Start by marking “A Measure of Darkness (Clay Edison, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Measure of Darkness (Clay Edison, #2)

A Measure of Darkness

(Clay Edison #2)

It's been a busy year for Alameda County Coroner's Deputy Clay Edison. He's solved a decades-old crime and redeemed an innocent man--earning himself a suspension in the process. Things are getting serious with his girlfriend. And his brother's fresh out of prison, bringing with him a great big basket of crazy.

Then the call comes in the middle of the night. It's a bad one.
Published July 31st 2018 by Ballantine Books

Kaceey
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Meet Clay Edison. He works as a Deputy for the coroners office. A tough and sometimes gruesome job. But someone’s got to do it. And the icing on the cake? It typically means being called up at all hours of the night to investigate yet another tragedy somewhere in the Bay Area.
Clay is an extremely likable character that gives you full access into both his personal and professional life.

Wheeee! A late night neighborhood party! Invites via social media to all who are connected through their fee
Matt
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Jonathan and Jesse Kellerman return with another successful collaborative effort as they continue their new series. This comes after a disastrous effort that many readers still remember. A late-night shooting outside an Oakland home brings Clay Edison to the scene. An investigator for the Coroner’s Office, Edison spends much of his time trying to locate the next of kin while also working to better understand the rationale, paralleling some of the work undertaken by the police. While the deaths t ...more
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Dry but good story. 3.5 Stars
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the first time that I have read a book by this author, compilation of authors, I should say. I love cop fiction and suspense thrillers so I was really looking forward to this one.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the suspense portion of the story, mainly in that there was little to none. This is a crime solving, cop fiction story that was quite good. The author has good story to tell and it was engaging and interesting. I loved the old
Monnie
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
After I finished the debut book in this series, "Crime Scene," last year, I knew I'd keep going. And sure enough - thanks to an advance review copy from the publisher - I got my chance at the follow-up. It is, I believe, better than the first, thus signaling that the father-son author combo may have found its groove. What it lacks in down-and-dirty action is more than compensated for by interesting, likable characters, a good story and expertly turned phrases.

At its heart, though, it's a fairly
CL
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love both authors but I can now say I also love them as a writing team. I have read all of Jonathan Kellerman's fiction and some of Jesse's but I will read all of the Clay Edison books as they come out. I enjoy him on the same level as the Alex Delaware character. Clay Edison is the morgue worker who cannot let something go when the details of a death do not quite add up and during a block party shooting when a body is discovered in the backyard shed as more and more details are revealed somet ...more
Kathi Defranc
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a good read for those of us who enjoy police procedurals and crime stories. It kept my interest but was very quiet, I like a little more action. We meet up with Clay Edison, a Deputy at a coroner's office in California. In the middle of the night he is called to a shooting. It is on Almond Street where most residents are black, however a white woman who says she is an artist purchases a big house and has been having parties with a DJ and cash bar. A fight breaks out, and with people eve ...more
Jen
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A Measure of Darkness (Clay Edison #2)

Last year I read Crime Scene, the first in this series in which father and son collaborate and liked it very much. (reviewed here)

Long a fan of the Alex Delaware novels by Jonathan Kellerman and having enjoyed the first in the Clay Edison series, I genuinely looked forward to A Measure of Darkness.

I'm sorry to say that this one didn't do much for me-- in characterization, plot, or writing. In some places it seemed to try to hard, in others, not hard enough
Dave
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers, read-have
Alameda County Coroner's Deputy Clay Edison caught a busy night as an attempt at neighborhood gentrification goes awry, leaving mayhem and disaster enough to shock even the hardest souls. This is a slow, quiet, methodical story about how Clay and the rest of law enforcement attempt to piece together what the hell happened and who it happened to. Especially difficult is the family notifications for people without the identification and who weren't born the way they now present themselves. To top ...more
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
A Measure of Darkness is the 2nd book in the Clay Edision series by collaborative Father and Son authors Jonathan & Jesse Kellerman . The series takes place in Northern California, centered around Oakland. The story opens up shortly after the close of Crime Scene, with what appears to be a request to quiet down a neighborhood party, but turns out to be far more.

The overall story has lots of possibilities, but I felt that the pace was uneven, there were too many characters, and just too much
Donna
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars. Clay Edison, deputy with the coroner's office, gets called to the aftermath of a party where several people are wounded or dead and not all by the gunshots fired. One person, a transgender, was killed when run over by a car and one woman was strangled in the back of the property. Clay thinks the death by strangulation is an oddity and he works with Detective Delilah Nwodo to figure out how this murder fits in.

