Start by marking “I Want to Take You Higher: The Psychedelic Era 1965-1969” as Want to Read:
I Want to Take You Higher: The Psychedelic Era 1965-1969

I Want to Take You Higher: The Psychedelic Era 1965-1969

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Whether you turned on, tuned in, dropped out, or just stood by, you know the psychedelic movement and its music are unforgettable. It is an era that remains a legend to boomers and slackers everywhere. Celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of the Summer of Love with this definitive volume from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum - -an incredible time capsule of a docum ...more
Published June 1st 1997 by Chronicle Books (first published April 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about I Want to Take You Higher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Want to Take You Higher

Clark Hallman
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2016
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum - I Want to Take You Higher: The Psychedelic Era 1965-1969 (edited by James Henke & Parke Puterbaugh, essays by Charles Perry & Barry Miles): I bought this coffee-table book in 1997 when my family and I visited the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland. Like most coffee-table books, it is full of photographs, short and long essays and remembrances about the music industry, the artists, the fans, and especially the music. I had read ...more
Lindsay
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book in high school. I used to have a goal then to own everything on the "Psychedelic 100" posted at the end of the book, and after perusing through this again recently, I think I might have to rekindle this goal.

****

Just dorked out and was able to find about 70 of the 100 tracks on Spotify! Psych playlist, you are all mine. :)
Janet
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was neat reading about the origins of the Psychedelic movement from 1965-1969... and hearing parallel stories both from San Fran as well as London. I wish they included other cities like NYC as well... I got this book in HS during the 30th anniversary of the Summer of Love and now reading it again 20 years later at the 50th anniversary. It's a period piece in itself, which was an interesting angle...

I admit. I Spotified a playlist from the top 100 list in the back of the book. Some tracks we
Christopher
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I Want to Take You Higher is a glossy coffee-table book published in 1997 to accompany at exhibition on the psychedelic era at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. James Henke contributes an introduction, and then we proceed chronologically through the period 1965-1969, alternating between San Francisco (written by Charles Perry) and London (written by Barry Miles). Nearly every page has boxed text relating some anecdote from a participant of the scene. Finally, at the end of the book there is a list ...more
Peacegal
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly the best hippie book, ever. The book pingpongs back and forth between America and Swinging London (as it should) to tell the story of a truly unique and remarkable space in time. The pictures are beautiful and intriguing. If you love the music and/or culture of the late 1960s, you must purchase this book.
robert
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The PERFECT balance of interviews, text, pictures, record reviews, and photographs. The essays by Charles Perry and Barry Miles are short, sweet, and wonderful. Read it while listening to the technicolor web of sound internet music stream.
Frank Taranto
An interesting look at the psychedelic era of rock and roll as seen through two cities, San Francisco and London.
Erin
Jan 28, 2008
Jonny Millett
Jan 17, 2015
Nicholas
Apr 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Author of several books and biographies, most pertaining to musicians and the sixties.

Miles has written biographies of Paul McCartney, The Beatles, William Burroughs, Jack Kerouac, Frank Zappa, Charles Bukowski and Allen Ginsberg, in addition to books on John Lennon, The Beatles and The Clash.

He is occasionally inaccurately credited as "Miles Mabbett" due to his co-authoring a book with Andy Mabb
More about Barry Miles...