Start by marking “Forest Bathing: How Trees Can Help You Find Health and Happiness” as Want to Read:
Forest Bathing: How Trees Can Help You Find Health and Happiness

Forest Bathing: How Trees Can Help You Find Health and Happiness

The definitive guide to the therapeutic Japanese practice of shinrin-yoku, or the art and science of how trees can promote health and happiness

Forest bathing, or shinrin-yoku, is the Japanese secret to health and happiness, and it's right in your own backyard. As a society we suffer from nature deficit disorder. But studies have shown that backing away from your computer
Published April 17th 2018 by Viking (first published April 5th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Forest Bathing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forest Bathing

Beth Bonini
Six months ago I moved full-time to London after years of living in the English countryside. I had lived very near a large woodland, and walking in it was part of my weekly - and seasonal - routine. Snowdrops, then crocuses, daffodils, then drifts of bluebells represented the spring; the summer was a canopy of green, cool even in the hottest weather; and autumn was glorious with burnished colour. Even in winter, because of the high concentration of conifers, the woodland had a dark green density ...more
7jane
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is forest-bathing? It's time spent in forests/parks, walking, sitting, eating, practicing tea ceremony etc. for the good of your physical/mental health, appreciating nature's beauty. The author is an expert on this subject; there are many, many pictures of the forests here, so you can probably use *them* also to get some experience.

This book talks about forests especially in Japan, but one can easily apply this form of nature-enjoyment, and the tips within, to other places around the world
Dannii Elle
My review of this book could be summed up in one hyphenated word: Life-changing.

Shinrin-yoku is the practise of taking time out of our technologically overloaded and overstimulated lives and allowing the power of nature's presence to consume and calm us. The benefits of doing so can impact every area of our lives and this book delivers startling figures and scientific discoveries that prove just how. The prosaic writing style was enough to convince me, but this book also delivers written testimo
GONZA
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
As the topic was total unknown to me, I found the book very interesting even if a little bit naive and simplistic, still it was a subject that the author handled with a lot of experience and love. I love everything Japan so this was also a bonus for me.

Siccome l'argomento di questo libro mi era totalmente sconosciuto, ho trovato questo volume molto interessante anche se a volte un po semplicistico. ma si vede come l'autore sia un appassionato della materia e come l'ami profondamente. Inoltre sic
Lucy
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Úzkost, deprese, vztek, únava, zmatek... symptomy dnešní doby. Existuje spousta literatury, jež nás učí, jak se s těmito neduhy poprat. Pokud bych však měla doporučit jednu jedinou knihu, která vám v boji s nimi pomůže, byla by to tato.
Jde o nádherný svazek, a to nejen svým obsahem, ale i obrazovým vyhotovením. Jeho hlavní myšlenka je přitom velmi jednoduchá: vraťme se do přírody a užívejme si čas v ní všemi smysly. Šinrin-Joku má v mé knihovně své pevné místo.
Joaquin Garza
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ciencias
Aunque es cortito y aunque no tiene que convencerme de nada, vale la pena leerlo. Es como un resumen orientado a Japón de todas las cosas que un bosque puede hacer por uno y por su paz mental. Afortunadamente vivo cerca de algunos de los bosques más prístinos y apabullantes del planeta y escaparme a ellos siempre ha tenido un gran poder para dejarme tranquilo. Cuando puedan escaparse al bosque háganlo
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature, japan
I grew up in a forest. I got married in a forest. I live in a house surrounded by trees.

I'm a tree person.

How lovely, then, to read this book that shares all the many benefits of trees on our lives.

Note: this is a library book, but I'd now like to get a copy of my own so that I can think more carefully about trees.
Korey
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about a hobby.

I enjoyed learning about the practice of forest bathing or Shinrin-Yoku. The different between hiking and forest bathing is hiking sets out with a purpose or destination, where as forest bathing has no end point in mind. Instead it encourages the utilization of your five senses to be present in the moment to heal your body and mind. This book gave me the tools to be able to go into the forests’ of Colorado and practice Shinrin-Yoku.
Kalin
Sep 19, 2018 marked it as part-read  ·  review of another edition
За пречистване на въздуха вкъщи: хризантема, гербер, азалия.
Paula
May 30, 2018 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
How sad and ironic that a book about the benefits of trees should waste so much paper, where the text on each page uses only 1/4-1/3 of the space and also used a large font. I found it too anecdotal and not very linear in its topic. Pretty pictures of forests though.
penny shima glanz
I am excited to see science supporting the practice of shinrin-yoku (森林浴). I have always headed out to the woods to recharge and reset (and rest) and now I better understand why. In _Forest Bathing_, Li has written a helpful guide for those curious about how to practice and why. Included are the results (and general process) of multiple scientific studies. These investigated the effects forest bathing had on stress, sleep, mood, the immune system, and more.