Let's be clear -- this is a police procedural not an action thriller. Clay
Robin Loves Reading
Please see all of my reviews on my blog at www.robinlovesreading.blogspot.com.

3.5 Stars

Clay Edison, Deputy Sheriff for the Alameda County Coroner's office, has just had a banner year. He solved a decades-old crime and redeemed an innocent man. However, his job was put in jeopardy as he went beyond the bounds of his duties. Things are falling into line again for Clay, and as this novel begins, he receives a call in the middle of the night. Shots were fired at a party and innocent people were kill
Michelle
It appears I may be in the minority with this one. I really enjoyed the first book by this father and son team, so I was looking forward to picking up the second one. Unfortunately I was disappointed but I think this is mainly because of my own issues with some of the writing. I noticed that race comes up a lot with Jonathan Kellerman. Personally if it’s a good story I don’t care I’m reading about purple and green aliens, but this one got to me because of the “black lives matter” issue. I live r ...more
2shay
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Review by 2shay..........

I have had a long running relationship with Alex Delaware, although it’s doubtful that he’s aware. So, I guess the relationship is with an iconic character created by Mr. Jonathan Kellerman. When this book became available on NetGalley I was all over the request button. I was a little disappointed.

Everything I loved about the Alex Delaware novels is missing. Mr. Kellerman brought a certain kind of verve and passion to the Delaware books. This one is actually a fairly mun
Rebecca
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*sigh*

I'm so bummed about this book. The first chapter was genius, money in the bank: a gripping hook with carefully chosen details that made me care about the characters and invest in the story.

So much for that investment. Each ensuing chapter squandered that genius until I found myself near the end of the book, fishing around in the bottom of the barrel for what turned out to be nothing. I skimmed the last few chapters. Who skims the last act of a thriller?

It was all just so boring. There was
Joyce
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fascinating five star read. Clay, a coroner in Oakland, is called out along with his coworkers to a shooting that occurred at a pay your way party in a neighborhood that was gradually being regentrified. It is a horrible scene with a number a people shot, one run over and a child accidentally killed in his home by a stray bullet. Clay also learns of another murder victim hidden in a shed in the back yard. The plot is remarkably complex and as interesting as it is complicated. The charact ...more
Amanda
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jonathon Kellerman. I have read multiple books by him in the past. So, when I saw this on NetGalley I knew I had to try to get this book. I did enjoy this book but I found myself having a hard time focusing or being engrossed in the characters. It was a decent read if you are into these kinds of books. It just felt like there was something missing. Maybe it’s because I haven’t read the first book in the series. I’m going to give this book 3 stars. I will be reading the first book in this ...more
Mal Warwick
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Kellerman family is a writing phenomenon. Papa Jonathan has written 33 thrillers in his Alex Delaware series as well as at least 14 other novels and five nonfiction books. Mama Faye is the author of 25 Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus mysteries plus eight other novels. Their son, Jesse, has written a total of 12 novels, four of them collaborations with his father. The most recent production of the Kellerman father-son team is A Measure of Darkness, the second novel featuring Oakland Coroner's D ...more
Pat Pullum
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have read previous books by the Kellermans, but this one did not do anything for me. I found the storyline difficult to follow and it did not seem to flow.
Deputy Coroner Clay Edison tries to solve a crime that has taken place outside an old Victorian home in Oakland. There was a wild party and then gunshots and chaos and bodies, but one body in particular did not seem to fit in with the other carnage. Clay goes to great lengths to find out who this person is and to be able to inform the family
BookAddict
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Clay Edison is a conscientious deputy with the Coroner's office and gets called in the middle of the night to a shooting with multiple victims. In addition to trying to maintain and move forward his relationship with his girlfriend, his brother is out of prison and back in his life, and Clay's bum knee has a way of slowing him down, especially in a foot chase with criminal suspects.

I’ve been a Kellerman fan for years so I was eager to read an advance copy of this book when I heard about it throu
Diane Hernandez
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Five people are killed after a house party gets lethal in Measure of Darkness.

A confrontation between neighbors kills three including one of the combatants. A six-year-old is hit in his bed from crossfire. In the ensuing uproar, another party guest is run down in the street by a panicked young girl. But what of the girl found hidden in a shed strangled?

