Start by marking “Stray Magic (Strays #1)” as Want to Read:
Stray Magic (Strays #1)

Stray Magic

(Strays #1)

Such is the life of a Federal
Published June 19th 2018 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Stray Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stray Magic

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I absolutely loved this book! Having never read this author, I decided to take a chance on this book because I thought that the description sounded promising. Once I started reading this book, I found it to be incredibly hard to set aside. I found myself trying to squeeze in just a bit more of this book during every spare moment I could find and I probably didn't do a few things that needed to be done so that I could read instead. I
♥Rachel♥
I liked the story even though it took a bit to settle in and sort out all the characters. It was also a little on the long side and I felt like the ending dragged out a bit. Still, I'm excited to see where the story goes next. I'm hoping for more in the romance department since there wasn't really anything besides a f*ck buddy, and a past love. I guess we'll see.

Cynthia Farrell's narration was good except her cadence was too slow for my liking. I turned it up to 1.5x instead of my usual 1.25x on
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

Shiloh is a U.S. Marshall in the Paranormal Investigation Unit. Her have to be available at all hours job makes relationships difficult, to say the least. However, her current boyfriend Vincent has her wondering if maybe more could be on the horizon, until a Vampire decides to take over a trailer park.
It is all on Shiloh as her boss goes missing, black magic is
Haley
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
STRAY MAGIC was just what I needed after reading quite a few dark, twisty thrillers in a row. The unique plot line, paranormal theme, and a touch of hopeful romance kept my interest from the first page to the last.

Shiloh Harrison is a Federal Marshall in the Paranormal Investigation Unit. After a long weekend working she wants nothing more than to spend time with her completely human boyfriend, Vincent. But when a group of Vampires take an entire trailer park hostage, duty calls and she has to
Beth
Shiloh Harrison is a Federal Marshal in the Paranormal Investigating Unit. She is taking some much-needed time off after a very difficult assignment when she is called back in because a large group of vampires have just taken a trailer park hostage.

Vampires are running scared and its Shiloh’s job to figure out why when her boss suddenly appears as a talking head…

Delightfully surprised and found myself completely engaged in Meding's Stray Magic. The first book in the Stray series, I'm sure this
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Stray Magic: A Strays Novel
Series: Strays #1
Author: Kelly Meding
Release date: June 19, 2018
Cliffhanger: Yes

It's been quite a while since I've started a new urban fantasy series, so when I was offered the opportunity to read an early copy, I shuffled my schedule in order to make it happen. I've never read any other books by Kelly Meding, but it certainly sounded promising.

I loved that Shiloh is a paranormal Federal Marshal. She's seen and experienced a lot of things that have left her ha
Under the Covers Book Blog

☕️Kimberly
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hells yes! With, so many of my favorite urban fantasy series ending I am thrilled this series started off with a bang. From the brilliant world-building to the motley crew, and parental units that will give you nightmares.  There is even a sexy four-hundred-year-old vampire. I am doing the happy dance!

I first met our heroine, in the novella, Freak House. published in the Carniepunk Anthology. Someone holds Shiloh's father, an ancient djinn, captive along with others. During the rescue Shiloh mee
Jen Davis
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Kelly Meding since her Dreg City days. So when I saw she had a new urban fantasy series starting, I was super excited. And I am happy to report that Stray Magic didn’t disappoint.

The heroine, Shiloh, is a US marshal who works with a special paranormal unit. She is half human, half djinn, and as the story begins, she is just looking forward to a little R&R with her boyfriend, Vincent. Unfortunately, before they can get too cozy, she is called away on a case. A group of va
Linda
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF at about 33%

I enjoyed Meding’s first Dreg City book, but this was a disappointment.

I found Shiloh and most of the other characters in the book annoying at first, and the feeling only grew with longer acquaintance. The world-building was spotty, almost a hodgepodge of magical and paranormal types without a coherent whole. I found the paranormal law enforcement aspects completely unbelievable, from only the two (noncommunicating) offices to the unprofessionalism and incompetence of the staff.

T
Bambi Unbridled
description

Stray Magic is the first book in the Strays series, and my first read by Kelly Meding. I really like this author's writing style, and I'm so happy to have found another urban fantasy series to read. It seems like the genre has been slowing and not as many UF books are being introduced these days. This series has a unique cast of paranormal character, a feisty and interesting heroine, and the promise of steamy romantic entanglements.

