #1)
  • A Murderous Marriage (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery #4)
  • Stabbed in the Baklava (Kebab Kitchen Mystery #2)
  • One Feta in the Grave (Kebab Kitchen Mystery #3)
  • Death Comes To Kurland Hall (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #3)
  • Blood Is Blood (Barker & Llewelyn, #10)
Heather Redmond is an author of commercial fiction and also writes as Heather Hiestand. First published in mystery, she took a long detour through romance before returning. Though her last known British ancestor departed London in the 1920s, she is a committed anglophile, Dickens devotee, and lover of all things nineteenth century.

She has lived in Illinois, California, and Texas, and now resides i

A Dickens of a Crime (2 books)
  • Grave Expectations