This book offers practical advice for t
Ty-Orion
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Шинрин-йоку или горско къпане е японска практика на релаксация и подобряване на жизнения тонус чрез бавни разходки в зелени места, в идеален случай - гора.

Според редица изследвания още след 20-тата минута в гората човек започва да чувства ефекта от подобно движение, чиято цел е да се потопиш с всичките си сетива в зеленината и тишината без да бързаш и без да се разсейваш от екрани и смси. Вдишването на въздуха, обогатен от ароматите на дърветата, действа благотворно на физиката и психиката, пон
Cheryl
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
wonderful book essentially about nature worship, and the positive effects on us that being in nature engenders. I have known the feelings for years, as I learned long ago to intentionally take periods of rest/forest bathing along hikes, but this book was a lovely recitation of why it feels so very good to be in nature, in forests, and breathing it all in.
Elizabeth Vazquez
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love walking through forests and listening to the trees move and sway. As a kid, my favorite reading spot was the branch of a tree. The author provided evidence backed research to prove that "forest bathing" reduces stress and promotes mindfulness. I hope to visit Japan soon to experience shinrin-yoku in the author's native land.
Ericka Clouther
This is a short book, but it's chockful of information. I couldn't tell how strictly scientific the advice is but it seems worth a shot to connect with nature and give it a try. Since the author discusses a number of Japanese forests I think this book is especially helpful for someone living in or visiting Japan. There are also many tips that can be applied even if you're not in Japan though.
Stephanie
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book was so calming. It made me feel relaxed just reading it for fun.

Dr. Qing Li provides his thoughts on his research with respect to the body and mind after "Forest Bathing." He uses examples through studies that he has performed in Japan. He goes on to talk about the different parks in Japan that seem to have some sort of Forest Bathing programs. It was almost dream like and when he described the different trails and parks I envisioned myself there.

What was important in this book wasn't
Debbie Hill
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tree-themed
I first noticed the Japanese term Shinrin-Yoku on a Facebook post. After losing four large ash trees in my backyard due to the invasive emerald ash borer, I couldn't believe how the loss permeated my existence. I felt compelled to learn more about the ash trees and in doing so the surviving trees taught me so much about the world around me.

It didn't surprise me that for Mother's Day my family gifted me this book on Forest Bathing by Dr. Qing Li, chairman of the Japanese Society for Forest Medic
Emily
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who lives in a large city, I have to make a conscious effort to get out into nature a few times each week, so it was interesting to read about the whole forest bathing movement in Japan. I am a bit skeptical of some of the health claims, but otherwise a good an relaxing read.
Amena
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The writer of this book, Dr Li, is a man after my own heart. He investigates the science behind why we feel so much better in nature, SO much happier and healthier when surrounded by trees. It's a feeling that is so hard to put into words and describe. Although walking anywhere reduces anxiety, depression, anger and confusion, it is only walking in a forest environment that has a positive effect on vigour and fatigue.

The photography in the book is breathtakingly stunning. It made me want to jum
Monica
It's a good book and full of interesting information, but it's extremely anecdotal and mostly facts more than anything else.
Which is fine, I'm not sure what else I would've expected from it.
However, it makes me sad that I live in the desert since most forests here are pretty far out and require a drive to get to, it makes me appreciate the trees we have around and I felt myself looking for trees in town after reading it, wondering how healthy my surroundings could be. But I don't think you can
Fiza Pathan
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. This is a book that should be read by everyone to change the way we look at our forests & the way we can change our lives for the better by practicing shinrin-yoku or forest bathing. One of the best reads this year. Those of you interested in forest oil essentials & aromatherapy like me can please read this amazing & uplifting book. A must read for all nature lovers out there. Kudos!
Sarah Latimer guarini
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I honestly think that the true reason I wanted to read this book was so that I could justify my so-called “need” to live in an area with trees...and after reading this book, I do feel that it is justifiable!