Our heroine, Shiloh Harrison, is a half-human djinn and federal
Shelley
*Source* NetGalley
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

Stray Magic, by author Kelly Meding, is the first installment in the authors Strays series. Protagonist Shiloh Harrison is a 28-year-old US Marshall in The Paranormal Investigations Unit under the auspices of the DOJ. Shiloh has been with the unit for 6 years and is currently second-in-command. Shiloh is a half djinni with abilities to grant three wishes and has Quarrel pheromones that are hard for her to control. Her abilities often
Josie Jaffrey
It's been a while since I last read any urban fantasy, and I'm afraid that I remembered why while I was reading this book. The format feels tired to me, and there was nothing to mark this novel out from the hundreds of other UF books out there that I've read, with a sassy detective and all kinds of paranormal creatures.

So I'm afraid this book's rating may have suffered through no fault of its own, but because I'm jaded by the genre. It felt low energy and pedestrian to me, but, as I say, that ma
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

I remember years ago reading Kelly Meding's short story, Freak House from the Carniepunk anthology and thinking it was really good! It had definite series potential. Fast forward five years and today we have Stray Magic!

Shiloh is half djinn and a Federal Marshal in the Paranormal Investigators Unit, basically solving the serious crimes of the paranormal community in
Tori
Agent Shiloh Harrison, a federal marshal in the supernatural world, is half-djinn and half human. Part of a five-man unit that keeps the different species on the straight and narrow, The story starts out on a high note though it levels quickly with Shiloh being called from her boyfriend’s bed to a hostage scene. Seems like a group of vampires has taken the residents of Myrtle’s Happy Acre mobile home park hostage. She and her team learn that someone or something is kidnapping various supernatura ...more
Samantha
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, edelweiss
Summary from Goodreads:

"Shiloh Harrison was hoping for a few days off to recover from a particularly nasty assignment, preferably with the help of the talented hands (and, well, the rest of his body too) of her sexy boyfriend, Vincent. But when a group of vampires takes an entire trailer park hostage, there’s nothing to do but make her apologies and get to the scene.

Such is the life of a Federal Marshal in the Paranormal Investigators Unit.

Yet this isn’t like her typical track-and-nab case: some
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a big fan of Kelly Meding’s writing and her as a person. I got to meet her at AAD a few years back and she was delightful.

She writes great urban fantasy stories with strong and likable heroines. I started my love affair with her writing with her Dreg City series a few years back. I knew I would like, if not love Stray Magic, and I’m kicking myself for waiting to finally read it.

After reading chapter 1 of Stray Magic I remembered there was a short story entitled Freak House set in the Stray
Ami
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shiloh Harrison, half human half djinn, is second team-leader of a federal marshals in a Paranormal Investigators Unit that consists of herself, a fallen incubus, a stag skin-walker, and a dhampir. After an exhausting case, she is ready to take days off when she gets a call that bunch of vampires have taken hostage of a trailer park. Also, their human team leader is missing.

The Master of Vampire who takes the hostage says that several vampires and werewolves and missing; this is his way to ask
Margaret
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally published at Vampire Book Club and based on a copy provided by the publisher.

Shiloh Harrison is a U.S. Marshal in the Paranormal Investigations Unit stationed in Washington. DC. She’s just returned home from a grueling assignment when she’s called out on another case. Vampires have taken an entire trailer park hostage. Since the head of their unit is missing, Shiloh’s in charge of the negotiations. And of course it’s not a normal hostage situation. The Master Vampire says he’ll
The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha)

Stray Magic had me confused initially. I felt dropped into a story in progress, but it said book 1 one of the series. After the first chapter though, I was settling into the story pretty well and found several things I really liked:

Unique world: its modern times but the world knows about shifters and vampires. Our heroine works for an agency that deals with all things paranormal.
Shiloh is tough and spunky. If you like your heroines to be independent and in charge, you will like Shiloh.
Inte
Anne - Books of My Heart
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Read It, Rate It and Record
A short review to update challenges

I've know about this author for awhile and liked one of her books I read.  I bought the second book but haven't managed it yet.  Her primary series I haven't read yet either.  But I was excited to try this new  Strays series  .

Stray Magic is urban fantasy although it feels a little scifi. I guess it is because the world-building is unusual. The supernaturals are not the
Viktória Tóth
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

FINALLY! Finally a new urban fantasy series that has the potential to replace my favorite series that are unfortunately are close to being finished. I don’t know how long I’ve been scouring the different sites for some replacements with less than great success. Okay so to be fair this particular author is not exactly new to the genre or to overall being a published author but still this new book of hers is really phenomenal.

