Start by marking “Effendi” as Want to Read:
Effendi

Effendi

(Arabesk #2)

Masterfully blending speculative fiction and hard-boiled mystery, Jon Courtenay Grimwood's acclaimed Arabesk series plunges readers into a world eerily familiar and shockingly unpredictable. Here a troubled detective follows a trail of clues through a city where innocence itself may be a thing of the past. . . .

It's the twenty-first century and El Iskandryia--an alluring m
Published August 30th 2005 by Spectra Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Effendi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Effendi

Michael Battaglia
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Welcome back to your favorite alternate history where the Germans are causing trouble, the French are snooty and the intersection of politics and business dealings end up getting people killed unnecessarily, forcing an elaborate cover-up. Oh wait, that seems like actual history.

Grimwood continues with his tale of a divergent history where the Ottoman Empire didn't collapse and end up being mostly well known as a comfortable footrest that really ties a room together, setting it in an Alexandria t
Princessjay
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Takes some close reading to understand. The author writes in jump-cut style, and not chronologically. So far, however, it's been an interesting and worthwhile ride through the streets of El Iskandryia, with true love and cybernetic enhancements alongside Arabic traditional culture.

However, the common theme in this series seems to be -- everyone is abused during childhood, physically or mentally, by circumstances or parents, regardless of whether they came from rich or poor levels of society. The
Rob Trans
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
We are still not sure who Ashraf al Mansur is. Is he the illegitimate son of an Emir? He still seems like a socio- or psychopath with a drug problem. His relationship with Zara continues to be complicated. In this book he has taken over the murdered Felix's office of Chief of Detectives and later possibly reluctantly has Governor of El Iskandryia added to his portfolio. His mental implant, the Fox, is dying. His niece, the 160 IQ Hani, becomes his internet researcher.

Zara's father's history is
John Westbury
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The author spent a lot of time describing the main character in detail, like what clothes he wore, what brand of sunglasses he had on, the conveyance of Ashraf Bey felt forced to me. This is weird because it is not even the first book in the series, why go on and on about the style of the character if the audience presumably already knew what he is like?
Michele (Mikecas)
Da:

Secondo volume della trilogia Arabesk. Avevo già presentato il primo volume, Pasharaze, nella mia rubrica mensile di consigli di lettura, perché mi era piaciuto molto. Questo secondo volume della trilogia è sicuramente allo stesso livello, ma l'impressione che mi ha lasciato non è equivalente. In parte, ma solo marginalmente, è dovuto all'essere un secondo volume, con i personaggi principali ormai delineati, sostanzialmente ben conosciuti, e quindi senz
FerroN
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dopo l’esordio con “Pashazade”, la Trilogia dell’Arabesco prosegue con “Effendi”. La vicenda non comincia dal termine del primo romanzo, bensì è ad esso intrecciata tramite eventi già raccontati ma ripresi da punti di vista alternativi.

Teatro dell’azione è ancora El Iskandryia; gli intermezzi che si inseriscono nel racconto questa volta riguardano la “guerra dell’acqua”, combattuta da truppe di bambini e adolescenti arruolati da ignoti manipolatori.
Il promettente scenario immaginato per la trilo
Mary Z
Oct 12, 2011 added it
“Effendi” is the second installment to Jon Courtenay Grimwood’s Arebesk trilogy.

“Effendi” starts just before the point that “Pashazade” leaves off. The slight overlap in story is retold from a different perspective than in the first novel. I found it an effective way to catch up a reader that might not be familiar with the events of the first book and still have enough back story to continue with the second. As for the reader familiar with book one, having the story told from a different perspec
Martin
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
Following on (sort of) the heels of Pashazade we find Raf as Chief of Police of the free city of El Isksandryia in JCG's alternate future, and not quite believing it himself. As in the previous book, we start with a little peek ahead into the plot, a teasing trick that draws you in, wanting to find out how exactly the hell that happens. And again we get thrown into a confusing tangle of flashbacks and memories, from which we have to extract the plot for ourselves.
Raf, as ever is the coolest thin
Fantasy Literature
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
In this review, I’m going to write about the willing suspension of disbelief. Perhaps more precisely, I’m writing about the intersection of world-building and the willing suspension of disbelief. Enter Jon Courtenay Grimwood and the ARABESK trilogy: Pashazade, Effendi and Felaheen.

In Grimwood’s world, the Ottoman Empire never collapsed. Woodrow Wilson brokered peace between London and Berlin in 1915, World War II never happened, and the major world powers seem to be Germany, France, the USA and
Lawrence
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I really do like Grimwood's writing style with it's abrupt starts, stops, and change of direction and thread hopping. His language is also fascinating and eclectic. The characters remain enigmatic and troubled, with what I want to see as many layers and depth, but really, they take a lot of actions with little explanation. What explanations there are come as seemingly unrelated shocks, and leave me wondering why they behave as they do. Regardless, I enjoyed reading this novel, and it was grippin ...more
Mike Franklin
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Run out of time review.

