Start by marking “Hope Never Dies (Obama Biden Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hope Never Dies (Obama Biden Mysteries, #1)

Hope Never Dies

(Obama Biden Mysteries #1)

3.50  ·  Rating details ·  9,843 ratings  ·  2,482 reviews
It's been several months since the 2016 presidential election, and "Uncle Joe" Biden is puttering around his house, grouting the tile in his master bathroom, feeling lost and adrift in an America that doesn't make sense anymore.

But when his favorite Amtrak conductor dies in a suspicious accident, Joe feels a familiar desire to serve - and he leap into the role of amateur s
Published July 10th 2018 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Hope Never Dies, please sign up.
Michelle Elizabeth Why not? I never censor kids. I love when kids find their own voices, so to speak, when it comes to reading. That's how life-long readers are made.
Andrew Shaffer It's not out today because I'm still putting some finishing touches on it. But the good news is that it will be out July 10th now! *throws patriotic c…moreIt's not out today because I'm still putting some finishing touches on it. But the good news is that it will be out July 10th now! *throws patriotic confetti*(less)

·  9,843 ratings  ·  2,482 reviews

Start your review of Hope Never Dies (Obama Biden Mysteries, #1)
Rincey
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is just 1000% camp-y fan fiction. Don't read too much into it. Like there were points in the book where I was like, "Obama/Biden would never say/do/act like that" but then I would shake it off and just keep on keeping on. The mystery is fine, nothing really to write home about.

Also, someone give this cover designer a raise.

Watch me discuss this book in my July wrap up: https://youtu.be/8kaQcaNn9uw
catherine ♡
Why is this the best and most hilarious thing I've ever seen in my life
Betsy
Apr 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery
You know at first I wasn't going to read this but let's be real, after however long we've been living in this ungodly hell of the Trump adminstration (it can't be just a year, it feels TOO LONG) I'm obviously going to read this.
Leah Blackwell
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know where to start on how happy this book made me. From the minute I saw the cover pop up on a friend's goodreads shelf it has done nothing but make me laugh. I even drew some fan art. not even kidding. This book is clearly absurd. Not thought provoking. Not written with beautiful prose or mind-bending plot twists. But it is magical. I'm buying cases of this book for all my friends and relatives this Christmas. Thanks NetGalley!
Casey
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Let's face it: reading the news these days has replaced cardio for many of us as our heart rate skyrockets from the headlines alone. Remember when we had a cool/sometimes embarrassing dad president with a charismatic veep who just called out malarkey when he saw it? No, it wasn't 100 years ago, but it sure feels like it lately.

In this delightful romp of a book, Biden is feeling a little sorry for himself since Obama seems to never call because he has a lot of hip, young friends like Bradley Coop
Brandon
The 2016 Presidential Election has ended. Former Vice President Joe Biden doesn’t quite know what to do with himself. As he watches his former boss Barack Obama vacationing with the likes of Richard Branson, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Hollywood superstar Bradley Cooper, he feels discarded and hopeless. All this changes when Obama arrives on Joe’s doorstep one evening with the news of the death of a dear friend of Joe’s..

Hope Never Dies is a fun read with an interesting premise –
Sara
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think if you're going to write a murder mystery wherein the former president of the United States and his hetero lifemate VP solve a murder you've gotta go big or go home. I either want to be laughing my ass off or bowled over by just how accurate the characters are.

Alas neither was the case with this very tepid, relatively well plotted mystery that paints Obama and Biden as a sort of old married couple on the outs. Barack hasn't called since the end of their stint in the Whitehouse and Joe (
Barbara

Former Vice President Joe Biden is in low spirits. Since leaving office he's been idling around his Wilmington, Delaware home, feeling bored.

Meanwhile, Biden's 'best friend', former President Barack Obama, has been hanging out with celebrities all over the world - parasailing, windsurfing; kayaking; and BASE jumping in Hong Kong with Bradley Cooper.

As Biden is throwing darts at a picture of Bradley Cooper on his office wall, he's fuming about Obama not calling, texting, emailing.....or
Edita S.
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Y’all.

Wut.

This is campy as hell, no doubt about that. Containing some amazing moments such as (slight spoilers):

(view spoiler)

Would totally recommend.

* Thanks, Netgalley!
Char
As soon as I saw the cover of this book, I knew I had to have it! Thanks to NetGalley and to Quirk Books for granting my wish.

