Start by marking “The Simplicity of Cozy: Hygge, Lagom & the Energy of Everyday Pleasures” as Want to Read:
The Simplicity of Cozy: Hygge, Lagom & the Energy of Everyday Pleasures

The Simplicity of Cozy: Hygge, Lagom & the Energy of Everyday Pleasures

Connect with the Spiritual Energy of Coziness for More Joy, Contentment, and Satisfaction

Make cozy your way of life with this inspiring guide on connecting to the positive energy of simple, everyday moments. Known around the world as hygge (hoo-ga), lagom (lay-go-m), and other similar terms, cozy and balanced living helps you improve your health, happiness, and spiritualit
Published May 8th 2018 by Llewellyn Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Simplicity of Cozy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Simplicity of Cozy

Bam
DNF, I'm afraid. After about 30%, I decided there was nothing new here for me. Many thanks to NetGalley, the author and publisher for providing me with an arc for my honest opinion.
Randal White
Jan 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.
Rarely have I found a book that I cannot find something good to say about. But, this is one. Talking in circles, never actually making a point, trying instead to mystify the reader with buzzwords and mumbo-jumbo.
For example, "now that doesn't mean you'll never experiences (!) difficulties - you will because some lessons chosen prior to birth are hard....". (Sorry, I'm not aware of lessons that I chose PRIOR to my being born!)
Ano
Girl
Jan 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018

I received a free e-book copy of this title from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Simplicity of Cozy promises to teach its reader how to improve her life by focusing on and tending to coziness and the magic of simple, everyday moments. So far, so good. Unfortunately, after reading carefully the first few chapters and skimming the rest, it seems to me that "coziness" and "hygge" are just concepts the author has added to the book to make it more marketable, along with "minimalism". O
Elliot A
Aug 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was given this ARC by the publisher in return for an honest review.
The biggest difficulty I had with this book was the formatting of the file I was given; the entire text was just one big blob of words, starting with the publisher’s information. I kept flipping back and forth, trying to find the start of the actual book part. It was very confusing.
The book itself begins with a description of the various ideas of “cozy” in different cultures, then it switches abruptly to an exercise for the rea
Merry Love
Jan 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
Well.... this book was not at all what I thought it was going to be from the description. Mindfulness? I love books about that. Being comfortable in smaller spaces? I love that too. This book, not so much.

This book was so frou frou. about "getting in touch with your spiritual self" and finding that bliss of being. The concept isn't awful, but the way it's presented sure was. Her "tips" for achieving this more often are blatantly obvious things like "schedule some me time", "wrap up in a blanket"
Elaine -
Apr 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help
The Simplicity of Cozy just didn't hit the mark for me. I was expecting a self-help book on how to make more room for hygge in my life and how to live a more relaxed Norwegian type lifestyle. I felt like The Simplicity of Cozy wasn't different than the whole host of books on this topic that have popped up. I didn't need the author to tell me that on stressful days I should pick up take out and not cook dinner. I've got that down. I wanted to know how to not let my life get to that point where I' ...more
Sarah Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Cozy is one of my favorite words and feelings. I love the global focus of this book in exploring the emphasis and understanding of cozy around the world. It's very focused on your soul being attuned to the world around you, and a bit new age in that regard. Overall it feels like the author found what's trendy and used a bunch of buzzwords and common concepts to try and create a book about spirituality, but it feels disjointed and flat. The book started strong, but fell apart very quickly in my o ...more
Dianna
Feb 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
I usually try to focus on the positive in my reviews, but I couldn't find much to like in this book. It's a mishmash of hygge and energy healing, with practices from other countries around the world tossed in with no seeming rhyme or reason. It seems to me that the author is mainly interested in energy healing and was trying to use the trend of hygge to sell it.

Skip this one unless you're into energy healing—and maybe even if you are; this book's a bit of a mess!
Edward Gray
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I wasn’t sure what to make if the book initially. I’ve been hearing all about “Hygge” for last year, and how it’s so incredibly life changing from some and total hogwash for others. I decided I would give this book a chance as it explored more than one version of “cozy”.