I just love Grimwood's sassy, punky prose. These Arabesk books are alternate history and set somewhat in the future. There are definite SF elements - in particular cyberpunk ones - but SF is not what these books are really about. They are full immersion into sharp, witty, street-wise prose that explores the seedier side of the imaginary free city of El Iskandryia.
Luca Cresta
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notevole. L'autore conferma l'ottima prova di Pashazade, anche se non arriva allo stesso livello.
La narrazione è sempre di ottimo livello, così come i personaggi e l'interazione fra loro. Molto interessante anche la parte sui bambini soldato.
Aspetto con impazienza il terzo episodio. Come sempre grande prova della traduttrice Chiara Reali.
Andy
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was the second book in the trilogy. It borrows some of the alternate history (Ottoman Empire still is in existance) and cyberpunk noir from the first one, though this one introduces some darker themes such as the conflict in Darfur and responsbilities of things done in war. Overall a good, engaging read. Now I am on to the finale of the trilogy.
Joanna
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Great premise--noir cyberpunk alt history!

Not so great execution. It just goes ... nowhere. Though Raf and his motley crew are quite charming in the end.

All style and no substance, alas. Though it gets props for the believable Muslim details.
Bennie
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-mystery
I thought Gibson's Sprawl series was the ultimate in the genre of cyberpunk, hard-boiled science fiction or whatever you want to call it. However, Grimwood's Arabesk series has to be rated as one of the best in this area. One of the few books I'm looking forward to reading again.
Matty
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
The Arabesk trilogy takes you for a suspense mystery joyride with a bit of cyberpunk thrown in for good measure. I wouldn't recommend this books as an intro to Jon Courtenay Grimwood's work, but his fans will definitely get a lot of entertainment out of this cliffhanger. ~mwb
Neil Pearson
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The best of the trilogy in my opinion - mainly because the supporting cast really shine in this one (it's a given that ashraf is great). Hamzah effendi's past is great as is the development of Avatar and Hani. Plus Colonel Abad is strange but not as Disturbing as St Cloud.
Dean Simons
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty great. Cool themes. Bit of a potboiler. Easier to put down and up again (busy times my end). Roll on final part of the trilogy.
Dana
Shelves: 2011
See Felaheen review.
Peter Harrow
Oct 18, 2008 rated it liked it
a continuation of the story in Pashersde, the hero now has a place but is still seeking to define his identity
Thebookmistress
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very creative setting, not sure the characters were very interesting in themselves.
Tom
May 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
I abandoned it half way through - a very unrewarding read. Various story threads which will doubtless assemble at some point, thin characterisation, jumbled ideas.
Regine
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, ottoman-empire
Smooth heat.
Zach
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I liked this more than the first one. It deals with some fairly heavy issues, and ties them all together nicely.
Cydney
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
I found the characters and setting interesting but the story telling is too slow. I've abandoned this series
Kiran
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
this sequel was even more brutal and engrossing than the first. alexandria comes alive with intrigue, murder, political standoff and a dysfunctional romance.
Steve
Aug 26, 2018
Mia Tasic
Mar 29, 2013
Goodreads Librari...: wrong title 2 12 Jul 03, 2016 09:32AM

• Elvissey
  • The Exile Kiss
  • Globalhead
  • The Sky Road (The Fall Revolution, #4)
  • Spin Control (Spin Trilogy, #2)
  • Back in the USSA
  • Fairyland
  • Natural History
  • The Third Claw of God (Andrea Cort #2)
  • Context (The Nulapeiron Sequence, 2)
  • A Secret History (Book of Ash,  #1)
  • Sky Coyote (The Company, #2)
  • The Web of Spider (Spider, #3)
  • A Place So Foreign and Eight More
'Tough, sexy and brutal, but leavened with sharp humour... Grimwood is a name to watch.' The Times

Jon Courtenay Grimwood was born in Malta and christened in the upturned bell of a ship. He grew up in the Far East, Britain and Scandinavia. Apart from novels he writes for magazines and newspapers. He travels extensively and undertakes a certain amount of consulting. Until recently he wrote a monthly

Arabesk (3 books)
  • Pashazade (Arabesk, #1)
  • Felaheen
“the answer was no, whatever her query was, except for those bits to which his answer was yes” 2 likes
“that opening position in every negotiation. The one that said, out of the goodness of my heart I'm going to agree to rob you blind.” 1 likes