Andrew Shaffer takes the former leader of the free world, joins him back up with Joe Biden, and together they work on a mystery. Amtrak Joe lost a friend, an engineer on the train that he rode nearly every day before he before he became Vice President. (This story is told from Joe's point of view.) After discovering a few unsavory facts about his friend and discovering a
Leigh Kramer
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
If you've wondered what Joe and Barack have been up to since leaving the presidential office or what might happen if they teamed up to solve mysteries, HOPE NEVER DIES is the book you never knew you always needed.

Essentially Obama-Biden fanfic, this was such a fun ride. And honestly, reading it did give me hope. I mean. What if Obama and Biden really are out there fighting crime? Lord knows we could use their help. Just the thought of this being a possibility made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Joe Bid
Diane
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was so much fun!

"Hope Never Dies" is a murder mystery combined with a bromance. In this case the two buddies are Joe Biden and Barack Obama. When the novel opens, Joe is depressed and misses hanging out with Barack, who soon shows up with news that a railroad employee Joe knew has been found dead. The two decide to investigate, and it was a delight to see how the story played out. The author has a good sense of humor, and I enjoyed the conversations between the former president & vice
Debbie
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
YES I IMPULSE BOUGHT THIS AT THE BOOKSTORE TODAY. DON'T JUDGE ME.

I read this in under a day. It is a really fast read, and a surprisingly good one. It's presidential fanfiction and I loved it. It made me super nostalgic for the Obama/Biden bromance (their bromance name is Obiden, pass it on!) and I loved the idea of them teaming up to solve a murder. Because of course they would.

I laughed so much during this book. And I really hope this is book one in a long, long series.
Misfit
Ugh, what a mashed up mess. I would typically have rolled my eyes and moved along, but since this was written by the author of the hilarious Fifty Shames of Earl Grey, I decided to give it a whirl.

Clever idea (I guess) to have Obama and Biden getting involved in solving a mystery (is this going to be a series?), but I hate to say it - the jokes fell flat, as did the characters, as did the mystery. Biden is the narrator (first person), and he was especially annoying and his constant falls and in
Rebecca
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5, it might not be great literature but this will be the feel good read of the summer. It’s like all those meme you love come to life.
Ariel
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is this book 100% Barack Obama and Joe Biden fanfic where they solve crimes together in a sweet-ass car? Yes, it is. I love Quirk Books as a publishing company because they publish the weird, quirky shit that other people wouldn't think of. Like who would have gone "oh hey, now that Obama/Biden are out of the White House, let's write a book about them?" Andrew Shaffer, that's who.
This was a fun book. It was engaging. I can't attest to how well the author sticks to the personalities of Obama and
Delightful! I went into this with somewhat dubious expectations, but I really enjoyed it and hope this is the beginning of a series.

Joe Biden has been out of office for six months, and he's down in the dumps. He hasn't heard a word from his old friend Barack Obama, and meanwhile he's tortured by a constant stream of photos of Barack having fun with various celebrities. But when Barack shows up to break the news that Joe's favorite Amtrak conductor was killed--and found with a map marking Joe's h
Joshua
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I mean, it was Barack Obama and Joe Biden in a murder-mystery-action-thriller. I got exactly what I expected and I loved it.
Colleen Fauchelle
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
loved this story.
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
Actual rating: 3.5/5 stars, rounded up because it was just really fun.

Hilarious, campy, and some welcome relief from the stressful state of American politics today, Hope Never Dies is one of those quick and wacky reads that you’re not always certain you’re in love with, but also just can’t put down. Plus, an Obama-Biden bromance, from good ol’ Uncle Joe’s point of view? How can that not be freaking amazing?

It’s hard to write a lengthy review for a book like this, because…well...it’s a satire. It
Maine Colonial
Thanks to the publisher for providing a free review copy.

When I saw the cover of this book, it cracked me up and I just had to read it. It’s a lightweight and quick read, but I was surprised to find that as mysteries go, it’s not bad.

