Start by marking “The Odd 1s Out: How to Be Cool and Other Things I Definitely Learned from Growing Up” as Want to Read:

Hilarious stories and advice about the ups and downs of growing up, from a popularYouTube artist and storyteller.

Like any shy teen turned young adult, YouTube star James Rallison ("The Odd 1s Out") is used to being on the outside looking in. He wasn't partying in high school or winning football games like his older brother. Instead, he posted comics on the Internet. Now, h
Published July 31st 2018 by Tarcherperigee

Savannah
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and got and uncorrected ARC, so things in my copy of the book are subject to change.

If you enjoy his channel this book has the same humor as his stories on YouTube. Some of the stories are from the channel but there are also stories that are new and give reason for even the biggest fan of James to buy the book.

People who havent viewed his channel will still love the jokes and stories that this book provides, from stories about his evil dog to accidently da
TheYALibrarian
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute illustrations with stories that had me rolling. Enough said.
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sept-2018
MY RATING: 4/5 STARS

A copy generously provided by Penguin Random House Canada in exchange for a honest review.

Guys! I am a huge fan of TheOdd1sOut on Youtube and there might have been two days where I binged watched all his videos when I first discovered him. If you guys don't know who James is, he's a cartoonist who is known for his funny stories told through cartoons he draws himself. My favourite were some of his workplace stories and of course, him growing up as a kid.

This book is exactly
Yoru
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of TheOdd1sOut's YouTube channel
Shelves: comics
This was a fun little endearing read! Most of the stories are already up on James's YouTube channel, TheOdd1stOut, as videos to be watched, but there are a few anecdotes that aren't on his channel, and a little more substance to the ones that are and made it into this book.

Most of this book feels like a memoir of things James has learned or experienced since as early as kindergarten onward, and I feel like it reads as such even when it's funny.

I recommend this to fans of his channel, especially
Kelsie ~ Scribbler for the Quibbler ~
I don't watch much YouTube. I know that once I get on, I won't get off for at least two hours. My brother, on the other hand, probably spends over half his day on YouTube, so you can imagine he's pretty well versed in YouTubers.

That being said, he tends to show me some of his favorite YouTubers from time to time, and the only one I kept watching after he showed me a video was, you guessed it, The Odd1sOut. James is literally the only YouTuber I consistently watch (excluding BookTubers). So when
Brian
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, biography
Read this because my daughter loves to watch his Youtube videos.
Kelli
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I bought this book because it was a graphic novel and I was like, cool, I like graphic novels. Sadly, to put it simply, this book was not written for me.

The drawings were cute and it was funny at times, but this focused on things I did not care about. It was just silly and not for me.
Jerry Lai
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
dis book was kool becuz theodds1out was in it
SantaFlash
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do you need to write a book report? Try James' Mad lib book report. It's sure to (cough) impress the teachers.

I first caught The Odd 1s Out videos when my kids were watching his Sooubway videos. I was surprised that someone on YouTube could actually be funny. Yes, I do hold a low opinion of most of the video content on that site. Anyway... When I saw the same author of The Odd 1s Out (James Rallison) was coming out with a book, I thought at first, "Ugh, this is like Dan TDM all over again." But
❄Ice Cube❄
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So if you watch theodd1sout then you will love this book. so it is about how james like grew up and he tells stories from his life and he rants on about random stuff.
Nicole
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book and I couldn’t put it down. I’ve been watching James also known as, “The Odd 1s Out” for quite some time, so I was especially excited to find this book at the library. His name The Odd 1s Out basically comes from him feeling sort of different from everyone else and really just having a more creative mind. He thinks outside the box and has a sarcastic and different sense of humor, which I found funny. This book included some crazy and funny stories from his life growing ...more
Robby
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun little book my from the youtube channel my kids watched. An enjoyable palette cleanser from the heavier, more filled with terrible happenings fiction I have been reading.
Sophia Z
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t taken by the simplish roundish cartoon figures in the book at first, but these big-hero-6-esque characters grew on me. My tentative and judgmental attitude (what does a 22 year old YouTuber possible have to say that’s worth my while?) was completely broken when I got to the “sympathy rub” story and from there on I was a fan.
Randi
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a quick entertaining read that has the same narrative voice as his videos but not quite the same charm. Still fun to pick up for the new content, though.
Kim Miller-Davis
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 14 year old, comic-writing son nagged me for a month until I finally sat down and read this book and I’m so glad I did. During the hour it took me to read it, I must have laughed out loud 30 times. It’s that funny.
Known for his webcomic and YouTube show, Rallings uses his comedic sense to examine some of the most excruciating moments of adolescent angst. By poking fun at his own awkward behavior in a voice that is slightly sarcastic yet self-deprecating, Rallings appeals to kids who are in t
Kendra
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun book to read. I've been a fan of James and his videos for awhile, so I was pretty excited when he announced he was making a book.

