Start by marking “Hotel on Shadow Lake” as Want to Read:
Hotel on Shadow Lake

Hotel on Shadow Lake

When Maya was a girl, her grandmother was everything to her: teller of magical fairy tales, surrogate mother, best friend. Then her grandmother disappeared without a trace, leaving Maya with only questions to fill the void. Twenty-seven years later, her grandmother’s body is found in a place she had no connection to. Desperate for answers, Maya begins to unravel secrets th ...more
Published February 1st 2018 by Legend Press

To ask other readers questions about Hotel on Shadow Lake, please sign up.
Mary B. Mostly historical fiction but there is a little bit of a magical story theme in it as well.

Melisa
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounded up stars because I definitely shed a tear!

This one had a slow start but really picked up pace at about the halfway point, and once it did, I was all in. A sad, touching love story in the midst of the atrocities of World War II and a mystery to discover what really happened all those years ago.

In the Acknowledgements, the author mentioned that she drew from a true family story pulled from letters and diaries passed along the years. And if this isn’t any historical fiction fan’s dream
Julie
Hotel on Shadow Lake by Daniela Tully is a 2018 Thomas Dunne/ St. Martin’s Press publication.

What an incredible story!

Maya’s grandmother, Martha, was the most influential and important person in her life. But, when she was sixteen years old, Maya’s grandmother disappeared, never to be seen or heard from again…

Twenty-seven years later, Martha’s remains are found in upstate New York, a place she had no connection to. Needing to come to terms with the way her grandmother died, and why she died, M
Diane S ☔
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When we first start reading we are in Germany, Hitler is in power, and soon Jews will be rounded up, their businesses destroyed. To Martha a young woman in Munich, this is something she finds appalling, her politics and thoughts aligned with her now dead father, who saw this coming. During this time she will see many things, become fearful of her twin brother Wolfgang, who fully supports Hitler. She will fall in love with a man who is not who he appears.

A dual story line, in the present day, Mar
Dash fan
4☆ A Beautifully Poignant read. That is steeped in History!

Hotel on Shadow Lake is a story set in Munich. It's a Poignant read filled with secrets, heartbreak, war time history and mystery.

The first part tells the story of Martha and growing up as a young women in the time when Hitler ruled Germany in the 1930s
Martha has a twin brother Wolfgang and we get to experience how he becomes a man and treats Martha appallingly.
He dies. But Martha receives a letter from him 46years later.

I adored all the
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

“Well, in the name of the German Federal Postal Services, we would like to apologize very much for the delay.”… She brought the envelope closer to her eyes. The postmark read December 27, 1944… “This letter was held up, and,” he started to explain, “now that the wall has come down, it finally found its way to you.”

She had always known that the secrets were only sleeping. Now they had finally woken up and come back to haunt her.

“Individuality”— a word that was as misplaced in Fas
Marialyce
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
3 sometimes intriguing stars

War has separated so many people, so many stories, so many lives, and lovers.

In this book we meet Maya and her grandmother, Martha Weisberg. They both have lived in Germany although Maya had spent some time in upstate New York during college. Grandmother, with a twin brother, had lived under the beginnings of the Nazi regime and through the war. She meets and eventually falls in love with a young man, Hans. However, there are deep secrets and frightening things going
Dean Cummings
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s 2017 and Maya has returned to her childhood home in Munich, Germany. After such a long absence, she finds herself back in her childhood bedroom, the same bedroom her beloved grandmother slept in two generations before. Maya has come home after learning that her grandmother, missing since 1990, apparently died in a landslide in the USA of all places…also, the accident probably happened the same year she herself visited the United States. Considering that Maya’s grandmother was not a world tr ...more
sue
This is a sad historical fiction.

The positive side to this book for me is, it’s been inspired by the authors family history (I believe??) which makes it hit Home more.

It’s written well but for the placement of trying to follow this story had me going back and forth, back and forth in a sometimes confusing manner.

The first part was about her growing up.
That’s a positive. Easier to read and not confusing.

Then halfway through it all started to make sense.

When Maya was given a book and the person wh
TL
I received this via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own:).
----

Shouldn't have started this when I was sick haha... I don't read very well when I don't feel good usually (Audiobooks are the exception oddly enough) but getting off topic here. Don't mind me.

Got some Kate Morton vibes while reading this one (not complaining)... beautiful story that I will come back to once my brain isn't foggy.

