Start by marking “Runaway Heiress (Dare to Defy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Runaway Heiress (Dare to Defy, #1)

Runaway Heiress

(Dare to Defy #1)

When a runaway heiress runs into trouble, she may end up exactly where she belongs…

Brainy and college-educated, American heiress Alexandra Atherton will do anything to avoid marriage to the English peer her mother has chosen for her—even abandon the life of privilege she's always known. But as her escape goes horribly wrong, Alexandra must invent a new identity to gain th
Kindle Edition
Published June 12th 2018 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Runaway Heiress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway Heiress

Renae
Runaway Heiress is a Brontë-inspired romance that combines the best of the secret identity and master/servant tropes.

If you had asked me, prior to reading Syrie James’s first romance novel, whether or not I particularly liked books about wealthy American heiress hiding their identity or Victorian governesses-turned-countesses, I probably would have said no. However, I read the back copy for Runaway Heiress and was instantly intrigued, and lucky for me the book itself lived up to the promise of
Christina
I am a fan of Syrie James’ work. Was excited for this first in a series of American heiresses in Victorian England. James skillfully builds tension and introduces her likeable characters. The story picked up significantly once we moved on to the country and estate where James created a fast-paced 'romp' through a historical Romance. I loved it! Swoonworthy romantic hero and completely entertaining. Look forward to the rest in the series.
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Leaving the Regency Era Behind!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I’ll read whatever Syrie James writes. After adoring her biographical fiction novels about Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë, I did not hesitate to read her two vampire-inspired novels, even though vampires were not (and are still not) my thing! And wow, did I love those epic and passionate tales! Now once again, Ms. James is bringing me into new territory – a Victorian-era romance set against the fascinating backdrop of E
Laurel
When “Dollar Princess” Alexandra Atherton dares to defy her scheming mother’s plan to marry her off to a foppish British peer, she decides that her only chance at freedom is a total break from the restrictive confines of her privileged life, becoming a runaway heiress. Her ill-thought-out escape from London goes terribly wrong at every turn until she meets a handsome young man, Thomas Carlyle, who hires her as governess to his younger sisters. Unbeknownst to each other, they are both living doub ...more
Aly
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

London, 1888.

What's a girl to do when she doesn't want to be married to the vile man her mother will force her to wed ? Well this girl choose to escape. Unfortunately for this American heiress, trouble seem to follow her everywhere and before she can board the train direction her home country, she's robbed, assailed and almost trampled on.

When the Earl of Longford find a stranger passed out on the road he cannot let her there and bring her to the boardinghouse he's currently living. They'll
Tabetha Waite
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From historical facts to a touching story of an American heiress and an English Earl who is trying to save his estate, I love how these characters grew throughout this story.
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, victorian

I’ve enjoyed historical fiction novels from Syrie James in the past and was delighted to have a chance to review her new historical romance, Runaway Heiress. Runaway Heiress is a Victorian historical romance involving the American invasion of heiresses to England trying to snag a titled husband. Think Cora from Downton Abbey or all the ladies in The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton.

Alexandra Atherton has attended college in America and wants an independent life full of learning. Her mother has other
Crystal
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I read more historical romance, I'm starting to discover elements that I like. For instance, I realized that I love a good hidden identity romance. Not all that surprising since I also enjoy that in contemporary romance. I'm also loving a governess heroine. Again, not surprising since Jane Eyre is my absolute favorite classic romance. Put those two together and apparently I'm as happy as a clam.

I enjoyed Runaway Heiress. It was a fun and light historical romance with lovable characters, witt
marieno
3.5 stars. To enjoyed my reading, I had to ignore certains things that didn't work for me. (Alexandra is too progressive for the time, (even if I approve) or the fact that sometimes I felt like I was drowing in words and had difficulties to stay concentrated.

What I liked is that the MC met very fast. Both are not what they say they are but Thomas will soon open himself to Alexandra who's not going to do the same thing for him. But both will developped feelings for the other.