I was com
FV Angela
Review originally posted at http://fictionvixen.com/review-stray-...

Kelly Meding’s newest foray into the urban fantasy genre starts off easily enough with Shiloh finally back home after an assignment and ready to engage in some skin privileges with her boyfriend. Before they can get to the good stuff she and her team are called in to a sticky situation involving a whole heck of a lot of vampires, a hostage situation and a trailer park. Shiloh Harrison, half djinn/half human, is a Federal Marshal
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
I enjoyed this book so much. I must admit I was wary about accepting it for review as the author is new to me, but after reading the blurb, I accepted the publisher's offer. I am so happy I did. I have been on the hunt for a good Urban Fantasy and this fed my desires.

Shiloh is a US Para Marshall with the paranormal investigation unit. She just completed a dangerous mission and hoped to have some downtime with her boyfriend. However, when vampires took a trailer park of residents hostage, her pla
Anniek
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shiloh is a Federal Marshal at the Paranormal Investigators Unit. She’s also half human and half djinn. Shiloh and her crew are being called when paranormals are involved in a crime. She’s looking forward to a few days off when she gets notified that a group of vampires have taken over a whole trailer park, keeping the residents hostage. Shiloh's boss is missing and she is the second in command. She needs to make difficult choices to stop the situation from getting out of hand and quickly has to ...more
Tracy
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, if was as good an urban fantasy as some of my favorite series. I think, based on reading other's reviews, that this book may come after Kelly Meding's Dreg City series or part of the same world? However I never read that series, in fact this is my first book by this author and I really enjoyed it. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything having not read the Dreg City series. Of course I could be completely off on them having anything to do with ea ...more
Karen  ⚜Mess⚜
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely love this new series!

So much action! So much magic! And hot sexy guys!

Great character development. I loved mom. I can see she has a future with the Para-Marshalls as their office manager. Would serve Shiloh right. Once again Kelly Meding gives us a sweet, caring character to fall in love with (Jaxon). If anything bad happens to him I will kill a MF!

The loose ends were nicely tied up by the end of this novel. However, there are some unanswered side questions. I wouldn't say

Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)

Interesting start to a new series. This is the first book by Meding that I've read. I would liked more closure at the end of this volume, but the characters and situations are interesting enough that I'll read more.

Full review to follow
Llaph
I really liked the introduction to this new world. It certainly had some surprises I was not expecting.
One thing I liked was the heroine was unique in her make up. I don't recall reading about many half djinn. I really liked how her magic was set up/used and her restrictions to using it.
I like Meding's imagination for beings/lore that is already there. She adds a nice twist to keep it fresh.
I'm looking forward to reading the next one.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
I am a great lover of Urban Fantasy and the blurb of Stray Magic had me excited. Could I have found my next UF obsession? It seemed to have all the elements I like; a strong heroine, a range of paranormal races, magic, an interesting plot and a new world to explore. And although on paper I should have loved it, sadly it didn’t quite enthrall as I expected, and wanted, it to.

This is my first book from Kelly Meding as well as the first book in the Stray series. When I was reading I felt like this
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Sisters of Witchdown (Hexed Novels, #1)
  • Vampire Trouble (Dead in the City, #2)
  • Claiming His Desire (Feral Breed Motorcycle Club, #6)
  • Weaver's Folly (The Shadowspinner Chronicles, #1)
  • Crossroads of Bones (Katie Bishop Series, #1)
  • The Angel Hunt (Dark World: The Angel Trials #2)
  • Cookies, Curses, and Kisses (Blue Moon Bay, #1)
  • The Book of Secrets (The Last Oracle #1)
  • Wild Hunger (Heirs of Chicagoland, #1)
  • Of Blood and Magic
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • The Lost Codex (The Collectors' Society, #4)
  • Cut to the Chase (City Shifters: the Pride, #4)
  • Buffy: The High School Years - Parental Parasite (Buffy: The High School Years, #3)
  • Their Everything (Unlikely Mates, #3)
  • In Sickness and In Elf (Paranormal Wedding Planners #1)
  • Damned Either Way (The Harker Trilogy #3)
  • Silver Skin (Cold Iron, #2)

Strays (2 books)