Start by marking “Shine!” as Want to Read:
Shine!

Shine!

"Inspirational, commonsensical, and a whole lot of fun." --James Patterson

Everyone deserves to shine in this sparkling new book from the New York Times bestselling author of Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library , Chris Grabenstein, and coauthor J.J. Grabenstein--just right for fans of Word of Mouse and The Fourteenth Goldfish.

"Who do you want to be?" asks Mr. Van Deusen. "And not when"Who
Hardcover
Published October 1st 2018 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Shine!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shine!

Start your review of Shine!
Ms. Yingling
E ARC provided by Netgalley

Piper Milly and her father live on the east coast, where her father teaches music at a local middle school in order to give her more stability than his dream job of writing Broadway musicals, since her mother died when she was three. Piper is interested in space and is a big fan of the scientist and personality Nellie Dumont Frisse, and she's trying to decide who she wants to be as a person. When her father takes a better paying job at Chumley P
Katie Reilley
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the authors and Random House Kids for providing the #bookexpedition group an ARC of Shine! to read and share.

Because of her dad’s job, Piper has to move (mid-school year) to a new private school. There, she becomes a target for the school’s richest star-student, and Piper wonders how she’ll survive. Luckily she meets a great group of misfits and has an amazing Science teacher that help her feel a little more comfortable.

When a contest centered around excellence is announced at her
Shannon  - G
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet middle grade book!
Kelle
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so sweet and kind. The main character Piper moves to a new private school where she has to learn to fit in. Through interesting characters, the main themes of friendship and being true to oneself shine through. This is a great read for upper elementary or even a quick read for middle school. Themes can be discussed in literature circles or around the dinner table.
Violet Sinclair
DISCLAIMER: I received a digital review copy of SHINE! via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I haven’t read a Chris Grabenstein book since ESCAPE FROM MR. LEMONCELLO’S LIBRARY and I’ve kind of lost interest in that series. So, while I was lowkey anticipating this book, I was a little worried that I wouldn’t enjoy it.

I very much did enjoy it.

It was predictable, but I really enjoyed the overall message of it.

Perfect for fans of Nickelodeon’s VICTORIOUS and Beth Vra
Theresa
I’m happy I received an ARC of this middle grade book from the publisher at BEA 2019. This first outing by JJ Grabenstein co-authoring with his wife did not disappoint. 12 year old Piper is now going to a prestigious school because her dad has been hired as the music teacher, but she doesn’t see herself as talented or as rich as the other kids. However, she has a passion for space and astronomy. Piper does make friends at her new school, but finds challenges around every corner. Now the school h ...more
Christine Airey
I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book so I could give an honest review.

Shine!, a quick read, stand-alone novel is co-authored by Chris Grabenstein with his wife, J.J. Grabenstein. It is about twelve-year-old Piper who moves to a new school in the middle of the school year. She encounters bullies and befriends other misfits. The story is meant to be inspirational and encouraging. It is a mostly believable and entertaining story except Piper is able to make friends rath
Jessica
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and inspiring.

Wow! This may be my new favorite Chris Grabenstein title. (Though I adore the Mr. Lemoncello series). Everyone should read this book, period. Me, I want to be me, and a little bit more like Piper Milly.

This book made me laugh, cry and truly have all the feels. We all know an Ainsley, someone who uses the system or brings other down to lift herself up. Who thinks about only herself. Whose needs to be first, the best, above everything.

Such
Christine
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Piper's not quite sure how to stand out, especially when she finds that she needs to do it in a whole new environment. The question that drives this whole quest comes from her honors English teacher: "Who do you want to be?" asks Mr. Van Deusen. "And not when you grow up. Right now." Luckily she finds many like-minded friends as she searches for the things that make her special. I really enjoyed tracking Piper's evolution on this question through her journal entries.

F.T. Bradley
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading SHINE!, and it did not disappoint. I loved Piper, the sweet message (while still providing plenty of depth in plot and character).

I've been a big fan of Chris Grabenstein's work; I think SHINE! shows a new side to his writing. JJ Grabenstein clearly should have started writing long ago! Such a great book, one that gets it right on all levels: plot, character, setting, and theme.

I could see SHINE! being a great classroom read, at-hom
Michelle
Thanks to Netgalley.com for a review copy of this book.

Twelve-year-old Piper’s hero is astronaut Nellie Dumont. The astronaut’s mantra is “shine on,” and Piper tries to follow it, but she thinks she’s not special enough to shine like other kids. On top of everything, Piper has just been enrolled in her new school, Chumley Prep, where she can’t seem to find her niche. This book is perfect for fans of Jennifer L. Holm and Wendy Mass.

Carol R.
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Move over Lemoncello series, my all-time favorite from Chris Grabenstein. He's back with his wife on a new venture - SHINE!

I loved it. Loved the message, the writing, the plot, and the characters. Planning now to make it a book club read or suggest it for an in-class read at our school.

Hope the talented duo of Chris & JJ will write a sequel.