"I am American, [...]
Carole (in Canada)
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance
As a huge fan of Syrie James' novels, I knew I had to try her new venture into historical romance. I wasn't disappointed. This was a fun, fast-paced and flirty romance with sizzle.

The heroine, Alexandra Atherton, is a feisty American heiress that her mother insists must marry a titled Englishman. Her mother's choice is abhorrent to her, so what does she decide to do? Run back home! As it turns out, it was harder than she imagined and 'Murphy's Law' came into play.

But who wouldn't want to be res
Lori Radulovich
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved Runaway Heiress. I found it had more depth than many other romance novels. When I first started reading, the story moved fast and was very engaging. Lord Carlyle’s personification reminded me of Mr. Darcy at the end of Pride & Prejudice—very loving and romantic. I was also so happy with the book that I didn’t even need an epilogue ☺ Truly! The story was also refreshing in that I hadn’t read a storyline like it before, and I have read a lot of romance novels! Lastly, the au ...more
Katie
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know that I’ve mentioned multiple times how much I love runaway heiress/hidden identity novels, but oh-my-gosh I love them and I want to scream it from the rooftops. Runaway Heiress by Syrie James is no exception to that rule. In fact, it’s even better because both the hero and the heroine are operating under a case of hidden identity. That might be the first time I’ve read a runaway heiress story with that unique of a premise.

Sometimes in historical romance novels the women are timid and naïv
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Runaway Heiress Syrie James is the First book in the Dare to Defy series. This is the story of Alexandra Atherton and Thomas Carlyle, the Earl of Longford.
Alexandra is a smart women who knows she doesn't want to marry the man her mother has picked out for her. So she goes off on her own assuming another identity and ends up being a governess of sorts to Thomas's sisters. Thomas too has his secrets but what they both can't keep secret for long is how they feel about the other!
This was a fun and
Rebecca Gilson
Loved it! Loved the characters and the storyline. Have read most of Syries books and love them! What a talented author!
Bethany Averie
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm picky when it comes to Historical novels. I don't read many of them, but I wanted to read this one because it was different than most out there--not strictly Regency, and a bit of adventure thrown in, with Historical accuracy an important factor in making the story work. I enjoyed the foray into the whole Americans going to England to marry a title and the English nobles needing the heiresses to fix up their estates. I had seen a documentary about this not too long ago, so it was fun to read ...more
Sorsharoxs
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put this book down. Like all Syrie’s books...a page turner.
Lynsay
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story with amazing characters. Some surprise and some predictable parts.
Jessica Grogan
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RTC
Meredith
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A witty historical with a Jane Eyre-esque plot.
Amy Starzinski
Jul 13, 2018
B D THOMPSON
Sep 07, 2018
Jessica
rated it did not like it
Nov 15, 2018
Jan 03, 2019
Jo Anne
Aug 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • Secrets in the Snow
  • Hidden
  • The Dance Before Christmas (The Lady Travelers Society, #2.5)
  • All the Appearance of Goodness (Given Good Principles #3)
  • His By Christmas (Hamilton Sisters, #5)
  • Bewitched, Body and Soul: Miss Elizabeth Bennet
  • The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #2)
  • Pride and Prometheus
  • A Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal (The Lords of Worth, #2.5)
  • Beauty and the Rake  (The Rookery Rogues, #3)
  • A Very Austen Christmas
  • The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men (Jane Austen's Fighting Men, #1)
  • A Holiday by Gaslight
  • Blue Nude
  • The Orchard
  • The Three Emperors (Ethan Gage, #7)
  • The Lord of Illusion (The Elven Lords, #3)
Syrie James is the bestselling author of a dozen critically acclaimed novels of historical fiction, historical romance, contemporary romance, & YA. Syrie is passionate about strong women, sexy heroes, and books that keep you turning pages long into the night! Her books have been translated into eighteen languages.

Syrie's name, which was her mother's invention, is pronounced just like the iPhon

Dare to Defy (3 books)
  • Summer of Scandal (Dare to Defy, #2)
  • Duke Darcy's Castle (Dare to Defy, #3)