This book is a very fast read!
I wasn’t expecting all of the beautiful illustrations of trees, which was clever on the author’s part. Including these made reading the book incredibly relaxing. Honestly, I think most of us already know and believe what is written in these pages—which is that c
Angie Shere
I am already a believer in the healing power of spending time in the natural world. But after reading this book, I want to visit more forests, spend more of my time outside. I learned so many new things about forests and plants, and the outdoors. Now I am even more enamored. I would have loved to share this book with my Mom, a fellow "tree lover" who was a wood carver and understood the stories trees could tell. I donated a copy to our local library in memory of her.
Kelly
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
We all know that being in nature makes us feel good. But if you are interested in the science behind it, then you will love this book! I enjoyed this read very much. And there were beautiful forest photographs on every page. Reading this book is equivalent to walking in the forest, I'm pretty sure... but you should still go outside and walk in a real forest, ok?
Neus
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vivir-bien
'Todos sabemos lo bien que nos hace sentir el contacto con la naturaleza. Lo hemos experimentado durante milenios. Los sonidos del bosque, el olor de los árboles, la luz del sol colándose entre las hojas, el aire fresco y limpio...'

Un pequeño tesoro que nos ayuda a reconectar con la naturaleza y la energía de la tierra.
Heather Tweed
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This lovely book boasts beautiful nature pictures, large fonts, and evidence-based practice research supporting anecdotal stories. I’m inspired to do more shin-rin yoku (forest bathing) here in Sarasota and to someday go to Japan to see the sacred forests described in this book.
Jamie K
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting little read. Nice way to break up Wisconsin’s winter by seeing all the beautiful forest photos inside this book as well. Some good takeaways, going to try forest bathing when it is nice out, also to incorporate the ideas for hinoki essential oil and earthing/grounding. Can’t wait until it’s warm enough to try these things!
Bookishnymph *needs hea*
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, spirituality
Interesting, I love all the pictures of trees.
KC
I thoroughly enjoyed this book on cleansing oneself of the daily grime and reconnecting with nature. Vibrant photos, a smashing cover, and an easy and very doable program to follow.
Jade
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. The content is useful, and inspiring. I enjoyed the pictures as well. I want to buy my own copy when able.

• Shinrin Yoku: The Art of Japanese Forest Bathing
  • Skirt-a-Day Sewing: Create 28 Skirts for a Unique Look Every Day
  • Preserving the Japanese Way: Traditions of Salting, Fermenting, and Pickling for the Modern Kitchen
  • The Weather Detective: Rediscovering Nature’s Secret Signs
  • Explorers' Botanical Notebook: In the Footsteps of Theophrastus, Marco Polo, Linnaeus, Flinders, Darwin, Speke and Hooker
  • The Vibrant Table: Recipes from My Always Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, and Sometimes Raw Kitchen
  • My Year Without Matches: Escaping the City in Search of the Wild
  • Nature's Temples: The Complex World of Old-Growth Forests
  • American Cozy: Hygge-Inspired Ways to Create Comfort  Happiness
  • 10,000 Ways to Say I Love You: The Biggest Collection of Romantic Ideas Ever Gathered in One Place
  • The First Mess Cookbook: Vibrant Plant-Based Recipes to Eat Well Through the Seasons
  • The Human Planet: How We Created the Anthropocene
  • Rewilding Our Hearts: Building Pathways of Compassion and Coexistence
  • Going Alone: Women's Adventures in the Wild
  • A Trail Through Leaves: The Journal as a Path to Place
  • A Guide for the Advanced Soul: A Book of Insight Tag - Hold a Problem in Your Mind
  • Urban Forests: A Natural History of Trees in the American Cityscape
  • The Moon Juice Cookbook: Cook Cosmically for Body, Beauty, and Consciousness
“Wszędzie panuje tak duży hałas, że większość ludzi nie ma już okazji rozkoszować się kojącym brakiem uciążliwych odgłosów cywilizacji. Naturalną ciszę uznano za jeden z najbardziej zagrożonych zasobów na naszej planecie.” 0 likes
“Wszyscy znamy cudowny zapach lasu po ulewie. Kiedy długo nie pada, w glebie i na skałach gromadzą się olejki roślinne. To jeden ze sposobów roślin na przetrwanie okresów suszy. Podczas deszczu woda uwalnia przechowywane w podłożu olejki, a powietrze wypełnia się ich zapachem.

On również ma swoją nazwę, petrichor, od greckich słów petra, czyli "kamień", i ichor, którym opisywano esencję płynącą w żyłach bogów zamiast krwi. Zatem petrichor znaczy dosłownie "esencja kamienia". To zapach życia!”
0 likes