Thanks to NetGalley for an e-ARC. This review is my honest opinion.
Karen McKenna
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be perfectly frank, I was a little underwhelmed at the beginning of this book. A mean, rich bully from a private school makes fun of the public school kids at a choir competition. Then, the protagonist, Piper, finds out she has to go to that private school midyear on a scholarship when her dad is hired as the new music director. Mean girl continues to be mean because of course she has a mom that pushes her to be the best and bullies her. The story is one that has been told time and time again ...more
Jordan Caldwell
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be required reading for ALL middle school students. I cried at the end. I had a feeling that it was going to play out a certain way, and I’m SO glad I was right. This book is brilliant in every way. Not only does it showcase the power that one child has to make a difference, our MC, Piper, was into science and astronomy. I LOVE middle grades books with female characters that like science. We need more books like this. I found myself highlighting so many quotes that I can’t wait ...more
Jaymie
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[I received an electronic review copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.]

I want to hug this book! This was delightful. Piper is the sort of middle grade protagonist I adore - smart, quirky, and kind. I loved the group of friends she finds at Chumley, and the ways she discovers to be herself there. This would be perfect for a classroom read aloud, a book group, reading at home, classroom libraries and all the rest. Don't miss this on
Jennifer Muller
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I  received a free digital copy of this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

Honestly, I love all things by Chris Grabenstein. To hear he put out a book with his wife JJ? I was down with it.

I enjoyed this sweet book. It's all about learning where you fit in at a new school while learning to be true to yourself!
Allison
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-books
SHINE! by J.J. and Chris Grabenstein is a heartwarming, humorous look at middle school, family, friends, and who you want to be. Readers will root for Piper as she navigates the ups and downs of being the new kid at school. Here's hoping all students find their own group of "Hibbleflits" to support them. Fans of Gordon Korman or Andrew Clements will love SHINE!
Christie
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adults and middle grade readers alike are going to relate to the struggles the main character faces. As the cover suggests one of the central questions revolves around the idea of just how many people can SHINE? It also makes the reader consider: How can you excel? & Who do you want to be? It does so
in a way that’s inspiring and not preachy, while entertaining the reader and keeping them engaged in the story.
Jennifer Muller

Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Who, not what, do you want to be?" is an important question and this story does a great job leaving middle graders with something important to ponder.
Massanutten Regional Library
Margo, Central patron, July 2019, 5 stars:

What a great message of being kind and thinking of others during your school day.
Emily Kidd
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shine! tells my favorite kind of middle grade story: coming of age and discovering who you are! We’re introduced to Piper who suddenly has to move from her public school to the preppy private school because her dad got a new job. We watch Piper face a series of growing pains as she tries to adjust to her new school including a popular bully named Ainsley who tries to thwart her at every turn.

The drama only heightens when an announcement that an award will be given out for the student who excels
Danielle Wood
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I loved this book SO MUCH! It was a light, quick read - so many grade school kiddos could be encouraged to read it. I love how it placed an emphasis on kindness over performance. I can’t wait to read it to my kids!
Ron
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an advanced reader copy of this book. It is the story of a girl who ends up at a new middle school when her dad takes a new job as the choir director. It is a private school and the girl isn't sure who she'll fit in with (if anybody). The book is very predictable to an adult but should still be entertaining to an older elementary/middle school kid.
Mackenzie Lauka
Very cute story with a great message! Will share an important message with middle schoolers about loving who you are and what it means to excel and do good.
Mr. Steve
Really enjoyed this book and I think kids will like it. Reluctant readers too, as this book is (relatively) short. Kudos to the Grabensteins!
Ali
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how this book highlights Piper’s kind heart! Middle school introduces and magnifies dealing with the “haves and have nots” in life. Piper is an everyday kid who makes a difference every day! She is always there to help anyone in need. This is a wonderful story to encourage kids to ‘do the right thing even when {you think} no one is watching.’
Michele
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
While trying to compete with the success of her late mother, who was an accomplished student and musician, Piper learns that it’s your everyday tasks and choices that truly define who you are.
Great father-daughter relationship and strong friendships throughout. Predictable ending, but I wouldn't have wanted it to end differently!
Lesley
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
“How do we use the stars when we wish to journey safely into the vast unknown? It’s simple, really…. We just need to find one star…. The one that’s always constant and true.” (174)

J.J. and Chris Grabenstein’s new novel Shine! really does shine. This is a valuable story about how adolescents can shine just by being their best selves. It is a story of the importance of kindness and caring for others, perfect for Grades 4-8.

Seventh grader Piper Milly lives with her father, a
Elizabeth
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shine! was a delightful book with a fast paced story that will be perfect for 10-12 year olds. Piper Milly is a middle schooler that is placed in a new situation and must learn to find her inner star while navigating the twists and turns of early adolescence. She has a wonderful and supportive father and the memory of her mother remains strong in their family. Piper learns many lessons along the way and emerges as a confident and kind young lady.

The authors painted a realistic, albei

• White Bird
  • Look Both Ways
  • The World Ends in April
  • Allies
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change
  • My Jasper June
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • Jackpot
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Beverly, Right Here