Coroner investigator, Clay Edison, is trying to determine the former name of the car victim to find her next of kin. Born a male and living on t
Peggy Jaeger
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clay Edison, An Alameda Country Coroner’s Deputy is called to a shooting in the middle of the night right before Christmas. Several dead on the street and one lone girl, a Jane Doe, found dead in a shed. Her injuries are nothing like the gun shot victims, so was she part of the spree, or another, different killing? Is it even a murder at all, but a simple overdose?

Those questions plaque Clay, who’s the kind of guy who can’t let anything go.
Working with one of the department’s detectives to try a
BookNerdsBrainDump
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Short Take: Interesting, but not exciting.

I’ve seen a lot of memes that end in “...there are two kinds of people”, and I have found a new one to add: People who like mysteries, and people who like thrillers. There’s a TON of overlap in the genres, of course. They’ve practically become synonymous over the years, to the point that “Mystery/Thriller” is one category, and many readers don’t even realize that they are, in fact, two entirely different things.

Which is where A Measure of Darkness comes
Joyce
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Deputy Coroner Clay Edison gets a phone call in the middle of the night. There has been a shooting at a big party. Little does he know what awaits him. Partygoers were shot, innocent bystanders were shot and a six-year old child sleeping in a basement was also shot and killed.

Clay and his team and several police are at the scene for hours. When he is just about ready to head back to base, he gets a call from a young police officer. He found another body. But this one is partially hidden
Steve
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Measure of Darkness is the second installment in the Jonathan Kellerman and son Jesse Kellerman’s Clay Edison series. Each entry is better than the last. In this case Coroner Investigator Edison and his team investigate a series of killings occurring at a West Oakland, California party. Several victims are dead and there are numerous causes of death. It is a gruesome scene that requires countless hours of investigation.
The story follows Clay as he investigates the victims as well as possible
T
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Clay Edison, coroner's deputy.....at the scene of a large neighborhood party, Clay is called in to help with all the casualties. He's working the dead girl in the street, hit by a car. Wait. Is it a girl?

While taking one last tour of the site, he comes upon another body, stuffed into a shed in the messy massive back yard.

And so begins his search to find the next of kins to notify. Only it isn't too straightforward and his tenacity has him discreetly helping the detective assigned to the case.
Chris Witkowski
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The addition of author son, Jesse, to Jonathan Kellerman’s repertoire, is a plus for fans of police procedurals. I have enjoyed Kellerman, Sr.’s stories for years, but I would never really say the writing was all that skilled. This novel, and the previous collaboration, combines some terrific writing along with a mystery that kept me guessing til the end. And both the Kellermans are skilled in conveying the often long, exhausting efforts that go into solving cases. It’s not the speed and glamour ...more
Jill
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series featuring Clay Edison. He is back and it seems his job is featured more this time and he has a new girlfriend, plus his family, specifically his brother, is playing a more prominent role. Once again he is fighting for the underdog which this time is a victim from the party crime scene that doesn’t seemed to be part of what happened there. His never give up attitude brings an unexpected conclusion to the woman’s murder.
Don Gorman
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
(2 1/2). I am going to mark this one up a notch because Clay Edison is such an engaging protagonist. The story is decent, a little out there but what do you expect when the main character is a cop in the coroner's office. We have the usual family dysfunctions and a school setting that feels like it could only be in the Bay Area. Regardlesss, this is a nice, little, entertaining journey. Good stuff.
Gina Moltz
Great story and I loved the main character. But I found there were so many other characters and delelooing leads that I got confused at times! Good think I am not a detective. Or maybe I should just take notes when I read this genre!
Judy
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Another Clay Edison book, this one a little better than first one. A shooting at a house leaves several dead but an extra Jane Doe Clay needs to find out about.
  • The Hesitation Cut
  • The Stone of Destiny: A Sherlock Holmes Adventure
  • Walking Shadows (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #25)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Three Twisted Stories: Go Deep, Necessary Women, Remmy Rothstein Toes the Line
  • Ninth and Nowhere
  • The Boy (Broussard and Fourcade, #2)
  • The Secret Partner (Paul Madriani, #15)
  • A Conspiracy of Bones (Temperance Brennan #19)
  • The Night Window (Jane Hawk #5)
  • The Chef
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Nightwork (Dave Brandstetter, #7)
  • Mission Critical (Gray Man, #8)
  • The Blue Mile
  • Day of Vengeance (Dorothy Martin #15)
  • Cave of Bones (Leaphorn & Chee #22)
  • Pike Place
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t

Clay Edison (3 books)
  • Crime Scene (Clay Edison, #1)
  • Half Moon Bay (Clay Edison, #3)