The book started off a bit slow, and to be honest a bit too “hippie and love” for me. I gave it a chance and continued reading, and I fell in love with it. I’ve been following so many of these practices in my own life over the p
Jess Macallan
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiration
This is a nice little book on how you can incorporate a variety of practices to bring coziness into your life. If you read self-help books, you likely won't learn many new ideas, but you will appreciate how the author focuses on common practices with coziness in mind. I enjoyed learning how different cultures and countries embrace coziness (or similar concepts). Common themes include decluttering, mindfulness, nature, simplicity, connection, and spiritual practices. The chapter on cozin
Kathy Peterman
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the first books I've read about the spirituality of simplicity. Melissa is a great author who walks us through words and states in various cultures such as hygge, lagom and many more to help us find our own unique ways to add coziness to our lives. Coziness is a way of life for many people around the world. It is a frequency connection at a very personal level that can bring about miraculous transformations at your core spiritual essence. It's about making internal and external soulful co ...more
Amanda
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. It starts out by listing all of the various words with a meaning similar to the word 'cozy', originating from predominantly Nordic European countries. It then wanders off a little bit to talk about things such as the importance of living in an organized environment, how to connect with your higher self (side note: this book was way mire spiritual than you would guess by the title or cover), mindfulness and other things. I think it is a good book if you go into ...more
Michelle
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I got to read an early e book edition from NetGalley. The version of the book I saw has no pictures. There is a lot of information about Hygge and other similar concepts in this book but I always appreciate some colorful pictures in a book like this.

This book focuses a lot on a New Age side to Hygge and Hygge-like concepts. It’s a lot about focusing inward rather than on environment.
That’s a neutral comment not a negative one. What you like in a book of this style could be different than what I
Stephanie
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-yourself
This book reminds me of a super long wishy-washy lifestyle magazine article. I can't quite put my finger on why it never gelled together but between having a unique take on the definition of cozy, using the cozy catch all less and less and then almost as a afterthought in much of the book, and never really completing a thought initiative, it just didn't work out. It feels like it might lean too much on the author's other works. It also went a bit too far in the "woo woo" direction for me.
Corinnagoodwin
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lets be clear, this is not a picture book. this is a sit down with a cup of tea and blanket book. if you are looking for a book that has all the Instagram glossy photos look elsewhere; there are many of them on the market. However, this book is wonderful, in that it helps explain why slowing down and enjoying the little things in a simple way is so important to do, how it helps us and how we can do it.
JLS10
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
There wasn’t anything really new that I hadn’t read before, but I’m still glad I read it for the reminder of things that tend to get pushed aside during our busy lives. I have enjoyed learning more about hygge this past year and this book seems it wanted to capitalize on that trend in hygge interest while adding more of a spiritual component than other books on the topic.
LaToya
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I received this book as an advanced read from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

When experiencing stress, we often overlook life's simplest pleasures, forgetting to pause, and simply, breathe. In Melissa Alvarez's The Simplicity of Cozy: Hygge, Lagom, and the Energy of Everyday Pleasures, the author demonstrates how shifting our energies to life's simplest pleasures and embracing coziness can result in a transformative spiritual growth. In describing this transformation, Alvarez takes us o
Heather
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a non-fiction (not my normal read) but I love the title & the ideas & help this book gives really makes me want to live more Hygge! The book gives good practices & suggestions on how to make your life more cozy, and simple. I can not wait to put some of the practices & tips into my own life.
Jean Brazil
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This book tries to cover every type of calmness strategy from mindfulness to yoga to dance. What it ends up doing is just having a few paragraphs on each topic with no real depth to any of it. Kind of a dispappointment.
Jennifer Rolfe
Gigi
Feb 06, 2019
Ashley
Jan 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
I came across The Simplicity of Cozy and had the pleasure of being able to read it. This book is a fountain of knowledge. I truly enjoyed not only expanding my own personal growth but learning more about the history of Hygge.

This book will help you find other ways to experience your own version of "Cozy". I was able to explore the different meaning of hygge/cozy through different countries, the history was fascinating and well detailed. I felt like I had a better understanding after finishing t
Pam Tuggy
rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2018
rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2018
Veronica
Apr 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
*Advanced reading copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*
Melissa Alvarez is a professional intuitive coach, energy worker, spiritual advisor, medium. 'The simplicity of the cozy' is a beginner's guide to self-care, an inspiring guide, in helping us to be happy for every little moment we live. All of our life should movingaround the concpt of 'cozy', that means find appreciation in every little moments, in every experience.
I like the first part, in which the author gives us
Fiona