But the main appeal is that it’s told from the point of view of Joe Biden. I don’t know the guy in real life, but I think we all have an idea of what he’s like and Andrew Shaffer pegs that. Biden wears his heart on his sleeve, he’s corny and old-fashioned—and he ta
Claire
A more joyful read than my 3 stars suggest. If you want an easy, breezy, holiday read this is the kind of fun you need in your life. Who doesn’t want to read about Joe Biden head-butting a bikie?
Kelly
This is totally ridiculous and a total delight to read. Good for when you need a palate cleanser of a read that's literal Joe/Barry fan fiction. I enjoyed every second of it.
Mainon
I have always wanted to read a book in which Barack Obama and Joe Biden team up to solve a mystery. I just didn't know it until I saw this book.

It was exactly the bittersweet catharsis I'd hoped, although Obama's character wasn't as recognizable as I would have wished. I think he's warmer than the reserved version described here. Joe's pretty great, though, if a little bit overly emotional. The mystery itself is perfectly serviceable, too. I'll read the sequel if there is one.

I received a copy
Patrick
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe Biden is bummed. He and Barack Obama have drifted apart. They were brothers til the end, but it seems like the end came along with the end of the administration. Biden is left feeling his age as Obama wide-surfs with Bradley Cooper. Then one night, Obama drops in with horrible news about one of Biden's favorite Amtrak conductors. This is the first in a series of events that leads old Amtrak Joe down a twisting path to uncover the truth of his friend's untimely death, clear his name, and give ...more
Melissa Rose
Let me preface this review by stating that this particular book is not great literature; it is corny as hell and reads like terrible fanfiction. However, I believe that that is part of what makes 'Hope Never Dies' a genius. I mean, what could be more entertaining than reading about Joe Biden and Barack Obama solving crimes in a sweet car?

Considering who the characters in this novel are, I don’t believe that I need to go into characters too much. However, in terms of the mystery, I wasn't expecti
Scott Rhee
It’s the day after the elections. As a friend just recently told me, “We live in a weird state.” It’s true: Ohio is weird. We elected Sherrod Brown to the U.S. Senate with 53.2% of the votes (yay!), but we somehow elected Mike Dewine as governor with 50.7% of the votes. (WTF?)

But I don’t think Ohio is unique. If anything, it’s a microcosm of the schizophrenic nature of the entire United States. We want to elect good people, and sometimes we do, but we also---accidentally?---elect assholes like
Kevin Kelsey
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
A detective novel with Biden and Obama as protagonists is just too golden an idea to pass up. It was hilarious and really enjoyable to read.
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Former VP Joe Biden has spent the months following the 2016 election puttering around his house in a state of depression.  While he's grouting the master bathroom, Barack Obama is living his best life with stars like Bradley Cooper and has seemingly forgotten Uncle Joe.

Joe is surprised when Barack shows up at his home one evening to tell him about the death of an Amtrak conductor Biden befriended years ago during his time in the senate.  The death is suspicious and Joe feels the need to find the
Joe
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw "Hope Never Dies" advertised on Goodreads, I assumed it was a joke. Not that that's a bad thing. It would have been a very funny joke. The cover alone brought me great joy. Obama and Biden solving mysteries together? Yes please!

So when I picked up the book and found out it was for realsys and written like a Dan Brown thriller? Joey was quite happy.

HND picks up about a year after the election of he who shall not be named (and never is in the book). Biden is in a funk. Obama has b

• The Library Book
  • Unbound: A Tale of Love and Betrayal in Shanghai
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • Ministers of Grace: The Unauthorized Shakespearean Parody of Ghostbusters
  • Failure is Impossible: Susan B. Anthony in Her Own Words
  • The Summer of Paintless Toenails: Losing a Son--Gaining a Grandson: One Awesome Grandma Making a Difference
  • The Great Divorce
  • Becoming
  • The Adventures of Barry & Joe: Obama and Biden's Bromantic Battle for the Soul of America
  • The President Is Missing
  • I am Home portraits of immigrant teenagers
  • Muhammad Ali: A Champion Is Born
Andrew Shaffer is the New York Times bestselling author of more than a dozen books. He lives with his wife, novelist Tiffany Reisz, in Louisville, Kentucky, where he teaches at Lexington's non-profit Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning and Louisville Literary Arts.

Obama Biden Mysteries (2 books)
  • Hope Rides Again (Obama Biden Mysteries, #2)

News & Interviews

“We do have funerals for the living," Jill said. "They're called birthday parties.” 11 likes
“We passed a pickup that was doing fifty-five in a fifty-five. Clearly a sociopath.” 10 likes