Looking for a proper review? Sorry for now *sheepish* but I wou
Susan Hampson
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can you imagine answering a knock at the door to find the postman with a letter for you that has been stuck in time for over 40 years, the contents of which will not come to light again for a further 27 years, after a grim discovery.

This is some story which was more a case of the book absorbing me rather than me absorbing the book. I just simply disappeared into it and didn’t resurface until it was read. The story spans almost a hundred years as it darts back and forth over four generations of M
Cindy
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, 2018-netgalley
Hotel on Shadow Lake was a both a beautiful and a sad story. It involves the lives of two women in different years, 1938 and 2017. It's an excellent family saga.

1938 showed the horrors of living in Nazi Germany. 2017 we follow the granddaughter of the main character from 1938. I found that to be quite interesting seeing the differences between the years in the two women

There was a little bit of everything in this story besides historical fiction. Romance, suspense, secrets hidden for years, and
Pamela
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This had a good premise, but, for me, was poorly executed. I felt at times the story was just jumbled together and I had a hard time staying focused while reading it. I think that Ms. Tully has promise as a writer, but I'm not really sure I would read anything by her again anytime soon.

**Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley in exchange of an honest review.**
Anna
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, what a read!

First of all, I feel very proud to have received the book from the hands of Daniela herself at the launch of 'Hotel on Shadow Lake'. It smelled so good being freshly printed... but I am getting off-topic here.

In her book Daniela Tully unveils a family story taking its start in Nazi Germany and, through a set of mysterious and elaborate events, leading us to a puzzling death case in the modern days United States. There are two (+) lines of narration presenting the modern days even
Up All Night With Books
***ARC received in exchange for an honest review***

A story that is told over the test of time, when people try and move on, live a life that they are expected to live, during times that are not so good to have it all come to a boiling point decades later. Daniela Tully gives us this brilliantly done story, Hotel on Shadow Lake. This story touches so many genres, that it has something for every book reader: romance, mystery, historical, cultural-Germany, and some contemporary. Besides all that it
Stephanie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though Hotel on Shadow Lake wasn’t quite like I expected it to be, I enjoyed it a lot. Set in Germany in the late 1930s and USA across the decades it demonstrates the devastation caused by the horror of WW2 and also how greed can destroy lives.In 1930’s Munich, Martha has differing views to her mother and twin brother about the country’s political situation. She is constantly being warned that she needs to keep her thoughts to herself.In 2017, Maya is desperate to find out why the remains o ...more
Bridget Vollmer
I found this to be an overall enjoyable historical fiction/mystery read, although I do wish the characters would have been fleshed out more. I definitely got a Kate Morton/Gothic vibe while reading it which I liked.

I really enjoyed the setting of this novel and how Daniela Tully addresses the persecution of LBQT under the Nazis regime. I also enjoyed her writing style and alternating POV from present day to late 1930's - the addition of the fairy tale was different and interesting.

I really wasn'
Bonnye Reed
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GNab Daniela Tully brings us an excellent historical novel, taking place in upstate New York and Munich, Germany with a back-and-forth timeline during WWII, in 1990, and in 2017. Ms. Tully keeps us well informed of who is where and when so there is no confusion, and the story is sweet, the mystery well hidden and the people empathetic. This was a fast read - and I sure hope it will not be a long wait for Daniela Tully's second novel.

I received a free electronic copy of this novel from Netgalley
Annie Meikle
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently had the pleasure of reading Hotel on Shadow Lakeby Daniela Tully thanks to a pre-release copy. The novel begins by following a young woman named Maya. Maya's grandmother disappeared years earlier and Maya has new clues as to her whereabouts near the end of her life. As the young woman delves further into her grandmother's past, the novel shifts and begins to flesh out the details of the grandmother's life, moving the reader into Germany on the cusp of the second world war where Maya's ...more
Kelly Love Books
When I received my ARC copy it was quite daunting as it only had a bright white cover with a bold black font. It gave me no hint of what I might expect. I have to be honest I was not over enthused to dive in. I was a fool and the saying ‘never judge a book by its cover’ couldn’t have been truer in this case. I have to say I do love the finished cover, it is beautiful with the shades of green and the hint of photographs in the background. I can’t wait to see one in person.
The book flip-flops betw
Maria
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Martha, Maya and Hans and how their lives become intertwined through the years, starting before the second war and ending in the present. Neither of them had an easy life but you will feel their emotions like it's your own skin.
Ready to enter to the Shadow Lake Hotel?