However, roughly one third of this book contains info that is already explained (hilariously) on youtube channel. I get that it's nice to put in some details for those who have never heard of James, but it kinda made me enjoy the book a little less.

It's hard to write a book, so I will say I think it's still a good read (ha, get it?-ok I'll stop now) for
Miranda H
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great addition to the popular YouTube video collection by the same creator. My daughter introduced me to the hilarity of Odd1sOut on YouTube and I purchased this book as a gift for her. Some of the material is recycled from his discussions on YouTube, but those recycled bits are also fleshed out with more detail and backstory than provided in the internet videos. The book is riddled with the artist's signature style of illustration and wit. It's a quick and fun read for children and a ...more
Charis
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been reading TheOdd1sOut comics for years and started following his YouTube channel last year. Not one of his videos has failed to make me laugh out loud! This book is the perfect recreation of many of his videos, and even includes new content! The talent of the simply drawn cartoons and hilarious humor produced by TheOdd1sOut is remarkable and my go-to source of daily laughter. This book is perfect for any age, whether you may be eight, seventeen, or forty- This humor reaches anyone and ev ...more
Amy
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book for two reasons: 1) my son said it was “a lot like Hyperbole and a Half,” and 2) my son promised to refrain from talking to me about Fortnite for two weeks if I read it. It is not as good as Hyperbole and a half, but really, nothing will ever compare to Allie Brosn breaking in to her own house to get at that chocolate cake. Odd 1s Out did make me laugh and it is fun to have the shared reference points with my son. Also—no Fortnite conversations for two weeks. Maybe I should bump ...more
Christine
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Most of the stories here mirror James' online videos but what's not to love? It's nice to have them in book form as it serves as a gateway for those who haven't seen his YouTube videos/comics.

I decided to donate my copy of this book to the school library. James is my favorite YouTuber because he has uplifting, positive videos with just the right amount of snark. He doesn't swear (a rarity these days) and he's absolutely hilarious. His videos/book can be enjoyed by pre-teens and adults alike.
Michelle Porter
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this was really interesting to read. There were a few stories in there that I knew of from his videos. however he went in to a bit more detail. As well as information on more of his life and adventures getting to where he is today. I really do not think this type of book is for everyone. But if you are a fan of his work and just want a good laugh. I would say to pick it up. I'm So happy I was able to preorder it.
Maddie
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very cute. Even though I had seen most of the videos referenced in the book, I still found myself laughing out loud regularly throughout. It's definitely meant for a younger audience, but some of the jokes are actually pretty smart and it has some fun nostalgia for those who went through school in the mid to late 2000's. Overall, while slightly embarrassing to read in public when you're as old as me, it's still a pleasant, cute, and quick enough read for fans and newcomers alike.
River
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I read it during the summer.
Its basically like the diary of a wimpy kid books but with actual experiences plus with trending tab youtuber TheOdd1sOut who makes comics. I feel like you have to watch the actual videos to get the book anyways most of the chapters are basically rewrites of the videos but there are some original and interesting stories. Nice job.
Melissa Stio
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book, and really feels like one of James' videos, but to echo what most other reviewers have said: a lot of the stories are identical to his videos. I played the P.E. video while reading along with that chapter and the script is nearly identical, minus some phrasing. All in all, a good read for all ages.
Mikaila
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
So I love James and have a been a fan of him since he was only at 2 million subs but this book was a cheap cash grab on his part. So many of the stories were already featured on YouTube channel. The ones that weren’t were great but it felt very cheap, if you know what I mean. The writing in this book was also pretty eh, if you know what I mean.
Greyson
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was very funny and I LOVED it! It is very relatable and there was even a guide of "How to be cool in 7th grade" which might be helpful. James has a very amazing life with lots of ups and downs. While his sister is drawing realistic cats and dogs, he's drawing chicken godzilla! I really like the message that "If your not good at something, don't let that stop you".
Tara Long
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Job!

This book was great! I have followed James for a while and this was really. This book is really good for anybody, young or old, male or female (or any other sexuality). My only critique is that some chapters were essentially the script of the corresponding video. It was still amazing! If I could, I would give this a 4.8/5, but I can’t, so I’ll just say 4.
Caroline
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the odd 1s out is a fantastic book. it follows James throughout his life. it has stories of him, his family, and his friends. everything in this book has color and emotion and remember, wear your seatbelt.
Aneeza Rafiq
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was expecting this book to be really funny. I was a little bit disappointed. It was a mix of sad, boring and slightly childish parts. I'm still giving it four stars because I love the author's comics randomly popping up on my Pinterest and making my day.
Liam Hartner
Sep 13, 2018 is currently reading it
it is a really funny book so far about a youtuber when he was littel
James Rallison is an American webcomic artist from Arizona, known for his YouTube channel TheOdd1sOut.
“It’s too hot to do anything outside but go to a pool or watch stuff melt.” 0 likes