Start by marking “Landing on My Feet: A Diary of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Landing on My Feet: A Diary of Dreams

Landing on My Feet: A Diary of Dreams

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Who can forget that golden moment in the 1996 Summer Olympics when athlete Kerri Strug completed her final vault that helped the U.S. win its first-ever team gymnastics gold medal? It was a crowd pleaser that resonated around the world.In this fascinating autobiography, now available in paperback, Kerri Strug comes to life as the brave young gymnast who struggled for years ...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Landing on My Feet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Landing on My Feet

Grace, Gold, and Glory by Gabrielle DouglasOff Balance by Dominique MoceanuWinning Balance by Shawn JohnsonChalked Up by Jennifer SeyFinding Our Balance by Lauren Hopkins
Gymnastics
63 books — 27 voters
The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James BrownUnbroken by Laura HillenbrandPlaying for Keeps by David HalberstamGrace on the Ice by Abigail TabbyThe Dirtiest Race in History by Richard  Moore
Olympic Athletes
78 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Lee Ann
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who can forget that moment when women's USA Gymnastics brought home gold in 1996? Kerri had set goals and worked for them for years, but who knew all the struggles that she went through to get to that point. Wonderfully written auto-biography.
Emily Russel
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Michelle
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's 20 years to the day since Kerri Strug's famous 1996 vault in the Atlanta Olympics. This is a very straightforwardly-written account of Kerri Strug's gymnastics career from the early days to that vault, and slightly beyond. We hear about her struggles with injuries, attitude to food and coaching changes, and get to see what she was thinking during her first failed vault and the second one that catapulted her to fame, and while she was being carried out to the podium to receive her medal.

She
Lana
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
OK - so this is funny! This is not the book I heard about from Good Housekeeping. There is a new book 'Off Balance', written by Dominique Moceanu, Kerri Strug's teammate, which came out this year, which was the book I heard about.

I got to the library and saw this book, and thought it was the book I wanted to read - but it is 15 years old, written the year after the 1996 Olympics! It was a very interesting read, glad I read it (by accident)!

What shocked me the most about reading Kerri's book is h
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
Three stars. Nothing particularly fantastic about this book, but Kerri Strug's memoir about her life as one of America's top gymnasts of the 1990s was an easy, likable read. Unlike many other gymnastics memoirs, Strug, for the most part, managed to stay down to earth and never lost her love for her sport. She seemed truly grateful for all of her coaches and never said anything bad about her teammates or rivals. Though she battled a bit of disordered eating and many nearly career-ending injuries, ...more
Rebecca
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Wow! After just reading Dominique Moceanu's book what a difference. Dominique was forced into gymnastics and hated Bela and her family. Kerri loved Bela and was devastated when he retired. He got her to two Olympic Games. She had the personality and the drive. Kerri had a tight relationship with a very supportive family. But both have gold medals to show for it.
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Non-fiction. Gymnast in Atlanta Olympics in 1996. Hurt her leg but won team Gold for the team. Amazing how many sacrifices these girls make for gymnastics. Leave their homes and live with foster families, spend 8 hours a day in the gym...
Allison
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: athletes
Timeless story of someone reaching for their goal.
Jen
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Kerri Strug. The USA Gymnastic Olympian who stuck a vault with a broken ankle to win the USA women's team Gold in 1996. Amazing story of overcoming lots of obstacles.
Mary
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ciocido23
May 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Inspiring story about everything a young gymnast went through to make the Olympic team and all she overcame.
Britta
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is one of my friend Carol's favorite books. It had a sort of interesting charm, but it definitely made me see that professional athletics would not be for me!
Lisa Husnick
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Was interesting to compare this book to the one written by Dominique Moceanu titled Off Balance: A Memoir. Both ladies viewed the training methods of Bela and Marta Karolyi differently.
Dawn Annis
Jun 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Letters to a Young Gymnast
  • Dominique Moceanu: an American Champion
  • Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters
  • Chalked Up: Inside Elite Gymnastics' Merciless Coaching, Overzealous Parents, Eating Disorders, and Elusive Olympic Dreams
  • Winning Balance: What I've Learned So Far about Love, Faith, and Living Your Dreams
  • Inside Edge: A Revealing Journey into the Secret World of Figure Skating
  • Sasha Cohen: Fire on Ice (Revised Edition): Autobiography of a Champion Figure Skater
  • It's Not About Perfect: Competing for My Country and Fighting for My Life
  • My Sergei: A Love Story
  • Finding Our Balance (2016, #1)
  • A Skating Life: My Story
  • Dance While You Can
  • In the Water They Can't See You Cry: A Memoir
  • Heja, heja!
  • 14 år till salu: En skakande svensk historia
  • Heart of a Champion: An Autobiography
  • Reba: My Story
  • Escape from the Antarctic (Penguin Great Journeys)