This is a bitter sweet love story told between the years and in moments where life was more precious than even love.
In the beginning I wasn't sure what to expect of this book, a murder commited 20 years ago? I w
Olivia Johnson
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished the book last night and started to read it again, I have never done that before but i'm sure I will gain even more from the book now i know the twists and turns .

I was hooked by Martha's life and cared about her in the beginning, the author has some very poignant phrases such as " it is better to not be liked by them then be liked for something you are not " .

The second half of the book had me gripped, its a real page turner and allows the first half of the book to slot into place in
Miss G
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What can I saw. Having received this book from the author herself it took me awhile to find the time to read the book and then once I did I just couldn’t put it down. I felt so sad when I finished the book that I actually shed a few tears. This novel has everything to keep you engaged, its a tale of tragedy , courage , family betrayal , and a powerful love story that never ended despite the distance and the decades! I will miss reading about Hans, Martha and Maya so much that I may have to ...more
Zumrud Ibrahim
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is absolutely beautiful, I could not put the book down. Thank you Ms. Tully!
Dorian Lange
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read. You will not be able to put it down. A refreshingly new, intimate perspective on the historical period.
Karen Kay
I received this from netgalley.com in for a review.

Maya travels from her home in Germany to New York hoping to unravel why her grandmother died there 25 yrs earlier.

There is in-depth look at Hitler's political 'aspirations' generously sprinkled through-out the book which I think bogged down the story of Martha and Hans. It did help to understand the absolute insanity of that time but made the story feel jumbled up and harder to follow.

Cheryl
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martha is a remarkable woman in a horrific period of modern history that is portrayed in a sickeningly realistic and objective way. The author is at pains to create believable, multi-layered characters, so that even Martha's brother is presented as more than just the caricature of a revolting Nazi thug, with inner turmoil that explains if not justifies his behaviour. The connections with the hotel owner's family seemed somewhat contrived, and I found that the added plotline of the mysterious and ...more
Michael Campbell
A wonderful story by an amazing storyteller. Hotel on Shadow Lake is an impressive novel full of history and mystery; love, life and loss, the magical, and ultimately a special kind redemption that brings it all together.

In her debut novel, Tully tells a story that spans continents and generations. It tells the horror of one of humanity's darkest hours and what it did to those stuck in the middle, be it mindless acceptance, magical escapism, sacrifice, or the big and small resistances that prov
Tanya
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A captivating read!
I read this book in a matter of days and found myself thinking about the characters while I wasn’t reading it. The pace of the writing moved along well and kept me wanting to find out what would happen next. The story weaves in and out of two time periods connecting two generations of women. The story of the grandmother Martha is particularly gripping. I felt her fear along with her and actually held my breath in suspense at times.
I sometimes got lost remembering the charact
samedzade
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! The way Tully keeps you engaged by moving between different timelines is captivating. I love reading books where you have to figure things out while the book is unfolding (e.g. Dan Brown books for instance) however this book gave me what Dan Brown's books lack. It's not over-simplified with very short chapters where you don't have time to think, in contrast it takes a step back and let's you absorb what you're reading.
It would make for a fantastic movie in fact!Dan Brown
Rebecca
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very rarely cry reading a book but this one got to me! Gripping and beautifully told, I became very involved in the characters and couldn’t put it down straight from the start. I loved how the story jumped between narratives over different time periods, it was a wonderful way to tie the generations together in a mystery and learn more about that period of history through different people’s eyes. I can’t wait for Daniella Tully’s next book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add translator 3 20 Apr 25, 2019 12:41PM

• Beauty and Attention
  • Madame Presidentess
  • Becky: The Life and Loves of Becky Thatcher
  • Blackwood Crossing (British Agent, #2)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
  • Miss Etta: A Novel
  • Obama: The Call of History
  • Darkness All Around
  • All That Glitters (A Jake & Laura Mystery, #2)
  • A Concise History of Russia
  • The Figaro Murders
  • The Worthington Wife
  • The Seduction of Miriam Cross (A Delilah Percy Powers Mystery, #1)
  • Katalysatormordet (K2 #3)
  • No Known Grave (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #3)
  • A Gilded Grave (Newport Gilded Age, #1)
  • The Language of the Dead (Inspector Lamb, #1)
  • Caligula (The Damned Emperors #1)